Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aesop
    • By Aesop 30th Mar 18, 1:22 AM
    • 23,798Posts
    • 155,147Thanks
    Aesop
    *Make upto 10 a day April 2018*
    • 30th Mar 18, 1:22 AM
    *Make upto 10 a day April 2018* 30th Mar 18 at 1:22 AM
    Hello and welcome everybody

This is the 128th month of this challenge, which was first started by Batgirl, in September 2007. A link here to the original thread as I am sure some of you are interested to read where it all began.

Thanks to Batgirl for starting it, lynnejk and ALL posters, for helping us to keep the thread going. Thanks to previous challengers who used to run this thread too, Rawdinosaur, Emmaglet, Nat21luv, Monkeynut, Sweetpeas, Purpleroses, JesaRose, MizMir.

I have decided to rename this challenge as reading posts, it seems to put people off thinking they HAVE TO make 10 a day.

You don't.

The original purpose of this challenge was to help people to try and make an extra 10 a day on top of their normal income to help things along. Ie paying off debt, making savings, paying for holidays, overpaying mortgages etc.

That is exactly what this challenge is about, attempting to make extra income on top of your normal income to help you wherever you need it.

People start the challenge by setting a goal of 1 a day. Then when they find they are smashing this regularly, they up it to 5 a day. Some of us gluttons for punishment go for 10 a day. It really is entirely upto you. We only ask you to post what your goal is to help you keep motivated. Some days you make more and some days you make less, but aim for extra at the end of the month.

The idea is that everyone posts how they are making extra money and these shared ideas help all of us to learn new ways to help cut debt or earn/save money.

What cannot be added:
    Wages from your main job

What can be added:
    Overtime
    Income from a second job
    Daily clicks
    Interest
    Vouchers
    Mystery shopping
    And much, much more.

This board moves pretty quickly, so be sure to subscribe and read it regularly.

Link to previous thread.

So who wants to kick 2018 into a financially working for you year?

Join this challenge and let's make those bank accounts fat, mortgages paid off, holidays paid off, savings account grow fatter, debts paid off and much much more!!!
    Last edited by Aesop; 01-05-2018 at 12:16 AM.
    Make 10 a day March 2018 40.38

January -
    February -

Page 10
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 15th Apr 18, 5:47 PM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 12,940 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Matched betting terrifies me! I!!!8217;ve read the !!!8220;instructions!!!8221; a million times but I genuinely am the kind of person who!!!8217;d make a mistake!!
    Originally posted by Procrastination101
    I'm exactly the same. I spent quite a few hours reading up on it and with the help of Mike I was ready to have a go but life got busy and I got nervous. I dont use betting sites and would hate to get it wrong.

I havent ruled it out completely and when life calms down again I may take another look.
    Make 10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/163.14/Feb 116.10/March 5,060.77/April 160.28/May 124.83
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...679.74 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,092
    • Nicki_Sue
    • By Nicki_Sue 15th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,167 Posts
    • 6,952 Thanks
    Nicki_Sue
    Past lot of neighbours had three kids. Nowhere was the noise at this level.

When my client comes to the house. He is partially deaf. He can barely hear what i am saying to him. Yet he can clearly hear the baby next door crying for 20 mins. He asked me if she was being abused. I don't think she is. But for a nearly deaf man to ask is concerning.

I am fantastic at compartmentalising and I can ignore most noise and tune it out. This is ridiculous though. Non stop.

You can't relax and just enjoy being in your room. It's also affecting the mental health of my DH and DS.
    Originally posted by Aesop
    THAT noisy?! I agree then, something needs to be done. A difficult one but agree, speak to either the council or perhaps environmental health. If it's that bad there has to be something you can do, or rather something someone else can do.
    10 YEARS ON MSE!
    2018 - The Year of The Savings
    APRIL 10 A DAY: 50.30/300
    • jools1985
    • By jools1985 15th Apr 18, 10:26 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    jools1985
    3.23 cashed out at Topcashback for me today. All daily clicks on Skyscanner or Booking Buddy.
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 16th Apr 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 23,345 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Sending love and hugs to Aesop and anyone else who would like or needs one.

Not much happening here this month, just a small Ebay sale to add 6.19 after fees/postage.

Keep up the great work everyone
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make 5 per day in Jan 18: 491.91/155 Make 5 per day in Feb 18: 51.40/140 Make 5 per day in Mar 18: 150.36/155 Make 5 per day in Apr 18: 93.25/3150 Make 5 per day in May 18: 8/155
    • cufc_mike
    • By cufc_mike 17th Apr 18, 12:18 AM
    • 583 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    cufc_mike
    I might need some matched betting tips cufc_mike. You seem to make a good amount!
    Originally posted by FrankieM
    Feel free to drop me a PM - would be happy to help if I can Did start doing a blog...I'm hopeless at blogs, so it didn't last long. I'll update it every once in a while no doubt, but it's not an ongoing thing:
    https://matchedbettormike.weebly.com/blog

Matched betting terrifies me! I!!!8217;ve read the !!!8220;instructions!!!8221; a million times but I genuinely am the kind of person who!!!8217;d make a mistake!!
    Originally posted by Procrastination101
    I can understand why it might terrify. I am used to gambling and would take about 5 minutes per bet when I first started matched betting, so I can fully understand why it might take some people 15-20 minutes double checking everything. I now spend about 1 minute max putting a bet on. It does get easier over time, and you don't need any sport/betting knowledge. So long as you are relatively good with numbers and can follow instructions, you really can't go wrong.

Happy to help anybody who wants to dip their toes. The site I use offers a free trial for a few days.

Side note: - anybody else having issues with random characters appearing instead of special characters like the apostrophe?

My Sunday/Monday MB'ing total is 56.11.
    Make 500 May Challenge: 738.36 / 500 -> My Matched Betting Blog
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 17th Apr 18, 8:53 AM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 12,940 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Tips from Saturday and yesterday.......13.50.

Also got another 1 amazon from instagc. Seems I have earnt enough on there now to unlock the paypal payment feature.

This only pays in $ but is quicker to reach target.

Thinking of using my payments to start putting towards my overpayment of the mortgage pot. Not paying anything off till I have at least 500 as it then brings the monthly payment down. I know this doesnt knock any time off the mortgage but with me soon dropping a day at work, less outgoings are more important to me at the moment.

I am going to put my mortgage total in my signature to keep me motivated.

I have 7 years left but am hoping I can knock this down to 5.
    Make 10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/163.14/Feb 116.10/March 5,060.77/April 160.28/May 124.83
    Mortgage...47,07046,092
    • MrsCautious
    • By MrsCautious 17th Apr 18, 11:37 AM
    • 1,113 Posts
    • 13,296 Thanks
    MrsCautious
    Hello everyone - I'd like to join in this month please, and as I have already done it, I'd like to say a target of 20 a day (if that makes sense!) I was last here in November last year. So I have been working on getting extra money in this month and this is what I have got so far:

1.06 - Qmee pay out
    28 - TopCashback
    6 facebook sales
    1.11 - roadkill!
    48 car boot sale last Sunday.
    481 payout from bank after a complaint from me of mistreatment after bereavement
    300 payout from 2nd bank after complaint from me re mistreatment in aftermath of bereavement.

The above 2 complaints were in part inspired by Aesop who I think I remember made a claim about a bank sending someone else's letter by mistake and an amount was due in connection with data protection? Both my complaints included (but weren't only about) receiving correspondence in the name of my best friend/business partner who had died some months ago.

I have just a couple of things listed on eBay and hope to add more next month when I have time.

Total so far for April: 862.17
    Last edited by MrsCautious; 17-04-2018 at 10:27 PM.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 17th Apr 18, 3:07 PM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 26,832 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Good for you doing a car boot sale, Mrs Cautious. I've chickened out so far this season because the weather has been so cold and wet. The one I like best and find the most profitable is held on a sloping field. The pitch is relatively flat but getting to it across the field definitely isn't. The approach is like a quagmire in bad weather. I remember one week when a local farmer was pulling sellers' fully-laden cars up the slope with a tractor

I've bitten the bullet and decided I can't dilly dally any longer and am all set to do my first of the year on Sunday. Have spent most of yesterday and this morning grovelling in the sheds finding suitable stuff to sell and clearing the cobwebs and dust from a winter of storage.

All I have to add to my total since I last posted is:
    • 10 More vouchers at Morrisons
    • 2.71 divi spent at Co-op
    • 5 lodged in a hedgerow down an isolated footpath
    • 6.33 from 2 books sold on Amazon

That adds up to a welcome 24.04 but it doesn't take me anywhere near my total this month. Let's hope the sun shines for the car boot on Sunday and brings the buyers out in force
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-Apr: 757.05+. May: 1230.95

Original Debt: 56804 (@02/13). Now: 9998
    . Under 10K at long last.
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 17th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,469 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Tips from Saturday and yesterday.......13.50.

Also got another 1 amazon from instagc. Seems I have earnt enough on there now to unlock the paypal payment feature.

This only pays in $ but is quicker to reach target.

Thinking of using my payments to start putting towards my overpayment of the mortgage pot. Not paying anything off till I have at least 500 as it then brings the monthly payment down. I know this doesnt knock any time off the mortgage but with me soon dropping a day at work, less outgoings are more important to me at the moment.

Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    We are definitely following the same lines... I want to go part time and also pay down the mortgage!

I am struggling to get on with instagc - any tips? Do you just play the videos? I find each time I play them they just stop quite soon so I never make much unless I keep checking it all the time. Maybe it's just me... I put my efforts into Swagbucks instead at the moment.
    Make up to 10 a day challenge: May 87.45/310, April 488.20/50 (Mar 754.90, Feb 519.52, Jan 608.10
    , 2017 Jul - Nov: 2,689.44)
    • QueenJess
    • By QueenJess 17th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,469 Thanks
    QueenJess
    Not too much going on here - just made another 40 or so MB. Am trying to pick up my different survey sites again and do bits and pieces on them all, but am saving cashing out until 1 May.

Trying to get back to some sort of normality... baby is back to nursery and I am back to full time work and the usual of trying to figure out how to pack everything into my life.
    Make up to 10 a day challenge: May 87.45/310, April 488.20/50 (Mar 754.90, Feb 519.52, Jan 608.10
    , 2017 Jul - Nov: 2,689.44)
    • A Random Man
    • By A Random Man 17th Apr 18, 9:50 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 935 Thanks
    A Random Man
    Evening everyone haven't had that much time recently to make money but yesterday I made 15.12 and today 21.48
    Total Debt 1st Jan 13100/11423.30 (12.79% Paid)
    Make 10 A Day In April (Matched Betting) 750/190.87
    Make 10 A Day In April (eBay) 300/1.85
    Payment A Day total: 444.19
    Halifax Credit Card, Tesco Credit Card, Barclaycard, Hitachi Loan
    • cufc_mike
    • By cufc_mike 17th Apr 18, 10:55 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    cufc_mike

Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    Good luck with this KM! I've been doing this since December 2017. I split my daily earnings 2 ways now (used to be 3), with 50% paying off a mortgage, and 50% going into savings to pay for things like holidays/birthdays/days out etc, general things to better our lifestyle.

We own a flat that my late mother in law owned. She had no mortgage on it, but when she died she left it to my wife and her 2 brothers. They both wanted their share of the property in cash, but there was a private long-term tenant, so we looked upon it as an investment for the future, and ended up taking out a mortgage on it, albeit relatively small. I've knocked 19 months off the length of the mortgage since December. It's such a huge motivation to keep going. I can only pay another 600-700 off before August; however we're due to re-mortgage at that time anyway.

I've been making daily overpayments because I'm not very disciplined. If I tried to save 500 and then make a one-off payment, I'd probably end up spending it on something else
    Last edited by cufc_mike; 17-04-2018 at 11:03 PM.
    • cufc_mike
    • By cufc_mike 17th Apr 18, 10:58 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    cufc_mike
    52.30 for me today through matched betting. I also forgot about 20 worth of winnings (profit after deducting cost of entry) from our work grand national sweepstake. I pulled out Tiger Roll and Total Recall (1st & 2nd favourite at the time),much to the dismay of the rest of the office. Not that it usually makes a difference with the grand national, as it's very much a lottery. Made a change to win a sweepstake, not something that usually happens to me

My total today: 72.30
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 18th Apr 18, 8:05 AM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 12,940 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Well done on your sweepstake win Mike!

Im really really commited to getting the mortgage paid off ASAP as I know it will leave us so much better off for the fun things in life but I have a OH who likes spending money on the fun things now!

It would be better for me to pay off as and when i get the money as OH couldnt get his hands on it but with me wanting to initially reduce outgoings, I am having to be scrooge like and stash it somewhere it doesnt give him ideas about.

We also have a rental property which is a five minute walk from where I work. If my second child ever decides to fly the nest (shes coming up 23) we have considered moving to this property as it has a much better living layout for us (despite being a smaller house) and would be much cheaper to run.

It was bought as an investment for retirement but gives us options for the future.

Had my first payout in paypal from insta. 0.62p but as they say. Every little helps.

7 tips as well.
    Mortgage...47,07046,092
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 18th Apr 18, 8:13 AM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 26,832 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    52.30 for me today through matched betting. I also forgot about 20 worth of winnings (profit after deducting cost of entry) from our work grand national sweepstake. I pulled out Tiger Roll and Total Recall (1st & 2nd favourite at the time),much to the dismay of the rest of the office. Not that it usually makes a difference with the grand national, as it's very much a lottery. Made a change to win a sweepstake, not something that usually happens to me

My total today: 72.30
    Originally posted by cufc_mike
    Well done!

I love a sweepstake but haven't been involved in one since I retired. In one of the companies I worked for one of the senior partners ( a really venerable old gentleman looking like a character from Dickens) came into the staff room one day with the page from The Sun newspaper with the chart that was designed to be used for sweepstakes and pinned it on the noticeboard. He barely spoke to the rest of us in normal circumstances (first time I'd ever seen him in the staffroom) and he left his secretary to take people's money, oversee the drawing of horses and fill in names on the chart. I always wondered afterwards if he was a regular Sun reader or liked a flutter. I saw him in a whole new light after that

That was a good year for me, I drew Red Rum the first year he won
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 18-04-2018 at 8:32 AM.

• shariann
    • By shariann 18th Apr 18, 5:54 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 4,871 Thanks
    shariann
    Evening everyone

I was hot, tired and grumpy when I got in from work today! I!!!8217;m certainly not complaining about the sunshine though but I wasn!!!8217;t prepared for it and cooked in the car on my way home.

Have had a shower to freshen up and I thought it might wake me up a bit too as I have got all out of sync with my sleep pattern and keep dozing off early evening and then waking up at bedtime.
    10 a day May - 242.73/310
    2014 110.92 2015 3732.30 2016 1633.66 2017 2991.70
    2018 Jan 604.94 Feb 264.01 March 360.26April 282.29
    • shariann
    • By shariann 18th Apr 18, 6:06 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 4,871 Thanks
    shariann
    Aesop

I spoke to the guy at work about his noisy neighbour and he said the following.

Environmental health will ask you to talk to them first- i know you have done that.

Keep a diary, usually for two weeks.

Contact your landlord to see if they will help

Apparently once they have been warned if it happens again EH will prosecute without further notice.

Not sure how useful this is but really hope you get it sorted.
    10 a day May - 242.73/310
    2014 110.92 2015 3732.30 2016 1633.66 2017 2991.70
    2018 Jan 604.94 Feb 264.01 March 360.26April 282.29
    • hummingbird
    • By hummingbird 18th Apr 18, 8:51 PM
    • 1,488 Posts
    • 7,406 Thanks
    hummingbird
    So far this month - 32.00 interest and no withdraw bonus and 38.00 winnings - 70 tot.
    10 a day extra in May '18[B[B]]35/310[
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 500/2500 = 20%
    You can find my diary here:http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5189836
    • MrsCautious
    • By MrsCautious 19th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    • 1,113 Posts
    • 13,296 Thanks
    MrsCautious
    Added another facebook sale at 3 and a 50 Christmas present cheque I only paid in yesterday.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 19th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • 4,730 Posts
    • 26,832 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Well done everyone who has made any money. I don't know why but this month seems like hard work, I'm not doing very well at all on the money making front

11.92 from Quidco & TCB is all I've got to add

I'm keeping everything crossed for the good weather to carry on over the weekend and that my car boot sale on Sunday brings me in loadsamoney. Still unearthing, cleaning and polishing stuff to sell. Will I ever be free of all this junk and live the minimalist life I crave?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,354Posts Today

6,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin