Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redmalc
    • By redmalc 31st Mar 18, 6:30 AM
    • 1,295Posts
    • 481Thanks
    redmalc
    SSE Smart meter
    • 31st Mar 18, 6:30 AM
    SSE Smart meter 31st Mar 18 at 6:30 AM
    Hi Guys

Should we get a smart meter or not.SSE are fitting in our area in a couple of weeks.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 31st Mar 18, 7:27 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 2,093 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 31st Mar 18, 7:27 AM
    • 31st Mar 18, 7:27 AM
    Your choice - lots of threads on the forum for and against.

At the end of the day its a .
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 31st Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    • 6,377 Posts
    • 4,093 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 31st Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    • 31st Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    Hi Guys

Should we get a smart meter or not.SSE are fitting in our area in a couple of weeks.
    Originally posted by redmalc
    My personal advice is wait until all suppliers are rolling out the new generation of smart meters that comply with the SMETS2 technical specification. These meters offer greater data security and will remain smart if you switch.

You also need to ask yourself what it is that you expect a smart meter to give you. For example, I have just given my suppliers gas and electricity readings and I will get bills based on these readings within the next 7 days. Yes, it is raining, so I suppose a smart meter might have saved me from a minute or so in the rain.

Will a smart meter save me any money? No - it is a meter - nothing more, nothing less. Bills will only fall if energy usage is reduced by the consumer. I accept that an in house device might encourage you to turn off a few lights but this is not likely to make a huge difference to your bill.

As said above, the decision has to be one that only you can make.

PS: please do not make your decision based on the spurious concerns expressed by some about cancer risks; fires etc.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 31st Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 31st Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    • 31st Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    I don't know ifs a new sneaky trick. But SSE posted something through my door, saying they are installing in my area next week, with my post code. And then an appointment style card
    ...... Morning Afternoon Evening
    Mon
    Tue

For me to ring them up and choose a slot, and then I would mark it on the card to remind me.

Is it another trick like:
    1) THey are in the neighborhood, may as well get it done while they are here.
    2) All your neighbors are having them, keep up with the Jones lol

To awnser the OP. No! Unless its an Version 2. or SME2
    • redmalc
    • By redmalc 31st Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    redmalc
    • 31st Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    • 31st Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    Andy that is what I have had through the door
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 31st Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 31st Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    • 31st Mar 18, 5:25 PM
    I'm fairly sure its another marketing trick, but I will keep an eye out next week to see if anyone's having them fitted in the evening
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 31st Mar 18, 6:02 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 4,100 Thanks
    Ken68
    • 31st Mar 18, 6:02 PM
    • 31st Mar 18, 6:02 PM
    Having moved to Scottish Power, my SSE fitted smart meter still works, though not for historical data.It was supplied as SME2 compatible.Just plug it in when readings are wanted, no problem.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 31st Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 66,514 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 31st Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    • 31st Mar 18, 6:43 PM
    Ken68 - if the meter is supplying your new supplier with readings, then no problem.

HOWEVER if you are supplying readings based on the Kwh reading given by the little in home device then you have a BIIIG problem - the electricity readings should be correct but the gas reading will be over 11 times what the actual reading on the meter will be and you will get a hugely inflated bill for gas.

You need to check that the new supplier is using the correct readings.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 31st Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    robin58
    • 31st Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 31st Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    I will wait until I am forced to have one.

I had the experience of internet connected meter readings every half hour at a place that I worked over 8 years ago.

In that context it allowed the energy section at head office to question why they saw a high consumption at a certain time of day and find ways of reducing the energy used. It seemed to work as the industry I was in was a high consumer type. In the first year of doing they saved a £1m in energy costs. This is a way of good use of smart metering.

I can understand the smart meters in this setting but not in a domestic setting.

The way they are being advertised as in 'ohh look if you turn this off you could save a few pennies' is insulting.

They would do better if they put the adverting into a fully comprehensive guide on what will save you real money.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 31st Mar 18, 9:18 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 4,100 Thanks
    Ken68
    "You need to check that the new supplier is using the correct readings"

Thanks D....have checked in the past that the readings are the same as the meters( though not lately.) And also have a written history going back several years.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 31st Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    • 4,766 Posts
    • 16,485 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I have SSE smart meters and guess what? they record how much gas and electricity that I use.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 81.2
    Total so far - 3257.1
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 31st Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 4,357 Posts
    • 5,796 Thanks
    zeupater
    Hi

Is it actually SSE doing the installation or one of the sub-contractors stirring-up a little additional business because going is slow? ...

Anyway, as mentioned by others, if you decide to have a smart-meter installed it's probably better for yourself and for everyone else if you wait for SMETS-2 meters to become widely available ... the industry has been a little 'shy' when it comes to SMETS-2 compliant meters for a while, but questions asked in parliament about a month ago suggested that the new meters are extremely rare, with the DCC confirming that only about 500 had been supplied, of which 250 were installed ... not really a good position to be in considering the millions of meters which had been installed and all of the problems, duplicated effort & additional cost which this 'little omission' will cause ... looks like more £billions transferred from customer pockets to the sub-contracted installers then!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 1st Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    badmemory
    I'm waiting for generation 3 & then I will re-assess. So far nothing I have seen has impressed me at all, when gen 2 has had a go at cobbling it all together hopefully gen 3 may sort it. So far I am still going with the "can't organise a booze-up in a brewery" theory. My serious wants from this - either a meter I can read without anymore difficulty than I already have or an IHD that lasts longer than a year & gives me actual meter readings in case the crappy new meter is impossible to read.

I know I am never going to cut down my energy usage in terms of £s, but I do know in the past I reduced my KwH usage by buying new style TVs & comp screens. I expect my next usage reduction to be when I replace my old fridge & freezer. This is unlikely to save me money in £s usage but should give me savings in terms of KwHs usage.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    AndyPK
    I don't know ifs a new sneaky trick. But SSE posted something through my door, saying they are installing in my area next week, with my post code. And then an appointment style card
    ...... Morning Afternoon Evening
    Mon
    Tue

For me to ring them up and choose a slot, and then I would mark it on the card to remind me.
    Originally posted by AndyPK

I shouldn't have worried.

They are in my area again in May
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

1,678Users online

Martin's Twitter