20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,868
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You'll get there DIA - it just takes a little getting used to having money to make flow.

This is another reason I find both monthly YNAB budgeting and making myself do a weekly shuffle check really helpful - it means I can see where the money went or will have to go, so I don't panic.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    JoJoC wrote: »
    Thank you! I'm trying so hard to not just write the month off because I know as soon as that happens, it's so easy to lose track and eat into the overdraft. We worked hard to pay that off last year and I WILL NOT go back there.
    Good for you JoJo. I agree. i Will not go back either :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Forumite
    A busy few days.

I have managed to do all I need to with the money I had. I have under 2 weeks to pay day so I will be able to get through this month without going overdrawn. I am so grateful to my CU account. I only had a small amount saved but it made a huge difference. If you are reading this and are earlier on in your debt journey HAVE AN EMERGENCY FUND/BUFFER SAVINGS. You will find it indispensable. ;)

I am due a credit for a coat I sent back. This will pay for a few more driving lessons. I had a double lesson last week. It seems you don’t forget. I was fine, but I went on the motorway and did not enjoy it. Nothing new there. I never did.

Apart from fares I haven’t spent on anything for a few days. Not even food. I had a meal at a friend’s on Monday and yesterday was a course and food was provided.

I batch cooked yesterday evening so I have meals for a few days.

Washing done last night so out on the rack drying. More washing being done too.

I am WFH today so I should be able to get some cleaning and organising at home done.

I am out to a concert this evening ;)

Wishing you a happy hump day :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,805
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Happy Wednesday.
    Enjoy your concert.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • doingitanyway
    Forumite
    edited 16 May 2018 at 2:45PM
    Travel costs
    Losing my pass last week has made me reevaluate my travel costs again. Travel costs and groceries are a huge part of my overall spending so it is important.

I think I will completely stop getting travel passes now. I will just pay as I go. It helps me to see the true cost and stops it being hidden. So for example if I am invited to an event that costs £20 but I pay £10 in fares the true cost in £30 not £20 (before I factor in snacks and drinks).

If I walk somewhere I can immediately see I have saved that fare.

A pay as I go travel pass will help with time management too as I will be more inclined to bunch activities together so I can pay travel costs on one day as a day pass allows me to travel over and over for one total cost.

Work-life balance
    AT LAST. Someone at work has come forward who wants to increase their working days so I can do 4 days a week. :D There will be procedures to follow to get this in place but it seems in touching distance :T:T

Feeling hopeful today :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Fantastic news on the four days DIA. :T It's all coming together for you at once.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    That's amazing news about getting your four day week! Fantastic! How long before it'll take effect?

Interesting viewpoint about the travel pass and definitely worth exploring to see how it changes your mindset. Will it be more expensive to pay as you go?

I'm the opposite- I have to pay as i go and i don't enjoy seeing the £7 come out of my account twice per week. Very untidy!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,868
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Woop woop fingers crossed for 4 days

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,805
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Hope the 4 days workout :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Have caught up with you week now.

First great news on the 4 day week, you will love it as I do .

I feel your pain in getting through the month solvent , I have had to dip into EF this month for dental expenses , but have just got half back from health care plan.

However saying that you are justified in your spends and you have done quite a lot with your money , not like you spent it frivolously.

Well done on your driving, as you say you don't forget, as for motorways I am on one 4 days a week so I feel ok on them, Stick with it , the car is your freedom and the start of adventures.

Have a good weekend .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport