Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 3,710Posts
    • 20,818Thanks
    doingitanyway
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)
    • 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself) 31st Mar 18 at 9:32 AM
    I am debt free but I have neglected myself and my home for years. My home and I have held up well after years of neglect, but we are both shabby and need of care and attention. I need to move on. This house needs a little family to love it. So I am giving myself 20 months for us both to be camera ready, so we can rise from the ashes of debt like phoenixes in 2020.

So over the next 20 months I will do a minimum of:

--20 Major home improvements

--20 Minor home improvements

--20 kilos

--20 drab to fab changes

--20 health improvements

--20 giant frogs to eat

--20 normal sized frogs to eat

I will set a monthly goal in each category and moan, whinge report on it throughout the month until it is done

For APRIL it looks like this:

—Fix the roof

—Find window film for living room, put it up, clean the window and get curtains taken up

—Lose 2 kilos

—Wear tinted lip balm and perfume everyday in April.

—Walk 3 miles at least once a week

—Get insurances in place. This is A GIANT FROG outstanding for over a decade

—Get glasses. This is a normal sized frog outstanding for 3 years.

So, here I go…
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 31-03-2018 at 6:46 PM.
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    NSD December 5/31 AFD 2/10, SFD 0/10
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
Page 30
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Aug 18, 6:34 PM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 20,818 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Yes, I get that.
    Loathe being talked down too.
    I meant that you could decorate first if you wanted & then have window done.
    Maybe I picked you up wrongly
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Ah I misunderstood you. The lady decorator said hairline cracks to the plastering often appear when putting in windows. It isn't noticed with paper but I want plain walls so it might show, so thinking that would be a shame and best to do windows first. Just need to do it and stop being a wuss
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 10-08-2018 at 6:41 PM.
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 10th Aug 18, 7:09 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 1,662 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Is it only one window? Or all of them? I found a fab company through checkatrade who repair over replace, but will replace if necessary. But the kind of company where one window is fine, no selling etc, just in, measure, quote done.

Rather than a large company?
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Aug 18, 7:27 PM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 20,818 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thank you drawingaline
    I need a definite replace as my frames are rotten. To replace: A large bay window (5 panes) and 6 other windows. It is the bay window that is the priority. The others can be done as and when. I would like a small company. The last one I used was smallish but they still rang rings around me
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Aug 18, 9:02 PM
    • 58,810 Posts
    • 243,911 Thanks
    beanielou
    It is worth getting a quote from a joiner as aposed to a window company.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 20,818 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It is worth getting a quote from a joiner as aposed to a window company.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanie.
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 11th Aug 18, 7:12 AM
    • 3,349 Posts
    • 7,005 Thanks
    mark88man
    My expeience with larger companies is that you probably need to end up at 40% of original advertised price. It was a while ago but I got my 4 bed detached house (80s build) done - 11 windows, 2 doors and a patio door, and I ended up at 50% of initial ask and I still think I paid 10% too much

However as I had it done in January (!!) they weren't very busy so sent 2 vans down and had everything done in a day - basically knocked all the frames out then stuck the new ones in and they've been fine - so if you worry about trademan underfoot you might want to make sure they have enough workers to do it quickly
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight - Fluctuating - less than I was more than I should be
    1/18: CC:11.5K@0% - Car Loan:17K@2.8% - Mort:145K@2.9%
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018-1H:£11K
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 11th Aug 18, 3:35 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 1,662 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Yes my mum and dad overpaid a large company to do their old house a few years back. But offset by having three vans on site and a large four bed detached done and dusted in a day. Which was important for them.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 20,818 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Lady Bountiful
    Today I decided I needed a desk as I work at home a lot. I also want a proper chair to protect my back. I explored Heals. It was the discount outlet but still silly money. A reality check. I cannot afford it there. That said, a decent office chair still costs quite a bit wherever I go.

I feel as if i have more money now I am debt free but it is an illusion. I need a huge 5 pane window and a large room decorated and a new kitchen before Christmas. I have no money to waste.

I need to make sure I do not continue to spend as if I am working 5 days when my salary will be about 18% reduced. I need a new budget for a new situation. Food and travelling account for too much of my budget. Today I cleared out the fridge and threw away some fish and some homemade stock. Wasting food is unacceptable to me. I need to do better especially if I am going to have less money coming in. Sigh.

It is great that I only have to go into the office 2 days a week and this costs me under £20 in total but I could do it for £6 a week and get some exercise in too. 1 hour and 40 minutes a day twice a week would do my health good so why am I not doing it? Okay it would take longer but I could read or snooze on the bus.

The good news is a separate account for discretionary spending really works. who knew?It reduces the panic. Despite pink cava spends and Lady Bountiful tendencies, the amounts allocated have worked out just fine. This makes me wonder if the spending account is too generous?

I hope your weekend has gone well. Let's see what we can achieve next week
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 12-08-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 13th Aug 18, 12:18 AM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 10,040 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Have you looked in the Swedish store DIA? I sorted my little office for about £250 - desk, chair, and shelving unit from there (shelves hold all the files, trays, and printer etc). Plus a monitor riser via online. It's made such a difference to how I feel about the room so although it was sort of an avoidable spend - I could have stuck with the old kitchen table etc for longer - I don't regret it at all.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...
    Campervan loan progress 12%

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 13th Aug 18, 8:23 AM
    • 5,409 Posts
    • 32,192 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I saw some office chairs on living s0cial or gr0upon at the weekend. Fully adjustable and reasonably priced plus there's always some small bit of cashback. I'd saw hold fire on the full blown office but get the right chair to avoid back pain.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £71,743.47, target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £412.27 target £5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund £1,100/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 13th Aug 18, 11:51 AM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 24,317 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Are you on Facebook DIA? I've found some really good items on Facebook Marketplace. Most people will let you come and take a look before you buy.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 8% paid Overpayments: 3908.56 Emergency Fund: 75%

Read my work here and here (scroll down for text). Free to read but ratings and reviews very much appreciated.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Aug 18, 10:12 PM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 20,818 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Meh
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

I am not on Faceache Fortune Smiles

I will keep thinking about this one and when pay day arrives I will buy a chair at least

Today
    Today was my day off. I frittered most of the day away with not even a peep at my task list and no frogs were eaten

But then I went to the Post Office to return the items ordered that I do not love. The dress I have kept is lovely but I got it in a smaller size. It fits, but will look better if I lose half a stone. Everything was boxed up and returned.

I met a friend for a cup of tea and a catchup.

I have not got going with the diet but I have not given up. I shall restart tomorrow and keep at it until I get it right.

A bit of a meh day but I (hopefully ) live on to fight another day

I hope you had a good day reader.
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 14-08-2018 at 8:07 AM.
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th Aug 18, 5:06 PM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 20,818 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    A mixed bag
    I have been offline for a few days after my laptop had a fit but I am back from the laptop hospital (also known as JL) and it is better now. I was still under warranty by 2 days! So no charge. NOTHING was backed up. Nope nada. I was lucky not to lose any data so buying an external drive on Sunday (I know I could use the cloud for free)

My week has been crazy due to not being 'connected' and also having to commute to the office daily. Off work today on holiday but it was used sorting out the sick laptop.

Lady decorator came back with a quote. A bit more than I expected but I will probably still go with her. I like her and that makes a big difference to how I feel about having a tradesperson in my home. She wants to start next week but I think I should put the window in first as the walls may develop hairline cracks and it would be a shame after paying so much to get the room decorated.

In other news a plumber who was on holiday is back and can come and quote next week.

I am feeling a bit 'off' I really had to push myself to go and get my laptop fixed. I put off a kitchen meeting until next week too. I am trying not to put too much stress on myself but I think I should contact the plumber and ask him to quote?

I hope you are all okay out there
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 16th Aug 18, 5:16 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Yes, bite the bullet (swallow the frog!) and get a quote from the plumber.
    I agree about getting the window done before the decorating, it would be so annoying if the cracks appeared, which they probably would, so why give yourself that headache worrying about it.
    I know you don't like having tradespeople in, but the sooner they're there the sooner it's finished and you can start to relax a little bit.
    Glad you managed to get your laptop done within the warranty - someone was smiling down on you!
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 16th Aug 18, 5:21 PM
    • 5,393 Posts
    • 20,257 Thanks
    abba1772
    That was lucky with the laptop still being under warranty by two days. Xx
    NEXT TARGET VERY WAS Dec 18 £591.94 NOW £122.39
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £12794.70
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 16th Aug 18, 7:48 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,568 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Glad to see you are back online , and good news about the warranty. The window definitely wants doing before the decorating, you are perfectly right.

As Chrystal says the sooner the trades in the sooner it's done.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Aug 18, 9:05 PM
    • 58,810 Posts
    • 243,911 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the laptop.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Aug 18, 8:13 PM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 20,818 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    STOOPID (as Dave Ramsey might say)
    Cumbria Lass I am going to do it in the right order so the plan is to ask her to start the decorating in November and use September/October to get the window put in.

Beanie and Abba1772 you are right. I definitely got lucky with the laptop repair

Chrystal you make sense. The sooner I get the tradesmen in the sooner I can relax. At the same time I need to be careful not to over-stress myself as I’ve not been back at work that long. That said, I called the plumber and he is coming to quote next week

Today I have frittered money away on food, drinks, snacks and travel but the worst is I paid for an expensive film ticket on a whim. To get the price down I paid a membership fee and then bought tickets. Once I pay fares to get there this impulse would have cost me £108. INSANE. Because I am a wuss about asking for my money I paid for my friend’s ticket too. STUPID. It isn’t her fault but whenever I am around her I overspend. When I start my new 4 day week we won’t overlap on a regular basis and maybe it is just as well.

£108 could have gone towards my emergency savings. It is done now but I notice this sort of ridiculous impulsiveness happens when I am tired

I hope you all had a good MSE day

Edit
    Called decorator and agreed a start date of beginning of October to give me time to put the window in
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 17-08-2018 at 9:01 PM.
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Aug 18, 7:34 AM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 20,818 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    chaotic eating
    As well as impulse spending I am impulse eating. This is especially bad (not to mention expensive) as I have been away from home every day this week. I am supposed to be eating low carb but then I am eating chaotically and I am tired so I have been craving sugar and crisps are rearing their ugly heads again. So today I will be creating some healthy meals that include healthy carbs.

Tahini lemon and ginger sauce
    Quinoa
    Lentil and veg soup
    Raw veggie platter with humous, olives, pickles and toasted cashews
    Thai fish curry

Stock bubbling away
    Washing machine humming away
    First lot of dishes washed

So thankful to be working from home today

Happy Saturday everyone
    Emergency fund 127/1000
    IF NOT NOW THEN WHEN
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 18th Aug 18, 1:21 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 1,389 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Sounds like some positive progress, despite the cravings for badness. I too have fallen off the eating and exercising wagon since being away with work last week so getting back into it on Monday once my busy weekend is over.

Glad you've booked in the painter as this will give you motivation to get the window situation sorted!

Enjoy your weekend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

443Posts Today

3,431Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin