Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Precious8
    • By Precious8 28th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Precious8
    Consumer Law Barristers???
    • 28th Mar 18, 10:29 AM
    Consumer Law Barristers??? 28th Mar 18 at 10:29 AM
    Hi
    This is my first thread, it took me a while to find it!

Just wanted to know if anyone has been contacted by this company Consumer Law Barristers,
    we have and they have offered to help us to become debt free in a 12 month period. We are currently with a debt management company which will take ages to be debt free.

The thing is they are asking for 120 a month to assist us with the process, they have requested a full payment upfront but have not sent us agreement letter yet although I have asked for it.

Your thoughts would be of interest?
    Last edited by Precious8; 28-03-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Page 2
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 13th Jul 18, 4:24 PM
    • 9,519 Posts
    • 14,644 Thanks
    worried jim
    Hi, I'm going to use them, ok, the initial guy is a bit salesy but I like the process itself and see him as the admin person carrying it out. The new and small company is owned and overseen by David Uff, ie the buck stops with him, a senior barrister at a VERY good chambers, my daughter informs me and she's just qualified as a barrister. I'm ok with doing it as I can stop at any point. I also don't think it will take 12 months so it will be cheaper. Too long to go into here...but it's a different process to 'managing your debts' like stepchange, who I've been with for ten years, and who are funded by the creditors. This means they put the creditors interests first, rather than mine. That said over the years they've been mostly marvellous and literally saved my life as the oppression from the creditors has made me suicidal. But I need to move on from victimhood, from masochism and feeling hunted and full of shame and fear, by preditory creditors. Before people criticise this post I just want to say you won't know all the facts about my case, so judgements won't be based on facts.
    Originally posted by Taliapoppy
    And you've joined just to tell us this. Reconstituted pork product.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 13th Jul 18, 4:30 PM
    • 12,700 Posts
    • 9,764 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I'll repeat my advice in post #15 for the benefit of the latest poster extolling their virtues:

I think you should run this company past the Financial Conduct Authority. They don't appear to be FCA registered and, although they may feel they don't need to be, I am not sure the FCA would share that view.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 13th Jul 18, 6:09 PM
    • 5,262 Posts
    • 5,360 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    I do find it interesting that the two posts supporting this company have one and two posts respectively. I wonder why no regular forum users are supporting them?
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • tallyhoh
    • By tallyhoh 13th Jul 18, 6:19 PM
    • 2,158 Posts
    • 2,227 Thanks
    tallyhoh
    I do find it interesting that the two posts supporting this company have one and two posts respectively. I wonder why no regular forum users are supporting them?
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley

Its a total mystery
    Tallyhoh!

Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved 21,840 so far!
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 15,275 Posts
    • 14,364 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Good decision Talliapoppy.
    I have used this company and they are marvelous.
    I listened to the nonsense on Forums like this and would have been paying predatory debt collection companies through stepchange for 11 years.
    All they were interested in was to get me paying as much as possible for as long as possible and get large "donations" in return.
    I do wonder who funds the people on this forum who are so quick to rubbish real help from a real barrister and send people to stepchange.
    My guess is the advertisers on MSE, WHO ARE THE SAME PEOPLE WHO MAKE DONATIONS TO STEPCHANGE...............
    Originally posted by pwilko
    Ok, enough of this inane banter.

Thread closed..........
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 14-07-2018 at 8:25 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,160Posts Today

7,751Users online

Martin's Twitter