Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 30th Mar 18, 9:40 PM
    • 8,364Posts
    • 6,142Thanks
    esuhl
    Samsung phone USB driver not installing
    • 30th Mar 18, 9:40 PM
    Samsung phone USB driver not installing 30th Mar 18 at 9:40 PM
    I'm trying to connect my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone to my Win7 x64 PC via USB cable so I can transfer files between the phone and PC. I can't use Kies as I'm using custom firmware, so I'm using the latest official Samsung USB driver (v. 1.5.51.0).

This driver worked before, but when I plug in my phone, choose "file transfer via USB", I get the following (edited) pop-up message:

Device driver software was not successfully installed

Samsung Mobile USB Composite Device - Ready to use
    MTP USB Device X Failed
    SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface - Ready to use

I've been using a rear USB port on the motherboard. I've also tried using a different cable, and different ports. And I tried deleting all USB devices in Device Manager, uninstalling the driver via the Control Panel, rebooting, and installing the drivers again.

But nothing changes.

(At least I can use ADB in the meantime.)

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try? Help!
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 30th Mar 18, 11:12 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 30th Mar 18, 11:12 PM
    • 30th Mar 18, 11:12 PM
    You may have to turn USB Debugging on - you'll find this in the Developer Options under Settings on the phone.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 30th Mar 18, 11:34 PM
    • 8,364 Posts
    • 6,142 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 30th Mar 18, 11:34 PM
    • 30th Mar 18, 11:34 PM
    You may have to turn USB Debugging on - you'll find this in the Developer Options under Settings on the phone.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Thanks, but I already have that turned on.

I also tried revoking USB debugging authorisations, and then manually authorising my PC when I connected to it again. But still the same problem...

I can use ADB to copy the files to my PC successfully... but it's a bit of a pain compared to using Windows Explorer.
    Last edited by esuhl; 30-03-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    • outofworksch
    • By outofworksch 31st Mar 18, 8:31 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    outofworksch
    • 31st Mar 18, 8:31 AM
    • 31st Mar 18, 8:31 AM
    I find very often a look through Microsoft answers forum can help me with problems.

Does this help you at all

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/the-mtp-usb-device-driver-doesnt-install-i-cannot/c85da1e4-9303-4d36-8659-c06864554cbe
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 31st Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 32,546 Posts
    • 20,478 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 31st Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 31st Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    What about uploading them to Google Drive then download them on a pc or use 1 of the apps to transfer the files to a pc.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 31st Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 10,947 Posts
    • 4,696 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 31st Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 31st Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    I use USBDEVIEW to delete drivers from an existing port then reinstall .
    Id Samsung driver fails try Kies .
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 1st Apr 18, 3:16 AM
    • 8,364 Posts
    • 6,142 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 1st Apr 18, 3:16 AM
    • 1st Apr 18, 3:16 AM
    I find very often a look through Microsoft answers forum can help me with problems.

Does this help you at all

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/the-mtp-usb-device-driver-doesnt-install-i-cannot/c85da1e4-9303-4d36-8659-c06864554cbe
    Originally posted by outofworksch
    Interesting -- thanks. But, does anyone know what the command actually does?

Code:
    net localgroup Administrators local service /add
    Does it add users "local" and "service" to the "Administrators" group...? Are there any security implications to this...? :-/

What about uploading them to Google Drive then download them on a pc or use 1 of the apps to transfer the files to a pc.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    I can use ADB, so I can copy files. It's just annoying that MTP doesn't work.

I use USBDEVIEW to delete drivers from an existing port then reinstall .
    Id Samsung driver fails try Kies .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Kies isn't compatible with my firmware, but USBDeview looks pretty interesting -- thanks! I'll have a play :-)
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 9th Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    • 8,364 Posts
    • 6,142 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    After nothing else worked, I performed a factory reset, and the driver installs perfectly. Yay!

I'm not sure what was wrong with the phone. I did disable a lot of the "start on boot" and "run in background" permissions for a few system apps, so... my guess is that I over-tweaked something there...

Just thought I'd update this thread in case anyone else has the same problem in future. :-)
    • outofworksch
    • By outofworksch 9th Apr 18, 7:49 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    outofworksch
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:49 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:49 PM
    Glad to hear you got it all sorted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,597Posts Today

8,253Users online

Martin's Twitter