Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • swindled
    • By swindled 30th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 19Thanks
    swindled
    I wish to have a TV without a licence...
    • 30th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    I wish to have a TV without a licence... 30th Mar 18 at 8:34 PM
    As title. I wish to purchase and use a TV in my property to watch things like Netflix and play DVDs from my PC. As I understand it I don't need a licence for this as I won't be watching live or time-shifted broadcast television.

Given the poorly disguised propaganda that comes out of the BBC nowadays, I don't wish to watch, much less fund it with the licence fee. The offerings from the other terrestrial channels have worsened in quality since I was a lad, I just used to watch the films, which it seems are no longer available or much reduced in number - and I won't be bothering with the likes of a Sky/Virgin subscription either - you have to pay through the nose to get anything better than wall to wall Judge Judy, Homes under the Hammer and Location Location Location.

A potential issue I have found is that all modern sets sold in the last few years have FreeView installed as standard and it is just a simple matter of turning away from the AV/HDMI selection to TV and selecting the channel you wish to watch.

How do I ensure I am safe legally by using my TV for non live broadcast viewing when it is simply a matter of changing the channel to access the live broadcasts? The TV will be in my living room and visible to any TV licence inspector that peers through my front window when my curtains are open.
Page 3
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 1st Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 10,701 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Just to put you straight, We meter readers do not have legal authority to enter anyone`s home. We have to be invited in. So exactly the same as Capita officers, and just like them we would need a warrant to enter if one was needed badly enough.
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Okay, but aren't you required to physically inspect meters every 2 years or something? i.e. you have a compelling regulatory reason to enter the premises. TVL have nothing like that - AFAICT when the BBC talk about the "duty to enforce", they are making it up. There's certainly nothing like that in the legislation.

Its very rare that I ever report incidents to the Police.No point because they will not do anything. I expect Capita officers think the same way
    What do you think the answer is, then?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 1st Apr 18, 9:04 PM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    House Martin
    Tony Hall has indicated there will be a new way of funding the BBC by 2025 .That has to be the answer. You may have a better idea how that will possibly work. The way it is now is nt working very well at all and the UKs Magistrates I expect would like to see the end of it all too.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 1st Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    • 10,701 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Tony Hall has indicated there will be a new way of funding the BBC by 2025
    I got the impression he was just saying that it would be completely outdated by then. A lot of people think it's outdated now.

You may have a better idea how that will possibly work. The way it is now is nt working very well at all and
    I don't know what Tony Hall has in mind, but the process of making a decision about it is a lot more complicated than him simply deciding. The most obvious solution to me is for the Licence to become an electronically-enforced subscription.

... the UKs Magistrates I expect would like to see the end of it all too.
    That's my understanding, too.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 1st Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 4,676 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    I can say this now because it happened in the late 1970s/early 1980s.....

The requirement for an individual TV licence was a bone of contention with those of us who lived in Armed Forces barrack blocks. Specifically, the WRAF block I lived in had a communal lounge with a colour tv set that we all paid for by monthly subscriptions - yet we still needed our own licences if we had our own (12" B&W) sets in our own rooms.

Then one evening the TV licence detector van paid a visit to our unit.... Bearing in mind that tannoy broadcasts could be heard all over the unit, except the inside of moving vehicles (engine noise drowned it out), the orderly Cpl announced that the van was on the unit and that all personnel with private tv sets were to have their licences ready for inspection.

They didn't catch a single person.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 02-04-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 2nd Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 2,864 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Okay, but aren't you required to physically inspect meters every 2 years or something? i.e. you have a compelling regulatory reason to enter the premises.

What do you think the answer is, then?
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Yes to the first question.. To the second, have a moan on here?

I have no idea what the employer is like, although most of the outsourcing firms seem to be pretty unprofessional, but when we directly employed our own meter readers and fixers assaults on staff were taken very seriously.

There would be meter reader's comments on the customer records which gave them an idea what to expect. With the arrival of the data protection act we had to go through these comments and replace the statements. So "Amorous Housewife" (and I'm not kidding) would be replaced by something like "Do not visit alone". That was a catch-all for a number of situations!..
    • Uxb
    • By Uxb 4th Apr 18, 4:36 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    Uxb
    Tony Hall has indicated there will be a new way of funding the BBC by 2025 .That has to be the answer. You may have a better idea how that will possibly work. The way it is now is nt working very well at all and the UKs Magistrates I expect would like to see the end of it all too.
    I expect it to be something like Germany where it just became a national compulsory tax on every house regardless or their occupants TV viewing habits or lack of them.
    I have no idea how Germany actually collects it but in the UK I could see it being added into the council tax bill.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 4th Apr 18, 6:12 PM
    • 10,701 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I expect it to be something like Germany where it just became a national compulsory tax on every house regardless or their occupants TV viewing habits or lack of them.
    I have no idea how Germany actually collects it but in the UK I could see it being added into the council tax bill.
    Originally posted by Uxb
    Yes, that's definitely a possibility.

As long as it's related to ability to pay (as it seems like Denmark's might be), and it has an opt-out for people who don't need a Licence (like France), I will be happy with it.

• wild666
    • By wild666 12th Apr 18, 6:32 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    wild666
    If you only want to watch DVD's and Netflix why not just use your PC/Laptop? That's if it had a DVD/Blueray drive. Invest in a bigger monitor
    Someone please tell me what money is
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 15th Apr 18, 4:54 AM
    • 2,403 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    Nilrem
    TV's are cheaper (much cheaper) and have better speakers than most PC's and laptops, they're also usually positioned in a good spot to watch comfortably.

Not to mention Blu-ray playback on PC is still far from ideal in many cases

If I only wanted to watch non BBC "on demand" and DVD/BD's I'd just disconnect the aerial, connect up a suitable STB and player and let the TVL know I wasn't going to be watching TV.
    Simplest, cheapest and most comfortable way to go to streaming/home video only

I'm saying this as someone who does have a PC connected to his TV in several rooms,with cordless controls but much prefers to use dedicated devices where possible due to less faffing (I've had a PC connected to TV's for nearly 20 years on and off, and for many things a dedicated box is stiff far superior).
    • HWW
    • By HWW 28th Apr 18, 7:49 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    HWW
    Yawn ! yet another BBC basher at work on here
    .What "poorly disguised BBC propaganda " is upsetting you ? I ve not noticed anything .
    Odd how the worlds best broadcaster and the UK s largest viewing figures by a country mile gets so much stick on here from recently joined forum users..

Can we have a truce on here and try and leave Auntie alone.
    If you really want to save 40 p a day can you do it without BBC bashing please at the same time and enjoy your Americana on Netflix at 80 a year ..
    I ve personally just enjoyed on BBC2 since 6 pm, Eggheads, The Repair Shop, and a brilliant Mastermind final.and will continue with Gardeners World and then Pilgrimage .The Road to Santiago , which I will be doing myself in a few months.
    Worlds most popular TV channel is.......BBC News ! because the BBC is the most trusted for world news.
    14 mins later, BBC PR/Tom/HM replies, defending the BBC as hard as he can go........
    Ask Sir Cliff Richard, how much HE trusts the BBC - probably as far as he can kick them......
    • HWW
    • By HWW 28th Apr 18, 7:51 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    HWW
    I expect the BBC to be closed down, LONG before 2025.
    • HWW
    • By HWW 28th Apr 18, 7:54 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    HWW
    Are you the TVL employee who gains access, by pretending to a meter reader?
    Originally posted by societys child
    No, he sits in a Bristol Capita office, writing TVL propaganda
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

195Posts Today

1,552Users online

Martin's Twitter