Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 28th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    • 2,962Posts
    • 21,008Thanks
    misstara
    NST April 2018: April Fool's Challenge
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    NST April 2018: April Fool's Challenge 28th Mar 18 at 10:20 PM
    Welcome to NST April 2018, the April Fool's challenge.

Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Usual exceptions apply, you won't lose a NSD for ys items, petrol or medical expenses.
    Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest.
    Report in every day. The daily support from this thread will keep you on track
    Interests - is there any hobbies that you'd like to take up or perhaps an old hobby that you'd like to start again. This is the month to do it, let us know what you plan to do
    Love yourself, do something to make yourself feel fab - wear a bright scarf, get your eyebrows done, have a bath, put on your fave perfume.

Find time to get outside. Lighter nights are now here so get out in the garden, go for a walk. Fresh air is good for everyone
    Overpay - aim to pay 20% extra to your debt or savings. It's up to you how you do this - overtime at work, saving money on the food bill, selling items.
    Organise your month. Check your cupboards, make a meal plan and stick to your food budget. Plan any social events and budget for them, ideally come up with free alternatives.
    Lose one bad habit. Mine's is a food related one but it can be anything you like.
    Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes.

So that's the challenge, who's up for it?
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £455.62 (80.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £755.40 (5.3% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 12/60
    Emergency fund - £7/£1000. Car fund - £20/£1000.
    Mini Targets in December
    Exercise target - 6/16. Groceries target £103.93/£220. NSD target 9/15.
Page 17
    • misstara
    • By misstara 13th Apr 18, 11:37 PM
    • 2,962 Posts
    • 21,008 Thanks
    misstara
    NSDs - 7/15, was a spend day today. Did the weekly shop plus bought some clothes from the charity shop and anti-blister socks
    Report - 13/30
    Interests - no walks
    Love - spent a relaxing afternoon reading
    Outside - wandered around town in and out of charity
    Overpay - £2.55 paid to the debt
    Organise - meal plan done for next week
    Bad habit - no crisps
    Gratitudes - a lie in, spending time with OH, my dad and my gran, yummy steak pie for tea and a good book
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £755.40 (5.3% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 12/60
    Mini Targets in December
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 14th Apr 18, 7:28 AM
    • 2,754 Posts
    • 26,444 Thanks
    Fmess
    Morning all,

Sorry for my absence, parents evening on Thursday and just too tired last night. SFD number 9 on Thursday but not yesterday as treated friends to a coffee after their stressful week.

Today will be swimming and dog walking and then the cinema which I haven’t been to for years. It also has no rain forecast for the first time all week, yay!!!!
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 14th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    • 2,124 Posts
    • 19,524 Thanks
    FrankieM
    Morning

I'm discovering that I fight against the accountability of having to say what I'm going to do for a month and then giving daily updates. I must do better.

9 NSD
    Off and on meditation
    I'm not managing to get outside but the sun is currently shining so I'm hoping it stays that way
    Pay off Debt by Christmas 2018 #59
    £13,406.26/ £3,500.00
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 14th Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 17,152 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today is still NSD 8
    Went and did the supermarket shopping list this morning, will do the market in 10 mins. Get it all ready and will bake tomorrow.
    Pollen horrid.
    Sun shining.
    Birds singing.

ETA: Fruitbowl looks majestic!
    Last edited by f0xh0les; 14-04-2018 at 4:46 PM.
    MFW STARTMay 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,49Dec17 £108,80Jan 18 £108,39 Mar18 £108,50 Apr£108,10May£106,99Jun105,99.Jul105,30 Aug£103,99 Sep£102,999 Oct£101,999 Nov£101,300
    £100, 896.17 sub £100k by 2019Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    Referal code- https://doblotto.com/r/1f87a3
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 14th Apr 18, 7:50 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 25,409 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    A - 8/15 Was a spend day.
    R - Done.
    I - Did wordsearch
    L - Had a lovely relaxing bath with the bath bomb I brought from Lu$h.
    F - Walked to and from bus stop to my Dad's house which is about 10 minutes each way. Went there today to get meter readings for gas and electric. Also walked part way to GP, but walked home from there in the park. Also walked around a shopping centre with friend and her brother.
    O - Done.
    O - Still ongoing.
    L - Ok with social media today.
    S - Grateful for:
    Support from my brother.
    Hairdresser coming round to flat to cut my hair.
    Saving money when buying treats in M&S.
    Went to the ward that my Mum was in and coped. Went with friend and her brother to visit their Mum who is in hospital.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December 2018 – Exterminate the debt! NSD 9/15
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 14th Apr 18, 8:14 PM
    • 8,057 Posts
    • 61,499 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Oh Kerry Woman - that must have been hard to do, to go back to the ward. Well done you.

Today I am grateful for bonfires and marshmallows, for such a lovely sunny warm day, for time with dd, for the library,for my drumstick knitting actually working, for a good rootle through my stash of crafting magazines and books, for cutting out 2 robin doorstops and a moose.
    NST December in the TARDIS #1; NSD 6/15; Shlder Ex 6/21 ; craft 2(261); remove (669)
    2018 Pay off: £4641; 2
    018 sell £98.10; WLOSW 3/10

Mortgage £18,634 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 14th Apr 18, 8:27 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 4,462 Thanks
    lcc86
    Today wasn't a NSD. Went swimming this morning, which I really enjoyed, although my back is a bit sore now. Overall glad I can get back into it as I've missed it over the years. Did some chores, got a couple of batches of slow cooker food done, and did some studying. Just been to see my sister and my niece for a few hours with OH, she cooked us dinner.

Today I'm grateful for sunshine! And for all the horses coming home safely during the National (not a fan of that race but my sister made me watch it!).
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    £220/£1000 EF £361 saved for household jobs
    Debt free and in the black for the first time in 11 years
    • Puddleglum
    • By Puddleglum 14th Apr 18, 9:06 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    Puddleglum
    Aim for at least 15 NSDs. 6/15 and looking ahead should be able to get the full 15 in in the month.

Pay to your debt or savings first Keeping up with the penny a day challenge.

Report in every day. hello! Oops.

Interests - Have everything ready to go for the online course.

Love yourself Getting better at remembering the face cream. Perfume every day.

Find time to get outside. Gardening yesterday and a good walk today.

Overpay Wip.

Organise your month done

Lose one bad habit. Trying!

Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes.
    Grateful for having a job to go to even though I'm not looking forward to going back to work on Monday.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

Pay off debts and save 2018. Time to turn my life around (candle moment).
    • CosmicZebra
    • By CosmicZebra 14th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    CosmicZebra
    Another spend day- £37 on some fabric and bits.
    No alcohol again. 6 days now.
    Grateful for sunshine and a garden to enjoy it in.
    Savings from frugal & simple living:
    Jan ISA& Save Acc £1600 Mort o/paid £250
    Feb ISA&save acc £1330.89 Mort o/paid£500
    March ISA&save ac£811.35 mort o/paid £250
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 14th Apr 18, 9:16 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 1,850 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Spend day today on groceries, spent £4.55 thanks to vouchers from MSE Total grocery spend for the month now £86.81/£200. Oh and £2.20 off my £15 gift budget as I picked up a card at the same time.

Did some cleaning this morning before heading out, reckon I'm a good halfway through the spring clean of the kitchen. Tomorrow I need to clean the oven *urgh* and the floor, and run descaler through some of the appliances - then that's another room ticked off my list. I'm getting dangerously close to having to scrub the bathrooms though. Did some knitting, experimenting with a very easy newborn hat

No chocolate today, but have had a mini hot cross bun after dinner and a free cappuccino in Waitrose for lunch.

Grateful for:
    The NHS
    A good optician
    Finding my Nectar points are up to £95 and Boots points up to £30
    And the sunshine!
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 14th Apr 18, 10:26 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 5,125 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    Evening everyone

Went to the park today, it was mild but slippery and muddy from the rain yesterday.

Stopped off at McDs and the supermarket on the way back bringing my spends to £185.38/£350.

Sent £9.08 to the holiday savings. Have £325 in there now, only £175 left to go until I reach my target.

Sent £10.35 to the full and final fund. Have £75 in there, a long way to go until I reach my target.

Made a pasta bake for dinner this evening for the first time. It tasted fine but was a bit dry. So I made another and rather than putting the cheese at the top, I mixed it in and the bake came out looking more appetising. I got two portions out of this one, which I've frozen so I can take them to work for lunch in the future.

Thinking of making a slow cooker chicken curry this coming week. I'm trying to get my cooking skills to passable levels .

Off to read a few chapters in my book now before heading to bed.

Today I'm grateful for my mum looking after the little one tonight.
    Last edited by swimminginaseaofdebt; 14-04-2018 at 11:27 PM.
    SPC11 #564 - £186.83
    SPC12 #22 - In Progress
    Stars from Sue -
    • misstara
    • By misstara 14th Apr 18, 11:24 PM
    • 2,962 Posts
    • 21,008 Thanks
    misstara
    NSDs - 8/15, a spend day today, bought petrol, some fencing for the garden and eggs
    Report - 14/30
    Interests - went for a walk and tested out my new walking shoes
    Love - put on some perfume
    Outside - walked along the beach
    Overpay - nothing today
    Organise - just work stuff
    Bad habit - no crisps
    Gratitudes - sunshine, lovely walk along the beach, coffee with my dad, leftover steak pie for tea
    Mini Targets in December
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 14th Apr 18, 11:30 PM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 28,044 Thanks
    mothernerd
    A better day - feel as though I have made some progress and I finally have a notice board and two inspiration boards (no words on them yet just covered the cardboard with wallpaper). Spend so much time helping other people in the craft sessions that I never get time to make my own things - I have a small scottie dog cut out to make a brooch (done months ago and I had to ask someone else if she would cut it out as I was helping three different people doing 3 different things).

Two largest cardboard boxes are now cut down to size and have finished off two pva glues and one gluestick plus some tape that looked like fun but is a nuisance in reality. Want to prep at least three craft projects, hopefully ones that will use up lots of odds and ends.

Have thrown the sheet down for washing (second duvet cover and my clothes have all been line dried), dealt with 5 binbags from thier room (squashed into 1 and a bit by the time I had taken all the recyclables out and pu them in the appropriate bins, squirted stuff all round the bath and di a bit of pampering with sun cream (works as a moisturiser/ body ;lotion and it has insect repellent - have already been bitten by midges).

Will slog on through tomorrow (may do more tonight if I can't drop off to sleep after reading) and hope things are a lot clearer by this time tomorrow.. Going to treat myself to another bath (after a quick trip downstairs because I think someone has put the heating on again ).

Today I am grateful for lovely weather, for antihistamines, for getting things done, for creative sparks, for clean sheets.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Dec in the Tardis #3 SFD 8/15 Food £180 Travel £12 Ent/diy £12 Ext Christmas /£100 (absolute max)
    No Debt No mortgage
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 14th Apr 18, 11:46 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 28,033 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 2 checking in
    Hi all

Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Usual exceptions apply, you won't lose a NSD for ys items, petrol or medical expenses. NSD today so 8/15 NSDs

Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest. Added up March's expenses - horrifying is the word. Still need to split up cc spends to see what went where. Now have cc statement ready to total. Will need to use savings to pay for hols..in 10 days time! Transferred savings into euro for hols next week..

Report in every day. The daily support from this thread will keep you on track Here again..14/30

Interests - is there any hobbies that you'd like to take up or perhaps an old hobby that you'd like to start again. This is the month to do it, let us know what you plan to do Have 2 so far - collecting hobby I have & someone got in touch to buy something connected to it - 4 years ago!! She got back in touch 2 weeks ago, have emailed her today & will attempt to find the item she wants...it's win-win as it will be money for savings too. Also, have Fairisle cushion to finish, usually do mindless knitting in front of TV, this doesn't come under that so never gets done. Finally retrieved fairisle cushion from back of chair where it was stuffed; realise to my shame haven't touched it in 18 months..despite that managed to find my place in the pattern & actually do a couple of rows. Bless highlighter tape!! Finally managed to identify all the different colours of the wool - hard when they are called irrelevant names & are missing the ball bands - only to realise I am missing a colour. Shan't need it until almost the end, might just use what I have left over. Need to pack fairisle cushion, more knitting and books for hols..

Love yourself, do something to make yourself feel fab - wear a bright scarf, get your eyebrows done, have a bath, put on your fave perfume. Nothing today..

Find time to get outside. Lighter nights are now here so get out in the garden, go for a walk. Fresh air is good for everyone. Finished putting stones on path, looks much better & will stop more mud being splashed up on gazebo outside, which is spattered. Now need to get door repaired, have all bits but they need shaping. Cleanup still going well but need to do some inside as well as outside..boo

Overpay - aim to pay 20% extra to your debt or savings. It's up to you how you do this - overtime at work, saving money on the food bill, selling items. Will deffo try, will be in the form of selling collectibles or ebaying. Making a PAD every day to keep cc balance under control.

Organise your month. Check your cupboards, make a meal plan and stick to your food budget. Plan any social events and budget for them, ideally come up with free alternatives. Will do, need to reduce freezer stocks. Easy supper tonight, and DH says he will 'cook' tomorrow

[/COLOR]Lose one bad habit. Mine's is a food related one but it can be anything you like. No snacking between meals. No snacking today, had a small chocolate bar but actually wasn't impressed with it...grr

Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes. Grateful for: Lovely warm day, got 3 loads of washing dry, lovely peaceful garden, more things coming into flower, going to see new kitten tomorrow..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 15th Apr 18, 8:23 AM
    • 4,126 Posts
    • 38,230 Thanks
    dolly84
    Had a nice moorland walk yesterday, although we did get a bit lost but that is always the case for us. Spent £5 on car parking, I normally park elsewhere and walk to this place but as we were walking much further this wasn't an option plus it is NT and goes to the upkeep of the place.

Also had a takeaway last night too, this is becoming too frequent and needs to stop.

Me and DH are cycling this morning, not sure of the plan for the rest of the day but the kids go back to school tomorrow so would like to spend some time doing something with them.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 15th Apr 18, 9:12 AM
    • 2,754 Posts
    • 26,444 Thanks
    Fmess
    Spendy day yesterday on fruit and veg (to try and keep me on SW) and flea treatment as I have bites since coming back from holiday Think the cat must have invited them in when I was away, maybe in protest of being left home alone! I!!!8217;ve washed everything I can and keep hoovering and spraying everything else. They!!!8217;ve got to die soon, surely?!

Today should be a SFD. Just walked the dogs, now off to the gym and then I!!!8217;ll do more hoovering followed by school work.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Apr 18, 9:58 AM
    • 7,606 Posts
    • 77,507 Thanks
    greent
    Day 14
    Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Usual exceptions apply, - Still 5/15 - went out for lunch for DS1's 18th birthday
    Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest. - ok (done)
    Report in every day. ok
    Interests -- am going to ease myself back into fitness this month and read more -running total -2 walks, 4 books.
    Love yourself - using up face creams etc (micellar water, serums) on a daily basis - hoping my skin will benefit -

Find time to get outside. - - nope,
    Overpay - aim to pay 20% extra to your debt or savings. - Put an extra £250 to the savings acct for final pymt on OH's car - Also so far an extra £260 set aside for OH's car from fleabay and previously missed/ unclaimed expenses.
    Organise your month. - DS1's 18th birthday mid month
    Lose one bad habit. - a certain game which I've spent waaay too much time on in March.... - not touched it today (this has gone very well)
    Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes. - yes
    Today (yesterday) I am grateful for:
    * family birthday lunch (used a voucher as well to reduce cost )* getting all the fleabay things packed up and sent off
    * DS1's cake looking fab (bday today, but collected cake yesterday)
    * getting 2 loads of washing properly dry on the line
    * gorgeous weather

Budgets:
    Food 227.51/450
    Travel 59/ £75
    Gifts (inc cards etc) 8.25/£150
    Toiletries 6/£10
    Cleaning 10.70/ £10 (stocked up on dwasher tabs)
    Social 85.50/£150 - (pub & bday lunch)
    Clothing 132.60/ £75 (OH 2 x boots, 1 x coat, DS1 Y13 Leavers Hoody)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £8K/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £751.22/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 15th Apr 18, 10:14 AM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 17,152 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Spendy day yesterday on fruit and veg (to try and keep me on SW) and flea treatment as I have bites since coming back from holiday Think the cat must have invited them in when I was away, maybe in protest of being left home alone! I!!!8217;ve washed everything I can and keep hoovering and spraying everything else. They!!!8217;ve got to die soon, surely?!
    Originally posted by Fmess
    The slightly warmer weather may have 'woken' them up. Keep spraying and hoovering on full blast!!
    We had it once. It was horrible.
    MFW STARTMay 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,49Dec17 £108,80Jan 18 £108,39 Mar18 £108,50 Apr£108,10May£106,99Jun105,99.Jul105,30 Aug£103,99 Sep£102,999 Oct£101,999 Nov£101,300
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 15th Apr 18, 10:19 AM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 17,152 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Today will be NSD9
    I need nothing from the shops
    DH is taking DS3 and 4 swimming
    I will man the cooker.

Somehow managed to end the week with £55 left in my purse, and only a very small shopping list for yesterday. So have shunted some across to savings and will take out less this week. Planning on cutting DS4s hair this afternoon (2 out of 4 will let me)

List of jobs for the week sorted.
    Menus planned.
    Need to make a pizza dough
    But first..... more coffee!!
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 15th Apr 18, 11:45 AM
    • 5,358 Posts
    • 42,373 Thanks
    DawnW
    Sorry, been awol, but keeping the faith
    Up to 8 NSDs including today, so hoping to make the target this month, for once! I have put off shopping again and am baking /cooking (which I always do to be fair) using only ingredients I already have (which I don't always do).

Budgets (or those I include for this challenge - I have others ) are as follows:

Groceries - £65.08 / £250.00
    Pet food - £12.07 / £18.00 (and won't need any more)
    Diesel - £106.97 / £80 OH for some reason also filled up the camper van which doesn't get used much at this time of year
    Presents - £5 / £60 (family birthdays) will need to spend more
    Toiletries and cleaning supplies - £22.08 / £30

Big expense this month has been tyres Had to buy 2 for each vehicle. Boring but necessary! More car expenses coming up next month with MOTs and repairs, so need to keep the frugal faith in other areas to pay for it all!

Gratitudes:
    A lovely (free) day out yesterday in the sunshine
    Better weather forecast for the coming week (though it is the usual today, cold, windy and rainy )
    Beautiful double white daffodils in my garden, which I don't remember planting, but must have done -probably in one of those cheap mixed bags

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

944Posts Today

6,047Users online

Martin's Twitter