Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 3,703Posts
    • 20,747Thanks
    doingitanyway
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)
    • 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself) 31st Mar 18 at 9:32 AM
    I am debt free but I have neglected myself and my home for years. My home and I have held up well after years of neglect, but we are both shabby and need of care and attention. I need to move on. This house needs a little family to love it. So I am giving myself 20 months for us both to be camera ready, so we can rise from the ashes of debt like phoenixes in 2020.

So over the next 20 months I will do a minimum of:

--20 Major home improvements

--20 Minor home improvements

--20 kilos

--20 drab to fab changes

--20 health improvements

--20 giant frogs to eat

--20 normal sized frogs to eat

I will set a monthly goal in each category and moan, whinge report on it throughout the month until it is done

For APRIL it looks like this:

—Fix the roof

—Find window film for living room, put it up, clean the window and get curtains taken up

—Lose 2 kilos

—Wear tinted lip balm and perfume everyday in April.

—Walk 3 miles at least once a week

—Get insurances in place. This is A GIANT FROG outstanding for over a decade

—Get glasses. This is a normal sized frog outstanding for 3 years.

So, here I go…
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 31-03-2018 at 6:46 PM.
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    NSD December 5/31 AFD 2/10, SFD 0/10
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
Page 6
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 20,747 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Glad you are getting another quote from another roofer .

The coat sounds like a good buy.

Drawingaline has given you some great advice about the kitchen.

Have a good week.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria Lass. The coat was the last one in my size and fingers crossed it fits and suits...
    Sort it Sunday sound like an idea that I most definitely need to implement! Thanks for sharing.

Hope the 'hangover' from food is shifted soon. I'm not intolerent but bread makes me feel terrible and bloated so I try to avoid but this last week i've been seriously off the wagon. It's not worth it.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Feeling a bit better. I was silly to binge on bread as it takes days to 'get straight' again.
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th Apr 18, 7:50 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 20,747 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    zero, nothing, nada
    A good day and sunshine too A chance to wear my sunglasses

I ate badly but less badly than yesterday and much less badly than the day before.

I taught my class and all went well and it was enjoyable

My final debt statement came showing I OWE NOTHING. ZERO. NADA.

House progress goals
    Good
    I got my second quote for the work on my roof and for redoing my porch. This is a roofer I like who did a quote for me last year but I thought it was too much at the time.

I think having debt began to distort what things should cost and to an extent I still struggle with what constitutes a normal price. Even normally priced food looks crazy to me after so much yellow stickering.

Roofer came this morning (before 9am) and a good sign was I did not feel at all anxious. This is the first time this has happened for me. The quote was emailed through to me this evening and the total is just under HALF THE AMOUNT OF THE PREVIOUS ROOFER. I don’t always trust a very cheap quote but this is not cheap and about what I expected it to be. This roofer also has good reviews on check-a-trader and I know him so I will be accepting this quote and the work will be done in two weeks time.

I was phoned by IK£A kitchens and I now have my appointment visit for May

Drab to fab goals
    Good
    I got my eyebrows tinted for the first time ever at the beauty college. £7 for the tint and an eyebrow reshape. The change is subtle but good. I would do it again.

Not so good
    I swerved fat club and came home and ate crisps. However, I did buy spray oil and veggies arrive tomorrow and I AM GOING TO STICK TO IT 100% from tomorrow onwards.

I hope you all had a good day and a little sunshine too
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 58,744 Posts
    • 243,563 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on the roofer quote

We could do a stick to SW challange if you want?
    I have fallan of the Sw bus big time at the moment.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Apr 18, 8:59 PM
    • 2,056 Posts
    • 12,770 Thanks
    redofromstart
    The roofer quote sounds good.

I'm with you on the diet stuff, finally put new batteries in our scales and had a moment last night.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Apr 18, 7:37 AM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 20,747 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Great news on the roofer quote
    We could do a stick to SW challange if you want?
    I have fallan of the Sw bus big time at the moment.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Yes, let's do that. I plan to stick to it exactly today. I say exactly although I replace my A choice with measured 30g of raw nuts (for calcium) as I don't eat dairy and my B choice is a tablespoon of good olive oil as I don't eat bread/gluten. So my plan is to eat all free and speed food all day and at the end of the day list my treats (syns) and A and B choices. Good plan Beanie? You list yours too? Let's go!
    The roofer quote sounds good.
    I'm with you on the diet stuff, finally put new batteries in our scales and had a moment last night.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Redo you can join us in the above if it motivates you?
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 20,747 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    dreaming big
    Health and Wellbeing Goal
    My big goal today is to go to the gym and defer my membership. I am clearly not using it and it is expensive so I need to protect these benefits.

I am applying for a creative award that take would take a miracle to get, but what the hell as the old lottery used to say 'you have to be in it to win it' so I am applying. if I got it they fund 3 months off work to be creative just at the time I am due a sabbatical. If I defer my membership AND get the award I can restart it and build a swim into my daily practice. I KNOW IT IS A LONG SHOT BUT I NEED TO DREAM BIG. If I do what I have always done I will get what I have always got and I have definite Oliver Twist tendencies (I want more)

Another possibility is someone leaves their job, I get a 4 day week. I have more free time, so I use the gym more

What I do know is nothing changes if I do nothing the membership just drains aways not benefiting me at all...

In other goal news, I will be sticking to my eating plan today. I know shock horror, fat person sticks to eating plan all day. Hold the front page.

In less big news. I will be creating menu plans and shopping lists and eagerly awaiting the delivery of vegetables and a coat

Wishing you all a positive day
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Apr 18, 11:05 AM
    • 58,744 Posts
    • 243,563 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes, that sounds good.
    My syns will be mainly orange smarties!!

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Apr 18, 5:37 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 20,747 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Yes, that sounds good.
    My syns will be mainly orange smarties!!
    I did not keep to the plan. I was fine until 1pm then I blew it. And you?
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Apr 18, 5:39 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 20,747 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    mixed blessings
    Not so good
    The day has not gone to plan

I did not stick to the eating plan.

I felt so fed-up I finished work early as I could not bear working for one more minute! Not sure what that is about but sometimes I feel trapped in my job. New changes came today. The role is becoming more and more restrictive. I need to begin to plan an escape route. And quickly. Checked job sites. Nothing out there!

Not sure about the coat. I am thinking about it. Too miserable today to give it a fair chance so I will look at it again tomorrow

I phoned the gym but will need to go in to freeze membership

Veggies came and they are not fresh. I took photos and requested a refund which I got.

Good stuff
    Washing done and dried

A few drudgery jobs done as WFH

I did not keep to the eating plan but I did not eat rubbish as there is none in the house

Pay day next week

I hope you all had a lovely day
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 17th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 6,921 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Sorry today wasn't a great one but it could well be worse. Onwards and upwards and fingers crossed that tomorrow is better.
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 17th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 16,376 Thanks
    parsniphead
    The creative award sounds fantastic. I will keep my fingers crossed you get it.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £502/£502 100% (paid off 30/06/18 - 2 months early )
    Next small debt victim £20/£367 - you're going by 31/08/2018
    Total outstanding consumer debt - £735.68/ £7864.52 9.3%
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 17th Apr 18, 7:59 PM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 10,039 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Oooh wishing you luck with the creative award.

Agree deferring gym is sensible - much better to do something about it, you can decide what next when you need to decide

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...
    Campervan loan progress 12%

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 58,744 Posts
    • 243,563 Thanks
    beanielou
    Healthy eating.What's that.

***Keep plodding***
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 18th Apr 18, 10:59 AM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 6,921 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Another one with fingers crossed about the creative award! That's a fantastic thing to aim for and even if it doesn't go the way you want it to, think of it as a learning and development experience

You mentioned before that a big bonus of the gym is having a nice area to shower since your bathroom isn't how you'd like it - have you given up on that for now? If so, you're doing the right thing by pausing the gym membership.
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Apr 18, 5:29 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 20,747 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    The creative award sounds fantastic. I will keep my fingers crossed you get it.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Oooh wishing you luck with the creative award.
    Agree deferring gym is sensible - much better to do something about it, you can decide what next when you need to decide
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Another one with fingers crossed about the creative award! That's a fantastic thing to aim for and even if it doesn't go the way you want it to, think of it as a learning and development experience
    You mentioned before that a big bonus of the gym is having a nice area to shower since your bathroom isn't how you'd like it - have you given up on that for now? If so, you're doing the right thing by pausing the gym membership.
    The creative award is a pipe dream but I feel I need pipe dreams right now
    The gym was to replace my scuzzy bathroom but it is ending up averaging £40 a shower I go so rarely and that is crazy. I have now decided to swim again as they are being difficult and I am too mean not to make the most of it. I will end up fit through sheer bloodymindedness and I love it once I get into it. Just to get into it now...
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Apr 18, 5:32 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 20,747 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Back on form
    I pulled the plug after plummeting yesterday. I could feel I was on my way down
    I took the day off today to listen to my own needs. I spent an hour today sorting my diary and reading a magazine in a cafe with light streaming through the windows. Heaven.

Frogs
    I spoke to the gym who have now produced grounds on which I can freeze. They are being unpleasant so I will leave it. They made me so cross I will use it 3 times a week from now on. I filled in a cancellation form but I have to make 4 more payments to be free. So be it! I will be swimming 3 times a week from now on!!! My first session will be Sunday.

Household item not got for weeks now purchased!!

Drudge
    Wash upX5
    Clothes wash X1
    New bed linen on
    Bedroom floor swept and bedside table cleared

Garden! Yes you read right
    Cut grass
    Removed small tree/cut up and into gardening recycling
    New shrub planted out

Food
    Potato, leek and wild garlic soup
    Turkey stock made, jarred and ready for freezer
    Prepped carrot sticks (for lunches)
    Grilled sausages (for lunches)
    Carrot and poppy seed salad prepped
    YS shopped £80 of protein (all freezable) fruits and veggies for £20

Drab to fab
    Hair cut
    Bought hair conditioner and decent shampoo
    Dental hygienist appointment made

The house is still mess so I will keep on that for this evening and I will make lunch for the office tomorrow
    I hope you had a positive day too
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 18th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 6,921 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Positive day and productive day! Well done!

Irritating about the unpleasant gym encounter but if you're stuck with it you may as well make the most of it.

Think of the swimming as a chance to clear your mind!

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Apr 18, 10:04 PM
    • 58,744 Posts
    • 243,563 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy the swimming.
    Hope you love the coat

***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Apr 18, 10:19 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 20,747 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Positive day and productive day! Well done!

Irritating about the unpleasant gym encounter but if you're stuck with it you may as well make the most of it.

Think of the swimming as a chance to clear your mind!
    Good point. Swimming will keep me afloat mentally. Sorry about the pun
    Enjoy the swimming.
    Hope you love the coat
    I didn't love the coat enough so back it goes...
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Apr 18, 10:22 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 20,747 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    pescatarian?
    Hold the front page. I had a good day at work! I took in a salad and a sandwich so I did not buy any food at all today when out. I spent £.3.40 on coffee and that is expensive but usually iit is that PLUS food, so an improvement.

I got the quote for the porch and roof through officially. It isn!!!8217;t broken down into labour and the costs of parts and I don!!!8217;t like that each job isn!!!8217;t itemised. I will just agree it as the overall cost is good compared to the other quote, but I don!!!8217;t really like the way he quoted.

For the next job I get done I will ask in advance for an itemised quote broken down into parts and labour.

I decided to send the coat back. It is a total bargain but it is only a bargain if I love it and I like it but I do not love it. I love another coat I already own. It is a short cashmere coat that is quite light. I am going to get it relined probably for the same price as the bargain coat. That way I have one less thing. Make do and mend

I am going back to a minimum of 8 NSDs a week. I want to be a more mindful spender and NSDs help me with this.

I went into MnS and walked out again as there were people grabbing and hovering for YS bargains. I didn!!!8217;t need anything really. I put what I had back. It made me feel uncomfortable. Instead I went to Aldi for some fruits and veggies. Redo said Aldee YS veggies in the mornings I will look out for that. Less pressure than MnS

I have spent years trying to get my shopping right. If my iron levels were better I would seriously consider a pescatarian diet.

Decisions. Decisions...

Wishing you all a lovely sunny weekend
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 20-04-2018 at 10:24 PM.
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,374Posts Today

8,004Users online

Martin's Twitter