Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 30th Mar 18, 1:22 AM
    • 23,826Posts
    • 155,291Thanks
    Aesop
    *Make upto 10 a day April 2018*
    • 30th Mar 18, 1:22 AM
    *Make upto 10 a day April 2018* 30th Mar 18 at 1:22 AM
    Hello and welcome everybody

This is the 128th month of this challenge, which was first started by Batgirl, in September 2007. A link here to the original thread as I am sure some of you are interested to read where it all began.

Thanks to Batgirl for starting it, lynnejk and ALL posters, for helping us to keep the thread going. Thanks to previous challengers who used to run this thread too, Rawdinosaur, Emmaglet, Nat21luv, Monkeynut, Sweetpeas, Purpleroses, JesaRose, MizMir.

I have decided to rename this challenge as reading posts, it seems to put people off thinking they HAVE TO make 10 a day.

You don't.

The original purpose of this challenge was to help people to try and make an extra 10 a day on top of their normal income to help things along. Ie paying off debt, making savings, paying for holidays, overpaying mortgages etc.

That is exactly what this challenge is about, attempting to make extra income on top of your normal income to help you wherever you need it.

People start the challenge by setting a goal of 1 a day. Then when they find they are smashing this regularly, they up it to 5 a day. Some of us gluttons for punishment go for 10 a day. It really is entirely upto you. We only ask you to post what your goal is to help you keep motivated. Some days you make more and some days you make less, but aim for extra at the end of the month.

The idea is that everyone posts how they are making extra money and these shared ideas help all of us to learn new ways to help cut debt or earn/save money.

What cannot be added:
    Wages from your main job

What can be added:
    Overtime
    Income from a second job
    Daily clicks
    Interest
    Vouchers
    Mystery shopping
    And much, much more.

This board moves pretty quickly, so be sure to subscribe and read it regularly.

Link to previous thread.

So who wants to kick 2018 into a financially working for you year?

Join this challenge and let's make those bank accounts fat, mortgages paid off, holidays paid off, savings account grow fatter, debts paid off and much much more!!!
    Last edited by Aesop; 01-05-2018 at 12:16 AM.
    Make 10 a day March 2018 40.38

January -
    February -

Page 9
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Apr 18, 9:41 AM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 27,603 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    It's very quiet on here these days. Lots of regulars and thread stalwarts like Aesop and Lynne haven't been around much. I know they both have major RL house-move stuff to cope with at the moment. I hope everyone is OK and things are working out well

Congratulations to everyone who has reported making money this month. Halfway through and I'm struggling a bit. Lots of cashback and survey payouts nearly possible but it's a hard slog and a waiting game.

The items I entered into a real auction last week all sold but as I expected there were no bidding wars. Won't receive the cheque until next month but will amount to about 187 after fees. Won't be counting it until I get it though.

I hope the sun shines on everyone sometime this weekend or at least the horrible mist and fog clears. It will be nice to get out and about a bit for a change
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 14-04-2018 at 9:52 AM.
    Original Debt: 56804 (@02/13). Now: 9129. Under 10K at long last.
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 14th Apr 18, 9:47 AM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 18,494 Thanks
    FrankieM
    Morning

I sent a box of books off to webuybooks yesterday. Should be about 20 but I won't be counting until it arrives.

I need to take a proper look round the boards for money making ideas. I'm still in the mind set that 'work' and 'overtime' are the way to get the extra money in but that means never really being at home so I need to find some alternatives.
    Pay off Debt by Christmas 2018 #59
    13,406.26/ 7,729.99
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    • henna123
    • By henna123 14th Apr 18, 4:00 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    henna123
    i am 'claiming' a 10 ecard for tesco today as I badgered hubby into signing up his life insurance accounts online that were not previously online, so no extra outgoings just a quick set up. I should thank him for not getting around to it earlier though as they didn't send any offers with it originally, also I do the shopping so it can go towards the dogs food we order from tesco!
    we used the restaurant voucher on holiday and had a lovely meal!

So I think thats 34/60 that i had planned for this month

P x
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 14th Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    • 5,265 Posts
    • 13,349 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    4.60 to add for tips from weds

2 Instagc

Going to a race night tonight so a little flutter may bring in a few pounds. I never seem to do any good at this sort of thing though.

All for a good cause......my two nieces ar going to Cambodia later in the year on a working holiday from school and night is to raise funds for expenses. Its soooo expensive!!
    Make 10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/163.14/Feb 116.10/March 5,060.77/April 160.28/May 124.83/Jun 236.71/July 183.73/Aug 152.11
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1162.77 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,09245,626
    • cufc_mike
    • By cufc_mike 14th Apr 18, 9:57 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    cufc_mike
    Evening all. Busy few days for me, but plenty of money made - trying to cut down my online time too, so only popping in here every few days at the moment.

An excellent 318.18 made through matched betting from Thurs/Fri/Sat.

Hope you're all having a nice weekend so far, fingers crossed for some good weather tomorrow!
    Make 500 May Challenge: 904.40 / 500 -> My Matched Betting Blog
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 15th Apr 18, 8:33 AM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 18,494 Thanks
    FrankieM
    I might need some matched betting tips cufc_mike. You seem to make a good amount!
    Pay off Debt by Christmas 2018 #59
    13,406.26/ 7,729.99
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    • Procrastination101
    • By Procrastination101 15th Apr 18, 11:43 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Procrastination101
    Matched betting terrifies me! I!!!8217;ve read the !!!8220;instructions!!!8221; a million times but I genuinely am the kind of person who!!!8217;d make a mistake!!

No extra pennies for me today so far. Will see what I can muster. Need to get the mystery shopping on the go!!
    20 a day in May 41/620 (previously 661/600)
    • A Random Man
    • By A Random Man 15th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 935 Thanks
    A Random Man
    Morning all sorry for lack of replies had not time to update the forum recently yesterday I made 29.87 from matched betting
    Total Debt 1st Jan 13100/11423.30 (12.79% Paid)
    Make 10 A Day In April (Matched Betting) 750/190.87
    Make 10 A Day In April (eBay) 300/1.85
    Payment A Day total: 444.19
    Halifax Credit Card, Tesco Credit Card, Barclaycard, Hitachi Loan
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 15th Apr 18, 12:22 PM
    • 23,826 Posts
    • 155,291 Thanks
    Aesop
    Morning all!!

Can we add 480 to my total today?? Not sure if it!!!8217;s actually ok to add...my sons dad has just randomly put 480 in the bank for backdated child support money. And committed to an extra 20 a week payment.
    Not going to count the weekly but I!!!8217;m counting the big payment, popping it over to the 16th birthday fund.
    Very nice surprise, let!!!8217;s see if young lad gets the 20 a week...he might stop bugging me for PlayStation games and takeaway !!!8220;cos there!!!8217;s nothing to eat in this house!!!8221;
    Originally posted by Procrastination101
    that's a relief for you. 80 a month can help a lot with growing boys with hollow legs...

yes go ahead and add it.

January -
    February -

• Aesop
    • By Aesop 15th Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    • 23,826 Posts
    • 155,291 Thanks
    Aesop
    I have a cashback from tcb still pending from March last year!
    Originally posted by shariann
    put a ticket into them

January -
    February -

• Aesop
    • By Aesop 15th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    • 23,826 Posts
    • 155,291 Thanks
    Aesop
    not really the place to ask but I am so fed up with our neighbours. Since they moved in last year, we have had nothing but continuous noise day and night, 7 days a week.

they have 3 children, one a baby, 2 school age primary kids. baby has been ill since they moved in but we sometimes feel the Mum deliberately lets the baby cry and cry. I have seen her at the front door talking to her friend and letting baby scream in the house.

so I wrote a note to them to ask them to consider the noise volume considering how thin the walls are and we cannot tolerate constant noise all the time. they had friends round and the kids were blowing whistles at 1am.

the father knocked and said the baby is ill, has 3 kids. but he goes to work. he said he would try to keep the noise down, didnt realise how thin the walls were.... yes we dont make loads noise.... so you probably don't realise.

It got better for a week but then went back to normal. I am sat here with the tv volume on 80, to make a point. I don't want the tv that loud and I do not like doing it. I did say if it continued I would report them to the council and his landlord.

any advice?

January -
    February -

• Aesop
    • By Aesop 15th Apr 18, 12:37 PM
    • 23,826 Posts
    • 155,291 Thanks
    Aesop
    apart from that, I have been busy since the wedding, recovering, washing, studying, working, etc. I know I have neglected you all again. I am sorry about that.

it is just not always convenient to sit with a laptop and I have tried posting off a tablet, but that doesn't seem to work very well either.

so will try to catch up 15 days.

January -
    February -

• shariann
    • By shariann 15th Apr 18, 2:36 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 5,412 Thanks
    shariann
    not really the place to ask but I am so fed up with our neighbours. Since they moved in last year, we have had nothing but continuous noise day and night, 7 days a week.

they have 3 children, one a baby, 2 school age primary kids. baby has been ill since they moved in but we sometimes feel the Mum deliberately lets the baby cry and cry. I have seen her at the front door talking to her friend and letting baby scream in the house.

so I wrote a note to them to ask them to consider the noise volume considering how thin the walls are and we cannot tolerate constant noise all the time. they had friends round and the kids were blowing whistles at 1am.

the father knocked and said the baby is ill, has 3 kids. but he goes to work. he said he would try to keep the noise down, didnt realise how thin the walls were.... yes we dont make loads noise.... so you probably don't realise.

It got better for a week but then went back to normal. I am sat here with the tv volume on 80, to make a point. I don't want the tv that loud and I do not like doing it. I did say if it continued I would report them to the council and his landlord.

any advice?
    Originally posted by Aesop
    Sounds like a nightmare Aesop.

Someone at work had a similar problem recently. It wasnt a family, just one guy with mental health issues playing loud music at all hours. I think he got environmental health or someone like that involved in the end. As he is also a single man he resorted to moving back in with his parents for a few weeks to get some sleep. Im back at work tomorrow so will ask him what he did. I think it has been sorted now so he may have some tips.

Good to see you. Is there any news on moving?
    10 a day August - 174.80/310
    2014 110.92 2015 3732.30 2016 1633.66 2017 2991.70
    2018 Jan 604.94 Feb 264.01 March 360.26April 282.29May 329.59 June 84.34July 253.30
    • shariann
    • By shariann 15th Apr 18, 2:38 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 5,412 Thanks
    shariann
    apart from that, I have been busy since the wedding, recovering, washing, studying, working, etc. I know I have neglected you all again. I am sorry about that.

it is just not always convenient to sit with a laptop and I have tried posting off a tablet, but that doesn't seem to work very well either.

so will try to catch up 15 days.
    Originally posted by Aesop
    No need to apologise. We all know how hectic life can be and yours sounds busier than most.
    10 a day August - 174.80/310
    2014 110.92 2015 3732.30 2016 1633.66 2017 2991.70
    2018 Jan 604.94 Feb 264.01 March 360.26April 282.29May 329.59 June 84.34July 253.30
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 15th Apr 18, 2:44 PM
    • 23,826 Posts
    • 155,291 Thanks
    Aesop
    Sounds like a nightmare Aesop.

Someone at work had a similar problem recently. It wasnt a family, just one guy with mental health issues playing loud music at all hours. I think he got environmental health or someone like that involved in the end. As he is also a single man he resorted to moving back in with his parents for a few weeks to get some sleep. Im back at work tomorrow so will ask him what he did. I think it has been sorted now so he may have some tips.

Good to see you. Is there any news on moving?
    Originally posted by shariann
    I think I am going to have to go environmental health and keep a diary.

the neighbour was not keen on me involving the council, he kept repeating you said you will go to the council. DH says to find out his landlady's number and tell her.

we haven't looked for anywhere yet because we need to raise money for the move.

January -
    February -

• Nicki_Sue
    • By Nicki_Sue 15th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 7,031 Thanks
    Nicki_Sue
    Aesop[/B];74164424]not really the place to ask but I am so fed up with our neighbours. Since they moved in last year, we have had nothing but continuous noise day and night, 7 days a week.
    by [B
    We moved into a new house last summer, from one end of the street to another. The previous house was fine, this one, paper thin walls. If the guy on one side of me closes a door too loudly the dogs the neighbour on the other side has part custody off barks for hours. I can hear their phone conversations (these are not new houses!) and honestly, it got to the stage where it was too much. We started looking to move. I work from home full time and was having to go elsewhere.

That said, with thin walls there isn't much you can do. We are finding it more tolerable not we're not obsessing over it (which is easy to do, every noise is a noise too much). Despite the crying on one side and screeching on the other we have got to a point where we can cope. Moving now would be foolhardy financially right now. Making the decision to put up with it has either coincided with them getting quieter, the walls suddenly thicker or my tolerance much higher.

I do really get it and sympathise though xx
    10 YEARS ON MSE!

AUGUST 10 A DAY: 60/310
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 15th Apr 18, 4:56 PM
    • 23,826 Posts
    • 155,291 Thanks
    Aesop
    We moved into a new house last summer, from one end of the street to another. The previous house was fine, this one, paper thin walls. If the guy on one side of me closes a door too loudly the dogs the neighbour on the other side has part custody off barks for hours. I can hear their phone conversations (these are not new houses!) and honestly, it got to the stage where it was too much. We started looking to move. I work from home full time and was having to go elsewhere.

That said, with thin walls there isn't much you can do. We are finding it more tolerable not we're not obsessing over it (which is easy to do, every noise is a noise too much). Despite the crying on one side and screeching on the other we have got to a point where we can cope. Moving now would be foolhardy financially right now. Making the decision to put up with it has either coincided with them getting quieter, the walls suddenly thicker or my tolerance much higher.

I do really get it and sympathise though xx
    Originally posted by Nicki_Sue
    Past lot of neighbours had three kids. Nowhere was the noise at this level.

When my client comes to the house. He is partially deaf. He can barely hear what i am saying to him. Yet he can clearly hear the baby next door crying for 20 mins. He asked me if she was being abused. I don't think she is. But for a nearly deaf man to ask is concerning.

I am fantastic at compartmentalising and I can ignore most noise and tune it out. This is ridiculous though. Non stop.

You can't relax and just enjoy being in your room. It's also affecting the mental health of my DH and DS.

January -
    February -

• Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 15th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    • 5,265 Posts
    • 13,349 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Can you record the noise Aesop?

I think if you go down the environmental route, its good to keep a diary.

What about their neighbours the other side? Can you see if they are having same problem and get together to do something about it?

You have my sincere sympathies.

Years and years ago (I was about 10/11) we lived on a new council estate and we were very happy there till a drunk moved in next door. He would play Roy Orbison at all hours of the night and day, loud enough for us to hear it and then he would be up early hours smashing his bottles that he had drunk.

I can vividly remember my mam sitting on the stairs crying and saying she couldnt cope with it anymore.

It did my mam and dad a favour really as they started looking for somewhere to buy rather than rent and the next year we moved.

Crazy looking back that a semi detached house was 8,500
    Make 10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/163.14/Feb 116.10/March 5,060.77/April 160.28/May 124.83/Jun 236.71/July 183.73/Aug 152.11
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1162.77 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,09245,626
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 15th Apr 18, 5:37 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,477 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Hi all. Baby is getting better every day and hopefully can go back to nursery on Tuesday after his next appointment tomorrow. I still haven't done a full week of work despite being full time..oops..

As baby just wants to cuddle me when he is ill, it means I have had a lot of sitting and lying around whilst he is sleeping. Not sure where I have got to in my posts, so this is everything this month:
    Cashback 3.76
    Citizenme 0.10
    Interest 1
    MB 253.66

I have decided to cash out any survey sites on 1 May, so nothing much of these in here this month.
    Make up to 10 a day challenge: May 87.45/310, April 488.20/50 (Mar 754.90, Feb 519.52, Jan 608.10
    , 2017 Jul - Nov: 2,689.44)
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 15th Apr 18, 5:39 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,477 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Aesop - not sure I will be much help, but I do sympathise. I used to live in a flat and the noise and general scariness from the woman downstairs (she had some severe mental health problems and really needed some help) got to the stage where we left one night at midnight and went to a hotel for 10 days before renting somewhere else as we just couldn't take it anymore.

When we bought we checked out neighbours etc and saved for a detached house.
    Make up to 10 a day challenge: May 87.45/310, April 488.20/50 (Mar 754.90, Feb 519.52, Jan 608.10
    , 2017 Jul - Nov: 2,689.44)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

453Posts Today

7,202Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin