Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 3,529Posts
    • 19,525Thanks
    doingitanyway
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)
    • 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself) 31st Mar 18 at 9:32 AM
    I am debt free but I have neglected myself and my home for years. My home and I have held up well after years of neglect, but we are both shabby and need of care and attention. I need to move on. This house needs a little family to love it. So I am giving myself 20 months for us both to be camera ready, so we can rise from the ashes of debt like phoenixes in 2020.

So over the next 20 months I will do a minimum of:

--20 Major home improvements

--20 Minor home improvements

--20 kilos

--20 drab to fab changes

--20 health improvements

--20 giant frogs to eat

--20 normal sized frogs to eat

I will set a monthly goal in each category and moan, whinge report on it throughout the month until it is done

For APRIL it looks like this:

—Fix the roof

—Find window film for living room, put it up, clean the window and get curtains taken up

—Lose 2 kilos

—Wear tinted lip balm and perfume everyday in April.

—Walk 3 miles at least once a week

—Get insurances in place. This is A GIANT FROG outstanding for over a decade

—Get glasses. This is a normal sized frog outstanding for 3 years.

So, here I go…
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 31-03-2018 at 6:46 PM.
    Emergency fund 1060/1000
    NSD November 6/30
Page 21
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 4th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 16,199 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I am grateful for my friends.
    I have some lovely friends and over the past week they have treated me to wonderful things and made me feel valued and appreciated.
    Always be grateful for good friends. You must be a good friend yourself or it wouldn't be reciprocated.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 4th Jul 18, 1:28 PM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 16,344 Thanks
    parsniphead
    You've worked hard for your achievements and thoroughly deserve them. You will get the house sorted soon enough.

You deserve a few luxuries.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £502/£502 100% (paid off 30/06/18 - 2 months early )
    Next small debt victim £20/£367 - you're going by 31/08/2018
    Total outstanding consumer debt - £735.68/ £7864.52 9.3%
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Jul 18, 5:34 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 19,525 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Lovely post
    Originally posted by beanielou
    That is a lovely post! It's sometimes nice to recognise that even though things aren't perfect/ as we want them, there's happiness to be found everywhere and reasons for gratitude in the simplest of things.
    Originally posted by Homegrown0
    I wish I counted my blessings more often
    Thank you DIA. Your post brought home with a bang how much there is to be grateful for that I just take for granted.
    It's too easy to be wrapped in a bubble of despondency and not see the many positives in life and you've just given me a much needed kick up the backside! XX
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    Glad to oblige with butt kicking
    Emergency fund 1060/1000
    NSD November 6/30
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Jul 18, 5:37 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 19,525 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    i can't believe the changes you've made to your attitude, your home and your life in general. you are a true inspiration
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    You inspire me too INOD. Thank you for your comments
    Always be grateful for good friends. You must be a good friend yourself or it wouldn't be reciprocated.
    Originally posted by Toni'sfriend
    I try to be a good friend Thank you.
    You've worked hard for your achievements and thoroughly deserve them. You will get the house sorted soon enough.
    You deserve a few luxuries.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Thanks Parsniphead. We will both triumph in the end
    Emergency fund 1060/1000
    NSD November 6/30
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Jul 18, 5:39 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 19,525 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Progress on the house
    New appointment made for roofer to quote to seal squirrel holes on Saturday

Paid for squirrel work

Plasterer appointment for Friday to get a quote.

Called electrician to arrange quote. Left message for him.
    Emergency fund 1060/1000
    NSD November 6/30
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Jul 18, 9:02 AM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 19,525 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    booze
    I have been part of the reducing alcohol thread for a few months but now I have left. I found it helpful to get back on track as I felt wine was becoming a habit. I would feel the day had gone badly so have a glass of wine and I wanted to find other ways to self soothe. It was never my intention to give up alcohol as it one of my pleasures.

Today I will get the house cleaned and organised, pack a lunch for my second job (I have the day off the first job)

There is transport chaos so my facial at the training college will be cancelled.

I have not had chocolate for 3 days so looking forward to having a nice coffee and a few squares of chocolate somewhere. I did this before I went away and saw Phillp Pullman

Have a good day MSE folk
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 06-07-2018 at 7:53 AM.
    Emergency fund 1060/1000
    NSD November 6/30
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 5th Jul 18, 5:01 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 14,804 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Lovely posts DIA recently, sounding very upbeat. Having a car is a most wonderful thing .
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 5th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Just had a read through everything I've missed and have a smile on my face Love the gratitude post again so much. It's really refreshing and makes me want to appreciate certain things in my day to day more.

Opera sounds like a fantastic experience. Would love to do something like that but OH would likely die of boredom. When I was younger me and my parents used to go to the ballet every Christmas and I have such fond memories of being there. Something I would definitely like to get into again.

Sounds like you're making great progress with the house bits And good idea with the garden waste. Glad you enjoyed Aldi... everytime I go I'm so surprised at the price difference. I have two near me and both of them seem to have a very limited range of food which is a shame. Only for me though because I'm so fussy!

I've noticed since I've cut down carbs a wee bit I've been finding it easier to control what it is I'm eating more. I am calorie counting currently but am finding I'm also inadvertently mindful eating which is good! That is the goal in the future... Try to fully disconnect from food as a reward/comfort , which has been my go to for a long time.

Will try and be on more regularly and check in more often, although I have enjoyed having a full three pages to read
    Total Debt : 1723.49 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 19.2 / 45kg
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Jul 18, 5:57 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 19,525 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Lovely posts DIA recently, sounding very upbeat. Having a car is a most wonderful thing .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    I must admit it feels nice to be driving again. Thanks Cumbria
    Just had a read through everything I've missed and have a smile on my face
    Opera sounds like a fantastic experience. Would love to do something like that but OH would likely die of boredom. When I was younger me and my parents used to go to the ballet every Christmas and I have such fond memories of being there. Something I would definitely like to get into again.
    Sounds like you're making great progress with the house bits And good idea with the garden waste. Glad you enjoyed Aldi... everytime I go I'm so surprised at the price difference. I have two near me and both of them seem to have a very limited range of food which is a shame. Only for me though because I'm so fussy!
    Originally posted by lonelyrat
    Thanks for posting Lonelyrat. It's good to get positive feedback as it feels very slow on the house.
    I like Ald1's range and quite like the liimitation too. I find a choice of 15 tinned tomatoes stressful but then I find lots of things stressful
    The opera was wonderful
    Emergency fund 1060/1000
    NSD November 6/30
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Jul 18, 6:00 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 19,525 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    grrrhh
    Breathe in, breathe out. I had a plasterer just send a text. He was due between 5 and 6 and has just said he can’t make it can he come tomorrow? No apology. Do you think I should give him the benefit of the doubt? Am I being hard in thinking if he can’t be reliable at this stage I am better off finding someone else? He is the second plasterer to do this. I’ve been trying for 2 weeks now. My other option is to use the IKE3 plasterer and pay more but at least it gets done.

Feeling disappointed but on the other hand I wouldn’t have a sparkling clean kitchen if he wasn’t due to come. Off to steam clean the kitchen floor...

WFH 9-5

Drudge
    Washing up/ dry/ pack away X1, X1, X1, X1, X1
    Clothes load done and drying
    Cleaned kitchen to Flylady standards. Yup
    Cleaned kitchen window inside and out
    Bins/recycling

Decluttered
    Toxic household cleaner as it made me cough
    A very grubby blind

Dish of the day (cooked and in the fridge)
    Spanish chicken, butterbean and chorizo stew made

Hope you had a good day
    Welcome to the weekend
    Emergency fund 1060/1000
    NSD November 6/30
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Jul 18, 6:11 PM
    • 58,040 Posts
    • 238,954 Thanks
    beanielou
    If he cant come on time for a quote..........
    Was he on a job that over ran did he say?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Jul 18, 6:14 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 19,525 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I posted on your diary at the same time you were posting on mine.
    He said there was a family issue. It was just the tone of his text and the timing...Perhaps I am being a little hard?
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 06-07-2018 at 6:25 PM.
    Emergency fund 1060/1000
    NSD November 6/30
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Jul 18, 6:18 PM
    • 58,040 Posts
    • 238,954 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well he has had one strike.
    If he doesent come tomorrow he's out.

Mind you for me I would just go with Ikea's as it is all so much easier.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Jul 18, 6:24 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 19,525 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I am very tempted to do the whole thing (including plastering) with IK3A and take the hit. My other option is a guy on my road who is a wonderful plasterer but a real pain in the butt. That said, he will do a good job and will not overcharge. I'll have a think.

Thanks Beanie
    Emergency fund 1060/1000
    NSD November 6/30
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 6th Jul 18, 8:10 PM
    • 12,783 Posts
    • 221,772 Thanks
    greenbee
    How long will the PITA plasterer take? If you know it will be done well and at a fair price it's probably worth it. Just make sure you are out for most of the time!
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 6th Jul 18, 9:55 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 1,645 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    I had a great plasterer, but he was incredibly flaky. He suffered with poor health and was constantly putting jobs off. However he was good. And would at least always reply. And was happy to do our lounge in three goes over three months. So I put up with it. I did lie when he was due to do our hall, stairs and landing as he out it of three times. I eventually told him I had the carpet booked so had to have it done by a certain date.

I have found that getting quoted for work is often the hardest part of home improvements. Although I trend to use checkatrade and have struck lucky this week with a landscaper quoting within three days of contact, all booked in for next month and a handyman quoting within a week and booked in for next week.
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 7th Jul 18, 9:24 AM
    • 3,291 Posts
    • 6,877 Thanks
    mark88man
    Plus my experience of plasterers is they are a bit special. Give him the benefit to n terms of the quote. But nail him down on a start date
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight - Fluctuating - less than I was more than I should be
    1/18: CC:11.5K@0% - Car Loan:17K@2.8% - Mort:145K@2.9%
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018-1H:£11K
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 7th Jul 18, 12:23 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 19,525 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    workmen
    Drawingaline’s posting reminded me to try checkathingy again. I have to stop being a big baby and that is where I found my roofer who is great.

Thanks Mark88, you are probably right but I had an instinct thing so for once I am going to trust my gut feeling and let him go.

Greenbee, you are right too but I know I will go mad and if I ‘lose it’ I still have to face him every day on the road so I’ll leave him as a last resort…

I realise it isn’t just the kitchen so no point in getting it all done by the Swedish store as my mission is to collate an assortment of trusted, good workman (who don’t send my stress levels through the roof) That way I can use them as and when to get the house done.

TODAY

I called for a new quote and have a new plasterer who is due to come on Monday

The roofer has been and quoted me to fill the squirrel holes this morning and wire to prevent entry again, EVER. He will be able to do the work next week and the price was confirmed

Chased the electrician

Funny how time stretches. It feels like I have been back home for an age and when I look back it is just two and a half weeks. I desperately need a break somewhere where I can switch off from work/house/family stress

Hope your day is going well
    Emergency fund 1060/1000
    NSD November 6/30
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 7th Jul 18, 12:43 PM
    • 2,010 Posts
    • 12,473 Thanks
    redofromstart
    You really are on a roll with all those quotes, even if you can't control them actually turning up. Just got to keep rolling the dice and hoping for sixes I think.

(Or as my husband says, keep throwing mud at the wall - eventually some will stick)
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 7th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 1,248 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    I think definitely better to go with your gut... If he flakes out on a quote then it would make me concerned about him actually turning up to do the work. Glad you have another one due, fingers will be crossed this is 'the one' haha.
    Total Debt : 1723.49 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 19.2 / 45kg
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,562Posts Today

7,474Users online

Martin's Twitter