Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 28th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    • 2,679Posts
    • 18,901Thanks
    misstara
    NST April 2018: April Fool's Challenge
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:20 PM
    NST April 2018: April Fool's Challenge 28th Mar 18 at 10:20 PM
    Welcome to NST April 2018, the April Fool's challenge.

Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Usual exceptions apply, you won't lose a NSD for ys items, petrol or medical expenses.
    Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest.
    Report in every day. The daily support from this thread will keep you on track
    Interests - is there any hobbies that you'd like to take up or perhaps an old hobby that you'd like to start again. This is the month to do it, let us know what you plan to do
    Love yourself, do something to make yourself feel fab - wear a bright scarf, get your eyebrows done, have a bath, put on your fave perfume.

Find time to get outside. Lighter nights are now here so get out in the garden, go for a walk. Fresh air is good for everyone
    Overpay - aim to pay 20% extra to your debt or savings. It's up to you how you do this - overtime at work, saving money on the food bill, selling items.
    Organise your month. Check your cupboards, make a meal plan and stick to your food budget. Plan any social events and budget for them, ideally come up with free alternatives.
    Lose one bad habit. Mine's is a food related one but it can be anything you like.
    Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes.

So that's the challenge, who's up for it?
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £906.44 (60.6% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £576.48 (27.7% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 4/60
    Emergency fund - £40/£1000. Car fund - £77.09/£1000.
    Mini Targets in April
    Exercise target - 7/16. Groceries target £132.11/£200. NSD target 10/15.
Page 14
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 10th Apr 18, 11:51 PM
    • 2,764 Posts
    • 25,625 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 2 checking in

Hi all

Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Usual exceptions apply, you won't lose a NSD for ys items, petrol or medical expenses. Shopped today so still 4/15 NSDs - hope that will be it until we go on hols next Tues

Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest. Added up March's expenses - horrifying is the word. Still need to split up cc spends to see what went where. Now have cc statement ready to total. Will need to use savings to pay for hols..in 10 days time! Money finally received at 3rd time of asking (!) happens every single month tbh. Have receipts to add up spends, will do tomorrow.

Report in every day. The daily support from this thread will keep you on track Here again..10/30

Interests - is there any hobbies that you'd like to take up or perhaps an old hobby that you'd like to start again. This is the month to do it, let us know what you plan to do Have 2 so far - collecting hobby I have & someone got in touch to buy something connected to it - 4 years ago!! She got back in touch 2 weeks ago, have emailed her today & will attempt to find the item she wants...it's win-win as it will be money for savings too. Also, have Fairisle cushion to finish, usually do mindless knitting in front of TV, this doesn't come under that so never gets done. Finally retrieved fairisle cushion from back of chair where it was stuffed; realise to my shame haven't touched it in 18 months..despite that managed to find my place in the pattern & actually do a couple of rows. Bless highlighter tape!! Finally managed to identify all the different colours of the wool - hard when they are called irrelevant names & are missing the ball bands - only to realise I am missing a colour. Shan't need it until almost the end, might just use what I have left over. Still not looked for item, must do tomorrow. Looked for item in room of Doom but still not located it/them. Will keep trying, maybe tomorrow though friend will be here in the afternoon for a natter.

Love yourself, do something to make yourself feel fab - wear a bright scarf, get your eyebrows done, have a bath, put on your fave perfume. Perfume & makeup for stint in CS, feeling low though as pain in side much worsened & not sure why.. Surely it should be getting better, not worse? It was Good Friday I got knocked over fgs

Find time to get outside. Lighter nights are now here so get out in the garden, go for a walk. Fresh air is good for everyone. Not much time at all in garden as pouring rain most of day, plus stint in CS. Hopefully better tomorrow, but again side pain making everything difficult atm.

Overpay - aim to pay 20% extra to your debt or savings. It's up to you how you do this - overtime at work, saving money on the food bill, selling items. Will deffo try, will be in the form of selling collectibles or ebaying. No joy since bag sale last week, although finally remembered to return top that didn't suit me so £29 recovered there.

Organise your month. Check your cupboards, make a meal plan and stick to your food budget. Plan any social events and budget for them, ideally come up with free alternatives. Will do, need to reduce freezer stocks. Meals from items we had in freezer, small shop today at SM & farm shop. Should not need anything till next week, will then need to stock up leaving food for DD & animals.

[/COLOR]Lose one bad habit. Mine's is a food related one but it can be anything you like. No snacking between meals. No snacking today, have lost the amazing amount of half a pound since last week. Ah well better off than on...

Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes. Grateful for: Difficult to do this today, but grateful for last shift done in CS for a couple of weeks, for Voltarol tablets, for not having to get up at 5.30 with DD, for DH asking what needs to be done before we go away...its a looong list..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • Puddleglum
    • By Puddleglum 11th Apr 18, 3:06 AM
    • 519 Posts
    • 4,220 Thanks
    Puddleglum
    NSD 4/15 here and tomorrow (today now!) should be one too although I am about to sign up for a life changing course which will cost a bit.

I went for a long walk in the afternoon and was really surprised at just how waterlogged the ground is.

Today I am grateful for having everything I need and the ability to make choices. If we still had a mortgage I don't think the choices would be quite so easy to make.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

Pay off debts and save 2018. Time to turn my life around (candle moment).
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 11th Apr 18, 6:12 AM
    • 2,685 Posts
    • 25,720 Thanks
    Fmess
    SFD number 8 yesterday. Went for a swim, which was lovely.

Yesterday I was grateful for swimming, a good long chat with my friend, having one insurance claim accepted, having an important meeting arranged for next week at school, only one member of staff being off, my year 11s showing a much higher level of maturity than usual, homemade ready meals from the freezer and a phone call from my parents.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 11th Apr 18, 7:13 AM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 11,102 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    NSD 6 here
    Rainy wet and horrid so I wil be stripping more wallpaper in the hall (the plaster comes off too! Exciting!!) and will try and grab plasterer-dad on the playground and book him in.

Cut DS3s hair last night. He looks great - thick hair with a definite kink to it, so it rarely gets done nicely at the barbers and they splat it down with goop. Mine is much better and saved myself £10. Now to convince DS4 (the older two can go to the barbers)
    Hate the school run already.
    Not feeling very positive. Not sure why.
    So I am clearing clutter and improving my living environment. Not that any one else seems to notice.
    Just call me Eeyore today. Off to roll in some thistles
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,000April £107.---
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k before JulyMortgage-free wannabe 2018 #161
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 11th Apr 18, 8:16 AM
    • 2,344 Posts
    • 24,378 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Hugs f0xh0les
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Apr #3 SFD 12/15 Food £82£120 Travel £18.70/£15 Ent £0/£30 (+ £20 membership fee)
    No Debt No mortgage
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 11th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 435 Posts
    • 4,542 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Good morning all.

A-NSD number 6 today -
    P- I only have £80 left for the month now however i do have £60 for fuel & EF is currently at £900. Hub leaves on Sunday for 3 weeks but I spend a lot less when he is around and he earns more
    R-hello
    I- no cooking or baking to report -
    L- put on a pretty dress today because I felt like it.
    F- rain is keeping us all very much indoors. Praying it cheers up a little by this weekend but we will have fun regardless.
    O- organised and planned what food we are taking away and bought party food for LOs tea party yesterday. Lots of cleaning/packing and organising tomorrow.
    O-really not sure I can over pay any more than I already have. I am really saving every penny while still needing to live. Hub is giving me money for my bday which I NEED to spend on clothes.
    L- keeping off my phone & being more productive as a result,
    S- grateful that my friend is making me tea tonight, that I have lost 12lb -( 4 more to go this month & feeling better for it) and that there is only 2 months to go until Paris
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 11th Apr 18, 9:53 AM
    • 3,277 Posts
    • 26,845 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hello,

back from holiday. Was back at work yesterday but my head was all over the place. Updated my spreadsheets etc. Holiday spends weren't too bad as my parents paid a lot, my auntie sponsored the trip to the dinosaur park and we had euros left. Not sure where I stand on NSDs but will just start again from today.

However the hire car was ridiculous. They charge an arm and a leg for the kids car seats etc which we knew in advance but still. Luckily, I got an extra insurance (the hire place take 1k in security but that doesn't cover split tyres or damaged wing mirrors). On day 2 DH managed to burst a tyre. They charged us 293 Euros excess for it, better be getting that back from the insurance.

Otherwise the trip was great, 21C and sunshine all the way. Also managed to get 1kg of wild boar meat home. Can't wait to make the stew this weekend.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 11-04-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    NST April 9
    SFD11/20 spends 411 /520
    Exercise 6/10
    Debt - all 0% 1155 to go from 5290
    DFD 5/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 104915 (02/18) OP 0
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 11th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    • 3,277 Posts
    • 26,845 Thanks
    thriftylass

Aim for at least 15 NSDs. In progress
    Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest. Done
    Report in every day. Will do from now on
    Interests - crochet most nights again, started the gardening season by starting the seeds
    Love yourself, been wearing my late MIL's lovely necklace and perfume every day

Find time to get outside. been outside most days on holiday, walking, bbqing, or just relaxing
    Overpay - will try and round up the saving or mortgage by the end of the month, proper overpayments planned from May
    Organise your month. Done
    Lose one bad habit. Unfortunately there are many, first one to go is day time snacking

So that's the challenge, who's up for it?
    Originally posted by misstara
    Thought I list mine here too as I hadn't done it yet.
    NST April 9
    SFD11/20 spends 411 /520
    Exercise 6/10
    • BadBookkeeper
    • By BadBookkeeper 11th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    BadBookkeeper
    #13 Checking in....

Aim for at least 15 NSDs - still 4/15. Stuck again! Much needed haircut

Pay to your debt - WIP

Report in every day. - Done

Interests - Nothing here today.

Love yourself - Haircut.

Find time to get outside - Will be walking DS home from school.

Overpay - Will revisit later in the month.

Organise your month - written a budget of how things will look once my full time salary kicks in.

Lose one bad habit - Hardly any time spent on fb today

A day to myself
    Time to have a sort out of a few cupboards
    DS friend coming for tea DS very excited
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 11th Apr 18, 2:18 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    laurenh I think I remember seeing you're an army wife too somewhere? Mine is away for 4 weeks so sending some solidarity if so and I spend so much less when he is away! I just run down the cupboards and freezer and have odd/mismatched meals, batch cook funny things, and have the same dinner everyday for a week. Doesn't bother me in the slightest I'm going to try and spend no more than £20 for the rest of the month doing this.

NSDs: 8/18
    Groceries: 82.26 / 200
    Personal: 41.74 / 80
    Presents: 0 / 15
    Diesel: 51.06 / 60

Gratitudes today:
    - I'm still loving my cheap tulips in the garden. I'm wondering about waddling out to the garden to deal with the daffs past their best after work. This could count as my outside time
    - Placed some 'practical' orders at the beginning of the month which have been arriving early. Plastic boxes for organising a future move, reusable nappies and accoutrements and ironically, disposable food containers for batch coooking for the arrival of little one. Feeling a bit guilty about these, we don't do disposable anything, but I'm going to be relying on my batch cooking for those early weeks and I'd have to buy more reusable containers than I'm ever likely to use again (not to mention the additional washing up). At least these ones are recycleable I suppose.
    - Sorted my energy deal out early this morning, we're going to save £11 a month
    - Chased up some refunds, should come through soon
    - The links to vouchers in today's MSE email, some useful ones for me, I can pick up a couple of freebies and 50p items at the weekend with them
    • DancingDragons
    • By DancingDragons 11th Apr 18, 6:04 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    DancingDragons
    Forgot to check in this morning...
    Foxholes: Must be something in the air, not exactly feeling on top of the world either. If I didn't know better I would say its the constant drizzle we have. Doesn't appear to be an end in site. Winter is coming? Winter has overstayed its blasted welcome.
    Gratitudes for yesterday, top of the pile - being able to get to the gym. Getting a little me time with friends.
    Gratitudes for today. DD doing well in school, confidence is up, she's worked hard so deserves the pat on the back she got from the teacher.
    Today was a SFD.
    Spent most of today avoiding doing the accounts - will have to tackle them soon. Updated SOA so it should be simple case of processing all the incoming/outgoing business spends. Not looking forward to it TBH
    Breaking the habit: Made Fish pie last night now in freezer. Sorting shopping list out tonight. Rock AND Roll!
    2018 Foolish April Ninja #33 | NSD 8/16 |
    I can do this! Debt: 11,989.29 11,189.29 goal DFD June 2020
    -34lb to 2019. Lost 7lb, <-stalled
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 11th Apr 18, 6:54 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 2,971 Thanks
    lcc86
    Haven't had time to check in for the last couple of days as working all day and doing my dissertation in the evenings. Not much to report. Randomly bought myself a second hand old camera online as a little project/hobby. That brings me up to 3/5 of my spend days.

Today I'm grateful for carpet cleaner arriving I'm the post and arranging a couple of things for my birthday.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    £1117/£1000 EF £538 saved for household jobs
    Debt free and in the black for the first time in 11 years
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 11th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 2,344 Posts
    • 24,378 Thanks
    mothernerd
    A NSD. Not much else to report. If I go mia it's because the laptop has broken - it has told me to put the battery on and it was already in
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Apr #3 SFD 12/15 Food £82£120 Travel £18.70/£15 Ent £0/£30 (+ £20 membership fee)
    No Debt No mortgage
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 11th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 22,026 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Hugs to those in need of them.
    A - 7/15 Managed an NSD.
    P - Done.
    R - Done.
    I - Read some of a book and wordsearch.
    L - Put some perfume on today.
    F - Walked part of the way home from work.
    O - Done.
    O - Still ongoing.
    L - Had an issue with spending time on social media today.
    S - Grateful for:
    Had a couple of hours temp work locally.
    Being in when 2 parcels I was expecting were delivered, just before I headed off to work.
    For my friend sorting out somethings for herself that is going to help her financially with the support of her son.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST April 2018: April Fool's Challenge NSD 15/15
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 11th Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 11,102 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Hugs f0xh0les
    Originally posted by mothernerd
    Thank you! Much appreciated.

Did you go in the bat house at the zoo? I told the kids if they stayed still and held their arms out the bats might land on them. They were all awed by being a bat landing pad. We could have stayed in there for hours.

And we used to live in Kersal, which borders Cheetham Hill which borders Blackley. I got bored one day just after having DS1 and decided to go for a wander and ended up in Harpurhey. So it was nice to hear about your visiting your son.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,000April £107.---
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 11th Apr 18, 7:54 PM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 11,102 Thanks
    f0xh0les

Gratitudes today:
    - I'm still loving my cheap tulips in the garden. I'm wondering about waddling out to the garden to deal with the daffs past their best after work. This could count as my outside time
    Originally posted by LavenderBee
    Be careful LB!
    Daffodil leaves should not be cut back until after they have turned yellow. Daffodils use their leaves to create energy, which is then used to create next year's flower. If you cut back daffodils before the leaves have turned yellow, the daffodil bulb will not produce a flower next year.
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 11th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    Be careful LB!
    Daffodil leaves should not be cut back until after they have turned yellow. Daffodils use their leaves to create energy, which is then used to create next year's flower. If you cut back daffodils before the leaves have turned yellow, the daffodil bulb will not produce a flower next year.
    Originally posted by f0xh0les
    Thank you - thankfully I didn't get round to Googling it, let alone going outside, so my dead daffs are in one piece Despite planting them all at the same time they've all come up at different times, but I'll wait til they're all yellow-leaved. Thank you for saving me a search

I'm rubbish with gardening (as you can tell!) but I'm surprised that my tulips seem to be flowering by colour. It was a big mixed pack, the lovely coral coloured ones are in full bloom, the purple have just come out and the yellow are still in bud. Gives them some longevity
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Apr 18, 8:21 PM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 70,702 Thanks
    greent
    Day 11
    Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Usual exceptions apply, - Still 4/15
    Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest. - ok (done)
    Report in every day. ok
    Interests -- am going to ease myself back into fitness this month and read more -running total -2 walks, 4 books. And another book started today
    Love yourself - using up face creams etc (micellar water, serums) on a daily basis - hoping my skin will benefit -

Find time to get outside. - - nope, other than a trip to TEsc0 & CS
    Overpay - aim to pay 20% extra to your debt or savings. - 6 items listed on flebay to help with this. Put an extra £250 to the savings acct for final pymt on OH's car - 3 things on fleabay have bids (should net £100+) Also found £90 of unclaimed expenses from last Nov for OH, so have set that aside as an extra payment for his CC
    Organise your month. - DS1's 18th birthday mid month - that's gonna cost...... (all presents now bought/ ordered)
    Lose one bad habit. - a certain game which I've spent waaay too much time on in March.... - not touched it today (this has gone very well)
    Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes. - yes
    Today I am grateful for:
    * some YS goodies in Tesc0 (duck and pancakes for tea - yum)
    * getting some paperwork for accountant sorted
    * bonus £90 in unclaimed expenses being found
    * more tidying in DS3's room

Budgets:
    Food 187.02/450
    Travel 59/ £75
    Gifts (inc cards etc) 8.25/£150
    Toiletries 6/£10
    Cleaning 10.70/ £10 (stocked up on dwasher tabs)
    Social £150
    Clothing 132.60/ £75 (OH 2 x boots, 1 x coat, DS1 Y13 Leavers Hoody)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £577.06/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £362.51/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £12808.40/£18694.38
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 11th Apr 18, 8:46 PM
    • 7,172 Posts
    • 53,938 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for a little walk with dd, for a truly successful playdate with a new couple of kiddies, for the children playing outside for aaaages, for fun with dd throwing a bouncy ball around the place downstairs for her to chase, for dh getting on with some admin work, for a long chat with big sis, for honing my bday plans, for local magnolia trees starting to show off.
    NST April #17; NSD 14/15 ; Ex 16/20 ; craft 16/30 (48); remove 385
    2018 Pay off: £1188; 2
    018 sell

Mortgage £21,904 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 11th Apr 18, 10:07 PM
    • 3,277 Posts
    • 26,845 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Be careful LB!
    Originally posted by f0xh0les
    Thank you - thankfully I didn't get round to Googling it, let alone going outside, so my dead daffs are in one piece Despite planting them all at the same time they've all come up at different times, but I'll wait til they're all yellow-leaved. Thank you for saving me a search

I'm rubbish with gardening (as you can tell!) but I'm surprised that my tulips seem to be flowering by colour. It was a big mixed pack, the lovely coral coloured ones are in full bloom, the purple have just come out and the yellow are still in bud. Gives them some longevity
    Originally posted by LavenderBee
    It used to annoy me the way my wilted daffodils look but knew you shouldn't cut bulb plants down too early. Then I pinched an idea I saw in my neighbour's garden and started tying them into a little knot. Lets them reabsorbed the energy and looks neater. Just make sure to be gentle and don't bruise/break the leaves.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 12-04-2018 at 9:04 AM.
    NST April 9
    SFD11/20 spends 411 /520
    Exercise 6/10
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,455Posts Today

8,433Users online

Martin's Twitter