Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 3,300Posts
    • 17,757Thanks
    doingitanyway
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)
    • 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself) 31st Mar 18 at 9:32 AM
    I am debt free but I have neglected myself and my home for years. My home and I have held up well after years of neglect, but we are both shabby and need of care and attention. I need to move on. This house needs a little family to love it. So I am giving myself 20 months for us both to be camera ready, so we can rise from the ashes of debt like phoenixes in 2020.

So over the next 20 months I will do a minimum of:

--20 Major home improvements

--20 Minor home improvements

--20 kilos

--20 drab to fab changes

--20 health improvements

--20 giant frogs to eat

--20 normal sized frogs to eat

I will set a monthly goal in each category and moan, whinge report on it throughout the month until it is done

For APRIL it looks like this:

óFix the roof

óFind window film for living room, put it up, clean the window and get curtains taken up

óLose 2 kilos

óWear tinted lip balm and perfume everyday in April.

óWalk 3 miles at least once a week

óGet insurances in place. This is A GIANT FROG outstanding for over a decade

óGet glasses. This is a normal sized frog outstanding for 3 years.

So, here I goÖ
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 31-03-2018 at 6:46 PM.
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
Page 11
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th May 18, 1:47 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 17,757 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sorry to hear about the coffee pot Sad times.
    However, you're right. You should 'invest' in a new one because:
    1. You are debt-free so you CAN
    2. A coffee pot brings you joy so is worth the investment
    3. Coffee is life.
    Happy Tuesday to you.
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    Thanks JoJo I will be buying a new coffee pot. And you are right, coffee is life
    You are debt and mortgage free so why not treat yourself. Enjoy the new coffee pot.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Thanks parsniphead
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th May 18, 1:49 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 17,757 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    How lovely to find your new diary DIA and read about your fabulous progress.
    I look forward to hearing about your new adventures.
    Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    Thanks for dropping in Fortune. I am progressing towards a dog and a new home and you have inspired me to do both.
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th May 18, 1:50 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 17,757 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    sunshine
    A WFH day

Made buckwheat wraps
    (Didnít think they would work without eggs but they do and taste just as good )

Made hummus
    (Added a sweet red pepper and it tastes yum)

I have a salesman coming to quote for the windows on Friday. I will start searching for another two companies so I can compare the quotes.

Checked all accounts. Considering I did the roof and porch, bought a cordless vacuum and paid for my ticket to Cornwall for next month I donít think I did badly at all. I have the winter bills for electricity and gas to pay for too so now my accounts are cleared out but that is okay.

I have not addressed an emergency fund yet. This should have been a priority. I will check my CU account as this could be used for that purpose

I have been trying to eat vegan but also being gluten free and needing to eat low carb for another health issue is complicated. Todayís breakfast did not work for me. Too high carb so hunger was unleashed Back to the drawing board.

Sunshine is so life enhancing isnít it?

Wishing you all lots of vitamin D
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 8th May 18, 2:22 PM
    • 12,725 Posts
    • 221,256 Thanks
    greenbee
    I like roasted veg for breakfast - I usually have it with egg or bacon (or both if I'm feeling greedy!), but for a vegan version how about scrambled tofu for added protein? My other options tend to be overnight oats (well, oats, oatbran, ground linseed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds) with dried or fresh fruit and a spoonful of nut butter. I tend to make these with yogurt to eat cold and rice milk to turn into porridge. If you're making porridge you can also add a bit of coconut oil.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th May 18, 1:57 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 17,757 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I like roasted veg for breakfast - I usually have it with egg or bacon (or both if I'm feeling greedy!), but for a vegan version how about scrambled tofu for added protein? My other options tend to be overnight oats (well, oats, oatbran, ground linseed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds) with dried or fresh fruit and a spoonful of nut butter. I tend to make these with yogurt to eat cold and rice milk to turn into porridge. If you're making porridge you can also add a bit of coconut oil.
    Originally posted by greenbee
    I'm quite knowledgeable about food and nutrition, so I am aware of the options, I just need to work on choosing a breakfast that suits me, but thank you Greenbee. Your roasted veg for breakfast sounds nice
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th May 18, 2:00 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 17,757 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    one change alters everything else
    The good thing about not drinking alcohol is I can see the effect eating wrongly has on me. Today I woke up with what I would have assumed is a hangover if I had been drinking.

I can see veganism is not going to work for me but I am pleased I tried.

Now I am WFH I am trying to use the time after work (when I would have been commuting) more constructively.

Yesterday evening I did an hour of gardening. I also walked for 30 minutes.

This evening after work I will be going to buy and post a friendís present and later I will wash a window.

I checked my CU account. There is not much in it. I am going to use my teaching income to top this up. By the end of May I will have £500 put away

I am WFH so washing has been done and is now outside drying

Iíve been remembering the stove top coffee pot I used to have and how nice the smell of percolating coffee was. They are made of stainless steel and even I cannot break that! They have fancy shmanzy ones in TKM so I will be picking one up after work today

It is funny how one change alters everything else. If I have a car I could begin to look for local jobs that require a car for visiting clients. It isnít urgent and my job has many pluses but it is good that another option has opened up

Have a sunny, positive day everyone
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th May 18, 2:55 PM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 6,894 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Nice, positive post from you today DIA

Glad you're being productive with your added WFH time - this lunchtime i did a 30 minute exercise class, washed dishes and put the bin out, as well as put a washing in the machine. I can't manage to be that productive every day but it feels good to know other things are being done. Less to worry about later!

Have a great day
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th May 18, 10:17 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 17,757 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    crazy days
    A very busy day. I have been on the go since 6.30am and after 2 jobs I am home. Things were tight with no downtime. So, although I was upset I wasn't surprised that I lost my travel pass. So £30 worth of travel gone and I will need to spend another £16 to get where I need to go and there is the cost of the photo. That mishap cost me £56 and all because I was doing too much.

I am upset but I can't help thinking it could have been worse....my keys, my purse?

Starved all day and then a bag of tortilla chips purchased at the station. A big bag!

The squirrels are back nesting in the attic!!!

Tomorrow I have 2 quotes booked, one at 10am and another at 3pm. (One to eradicate squirrels the other is a windows quote.) Too tired to cancel them. Hopefully after a good night's sleep I will handle them fine.

The squirrels are an additional cost but I now know how they are getting in so once they are gone the access points can be sealed.

A crazy day. I need tomorrow to be less crazy.

I hope your day has been a good one and your tomorrow is even better
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th May 18, 10:19 PM
    • 56,856 Posts
    • 231,556 Thanks
    beanielou
    What a long day.
    Hope that the quotes go well
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th May 18, 11:37 AM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 17,757 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    brighter
    After the turbo charged day I had yesterday I woke up feeling much brighter.

Losing my travel pass is upsetting but when I was in debt and this happened I had to take time off work until pay day as I could not afford to get to work. So, it could all be worse.

The squirrel man has just left. He was the most expensive quote but I got a good vibe and strangely, he cares about the animals and wants them not to suffer. He knows what he is doing so I am going with him.

The squirrel man found they have chewed through my cables which is why my lights were flickering upstairs! This is very dangerous! He recommended an electrician (I need one for other things too) I called and he has given me Check-AT to see reviews of his work. He appears impressive. He will be coming to quote for work next week. Letís hope he does not overcharge.

The window quote is late this afternoon.

Weather nice so I have washed blankets to get put away until winter.

I am much less anxious than last week prior to tradespeople.

I hope your day is going well
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 11th May 18, 12:24 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 16,193 Thanks
    parsniphead
    It's good to hear you are feeling brighter today.

I'm also needing new Windows in the near future. It's a quote I fear.

I hope it all goes well.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £502/£502 100% (paid off 30/06/18 - 2 months early )
    Next small debt victim £20/£367 - you're going by 31/08/2018
    Total outstanding consumer debt - £735.68/ £7864.52 9.3%
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 18, 1:42 PM
    • 56,856 Posts
    • 231,556 Thanks
    beanielou
    You are doing really well.
    Hope window quote goes well.
    Happy Friday

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th May 18, 5:06 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 17,757 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It's good to hear you are feeling brighter today.
    I'm also needing new Windows in the near future. It's a quote I fear.
    I hope it all goes well.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    You were right. The windows quote was mad I need to get another quote to compare but
    You are doing really well.
    Hope window quote goes well.
    Happy Friday
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks beanielou. I am doing well but I still had an upset tummy and fast heart rate due to nerves. I wish that didn't happen
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 11th May 18, 5:27 PM
    • 12,725 Posts
    • 221,256 Thanks
    greenbee
    Three quotes remember. And talk to them about what the options are. Opening casements are more expensive that non-openers for example. More glazing bars cost more. Different locking systems and handles can cost more. And even types of glazing. So ask them what options they have and get them to quote for a couple of different things.

I ended up going for the cheapest quote in order to be able to afford the windows - if there hadn't been so much to do I'd have spent a bit more, but they're OK and should last another 20 years or so.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 11th May 18, 6:26 PM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 6,894 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Windows and doors are expensive to replace, but I agree with not only getting a few companies to quote, but get them to quote for a few different options too. For all you know, their 'standard' price might be their gold plated price in the hope that folk think that's the norm.

Worth exploring anyway and as i said, i'll be watching and learning from you!

If only we were closer, i'd send my husband round to sort your electrics. I know he's a trustworthy tradesperson and I'd come with him to indulge in some coffee from your soon to be new coffee pot while he was working! How far is too far to travel for a small job? haha
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th May 18, 6:45 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 17,757 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Greenbee and JoJo. Just to reassure you I will be getting at least 3 quotes and asking for different options. I had windows down eight years ago so know the difference variations in the product can make. The quoted for window company only do one type of option but I doubt I will be going with them anyway. My current windows (the ones that were fitted 8 years ago were good so if they are competitive I will probably go with them again. I'm also realising cost and value for money are too different things. Of course I want it to be minimal cost but more importantly I want the job to be done properly for the price it is worth.

I'm starting to realise good tradesmen WANT to do a good job. They get satisfaction from it and want to please the customer. This was the case with my roofer. When they are good they are actually nice to work with

I also wish you were nearer JoJo! Coffee, whilst your husband did the electrics would be such a treat.
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th May 18, 6:48 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 17,757 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    keeping on keeping on
    I am WFH today

Today my new updated driving licence arrived. It is funny to see it. Driving will become a reality in the future once again and this is the physical proof

I paid my electricity and gas bills

HOUSE GOALS

The squirrel man has been here to set up in the loft for operation squirrel eradication.

I will call the second double glazer next week as I need a few days off from stuff on the house. As long as the window goes in by the end of June I am within my targets.

I texted the electrician to say I will be in touch when the squirrel situation is sorted so he can address the wiring in the loft.

I threw away an old radio and some rubbish from the loft. I am trying to ensure I use my household rubbish to get rid of as much miscellaneous stuff as possible. Bit by bit. I pay enough council tax!

SELF CARE
    I have booked an eye test for Monday.

I have lots of plans for Monday socially and I have been pushing myself. Another busy week approaches. Tomorrow I will spend the day gently. I want to have a swim, have a coffee in the window of a coffee shop and read a book. Small pleasures.

I found a book review for The Art of not Falling Apart. The author states one of her pleasures in life are crisps and wine. Mine too but I have stopped both. Dame Vera Lynn has a small bag of crisps and a glass of wine daily too. I am thinking of (mindfully) reintroducing both. Iím buying the book and I am definitely having a glass of fizz tonight.

I hope you are all enjoying your Saturday
    Emergency fund 500/1000
    If not now then when?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th May 18, 6:53 PM
    • 56,856 Posts
    • 231,556 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the eye test

***Keep plodding***
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 13th May 18, 8:41 AM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 13,395 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    You have been very busy on the house front , plus hope the blasted squirrels get sorted out once and for all , they need a new home not in your loft.

Driving licence coming , not long now till you get your car , then losing your bus pass won't be a worry . Losing your car keys in the house will be the problem. Mine can be anywhere , including the fridge , don't ask.

Have a good restful day.
    CC1 £221 /£3718
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 13th May 18, 9:20 AM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 16,193 Thanks
    parsniphead
    You're really cracking on with things. Fantastic.

I hope you enjoy your crisps.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £502/£502 100% (paid off 30/06/18 - 2 months early )
    Next small debt victim £20/£367 - you're going by 31/08/2018
    Total outstanding consumer debt - £735.68/ £7864.52 9.3%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,326Posts Today

7,896Users online

Martin's Twitter