Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spare one
    • By spare one 29th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 9Thanks
    spare one
    Open account online without going into branch
    • 29th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    Open account online without going into branch 29th Mar 18 at 4:37 PM
    Hi everyone

Which bank will let me open a current account online without having to go down to the branch to show ID? (I don't need overdraft allowance if that makes any difference).

I know 3 people who opened a Nationwide current account recently. Two did not have to go down to the branch, and one did. I called customer service twice. One guy told me that it depends if your in the voter registry, but that's rubbish because that person who had to go down was also in the voter registry. The next guy told me everyone has to come to a branch for ID, which is obviously also not true.

I spoke to Lloyds and the customer rep told me it depends on my credit rating. That doesn't make too much sense to me - what has confirming your ID got to with your credit rating?

Anyone with any info on this?
    Don't spend time saving less money than you could earn in that time on minimum wage...
Page 2
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 3rd Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Correct:
    Any financial group might possibly require sight of copies of your ID documents and usually originals of some address ID such as credit card/bank statements: if required to do so the acceptable address ID document types would be listed by the bank etc

The copies of any personal ID (usually a passport) will have to be certified signed as verified by some 'authority' that they are indeed true copies of the original which they have seen.
    The financial groups all have differing requirements as to whom is permitted to certify such a copy.
    Most usually it is someone who is themselves FCA authorized so are traceable via their authorization register number if the serious fraud office should come calling - eg solicitors, bank staff etc.
    Originally posted by Uxb
    They won't necessarily ask for certified copies. Some are more than happy to just see copies, and some are just as happy to rely on online checks.
    • silver88
    • By silver88 10th Apr 18, 11:54 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    silver88
    Similar to monzo and starling, I've recently opened 'u account' and they seem pretty good. I had to fill out an online application form on their website that asked for my name, DOB, address, etc. and I got an account instantly. I've got a debit card with my account so I can use it in shops and for online shopping.

They also have some good in build tools to track your spending, set-up direct debits, and pots to save money for christmas, holiday, etc. They don't offer overdraft so it's easy to control your spending each month/week.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 10th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 1,372 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    I would have thought it would be easier for the OP to actually go in to a branch by now maybe?
    • Fan Of 2018
    • By Fan Of 2018 10th Apr 18, 5:05 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Fan Of 2018
    I just opened a second current account with lloyds, and they asked to show ID in a branch even though I already had an account with them.

They told me I have to come within 14 days or the application will expire. If I don't do that, does anyone know if the fact that they didn't open an account for me can affect my credit rating?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,250Users online

Martin's Twitter