Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 29th Mar 18, 4:42 PM
    • 266Posts
    • 109Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Post Office and BT cut landline-only bills
    • 29th Mar 18, 4:42 PM
    MSE News: Post Office and BT cut landline-only bills 29th Mar 18 at 4:42 PM
    The Post Office has agreed to cut landline-only customers' bills by more than £65 a year from May, just days before BT cuts almost a million customers' bills...
    Read the full story:
    'Post Office and BT cut landline-only bills'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 2
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 4th Apr 18, 1:36 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    iniltous
    I have been offered the cheaper line rental price by the Post Office despite having my broadband with another provider. Could this be because the Post Office will not supply broadband from my exchange? As it is classed as a small exchange BT/Openreach are allowed to charge more to other broadband providers than they do for larger exchanges. It is about time Ofcom stopped differential pricing.

The annoying thing is that I was told that I had to have paper bills and I will be charged £13 per month. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I wanted to put this on the Have Your Say section after the article about this, but I was asked to sign in to Facebook. I have not got and will never get a Facebook account and it is about time Money Savings Expert did not use Facebook for this section.
    Originally posted by SteveB
    The Post Office line rental reduction for phone only customers is voluntary, but seems odd to offer it to you if you have told them you have broadband , not just with the PO
    You are wrong, OR charge everyone the same for a local loop, BT wholesale do not have differential pricing, if there is a variation it's down to the retailer you chose.... if the Post Office ( who use Talk Talk ) had a customer in an exchange that had TT 'equipment' they may charge that PO customer less than another PO customer in an exchange where TT didn't have a presence, but that's the PO choice , If you want cheaper PO/TT , then TT need to be in that exchange, that's not BTW giving them access , that's TT deciding it's doesn't make sense financially to put their kit in that exchange , ...what you seem want is for Ofcom to interfere in the market and make TT wholesale and BT a Wholesale the same price, but if they are made to be the same price , why have two ?,
    Last edited by iniltous; 04-04-2018 at 1:39 PM.
    • Bashworth
    • By Bashworth 4th Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bashworth
    Post office landline
    My mum has just paid for her land line for twelve months. Will she get a refund.
    • Bobbymax
    • By Bobbymax 7th Apr 18, 6:17 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Bobbymax
    Post Office Landline
    My mum has just paid for her land line for twelve months. Will she get a refund.
    Originally posted by Bashworth
    Don't count on it. I've just switched my elderly mother to landline only at the Post Office so rang an advisor to see if she qualified for the price cut - apparently not. No reason given, he just said no and rang off. Not great PR by any stretch of the imagination.
    • SteveB
    • By SteveB 12th Apr 18, 12:46 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    SteveB
    iniltous, it is some years ago that I found that Openreach charged more for small exchanges, thanks for letting me know that they donít now. I now presume the reason that PO wonít supply me with broadband is that TT doesnít have their equipment in my exchange. I havenít told them that I have broadband with another ISP. Either they donít know or as they will not provide me with broadband, I am still offered the reduction.

Bashworth, I paid for the PO line saver and the letter they sent me says that I will get a refund of the unused portion on my first monthly bill.

Bobbymax, I would write to the PO and ask for a reason why your mother canít get the cheaper line rental.
    • mark31
    • By mark31 25th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mark31
    Post Office landline
    I understand the price reduction is a result of Ofcom ruling that BT, who provide landlines, must reduce charges as they have been overcharging customers who have a landline only. They tend to be older and more likely to have had the line for many years.

The Post Office have cynically decided to bury the good news that the service that I buy from them (basic line rental) is reducing quite substantially to £11.50 a month, by placing the information well after telling me that they are upgrading my package to include "Unlimited Broadband" at "no extra charge". Apparently I "don't need to do anything". It's even up to me if "I don't want to use it". After all this, hafway down the page I find about about the "new Home Phone Package" that I can ring up to opt-in. Yes that's right- its the package I'm currently on now with a reduced price.

I believe the people Ofcom are trying to help, will be confused by this deliberately ploy and may end up paying over the odds yet again. When I rang up they also told me that they could't register me for paperless billing (to get the £11.50 price) until the switch-over so I have to make sure I go online after the 1st May to register.

I think Ofcom should look at this shady practice if they are serious about looking after the vulnerable.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,367Users online

Martin's Twitter