Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dragonchi
    • By dragonchi 28th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 9Thanks
    dragonchi
    OPC - 4 Years Ago Unpaid Private Parking Charge
    • 28th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    OPC - 4 Years Ago Unpaid Private Parking Charge 28th Mar 18 at 8:26 PM
    I've read the forum and the other thread regarding a similar issue, but I don't understand what to do, maybe because of my learning disabilities and not understanding the terminology. Could someone explain to me in simple terms how I can appeal a letter I have received from OPC regarding an unpaid private parking charge from over 4 years ago? I obviously have no memory of this, I don't know if it was me or my ex partner at the time that was driving as that was his address, but I have also not received any previous communication, so I'm confused as to the letter stating it's too late to pay at a discounted rate, this is the letter in full, excluding my personal details:

OPC
    PO Box 956
    St. Albans AL1 9HL
    Without prejudice

23rd March 2018

*Title/First Name/Surname*
    *First line of address*
    *Town*
    *Postcode*

PPC/Ticket Number: *number*
    Date and time of issue: 22/02/2014 08:38
    Vehicle: *reg/make/model*
    Location *road/town/county*
    Reason for issue: Vehicle parked on double/single yellow lines

Dear *title/surname*

UNPAID PRIVATE PARKING CHARGE (Photographic evidence held)

On 22/02/2014 a private parking charge was issued against the above vehicle at *location*. The driver of the vehicle has an obligation to pay for this charge. Please be aware that you are now in default of this legal obligation.

Please note that this letter serves as formal notice to the unpaid parking charge ref *number*.

You are hereby given notice that:

The Restricted Area is a controlled parking zone at which there are clearly displayed signs indicating:
    a) the terms of which a vehicle may enter and/or remain in the area; and
    b) the circumstances in which a parking charge will be made.
    By entering and/or remaining in the Restricted Area, you agreed to be bound by the displayed terms.
    A private parking charge was issued on 22/02/2014
    The parking charge has not been paid and it is too late to pay the discounted rate we offered to be paid within the first 14 days of issue.
    The driver (see point 8) is now liable to pay the full private parking charge detailed above.
    Payment may be made via:
    a) Cheque or postal order to OPC at PO Box 956, St Albans, AL1 9HJ
    b) Credit/debit card:
    i. By completing and returning the enclosed form to OPC at PO Box 956, St Albans, AL1 9HJ
    ii. Making payment via telephone on 08442 640 712
    If full payment of 100.00 is not received within 28 days we will have no alternative but to instruct our solicitors for them to issue proceedings in order to recover the debt. This will result in in additional costs and charges to be added to the initial debt that may include interest, court fees and administration charges.
    If you are a vehicle-hire firm and the vehicle was hired out at the time the parking took place, please also let us know and provide us with a copy of the hire agreement and a copy of statement of liability signed by the hirer under that hire agreement. Please note that we may have a right to recover unpaid parking charges from you.

Yours sincerely,

OPC
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 28th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 19,293 Posts
    • 24,535 Thanks
    Redx
    • 28th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 28th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    it is far too late to appeal a parking charge issued several years ago

you want a simple answer ?

IGNORE

come back if you receive a formal LBC in the post , written as per the new rules for an LBC

and/or

come back if you receive an MCOL from Northampton CCBC (a civil court claim)

you can IGNORE the begging letters but NOT an LBC or an MCOL

however, if 6 years passes, there is nothing they can do , so work out 6 years from the incident date and put a note on your calendar, so in 2 years time

ps:- if the driver has not been disclosed, keep it that way

if they failed a law called POFA2012, then the keeper is not liable , so if you are or were the keeper and have no idea who was driving, they cannot win against a keeper and have no idea who was driving, same as you have no idea either
    Last edited by Redx; 28-03-2018 at 10:06 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • dragonchi
    • By dragonchi 28th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    dragonchi
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    I've just read about POFA2012, thanks for your advice on this.
    I know I've had no notice of this previously. I assume they will have to prove that they have tried to notify me previously, provide evidence and photo of the signage and also prove who was driving since I myself don't even know?
    • Redx
    • By Redx 28th Mar 18, 10:06 PM
    • 19,293 Posts
    • 24,535 Thanks
    Redx
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:06 PM
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:06 PM
    yes, especially if they failed POFA2012
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 28th Mar 18, 10:09 PM
    • 61,761 Posts
    • 74,679 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:09 PM
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:09 PM
    They wouldn't have to prove who was driving, if the PPC had issued a compliant NTK in time.

But this is OPC, no chance IMHO:

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/2011/03/31/26000-fine-for-parking-firm/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9179438/DVLA-sells-details-to-convicted-criminal.html

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/observices_parking_consultancy_o

Come back if they try a small claim...you are very, very likely to win if so, with forum help.

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • dragonchi
    • By dragonchi 28th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    dragonchi
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    Would it work against me if I responded asking for evidence and stating that I do not know who was driving at the time? The letter says they have photo evidence, but there is no photo with the letter.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 28th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    • 9,309 Posts
    • 9,589 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:28 PM
    Then ask them for the photo evidence.
    You could even suggest that their photos may even help you identify the driver.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 28th Mar 18, 10:56 PM
    • 61,761 Posts
    • 74,679 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:56 PM
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:56 PM
    Would it work against me if I responded asking for evidence and stating that I do not know who was driving at the time? The letter says they have photo evidence, but there is no photo with the letter.
    Originally posted by dragonchi
    How do you think anything will work against you, after reading those links?!

You are giving OPC far too much respect, but yes, you could do this:
    Then ask them for the photo evidence.
    You could even suggest that their photos may even help you identify the driver.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • dragonchi
    • By dragonchi 29th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    dragonchi
    • 29th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 29th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    Thanks for everyone's advice, it's reassured me somewhat. I'll let you know if I get any more letters.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 29th Mar 18, 11:10 AM
    • 8,495 Posts
    • 11,207 Thanks
    beamerguy
    It's just old Harris still trying to recover HIS 26,000 FINE

Witholding pictures, all sounds very dodgy and he is scraping
    the barrel after 4 years.

As said, ignore the letter and I wonder which solicitor would
    touch him knowing his history ? Off the cuff, I can think
    of 3 dodgy legals that might and that is where stupidity
    takes over.

The BPA in their normal stupidity are to blame for allowing
    this known rogue to continue

Just wait now
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 29th Mar 18, 11:49 AM
    • 19,505 Posts
    • 30,849 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    OPC was not a member of the BPA for a period of time. Email the BPA and ask what the period was when they had no membership.

If your parking event date is during that period of non-membership and you didn't appeal at the time, providing your name and address in the process, you need to write to the DVLA and ask who accessed your details and when (give a span of dates sufficient to cover a week before your parking event, right up to the date you received this latest letter from OPC.

Once a dodgy, always a dodgy!
    The fact that I have commented on your thread does not mean I have become your personal adviser. A long list of subsequent questions addressed for my personal attention is unlikely to receive a reply.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • dragonchi
    • By dragonchi 10th May 18, 2:27 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    dragonchi
    I have been ignoring them and I received another letter yesterday. This time saying the following:

UNPAID PRIVATE PARKING CHARGE (Photographic evidence held)

We write to you regarding your unpaid parking charge. Despite repeated reminders you have failed to pay the fee of 100.00 that you are liable for in connection with this unpaid private parking charge.

Please note that we now have no further option but to pass this matter on to our solicitor who will, in due course, contact you regarding proceedings against you on the basis of:

1. We have the right to claim unpaid parkings charges from you by the landlord/owner of the site of issue;
    2. Our parking attendant or ANPR system has collated photographic evidence of your vehicle at the time of the ticket being issued and this evidence may now be used against you.

We offer a final concessionary offer to settle outside of court at a reduced payment of 90.00 that must be paid in full within 14 days starting from the date of this letter.

Please be aware that if this is not settled within the next 14 days and this matter is passed on to our acting solicitor then you will incur further additional costs.

This is a genuine attempt to settle this existing dispute outside of court and cannot be put before the court and is subject to the terms outlines in this letter.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th May 18, 2:46 PM
    • 19,505 Posts
    • 30,849 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Email the BPA and ask what the period was when they had no membership.
    What did the BPA tell you?
    The fact that I have commented on your thread does not mean I have become your personal adviser. A long list of subsequent questions addressed for my personal attention is unlikely to receive a reply.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • dragonchi
    • By dragonchi 10th May 18, 2:51 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    dragonchi
    They said that because I received a response on here, they didn't feel the need to respond also.
    Maybe I will try emailing them again.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th May 18, 2:54 PM
    • 19,505 Posts
    • 30,849 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    They said that because I received a response on here, they didn't feel the need to respond also.
    Maybe I will try emailing them again.
    Eh....?

The BPA said that in reply to your email? They are monitoring this thread?
    • dragonchi
    • By dragonchi 10th May 18, 3:01 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    dragonchi
    Eh....?

The BPA said that in reply to your email? They are monitoring this thread?
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    My bad, I think I'm confusing BPA with another association who I asked for help and linked them this forum.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 10th May 18, 3:06 PM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    waamo
    My bad, I think I'm confusing BPA with another association who I asked for help and linked them this forum.
    Probably the BMPA. Different beast altogether. The BPA can be found here http://britishparking.co.uk/
    This space for hire.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th May 18, 3:13 PM
    • 19,505 Posts
    • 30,849 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    If you haven't therefore made the enquiry of the BPA (not BMPA) then I'd fire a quick email asking for the dates when OPC were not members of the BPA.

aos@britishparking.co.uk
    • dragonchi
    • By dragonchi 10th May 18, 3:20 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    dragonchi
    Probably the BMPA. Different beast altogether.
    Originally posted by waamo
    Yep, that's the one.

I've just sent an email to BPA asking for the period of time OPC had no membership.

I get the feeling though that I have to somehow think of a defence in court over something I have no knowledge of 4 years ago. And with my learning difficulties, I will struggle, but will do my best.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th May 18, 3:25 PM
    • 37,323 Posts
    • 21,513 Thanks
    Quentin
    Is there no-one you can ask to assist?

A friend could assist you if it comes to a court claim (by going through the Newbies faq and following the advice there on preparing a defence)

So follow the advice given to ignore them unless you do get a lbcca!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,192Posts Today

9,764Users online

Martin's Twitter