Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • oscart1111
    • By oscart1111 30th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 4Thanks
    oscart1111
    Private plate number spacing
    • 30th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    Private plate number spacing 30th Mar 18 at 5:43 PM
    Hi everyone,

Recently got a new plate, it was purchased as: T** NGX. I want to get it put onto my vehicle sometime soon but I was wondering if I could space it as T**NG X with just a space after the G instead.

Have seen many other vehicles with similarly spaced plates but I would just like to make sure before I go ahead.

Warm regards,

Oscar
Page 4
    • reeac
    • By reeac 8th Apr 18, 7:30 AM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    reeac
    [QUOTE=AndyMc.....;74129479]Absolutely, let the police enforce excise offences and leave the murders, rapists and burglers free to continue to commit their offences.[/QUOTE
    ]
    I think that the point made in post no. 56 regarding ANPR answers that one.
    • Altarf
    • By Altarf 8th Apr 18, 9:07 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 1,681 Thanks
    Altarf
    Recently got a new plate, it was purchased as: T** NGX. I want to get it put onto my vehicle sometime soon but I was wondering if I could space it as T**NG X with just a space after the G instead.
    Originally posted by oscart1111
    It isn't legal and it will make you look like a twatt, but lots seem to.
    • IvanS
    • By IvanS 15th Apr 18, 9:27 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    IvanS
    Apologies if someone else may have posted the following info., but I do not have time to read the many replies.

If a registration is not spaced correctly then any challenge by the police is passed on to D.V.L.A.

D.V.L.A. on its records then marks a 'strike' against that registration. After three strikes D.V.L.A. normally confiscate the registration without payment of compensation. I doubt that this routine procedure is publicised but it is nevertheless fact.

Somewhat ironically D.V.L.A. sell registrations arguably knowing that their worth relies on mis-spacing, and then later they confiscate.

If one buys a registration which ideally needs mis-spacing then unless one buys this either from D.V.L.A. or on a 'Certificate of Entitlement' then obviously that registration will at some time have been used on a vehicle. In which case before buying it is prudent to ask D.V.L.A. if any strikes exist. Whether or not they will tell you I don't know.

I sell registrations and so I'm careful to legally space any I place on my own vehicles so they if such are sold I can guarantee them as being strike free.

At the moment my registration M155 TAR would best be spaced M155TAR but it would be too risky to do so.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 15th Apr 18, 9:41 AM
    • 3,638 Posts
    • 2,260 Thanks
    Car 54
    At the moment my registration M155 TAR would best be spaced M155TAR but it would be too risky to do so.
    Originally posted by IvanS
    See also post #16.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,949Posts Today

6,326Users online

Martin's Twitter