Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 3,014Posts
    • 14,787Thanks
    doingitanyway
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)
    • 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself) 31st Mar 18 at 9:32 AM
    I am debt free but I have neglected myself and my home for years. My home and I have held up well after years of neglect, but we are both shabby and need of care and attention. I need to move on. This house needs a little family to love it. So I am giving myself 20 months for us both to be camera ready, so we can rise from the ashes of debt like phoenixes in 2020.

So over the next 20 months I will do a minimum of:

--20 Major home improvements

--20 Minor home improvements

--20 kilos

--20 drab to fab changes

--20 health improvements

--20 giant frogs to eat

--20 normal sized frogs to eat

I will set a monthly goal in each category and moan, whinge report on it throughout the month until it is done

For APRIL it looks like this:

—Fix the roof

—Find window film for living room, put it up, clean the window and get curtains taken up

—Lose 2 kilos

—Wear tinted lip balm and perfume everyday in April.

—Walk 3 miles at least once a week

—Get insurances in place. This is A GIANT FROG outstanding for over a decade

—Get glasses. This is a normal sized frog outstanding for 3 years.

So, here I go…
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 31-03-2018 at 6:46 PM.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Page 12
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th May 18, 11:52 AM
    • 53,926 Posts
    • 213,564 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy Sunday
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 14,787 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    the next 6 weeks
    I woke up early today thinking of money and wondering how to make ends meet over the next 6 weeks.

This month is beginning to feel squeaky tight. My account is staying in credit by a whisker and I am constantly having to move funds to avoid being overdrawn. Now there are no funds to move. I have about £80 in my CU account left to get me through until payday at the end of the month so will need to call as soon as they open or I will be overdrawn.

Thinking of why money is so tight and it is because I paid for both gas and electricity as a quarterly bill and losing my travel card has meant paying fares twice for the same period.

I promised myself I would open a separate account for spending and I haven’t done that. I do need to get these things in place. It isn’t just about being debt free. It is about staying debt free and ensuring money flows simply without any drama.

I have to pay for the car in June. It is going to be a busy month and an expensive month and that will wipe all my available funds out again.

I also have a mini break in June with no extra funds allocated…

I have to get glasses sorted so I can see long distances

I will need to pay for other car related costs such as petrol and insurance

I have to pay for all the squirrel work and the roofer will need to fill the holes and ensure there won’t be re-entry.

I have a concert on Wednesday with a friend and she is happy for me to owe her the £20 for the ticket but I think I will pay her. Time to break this habit as she is used to me having debt but now I don't

I will be having lots of NSDs coming up.

I will be eating from the freezer and supplementing with F&V.

Will these measures see me through June? I need to prepare a budget and see…

I really feel I don’t want to owe anyone anything but I need to be realistic about the next 6 weeks...

Welcome to your week everyone
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th May 18, 8:24 AM
    • 53,926 Posts
    • 213,564 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a good week.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 14th May 18, 9:22 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 6,471 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Sorry that you've got money stresses - I'm there too at the moment, but it's just been a busy and expensive month and we have lots coming up over the summer. I feel your pain!

Remember that although you've spent a lot this month, you have achieved a lot - on top of what you mentioned above, you also got your roof fixed so it's not surprising that things are tight.

Perhaps spending a little time going through what the rest of the month looks like will put your mind at ease so you know exactly where you stand. I need to do this today!

Have a great week
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th May 18, 10:25 AM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 14,787 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sorry that you've got money stresses - I'm there too at the moment, but it's just been a busy and expensive month and we have lots coming up over the summer. I feel your pain!

Remember that although you've spent a lot this month, you have achieved a lot - on top of what you mentioned above, you also got your roof fixed so it's not surprising that things are tight.

Perhaps spending a little time going through what the rest of the month looks like will put your mind at ease so you know exactly where you stand. I need to do this today!

Have a great week
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    That is very helpful post JoJo. I have done an awful lot this month and I am so happy about my porch and roof but it comes at a cost of course. I will do exactly as you say. Lots of travel today so I'll take my notebook and budget so I know where I am. I hope your calculations work out too
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 14th May 18, 12:05 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 6,471 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Thank you! I'm trying so hard to not just write the month off because I know as soon as that happens, it's so easy to lose track and eat into the overdraft. We worked hard to pay that off last year and I WILL NOT go back there.

I'm so time poor for the next couple of months that I know the temptation will be there to just throw money at the problem. MUST avoid at all costs.

Glad you've got your notebook and budget with you - that should help to keep you on track. I hope you have a chance to enjoy the rays. I'm currently working on my back doorstep
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 14th May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 3,475 Posts
    • 9,212 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    You'll get there DIA - it just takes a little getting used to having money to make flow.

This is another reason I find both monthly YNAB budgeting and making myself do a weekly shuffle check really helpful - it means I can see where the money went or will have to go, so I don't panic.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th May 18, 8:47 AM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 14,787 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thank you! I'm trying so hard to not just write the month off because I know as soon as that happens, it's so easy to lose track and eat into the overdraft. We worked hard to pay that off last year and I WILL NOT go back there.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Good for you JoJo. I agree. i Will not go back either
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th May 18, 8:50 AM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 14,787 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    staying in the red
    A busy few days.

I have managed to do all I need to with the money I had. I have under 2 weeks to pay day so I will be able to get through this month without going overdrawn. I am so grateful to my CU account. I only had a small amount saved but it made a huge difference. If you are reading this and are earlier on in your debt journey HAVE AN EMERGENCY FUND/BUFFER SAVINGS. You will find it indispensable.

I am due a credit for a coat I sent back. This will pay for a few more driving lessons. I had a double lesson last week. It seems you don’t forget. I was fine, but I went on the motorway and did not enjoy it. Nothing new there. I never did.

Apart from fares I haven’t spent on anything for a few days. Not even food. I had a meal at a friend’s on Monday and yesterday was a course and food was provided.

I batch cooked yesterday evening so I have meals for a few days.

Washing done last night so out on the rack drying. More washing being done too.

I am WFH today so I should be able to get some cleaning and organising at home done.

I am out to a concert this evening

Wishing you a happy hump day
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th May 18, 10:30 AM
    • 53,926 Posts
    • 213,564 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy Wednesday.
    Enjoy your concert.

***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 16th May 18, 3:33 PM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 14,787 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    At last :)
    Travel costs
    Losing my pass last week has made me reevaluate my travel costs again. Travel costs and groceries are a huge part of my overall spending so it is important.

I think I will completely stop getting travel passes now. I will just pay as I go. It helps me to see the true cost and stops it being hidden. So for example if I am invited to an event that costs £20 but I pay £10 in fares the true cost in £30 not £20 (before I factor in snacks and drinks).

If I walk somewhere I can immediately see I have saved that fare.

A pay as I go travel pass will help with time management too as I will be more inclined to bunch activities together so I can pay travel costs on one day as a day pass allows me to travel over and over for one total cost.

Work-life balance
    AT LAST. Someone at work has come forward who wants to increase their working days so I can do 4 days a week. There will be procedures to follow to get this in place but it seems in touching distance

Feeling hopeful today
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 16-05-2018 at 3:45 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 16th May 18, 4:14 PM
    • 2,450 Posts
    • 15,569 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Fantastic news on the four days DIA. It's all coming together for you at once.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £53.10/£502 10.57%
    Total outstanding consumer debt - £53.10/ £7864.52
    Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 16th May 18, 4:43 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 6,471 Thanks
    JoJoC
    That's amazing news about getting your four day week! Fantastic! How long before it'll take effect?

Interesting viewpoint about the travel pass and definitely worth exploring to see how it changes your mindset. Will it be more expensive to pay as you go?

I'm the opposite- I have to pay as i go and i don't enjoy seeing the £7 come out of my account twice per week. Very untidy!

• RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 16th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 3,475 Posts
    • 9,212 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Woop woop fingers crossed for 4 days

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 53,926 Posts
    • 213,564 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope the 4 days workout

***Keep plodding***
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 17th May 18, 8:18 PM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 10,723 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Have caught up with you week now.

First great news on the 4 day week, you will love it as I do .

I feel your pain in getting through the month solvent , I have had to dip into EF this month for dental expenses , but have just got half back from health care plan.

However saying that you are justified in your spends and you have done quite a lot with your money , not like you spent it frivolously.

Well done on your driving, as you say you don't forget, as for motorways I am on one 4 days a week so I feel ok on them, Stick with it , the car is your freedom and the start of adventures.

Have a good weekend .
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th May 18, 11:09 PM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 14,787 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    stretching my salary
    Thanks Parsniphead, Rosa and Beanielou
    The 4 days should begin in August

Thanks JoJo.
    Paying cash works best for me but I am going to try a separate account to see if that works too.

Thanks Cumbria
    So excited about the 4 days and the car (a bit scared too but mostly excited)
    Sorry about your dental expenses but glad you get some back from work. We have to look after ourselves, so important.

A late night again as I taught in the evening after work

So I got the credit back for my coat and days of worrying about money led to spending of £20 on lunch and coffees. I met a woman on a train who had done the cancer walk for a friend who lost her life, when I got off the train I put £10 in her shopping bag to go towards the fund raising. I am clearly rich beyond measure. No matter that I have £30 to last the next week. Sometimes I wonder if I am losing the plot…As Dave Ramsey would say STOOPID

I will be eating from stores/freezer few days. I have already paid for veggies due on Tuesday and about 6 pieces of fruit in the house and frozen fruits in the freezer.

I’ll buy eggs for veggie frittatas and I’ll roast veggies and make hummus. I have no olive oil so I will use pumpkin oil instead.

I need to prioritise getting my eyes sorted. I need to see properly to drive after all.

I’m still worried about the car related costs (as well as buying a car) like insurance and tax. It just won’t all be possible for one payday.

I’m going to think about asking if I can pay for the car in two payments instead of one. Maybe I can leave my friend with a post dated cheque for the balance.

I am tired and I have eaten poorly today but there is always tomorrow

I hope you had a good day
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 17-05-2018 at 11:17 PM.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th May 18, 8:40 AM
    • 3,014 Posts
    • 14,787 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    roasted veggies
    A beautiful day today

Up early after a good night’s sleep. Feeling optimistic as it looks like I will get through the month without going into debt. Even paid friend for the concert ticket as after so long owing money it is nice not too.

Pretty much decided to pay for the car in 2 payments by leaving my friend a cheque postdated for next payday.

Paying for fares as I go along is saving me money already. The saving will vary depending on what I am doing but I will save at least £40 a month and often more.

Got a bag of 50p YS butternut squash yesterday and added some red onions and a few old courgettes. They are slowly roasting with herbs and olive oil. It will be nice as roasted veg salad too.

I’m going to buy some eggs later to make a frittata. I found some YS duck in the freezer. Thinking of sweet and sour duck with tomatoes and peppers.

I am due an international call but other than that I plan to potter, stay close to home and clean/organise the house

I have the kitchen planner coming tomorrow and I need to arrange for another 2 quotes for windows next week too

I hope you all have a lovely day
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 20th May 18, 8:53 AM
    • 2,450 Posts
    • 15,569 Thanks
    parsniphead
    A good day for pottering at home DIA. I hope you enjoy it and it stays sunny for you.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £53.10/£502 10.57%
    Total outstanding consumer debt - £53.10/ £7864.52
    Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 20th May 18, 9:32 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 6,471 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Sounds like all is going well in DIA land - have a happy Sunday!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,198Posts Today

8,721Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin