Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • loveka
    • By loveka 30th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 430Posts
    • 382Thanks
    loveka
    Painting upvc cladding
    • 30th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    Painting upvc cladding 30th Mar 18 at 11:36 AM
    We are buying a house which has horrendous upvc cladding on the walls in the kitchen. It looks dreadful.

We will be ripping it all out in 18months (need to save up!) But in the meantime we want to paint it.

We were thinking of doing it with chalk paint to make it look a bit rustic.

The alternative would be a primer with paint on top, which would be very time consuming.

Is this a good idea? Is there anything else we can do? Thanks.
Page 1
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 30th Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 30th Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    • 30th Mar 18, 2:52 PM
    What is under it?

If you can remove it easily you might find a reasonable surface underneath that you can paint.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 31st Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 1,556 Posts
    • 1,489 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 31st Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 31st Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    If there's nothing decent beneath, then I would rub down, prime and then paint - if you really must. If you're ripping it out in 18 months, I'd leave it as it is; you'll not even notice after a while.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 1st Apr 18, 3:06 AM
    • 26,167 Posts
    • 94,971 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 1st Apr 18, 3:06 AM
    • 1st Apr 18, 3:06 AM
    It wouldn't be a priority for me to attempt painting something not designed to be painted, which is also intended to be transient in nature. That's just wasting time and money.

As you haven't moved into ther house yet, there's a high probability that other jobs will need doing before this one. After all, if this is a weird choice of decorative material, what other peculiar choices will the previous owners have made in less obvious places?

So, having knowingly bought a weirdly 'improved' house from strange people myself, I'd say just try to ignore the cladding; there will be plenty of other things to do!
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 1st Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 1st Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 1st Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    It!!!8217;s possible to paint upvc with the right primer but it!!!8217;s a laborious job to do properly. If I were you I wouldn!!!8217;t bother and just live with it for 18 months.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 1st Apr 18, 9:52 PM
    • 29,807 Posts
    • 76,394 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 1st Apr 18, 9:52 PM
    • 1st Apr 18, 9:52 PM
    We are buying a house which has horrendous upvc cladding on the walls in the kitchen. It looks dreadful.
    Originally posted by loveka
    If you're ripping it out in 18 months, I'd leave it as it is; you'll not even notice after a while.
    Originally posted by Grenage
    I second this - I thought the pink clouds wallpaper would have to go as soon as we moved in to this house but other stuff was more important and the clouds stayed for over a year - as Grenage says, we just stopped seeing them.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 2nd Apr 18, 10:36 AM
    • 4,587 Posts
    • 10,487 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 2nd Apr 18, 10:36 AM
    • 2nd Apr 18, 10:36 AM
    If it's going in the next two years, painting it will be a complete waste of time and money. Just live with it.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Clairabella
    • By Clairabella 2nd Apr 18, 1:54 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Clairabella
    • 2nd Apr 18, 1:54 PM
    • 2nd Apr 18, 1:54 PM
    I'd be more interested in knowing what the cladding was hiding!
    • loveka
    • By loveka 9th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    loveka
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    The cladding is part of a conservatory, so I think it was a style statement! It is on the wall which used to be the outside wall, and on the outside of an awful kitchen island.

We are renting it out as a holiday let, so we really do need to make it look a bit better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,500Users online

Martin's Twitter