Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 3,296Posts
    • 17,743Thanks
    doingitanyway
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)
    • 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself) 31st Mar 18 at 9:32 AM
    I am debt free but I have neglected myself and my home for years. My home and I have held up well after years of neglect, but we are both shabby and need of care and attention. I need to move on. This house needs a little family to love it. So I am giving myself 20 months for us both to be camera ready, so we can rise from the ashes of debt like phoenixes in 2020.

So over the next 20 months I will do a minimum of:

--20 Major home improvements

--20 Minor home improvements

--20 kilos

--20 drab to fab changes

--20 health improvements

--20 giant frogs to eat

--20 normal sized frogs to eat

I will set a monthly goal in each category and moan, whinge report on it throughout the month until it is done

For APRIL it looks like this:

—Fix the roof

—Find window film for living room, put it up, clean the window and get curtains taken up

—Lose 2 kilos

—Wear tinted lip balm and perfume everyday in April.

—Walk 3 miles at least once a week

—Get insurances in place. This is A GIANT FROG outstanding for over a decade

—Get glasses. This is a normal sized frog outstanding for 3 years.

So, here I go…
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 31-03-2018 at 6:46 PM.
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
Page 35
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 14th Sep 18, 6:41 PM
    • 5,145 Posts
    • 18,334 Thanks
    abba1772
    I love the term mid life breakthrough.......life is short so good luck in your decision xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 18 £5493.20 NOW £2115.05
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £9001.23
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Sep 18, 8:12 PM
    • 56,830 Posts
    • 231,422 Thanks
    beanielou
    I love the term mid life breakthrough.......life is short so good luck in your decision xx
    Originally posted by abba1772

From me too
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 14th Sep 18, 8:15 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 846 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Wow, what have I missed? A lot apparently!

I think you're looking at this with a great frame of mind DIA - as you say, thinking negatively about the situation and your employer isn't going to change anything so I think it's good you're trying to have a positive outlook and work with what you have.

To be honest, you've never seemed to be happy in your job in the whole time I've been reading your diaries so unless financial, there doesn't seem to be many reasons for you to stay. Your employer will find out the hard way that by not accommodating a well-needed sabbatical (that they in fact offer!), they are actually losing an employee as a result.

If you can squirrel away the cash to cover you for a whole year then I say do it! Get out of there and get your creative mojo back! As you say, you have a skill and experience so you shouldn't have a shortage of job offers when the time comes to get back into the world of work.

Full support from me, as always, and feel free to air your concerns/ pros and cons on here and we can be a sounding board.

I think you're a brave person and you deserve to be happy in what you do.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Sep 18, 10:16 PM
    • 5,261 Posts
    • 30,919 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Fortune favours the brave is a cliche for a reason
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £74,121.52, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £307.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £860/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 14th Sep 18, 10:23 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 9,771 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    DIA that's a wonderful post - totally inspirational.

We've discussed before whether you really need a new kitchen to sell and this sounds like a really good compromise to me. I have been spending time on my house this week and wishing that the basics were done properly so I wasn't having to fix holes in plaster and could just paint etc. So long as the place is livable and looks clean buyers will be ok with being able to add to it themselves.

I love the breakthrough idea too as I am working through things myself recently and finding that changes have happened and more need to be made. I will be keeping that word in mind. And totally agree, you shouldn't let an amazing opportunity slip by. You have already proved with your tutoring that you have alternative income options and as you say, you've made yourself a situation where you can do what brings you joy now

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...
    Campervan loan progress 6%

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Sep 18, 7:15 PM
    • 3,296 Posts
    • 17,743 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Abba and Beanie for the positive vibes
    Wow, what have I missed? A lot apparently!

I think you're looking at this with a great frame of mind DIA - as you say, thinking negatively about the situation and your employer isn't going to change anything so I think it's good you're trying to have a positive outlook and work with what you have.

To be honest, you've never seemed to be happy in your job in the whole time I've been reading your diaries so unless financial, there doesn't seem to be many reasons for you to stay. Your employer will find out the hard way that by not accommodating a well-needed sabbatical (that they in fact offer!), they are actually losing an employee as a result.

If you can squirrel away the cash to cover you for a whole year then I say do it! Get out of there and get your creative mojo back! As you say, you have a skill and experience so you shouldn't have a shortage of job offers when the time comes to get back into the world of work.

Full support from me, as always, and feel free to air your concerns/ pros and cons on here and we can be a sounding board.

Originally posted by Homegrown0
    Thank you Homegrown. You can be sure I will be seeking your advice along the way.
    Fortune favours the brave is a cliche for a reason
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Thank you INOD. I am in part inspired by your journey. You left a secure job and you are finding a way forward. I hope to be able to do the same. Life is way too short not to give it a go.

We've discussed before whether you really need a new kitchen to sell and this sounds like a really good compromise to me. I have been spending time on my house this week and wishing that the basics were done properly so I wasn't having to fix holes in plaster and could just paint etc. So long as the place is livable and looks clean buyers will be ok with being able to add to it themselves.

I love the breakthrough idea too as I am working through things myself recently and finding that changes have happened and more need to be made. I will be keeping that word in mind. And totally agree, you shouldn't let an amazing opportunity slip by. You have already proved with your tutoring that you have alternative income options and as you say, you've made yourself a situation where you can do what brings you joy now
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Thanks Rosa, I think the kitchen plan is a good way forward too. If it is the matter of a shiny new kitchen or time to pursue a dream there is no contest
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 15-09-2018 at 7:37 PM.
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Sep 18, 7:58 PM
    • 3,296 Posts
    • 17,743 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    action of the day
    Exit strategy action of the day
    Today I wrote off to sort out some of my NI record.
    I read up on NI contributions too. If I am off for a year I will also register as self employed so I can make voluntary NI contributions.
    Hope you are all having a great weekend.
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 15th Sep 18, 8:44 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 9,771 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Ooh good plan on the NI - you only get 6 years to fix stuff, I was SO glad someone told me when our work screwed it up as I would never have thought to check.
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 15th Sep 18, 8:55 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Originally posted by Homegrown0
    Here, here! Sorry about the sabbatical (boo ), but very impressed with your approach to everything. Am excited for what the future holds
    Total Debt : 1723.49 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 19.2 / 45kg
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Sep 18, 8:34 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 11,909 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I can see the attraction of the 'safe' sabbatical but sometimes its worth frightening yourself by taking the harder route. Its certainly working for me at the moment.

So scarily sensible on the NI contributions. Big gaps in mine and its too late to do anything much about it.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Sep 18, 9:28 PM
    • 3,296 Posts
    • 17,743 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    small steps and budget thoughts
    I decluttered a bag of clothes and other items to the CS.

I bought a small radio for my bedroom.

I returned clothes to B0den at the PO. (I no longer keep clothes I don’t 100% love)

I did a small Lid1 shop

I made mini beefburgers

I moved furniture around so my creativity space is beginning to take shape

I bought a beautiful hardback book that I wanted in a CS for £4 instead of £16

I checked my bank and balanced accounts

I am not overdrawn but I overspent this month and this needs to stop as my income is reducing.

I think my best bet instead of copious plans is to stay out of stupidmarkets as much as possible. A once a week shop plus a monthly bulk shop should do it.

In part my debt began when my income was severely reduced and I carried on without sticking to a budget. I did not have enough to make ends meet it is true but I also spent more than I needed to. I am determined not to do this again.

I hope you had a good start to your week.
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Sep 18, 11:50 AM
    • 3,296 Posts
    • 17,743 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    scary spending
    I am trying to hold my nerve, but yesterday I had a bit of a wobble. Big change is scary. I don’t feel brave…

I got notified of a tax refund of £38 today that I will be adding to my CU account when it arrives in my account. My emergency account is taking a long time to get to £1,000. It is at £612 today.

I am nervously awaiting the kitchen replastering quote. Please let it be reasonable!

I have to find a launderette to wash my winter duvet. At the minute it is on the floor waiting to be dealt with.

I have to buy a phone holder for the car so I can use the map feature. Using this app is a FROG for me as I am a natural luddite much happier with a nice book and pen and paper instead of apps and social media.

I found a beautiful hoodie at B0den but it was too big so I sent it back. I reordered 2 sizes down. It is £120 off the original price but still more than I would like to pay, but it is lush and will be comforting on long, cold walks and cost per wear it will be worth it. Now just to find joggers and trainers too.

Another major spend is going to be my chair. I am going to be doing a lot of computer work so a decent office chair is a necessity. And a printer and an external hard drive!

A SCARY AMOUNT OF SPENDING COMING UP.

To offset all this spending I will be making extra frugal meals. Think soup and turkey drumsticks (£2 each and really very nice) oh, and beans. Haha.

Wishing you all a frugal happy day
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Sep 18, 3:49 PM
    • 56,830 Posts
    • 231,422 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have two Boden hoodies I have had for years
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 18th Sep 18, 8:24 PM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 13,368 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Another Boden fan here. I am liking your recent posts about taking a year out. I do hope it comes off for you , it all sounds like it is meant to be and very brave of you.

Go for it DIA .
    CC1 £221 /£3718
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Sep 18, 8:31 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 9,771 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Do you definitely need a launderette DIA? I jam mine in the washing machine, but then I do have a bigger size machine (partly to do exactly this, as well as too many throws in an attempt to keep the cats off the actual furniture :/ ).

The last time I bought a phone holder for the car was about £8 in Halfords. If you have one nearby, some of their staff are lovely and might help you pick one or set it up (some of them are just grumpy teenagers, so depends who you find on the day).

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Sep 18, 8:46 PM
    • 3,296 Posts
    • 17,743 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Another Boden fan here. I am liking your recent posts about taking a year out. I do hope it comes off for you , it all sounds like it is meant to be and very brave of you.

Go for it DIA .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria. Brave or foolish time will tell but I need to get all my ducks in a row first.
    Do you definitely need a launderette DIA? I jam mine in the washing machine, but then I do have a bigger size machine (partly to do exactly this, as well as too many throws in an attempt to keep the cats off the actual furniture :/ ).

The last time I bought a phone holder for the car was about £8 in Halfords. If you have one nearby, some of their staff are lovely and might help you pick one or set it up (some of them are just grumpy teenagers, so depends who you find on the day).
    Thanks Rosa. I only have a small washing machine so yes I need to use a launderette.
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th Sep 18, 8:31 AM
    • 3,296 Posts
    • 17,743 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    bank not as great as it thinks it is
    I lost track of my spending this month as I bought clothes on line in various sizes not intending to keep them all. I sent them back and got yet another size so lots of money spent but most will be credited back. I need to keep clothing money separate in future to avoid losing track.

My bank wins various rounds of applause for customer service but I find them annoying quite often. Previously, I used the negative emotion from one such annoyance to open another account so they don’t control all of my financial transactions. Today I tried doing something simple that they turned into a situation that has inconvenienced me.

Again I used the negative energy to explore other options and discovered my other bank’s savings accounts and I see I can hold up to five so I will start having pots of money for different things. I did not know of this option. So tomorrow on my off day I will inquire about opening three accounts CAR and HOLIDAY and CLOTHES/APPEARANCE

My FROG OF THE DAY today will be to call a bank that I haven’t contacted yet about PP1. I will need any extra money I can find in the coming year

Wishing you all a happy and productive day
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • 24ta
    • By 24ta 19th Sep 18, 9:31 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    24ta
    Wow,
    Have read your diary over the last couple of days.
    You have inspired me.
    Well done.
    Looking forward to future updates
    So many unachieved goals, I have to make this year my year!
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 19th Sep 18, 10:02 PM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 13,368 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Oh DIA I have accounts for shopping/petrol, personal spends, Christmas, holidays, insurance and emergency fund with 2 different banks and 1 bs . I can't cope with all money in the same account , it got to confusing.
    CC1 £221 /£3718
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Sep 18, 9:13 AM
    • 3,296 Posts
    • 17,743 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Wow,
    Have read your diary over the last couple of days.
    You have inspired me.
    Well done.
    Looking forward to future updates
    Originally posted by 24ta
    Thank you. At least my waffling angst is helping someone
    Oh DIA I have accounts for shopping/petrol, personal spends, Christmas, holidays, insurance and emergency fund with 2 different banks and 1 bs . I can't cope with all money in the same account , it got to confusing.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria, going to try the little pots method for myself now
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,175Posts Today

7,346Users online

Martin's Twitter