Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 3,414Posts
    • 18,534Thanks
    doingitanyway
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)
    • 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself) 31st Mar 18 at 9:32 AM
    I am debt free but I have neglected myself and my home for years. My home and I have held up well after years of neglect, but we are both shabby and need of care and attention. I need to move on. This house needs a little family to love it. So I am giving myself 20 months for us both to be camera ready, so we can rise from the ashes of debt like phoenixes in 2020.

So over the next 20 months I will do a minimum of:

--20 Major home improvements

--20 Minor home improvements

--20 kilos

--20 drab to fab changes

--20 health improvements

--20 giant frogs to eat

--20 normal sized frogs to eat

I will set a monthly goal in each category and moan, whinge report on it throughout the month until it is done

For APRIL it looks like this:

—Fix the roof

—Find window film for living room, put it up, clean the window and get curtains taken up

—Lose 2 kilos

—Wear tinted lip balm and perfume everyday in April.

—Walk 3 miles at least once a week

—Get insurances in place. This is A GIANT FROG outstanding for over a decade

—Get glasses. This is a normal sized frog outstanding for 3 years.

So, here I go…
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 31-03-2018 at 6:46 PM.
    Emergency fund 700/1000
    If not now then when?
Page 40
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Oct 18, 1:33 PM
    • 57,418 Posts
    • 235,056 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh that is a good idea to go back & say that they forgot to put the things back in your boot.
    I would go back
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Oct 18, 6:23 PM
    • 5,264 Posts
    • 41,666 Thanks
    DawnW
    And if they don't 'put them back' I would be speaking to the police, as I very much doubt whether you are the only victim

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Oct 18, 6:44 PM
    • 1,975 Posts
    • 12,162 Thanks
    redofromstart
    How upsetting, I had some stuff go missing years ago on a routine service and it made me feel awful.

Hurrah for the sabbatical, so pleased for you.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 12th Oct 18, 8:00 PM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 14,084 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Sorry to hear about your car stuff getting taken, it's not right , I would go back and ask them if they have it.

Well done on keeping up the sugar free.
    CC1 £3609
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 12th Oct 18, 9:32 PM
    • 3,585 Posts
    • 9,864 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I'm not absolutely convinced I would be brave enough to go back in person, but if there is a phone number I would ring them and ask them to have things ready for collection very soon. And if they don't apologise and immediately offer collection in a safe place, then I would phone the police and report the theft. I totally agree that you are probably not the only person this has happened to.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...
    Campervan loan progress 6%

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Oct 18, 9:47 PM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 18,534 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    thank you
    Thank you for all the helpful posts

What I didn’t say was the thief filled the bag I had with worthless items to replace the items of value so it wouldn’t be immediately noticed, so I won’t be going back. I don’t want to confront them. Instead I will report it to the police and also report it to the supermarket in whose car park they operate in.

Special thanks Redo for understanding how upsetting it was for me and for sharing that it happened to you when you put your car in for a service.

Special thanks to Rosa for helping me see it was not my fault and I was in fact a victim and you should be able to trust people to do a job without stealing from you. I haven’t been driving after a break of many years and I need to adjust to keeping my car and car possessions safer than I have been.

My key learning was if I am being asked to make a decision and something feels wrong walk away and take the time to process what my gut is telling me.

The incident left me feeling vulnerable and unsettled and I slept poorly except for last night when I slept well. I might purchase a dash cam to help me feel a little more protected (I know the theft would not have been prevented with the camera)

I had a medical pedicure after work today and my feet feel lovely. Work pay for this.

Today was a good day at work.

I am going to have a quiet, NSD, home day tomorrow

I hope you are all having a good weekend.
    Emergency fund 700/1000
    If not now then when?
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Oct 18, 10:05 PM
    • 5,236 Posts
    • 36,886 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Glad you realise the theft was not your fault DIA. A good idea to report it to the police.

Good that your feet feel pampered
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Oct 18, 11:10 AM
    • 57,418 Posts
    • 235,056 Thanks
    beanielou
    Jeez.
    That takes the biscuit.
    Filling the bag with other things
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 14th Oct 18, 5:18 PM
    • 3,585 Posts
    • 9,864 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Ohhh dear that is definitely not just a mistake then, and you are absolutely right to avoid confronting them and just report it to the police and supermarket.

Also a very good point about listening to your gut and on that note I am going to get another quote for my gardening work, since I am not comfortable with the first one failing to reply to messages. So thank you

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...
    Campervan loan progress 6%

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Oct 18, 9:30 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 18,534 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    frogs to be eaten
    I needed to put the theft behind me and not let it throw me off balance, so I ate a frog yesterday.
    I called the builder as he visited 2 weeks ago and I have still not had a quote. He was very apologetic so I am giving him a chance to do what he says.

Yesterday I got lucky at Mr M. Three lots of organic tomatoes for 5p each and a few stew packs for 7p, red lentil pasta for £1 instead £2 and some ready made quinoa packs £1 instead of £2, they will be good for emergencies.

My weight loss is less dramatic and is slowing but that is to be expected. I have a few days off so I will be working on getting those walking boots and some track bottoms so the walking can become part of my routine. That will keep the weight loss going in the right direction.

I have the savings accounts appointment tomorrow so the savings pots can start.

Today I will be drawing up a task list so I can make the most of my 3 days off. Lots of necessary things on the list but some nice things too

I hope everyone has a positive day
    Emergency fund 700/1000
    If not now then when?
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 17th Oct 18, 10:54 AM
    • 12,755 Posts
    • 221,514 Thanks
    greenbee
    Well done DIA!

I've avoided chasing the builder, but I did get my P11D out of my previous employer, so have no excuse not to do my tax return when I'm next home for long enough.

I did fall off the sugar-free wagon on my 10 hour flight. Usually I give the pudding etc to my boss, but he wasn't with me, so I had a small pot of chocolate pudding, a mini magnum and a small flapjack. Plus rather more rice and bread than I would normally eat. And it wasn't as if I was moving! I arrived too late to go for a run or a swim as it was dark, but did at least walk to the supermarket for breakfast stuff. I'm now wide awake with jet lag!
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Oct 18, 5:40 PM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 18,534 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    overeating and a half frog
    I haven’t eaten well today. I over-ate nuts. They were raw but they are still very calorific. I did the same yesterday with salted almonds. I realise now that I overeat almonds, pecans and cashews, but never walnuts. So from now on I will only buy walnuts.

I am using my tagine to cook veggies. I am using Moroccan seasonings, so looking forward to those with a chicken breast and some humous. The whole meal is YS, so quite pleased with that.

I read my meters and sent the readings in on time for a change. This is a half frog for me as i usually can't be bothered

I had a NSD today

So relieved to have finished work today and now my time for the next few days belongs to me
    Emergency fund 700/1000
    If not now then when?
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 17th Oct 18, 10:37 PM
    • 5,275 Posts
    • 31,112 Thanks
    in need of direction
    You're sounding amazingly positive. Keep it up
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £74,121.52, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £307.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £860/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 18th Oct 18, 8:18 AM
    • 494 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Sounds like things are all along along nice and slowly. Keep on swallowing those frogs!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th Oct 18, 10:40 AM
    • 12,755 Posts
    • 221,514 Thanks
    greenbee
    Overeating nuts is better than overeating on cake

It sounds as if you're forming some good habits and that's helping you to cope with other things.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 18th Oct 18, 10:48 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,085 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Fabulous news about the sabbatical Also well done on the sugar free October. Very impressed! I tried to cut down sugar before but I found it was in everything... I will try again in the future though, perhaps when I've been back on the dieting wagon for a wee bit.

Hope the builder gets back to you!

I'm so, so sorry about the theft. That's horrible... I don't understand people sometimes. Please definitely don't blame yourself as there was no reason for you not to trust them in the first place. Good idea on trusting your instincts/ gut though going forward
    Total Debt : 1723.49 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 19.2 / 45kg
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Oct 18, 7:00 PM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 18,534 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    savings pots
    Thanks for posting everyone and for all the positive vibes. I appreciate it

I seem to have been busy all day without doing a great deal!

Life/home organisation
    One load of washing done and drying outside
    Dishes! Dishes! Dishes!
    2 wardrobes decluttered and one wardrobe shelf cleaned

GOAL ACHIEVED
    I have my savings accounts now so I can begin the ‘pots’ method. I’ve been meaning to do this for a decade.

Looking after myself
    Vitamins and supplements taken

I have been craving good food like organic chicken and wild salmon and leafy greens. This is expensive I know but I am not eating expensive junk food or alcohol I am just going to go with this for now. I am having a big salad tonight with salmon tonight.

I changed my breakfasts from fried or scrambled eggs to natural yoghurt, seeds, nuts and chopped up fruit. I didn’t think this would taste nice without maple syrup but it does. Result. I will now have a cooked breakfast only at the weekends.

I hope you all had a good day
    Emergency fund 700/1000
    If not now then when?
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 18th Oct 18, 7:22 PM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 14,084 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Great the savings pots are open for business. You have just described my breakfast!

Hope the builder comes up with a quote .
    CC1 £3609
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th Oct 18, 7:49 PM
    • 5,236 Posts
    • 36,886 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Exercise will definitely speed up your weight loss and I think it reduces my appetite (apart from swimming which always made me ravenous for some reason).

I love natural yoghurt with rasberries or blueberries. If I use Yeo natural yoghurt it tastes so lovely that no honey or syrup is needed. I've always avoided nuts as they are good for you but very high in calories. It's easy to eat healthily but still be eating too many calories to lose weight.

Organic chicken, salmon and leafy greens are very healthy and relatively low in calories, so that's a great thing to crave .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th Oct 18, 8:03 PM
    • 12,755 Posts
    • 221,514 Thanks
    greenbee
    Investing in good food is an investment in your health. As you say, you're not eating expensive junk or drinking alcohol. I think we need to stop thinking of food as being expensive and the easiest place to cut back - often there are other areas of waste in our budgets that could be used to pay for food ... and eating properly keeps you from being ill which always ends up being expensive.

I have given in to a few bits of sugar today (a couple of bits of chocolate) and am drinking too much milky coffee. We tried to go for another run this morning but our progress was hampered by very high water levels - we walked for nearly an hour but only managed about 10 minutes of running.

I managed to find yogurt that is genuinely just milk and yogurt culture (not locust bean gum and sweetener etc...) so we've been having that and blueberries and a very small bit of granola for breakfast. Lunch yesterday was texas BBQ... I don't feel that mac'n'cheese is a vegetable. But yesterday evening was Mexican, so tortilla soup was low calorie and full of veg. The spicy margarita at least had lemon juice and olives in it... Today's lunch was a HUGE salad... And we're doing quite a bit of walking. I've got another week till I'm home so need to focus on making sure I weigh less when I get home than I did when I left!

I do have almonds and dried apricots as I know that I'm on conference/hotel food all next week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,922Posts Today

7,113Users online

Martin's Twitter