Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CommyTooper
    • By CommyTooper 29th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 72Thanks
    CommyTooper
    Menage savings
    • 29th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    Menage savings 29th Mar 18 at 10:20 PM
    My son is down from Scotland with grandchildren for the holidays. He asked if ĎMenageí savings schemes are safe.
    Never heard of them before, and after some time on Yahoo, I didnít feel like going yahoo.

Long question short, am I correct with my conclusion that they donít sound financially safe?
    Thanks.
Page 1
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 29th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    • 2,514 Posts
    • 2,448 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 29th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    • 29th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    Never heard of it before, but just googled it. Sounds like a terrible idea! No security whatsoever and no obvious benefit either.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 29th Mar 18, 10:31 PM
    • 10,157 Posts
    • 11,427 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 29th Mar 18, 10:31 PM
    • 29th Mar 18, 10:31 PM
    Give your son a slap and tell him not to be an idjut.
    • CommyTooper
    • By CommyTooper 29th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    CommyTooper
    • 29th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 29th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    Give your son a slap and tell him not to be an idjut.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Oh, but I love him dearly.
    I was warned that the first eighteen years were always going to be expensive. But nobody made it clear that the second eighteen would bankrupt me!
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 29th Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    • 26,124 Posts
    • 15,483 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 29th Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    • 29th Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    Safe?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/savings-club-mum-flees-with-100000-1065422

Possibly not.....
    • CommyTooper
    • By CommyTooper 13th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    CommyTooper
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    Show me the honey
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    That is not a typo.
    On the return flight to Scotland, the scanner people at the airport pulled my son to one side. Did you pack the bag, anything you want to say, etc., etc., etc.,

Then they dug into the offending backpack. And produced a jar of honey. And confiscated it.

My grandaughter was really upset, she knew all about bees making honey, and she had fallen in love with our local village honeymakers product, and I bought her a jar to take home.

A jar of honey, I ask you. Funny it was not.
    Totally off topic, but at least my son did not buy into menage savings.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 13th Apr 18, 6:11 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:11 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:11 PM
    That is not a typo.
    On the return flight to Scotland, the scanner people at the airport pulled my son to one side. Did you pack the bag, anything you want to say, etc., etc., etc.,

Then they dug into the offending backpack. And produced a jar of honey. And confiscated it.

My grandaughter was really upset, she knew all about bees making honey, and she had fallen in love with our local village honeymakers product, and I bought her a jar to take home.

Originally posted by CommyTooper
    Honey is a liquid for the airport security purposes. Better let Royal Mail to get it there...
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 13th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,375 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    Honey is a liquid for the airport security purposes. Better let Royal Mail to get it there...
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    I transfer all my Honey into 100ml containers before security.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 14th Apr 18, 12:27 AM
    • 7,864 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 14th Apr 18, 12:27 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 12:27 AM
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    ....or FlyBee perhaps?
    • mapk
    • By mapk 14th Apr 18, 4:45 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    mapk
    ....or FlyBee perhaps?
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    ..Bee, Eh?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Apr 18, 7:36 AM
    • 10,157 Posts
    • 11,427 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    That is not a typo.

Originally posted by CommyTooper
    A few years ago at Heathrow the Japanese couple just to the side of me were having several bottles of jam confiscated from their carry on at security.

It's fine in hold luggage BTW.

I thought you were going to say that the officers were trying to confiscate his menage documents in the same way some TSA officers in the states were searching someone's carry on for bit coins a few years back.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Apr 18, 4:47 PM
    • 44,984 Posts
    • 53,600 Thanks
    G_M
    Good thing you hadn't given him one of these for his birthday...

• bearshare
    • By bearshare 14th Apr 18, 8:26 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    bearshare
    This thread was a lot less interesting than I thought it might be from the title.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

7,028Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin