Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 2,898Posts
    • 14,107Thanks
    doingitanyway
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)
    • 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself) 31st Mar 18 at 9:32 AM
    I am debt free but I have neglected myself and my home for years. My home and I have held up well after years of neglect, but we are both shabby and need of care and attention. I need to move on. This house needs a little family to love it. So I am giving myself 20 months for us both to be camera ready, so we can rise from the ashes of debt like phoenixes in 2020.

So over the next 20 months I will do a minimum of:

--20 Major home improvements

--20 Minor home improvements

--20 kilos

--20 drab to fab changes

--20 health improvements

--20 giant frogs to eat

--20 normal sized frogs to eat

I will set a monthly goal in each category and moan, whinge report on it throughout the month until it is done

For APRIL it looks like this:

óFix the roof

óFind window film for living room, put it up, clean the window and get curtains taken up

óLose 2 kilos

óWear tinted lip balm and perfume everyday in April.

óWalk 3 miles at least once a week

óGet insurances in place. This is A GIANT FROG outstanding for over a decade

óGet glasses. This is a normal sized frog outstanding for 3 years.

So, here I goÖ
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 31-03-2018 at 6:46 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 3
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Apr 18, 6:10 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 14,107 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    NSD and being frugal
    A WFH and NSD for me

Done
    Read for 2 hours
    Rug hoovered and packed away for the guest bedroom (when decorated)
    Ironing board cleared of junk and packed away

To do
    Clear dining table
    Sweep dining room floor
    Create a sparkling loo

Food planning
    I have some wild garlic leaves sent in my veggie box and some frozen turkey carcass so planning a veggie and lentil soup tomorrow. I will add the wild garlic in at the end

Turtle beans soaking. Planning a turkey chilli with some of the stock and some frozen red wine

Salad box for the fridge of leaves and grated carrot

Cauliflower rice made

My freezer is full and I have fruits and veggies so no need to go out shopping today.

Home made burger, chips and salad for my evening meal.

Made stock

Frugal surprises
    I got potatoes in my veg box so I cut one up. It is the perfect portion size and they grill just fine. No more frozen chips for me

I used the outer leaves of cauliflower for soup and they were delicious

Goals
    Tomorrow the hunt for eye glasses resumes. Off to SS

Iíve been told not to swim as I had an operation but tomorrow I am going to have a workout then I will have the longest shower ever

I am making a shopping list for household things more than anything else but also eggs and coffee and seeds and nutsÖ

Sugar
    I used then threw away tomato sauce (22grams of sugar per 100grams)

The house
    I need to start doing things out of order as one major thing a month is too frustrating. I think I will also take steps towards other goals too. So on Monday I will be calling to get a quote for a bay window

A lazy, TV watching evening for tonight. I am looking forward to a day off tomorrow. I hope you are too
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Apr 18, 7:20 PM
    • 52,776 Posts
    • 207,375 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope your op went well.
    Take care
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 7th Apr 18, 7:58 PM
    • 1,683 Posts
    • 9,955 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    DIA your diary is so busy. I go to a small independent opticians, get good service, bit they are good friends the owners .

They take a photo of you on the computer in your glasses so you can see the, before you buy them.

As for your house , I think you need to speak to an estate agent. A friend of mine would take out any kitchen and bathroom in a house she bought , even if it was only a few month old, so is it worth it. The roof and bay window yes they defo need doing before you sell.

Have a good rest tomorrow.
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 7th Apr 18, 9:11 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,066 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Excellent points Rosa and don't be sorry as comments from you guys are one of the reasons I am active on here despite my dislike of public forums generally.

So, answers...
    I don't want to live in the improved house.
    I do want to move ASAP
    I need to look in the area I want to live in but I used to know it reasonably well (once worked there) although now it is a bit chi-chi (is that a recognisable word? )

I will speak to an estate agent but previously doing the house up was the better option last time.

From a psychological viewpoint I seriously lack confidence and I think I might 'need' to face up to myself and my fear of tradespeople and restore this house by myself. I think I would emerge a better me if that doesn't sound too kooky. A bit like the difference between repaying debt and the lessons learnt along the way versus paying off the debt with a lottery win or inheritance.

But that may all be nonsense of course and a way to avoid moving on because I am scared of that too. Who knows, but I think I will get an estate agent back in and do some costings.
    I will also set up an appointment with a friend to have coffee in the new area to have a nosey and see if my plan to move there is still viable...

Thank you
    Originally posted by doingitanyway

Oooh brilliant now that is sounding like a plan coming together.

I think I do see what you mean about wanting to get it sorted yourself (I am stubborn too ) but there are times when you don't actually have to - and either way, knowledge is power

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 7th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,066 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    BTW I think you are probably unusual in being less reluctant to engage with estate agents than tradespeople

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 14,107 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    DIA your diary is so busy. I go to a small independent opticians, get good service, bit they are good friends the owners .

They take a photo of you on the computer in your glasses so you can see the, before you buy them.

As for your house , I think you need to speak to an estate agent. A friend of mine would take out any kitchen and bathroom in a house she bought , even if it was only a few month old, so is it worth it. The roof and bay window yes they defo need doing before you sell.

Have a good rest tomorrow.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Oooh brilliant now that is sounding like a plan coming together.

I think I do see what you mean about wanting to get it sorted yourself (I am stubborn too ) but there are times when you don't actually have to - and either way, knowledge is power
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Yes I will be speaking to an estate agent and will be focusing on the roof and bay window for now. Going to arrange the window quote tomorrow
    BTW I think you are probably unusual in being less reluctant to engage with estate agents than tradespeople
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Erm...not sure that I am actually...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 14,107 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    one thing i know for sure
    A busy day as I was out all day sorting out this and thatÖ.

I put back some spendy stuff today as I have started (now I am debt free) picking up things I donít really need and I donít wonít be doing that anymore

So, I put back some unnecessary travel toiletries (they were cute) but I can use my gym toiletries as they are already small sized. I put back crisps on offer (no explanation necessary) I put back a scented candle as I have enough essential oils that I can burn.

I did buy sunglasses. Iíve needed them for a long time. I got some very good quality ones for £30. The glass case is good quality leather too.

I went to Vision E. (found nothing ) Then I went to SS. I found some glasses, I would be happy to wear. For once the ones I like the most are the cheapest. They are NHS frames and cost just £25. I will be getting reactolight lenses for an additional £49. I am happy with that. I will sign up and get an eye test too. I think the cost will be about £100 in total and work will contribute £60 so I have no reason not to get this sorted within the target of this month.

I got lots of YS protein. Paid £20 for £75 worth of stuff all safely stashed. Lots of fish which pleases me.The freezer is full and SW and sticking to it should be easier as I also have fruits and veggies and eggs

I went to the gym for a very expensive (given how rarely I use my membership) power shower.

One thing I know for sure?

I WILL NEVER PAY FOR GYM MEMBERSHIP AGAIN. IT HAS BEEN A TOTAL AND EXPENSIVE WASTE OF MONEY.

I now think I joined because I donít have a nice bathroom or a shower. How sad is that? Never mind. That will change

Happy Sunday everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 8th Apr 18, 6:17 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,066 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    A friend of mine would take out any kitchen and bathroom in a house she bought , even if it was only a few month old, so is it worth it.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    blimey, I don't know anyone who could afford to do that - buying here is so difficult people are already stretched so more likely to live with doing things later on. The only people I know who could put significant money in straight away had either an inheritance to spend or very high income.

I certainly couldn't have paid extra for my house as the mortgage wouldn't go any further, even though I do have sufficient spare income to do it up gradually.

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 8th Apr 18, 6:20 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,066 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I now think I joined because I donít have a nice bathroom or a shower. How sad is that? Never mind. That will change

Happy Sunday everyone

Rosa xx

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    • 52,776 Posts
    • 207,375 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glasses sound like a good deal

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • moneyonmymindsam
    • By moneyonmymindsam 8th Apr 18, 8:58 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 4,249 Thanks
    moneyonmymindsam
    Hello , Glad to hear there is some looking after you appearing.

So pleased about the Sunglasses - what a nice treat. I have the same pair in 4 different colours!! naughty Sam.

OMG about Tomato Sauce I really am thick when it comes to things like that so I will be more conscious!!

XX
    Last edited by moneyonmymindsam; 08-04-2018 at 9:04 PM.
    Emergency Fund Challenge
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Apr 18, 11:12 AM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 14,107 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    new health habits
    A day off and up at 8 (late for me)

Health goals
    There have been gradual I have taken on over the past few months and I have noticed positive changes. I have been sleeping well for the past few weeks. The only thing I have done different is I no longer drink coffee after midday. I have also managed to stop eating dairy and I am drinking alcohol very rarely if at all. I never drank much anyway but I noticed it creeping up and worse becoming habitual and I didnít like it. I seem to have my crisp habit under control (it seemed to go hand in hand with drinking wine) I am eating chocolate but only 85% chocolate and I donít really like sweet things anymore not even that single chocolate in Ner0 in the gold wrapper.

I mention this as I am back at fat club tonight and I havenít stuck to the plan We shall see what happensÖ

I am also not taking enough exercise. Iím thinking of doing a weekly plan every Sunday where I identify 3 sessions of exercise.

I need to lose 2kg this month to be Ďon targetí according to my goals so I need to try harder.

Other stuff
    I made some soup today. I used a turkey neck soup in it and the soup is excellent. I wanted to use the turkey liver as it has lots of iron and it is organic. But I canít get past how nasty it looks so I threw it away.

I am going to the Swedish store as my clothes rack broke and I canít dry clothes

House goals
    The roofer is back from holidays and coming on Wednesday to quote. I am hoping he is Ďthe one.í Cherryfudge asked if this was a new form of matchmaking but a good, honest, roofer is way more important than a partner right now. Sad but true

So thatís me today. Wish me luck for fat club
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Apr 18, 11:50 AM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 9,548 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hope fat club goes ok, it does work if you stick to it.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 9th Apr 18, 12:12 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 15,314 Thanks
    parsniphead
    A day off and up at 8 (late for me)

Health goals
    There have been gradual I have taken on over the past few months and I have noticed positive changes. I have been sleeping well for the past few weeks. The only thing I have done different is I no longer drink coffee after midday. I have also managed to stop eating dairy and I am drinking alcohol very rarely if at all. I never drank much anyway but I noticed it creeping up and worse becoming habitual and I didnít like it. I seem to have my crisp habit under control (it seemed to go hand in hand with drinking wine) I am eating chocolate but only 85% chocolate and I donít really like sweet things anymore not even that single chocolate in Ner0 in the gold wrapper.

I mention this as I am back at fat club tonight and I havenít stuck to the plan We shall see what happensÖ

I am also not taking enough exercise. Iím thinking of doing a weekly plan every Sunday where I identify 3 sessions of exercise.

I need to lose 2kg this month to be Ďon targetí according to my goals so I need to try harder.

Other stuff
    I made some soup today. I used a turkey neck soup in it and the soup is excellent. I wanted to use the turkey liver as it has lots of iron and it is organic. But I canít get past how nasty it looks so I threw it away.

I am going to the Swedish store as my clothes rack broke and I canít dry clothes

House goals
    The roofer is back from holidays and coming on Wednesday to quote. I am hoping he is Ďthe one.í Cherryfudge asked if this was a new form of matchmaking but a good, honest, roofer is way more important than a partner right now. Sad but true

So thatís me today. Wish me luck for fat club
    This did make me laugh but I know what you mean.

Good luck at fat club.
    Don't let yourself be controlled by three things: people, money or past experiences.
    Reds life!!! X
    2018 My year of creation, living life and learning.
    I stopped waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel and lit that b*tch up myself.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Apr 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 14,107 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    not a happy bunny
    Iíve sort of wasted the day and Iíve felt tired and irritable despite lots of sleep last night

I am annoyed that I miscalculated my council tax and I am now overdrawn. I can rectify this tomorrow but I am still annoyed. This is what comes of not budgeting properly. Charges will follow! I will do a PROPER budget for my next salary to avoid this happening again.

I went to fat club and after 2 weeks I have a total of 1/2lb gain and that shows I am not taking this seriously. So I will begin doing just that.

The weather is cold and damp and I am a little fed up. Wine is not an option as I am not drinking it for now and donít have any, so going to take a hot water bottle to bed, turn on the fairy lights and watch rubbish TV

I now have an appointment with a roofer so the day is not a total write-off

I hope your day has been positive
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 09-04-2018 at 8:08 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 52,776 Posts
    • 207,375 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the appointment with the roofer.

***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 9,548 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hot water bottle and bed sound good to me.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 9th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,066 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I suggest nice tea or chocolate in place of wine

Glad you have roofer appointment - keep us posted!

Rosa xx

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 14,107 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    bouncing back
    Thanks for the nice messages everyone

You will be pleased to know I am less miserable today

I WFH today. Everywhere looks grubby and dusty

GETTING IT OUT OF THE HOUSE
    Today I have decluttered a coffee pot.

I have a Ďbestí coffee pot that is a vintage one and probably worth £100 or more. I keep it safe and only use it for guests. Decided I am going to use it for everyday. If it breaks so be it. At least I would have got enjoyment from it

Sent a dress back to B0den that I liked but I want to love my clothes from now on

GETTING ORGANISED
    Burning spearmint and orange oil
    Picking up objects off dining room floor
    Clearing dining table
    Bins emptied
    Dining room floor swept (SO MUCH DUST ON FLOOR)
    Sewed a button on a dress and ironed it.
    (Dress hung outside wardrobe as it fits, but is a little tight. Will start wearing when 2 kg target is achieved at the end of April)
    Using dehumidifier as everywhere feels so damp. Lots of water generated!

MONEY MATTERS
    Transferred funds, back in the black, but a £5 fee. The moral of this tale is to create a buffer in my current account which I will do.

I hope you had a positive day
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 10th Apr 18, 5:18 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 15,314 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Im glad to read you're feeling better DIA.

I think you're right about the coffee pot. I'm sure its something we all do with clothes, homewear, etc, but it seems pointless to have things tucked away in cupboards getting dusty. Use it and enjoy it.

It sounds like you had a productive day as well. Good luck with the roofer.
    Don't let yourself be controlled by three things: people, money or past experiences.
    Reds life!!! X
    2018 My year of creation, living life and learning.
    I stopped waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel and lit that b*tch up myself.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,501Posts Today

7,651Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: Our money-saving expert @MartinSLewis explains why he's had enough of the scams trying to trick victims using his name and?

• Today's twitter poll: have you ever seen a ghost?

• RT @JohnnyMercerUK: Another important day ahead in achieving parity of esteem between mental and physical health: the breathing space schem?

• Follow Martin