Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 3,241Posts
    • 17,245Thanks
    doingitanyway
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)
    • 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself) 31st Mar 18 at 9:32 AM
    I am debt free but I have neglected myself and my home for years. My home and I have held up well after years of neglect, but we are both shabby and need of care and attention. I need to move on. This house needs a little family to love it. So I am giving myself 20 months for us both to be camera ready, so we can rise from the ashes of debt like phoenixes in 2020.

So over the next 20 months I will do a minimum of:

--20 Major home improvements

--20 Minor home improvements

--20 kilos

--20 drab to fab changes

--20 health improvements

--20 giant frogs to eat

--20 normal sized frogs to eat

I will set a monthly goal in each category and moan, whinge report on it throughout the month until it is done

For APRIL it looks like this:

—Fix the roof

—Find window film for living room, put it up, clean the window and get curtains taken up

—Lose 2 kilos

—Wear tinted lip balm and perfume everyday in April.

—Walk 3 miles at least once a week

—Get insurances in place. This is A GIANT FROG outstanding for over a decade

—Get glasses. This is a normal sized frog outstanding for 3 years.

So, here I go…
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 31-03-2018 at 6:46 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 5
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Apr 18, 8:36 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 17,245 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    less wuss-like
    Thanks everyone for your support and comments. They make me feel less wuss-like

I won't get a quote for the roof now for a week and he is busy so the work won't be done for another 3 weeks so I need to move on with another big goal to do with the house. I have been so tired this week but tomorrow I want to make an appointment for a window quote.

I also want to get the window film so I can clean the bay window (this window was replaced in 2010 and is fine) and get the film put up. The curtains need taking up. I wish Parsniphead was local to me so she could take them up.

I get paid in a few weeks and I still have my eye on a Dyson. This house is dirty and dusty The V7 is supposed to be better than the V6 and the price has dropped a fair amount. I'm going to get it from JL so I get the 2 year warranty although JL are not as good for customer service as they used to be but hey ho.

A good day for me today although I was very, very tired. I'm guessing my iron levels have dropped again so going to restart the supplements. Hope you had a good day reader
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Apr 18, 8:41 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 17,245 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    What makes you think that what you struggled with is something everyone else manages? Could it be that everyone isn't as honest as you? Bit like debt when you feel that everyone else has things sorted and it's just you who can't balance the books. Give yourself credit for admitting an issue and tackling it head on
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    This really hit home with me INOD. Thank you
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Apr 18, 8:41 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 11,575 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Don't forget the emotional stress which in itself is very tiring.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 17,245 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Don't forget the emotional stress which in itself is very tiring.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    I really think that is what happened. It took so much nervous energy to get through yesterday. I now want to find ways of getting through without feeling so distressed. One of the things I thought is to make all the appointments in the mornings so I don't go all day feeling anxious. Thanks for the reminder
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Apr 18, 9:09 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 11,575 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Yes and its harder to cancel that way.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Apr 18, 9:23 PM
    • 56,258 Posts
    • 227,610 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good idea on morning appointments.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 17,245 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    house and weight goals
    LOSING 2 KG IN APRIL GOAL
    Last night I had a chocolate binge! I am halfway through the month and my 2kg weight loss target doesnt even have a dent in it. I must step my game!

Ordering another veg box. It is working out at fortnightly and it is definitely helping me eat better. SW includes day as a healthy extra so I am going back to small amounts of non cows cheese as it also helps jazz up veggies

Wild garlic leaves came in last weeks box and Ive just made a frittata with grated potatoes, wild garlic leaves and grated sheeps cheese. I added smoked paprika to the mix and Ive decorated it with toasted blue sesame seeds. It looks so pretty! I would be happy to serve it for one of the lunches I never have because my house is such a state I cant let anyone in

Prepped for fridge:
    Beef chilli
    Beef and black bean burger
    Shredded red cabbage
    Cauliflower rice
    Grilled trout

Lots of healthy food ready to eat so I can stay on plan (unlike yesterday!)

BIG HOUSE FROG GOALS
    I had a hospital appointment this afternoon. After I dragged myself to the Swedish store after the appointment. I have now completed paperwork for a home visit by a kitchen designer. It cost £40 but I think it will save at least that in the long run by allowing me to think it through and use the space well. The appointment is not until mid May so just as well I requested it now.

I don't have a kitchen at all and although that may attract some buyers it will put others off and reduce my overall buyer's pool according to an estate agent who I phoned to have a chat with

(Also bought a clothes rack as mine broke resulting in dirty clothes backing-up. The whole system breaks down when washing isnt done.

My washing line snapped 6 months ago and needs replacing not that it has been drying weather. )

I am starting to realise I will need to juggle different big frogs as they need eating a bite at time. Time scales dont fit into my one big repair.renovation a month so I will need to be flexible. The important thing is 20 are done in 20 months

My quote came back. It is in excess of £1,200.00 For a small porch to be retiled and 2 tiles missing and gutter cleared in the corner I think it is a little steep so I called another roofer who I got a quote from last year (and could not afford due to debt) He is coming on Monday morning to quote. He is a sole trader the other roofer is not so 20% is VAT. I dont feel disheartened. I still have options and I learnt from the last quote regarding what needs doing
    Hoping you all having positive day
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 13-04-2018 at 5:01 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 13th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    I have an IKEA kitchen which I love. They can be so cheap, the actual units and worktops came to less than £1500! However with IKEA the fitting is so expensive. We fitted it ourselves (well with my dad's help) and did it in three stages over a year. When you get a quote back check for added extras like under cupboard lighting etc as when I did my planning in-store (I had an idea of cost as had looked at the units online and made a rough sketch with measurements etc) it was about £1000 more than I thought it should be! Quick look down the list of things and I weeded out a few things quite quickly that I knew were not essential. We also bought all our plumbing stuff and sink and tap from a well known high street DIY chain, again I felt that IKEA was a bit overpriced with these things.

Anyway my advice is, after you get the quote, look at things you may not want/need (you may love the idea of under cupboard lighting) that have been added on, and then also get some quotes for fitting from independent fitters. Although IKEA kitchen base units annoyingly have no space for plumbing, the backs go straight to the wall, and some fitters don't like them for this reason. We got round it by leaving the backs off two of the units.

Also go onto the website and have a look at all the different unit designs, they have all the dimensions on there so you can get an idea of layout and what will fit where, and look at the big selection of doors, we went for a high gloss in two colours, white on the base unit and red on the wall units.

Hope this is of some help
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 17,245 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Such a helpful post Drawingaline. Thank you for taking the time to post it.
    I want to create a kitchen that I really like but I will be selling and moving on so I want to keep costs down. I don't want any counter lighting or unnecessary extras. I probably don't have the option of not using their fitters as I don't know tradesmen or fitters or know anyone who can fit the kitchen for me. Thanks again.
    DIA
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 56,258 Posts
    • 227,610 Thanks
    beanielou
    I had a chocolate binge too!!
    Nice it was too!!

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Apr 18, 8:58 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 11,575 Thanks
    redofromstart
    You just made me steal a mars bar from the boys. Whoops

beanie, one of them had orange smartie eggs but selfishly refused to share.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 14th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Checkatrade is your friend for looking up kitchen fitters

I have open metal shelves on one of my walls for plates etc, they were £14 each and I like the accessibility of them. However not everyone likes them, but they are a good budget option alongside the units
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Apr 18, 7:27 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 17,245 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Checkatrade is your friend for looking up kitchen fitters

I have open metal shelves on one of my walls for plates etc, they were £14 each and I like the accessibility of them. However not everyone likes them, but they are a good budget option alongside the units
    Originally posted by Drawingaline
    Thanks. I too will be having some open shelving for plates. I am taking a wall down between the dining room and kitchen as my kitchen is extremely poky so some open shelving will suit
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 17,245 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    sunshine at last
    In the office today and the poor eating continues. I just cleared out the accumulated nonsense from the fridge and it has been binned. I hate when it gets like this as I feel out of control

Thinking positively, today I sent off for my driving licence to be updated so I have it all in order before purchasing the car in the summer.

I also shredded some paperwork at work

A colleague bought in a cutting from a shrub of hers I have admired. I am hoping tomorrow remains dry so I can get out in the garden.

Did another lot of washing that can go out on the newly purchased clothes rack in the morning.

Nice to see the sun isn't it?
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Apr 18, 9:25 AM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 17,245 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sort it out Sunday
    Been eating badly and eating things I know I should not. I am gluten intolerant but ate bread yesterday. I ate cows cheese too and whilst that may be fine for everyone else it isn’t for me and I woke up feeling like I have a hangover. Usually binges for me are accompanied by booze so I put the hangover down to that but I am not drinking at all so the headache is all down to eating gluten and possibly cheese.

Time to clean up my diet again as I am back to SW on Monday, not having stuck to the plan AGAIN. I will keep trying.

Washing out to dry and I will be out cutting the grass and doing some gardening this morning.

The house is a mess so I will be cleaning and sorting today too.

I ordered a new coat as mine needs repairing and is very heavy. The coat was £200 reduced to £59 and will be perfect for Spring/Autumn so I hope it suits. I sent back a dress I liked but did not love, so once I have a credit for that it will mean the coat will leave me £20 down.

I need to go to get something essential for the house so I will have to go out but I will leave that until late afternoon. This is something I have been trying to get for weeks with no luck!

I have just enquired about volunteering in the area I hope to be in in 2020. It is a way of feeling out the area and making contacts where I want to be and of course it will be in something I think I can be part of the solution with.

So, today is ‘Sort it out Sunday’ and that is just how I like it

I hope your Sunday is what you want it to be too.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 15th Apr 18, 9:32 AM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 16,155 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I hioe sort it out Sunday goes well for you. Its not as nice here as it was yesterday but least its still dry. I hope you get plenty of sunshine to get outside.

I'm really enjoying reading you new debt free journey. Its something to aspire too.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £502/£502 100% (paid off 30/06/18 - 2 months early )
    Next small debt victim £20/£367 - you're going by 31/08/2018
    Total outstanding consumer debt - £735.68/ £7864.52 9.3%
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    • 5,202 Posts
    • 30,432 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Love the sort it Sunday idea. Def one that I need to borrow.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £74,121.52, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £307.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £860/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Apr 18, 6:31 PM
    • 56,258 Posts
    • 227,610 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sort it out Sunday sounds good.

***Keep plodding***
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Apr 18, 9:01 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,603 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Glad you are getting another quote from another roofer .

The coat sounds like a good buy.

Drawingaline has given you some great advice about the kitchen.

Have a good week.
    CC1 £111/£3840
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 16th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 6,866 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Sort it Sunday sound like an idea that I most definitely need to implement! Thanks for sharing.

Hope the 'hangover' from food is shifted soon. I'm not intolerent but bread makes me feel terrible and bloated so I try to avoid but this last week i've been seriously off the wagon. It's not worth it.
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,569Posts Today

9,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin