Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 28th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    • 8,973Posts
    • 21,729Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Forum updates
    • 28th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    Forum updates 28th Mar 18 at 9:45 AM
    Hi folks

We wanted to let you know about a few changes we’ll be making over the coming weeks to help keep the forum secure. Some of them may affect the way you use the Forum.

Switching the Forum to HTTPS (unsecure url message)

Some of you have noticed the phrase “unsecure url” in your address bar. We’re working now on switching the forum to HTTPS, which will mean that message will no longer show, and aiming to go live with it in April. This will involve turning the forum off for a few hours overnight while it’s set live. We’ll let you know closer to the time when this will be.

Turning off old forum versions

Work to switch the forum to HTTPS needs to be done on all versions (skins) of the forum. To reduce the time and resource it takes to make the switch we need to switch off some of those old forum skins and migrate the forum members who are on them to a newer skin (the one prior to the new blue skin). This will affect around 1,000 of you. You will still be on an old, green version of the Forum and will, of course, still be able to choose to switch to the newest, blue version if you decide to. We’re sorry this may affect your use of the Forum. Our priority, though, has to be the security of the site.

Facebook login

Facebook is making changes to the way Facebook log-in works in April. At this time we’ve taken the decision to remove the ability to log into the Forum via Facebook.

Let us know if you have any questions.

MSE Forum Team.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 13
    • 10_66
    • By 10_66 12th Apr 18, 6:18 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    10_66
    What a ******* cr*p decision it is to take away the old green stretchy version!!! I have eye sight issues and use a widescreen PC for viewing this forum, not a mobile phone or iPad. This enforced version, where most of the screen is taken up with broad blank bands, is utterly useless to me
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 12th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 4,930 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    What a crock of *****

Got rid of my white space courtesy of a Chrome extension mentioned on another thread
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    Care to share?

Anyone know where I can buy a 4:3 pc monitor to make best use of screen space. I threw my old one away thinking widescreen was the future.

• 10_66
    • By 10_66 12th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    10_66
    ...Anyone know where I can buy a 4:3 pc monitor to make best use of screen space. I threw my old one away thinking widescreen was the future.
    Originally posted by VoucherMan
    Maybe MSE Towers will have some that they'd like to share out, as they obviously favour this rubbish layout
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 34,202 Posts
    • 126,950 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Well, at least MSE have left us a green skin. It could have been worse....... a lot worse!

Anyone know where I can buy a 4:3 pc monitor to make best use of screen space. I threw my old one away thinking widescreen was the future.
    You could try the British Heart Foundation shops as they sell a lot of electrical/electronic second-hand stuff.

Or ask/look on Freegle/Freecycle and get one free!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • kpwll
    • By kpwll 12th Apr 18, 7:51 PM
    • 1,783 Posts
    • 4,510 Thanks
    kpwll
    Well, at least MSE have left us a green skin. It could have been worse....... a lot worse!

You could try the British Heart Foundation shops as they sell a lot of electrical/electronic second-hand stuff.

Or ask/look on Freegle/Freecycle and get one free!
    Originally posted by Pyxis

The headings on mine are green, but the main background on the posts is pale blue.
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 12th Apr 18, 7:58 PM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 4,930 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    Want your stretchy screen back?

All we need is a good Painkiller, and this one works

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74151687&postcount=8

• DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    DoaM

I can confirm that this works. At the page linked in the post linked above, choose Install With Stylish and the magic basically happens by itself. Then simply Ctrl+R to refresh MSE and you're back to stretchy.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 24,803 Posts
    • 92,089 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Until people here mentioned them, I'd never thought about the blank bits on the page. I'm on a wide screen, so I suppose about half of my page is blank.

Now I have thought about them, the blanks still don't bother me. They're just a white bit and two greyish bits. I know they're there and I don't need to look at them, so what's the problem?
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Apr 18, 9:50 PM
    • 4,258 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    DoaM
    so what's the problem?
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    The main issue is excessive and unnecessary scrolling of the page .. the narrower the viewport then the longer the page length.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Mista_C
    • By Mista_C 12th Apr 18, 10:41 PM
    • 1,834 Posts
    • 3,960 Thanks
    Mista_C
    It doesn't work well at all on high resolution...

...and I have no intention of installing 3rd party browser plugins just to view ONE website.
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 12th Apr 18, 11:19 PM
    • 3,040 Posts
    • 11,037 Thanks
    Frogletina

Wow - brilliant!

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64 SPC 10 #441 £1164.13
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Apr 18, 11:19 PM
    • 92,159 Posts
    • 59,323 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I can confirm that this works. At the page linked in the post linked above, choose Install With Stylish and the magic basically happens by itself. Then simply Ctrl+R to refresh MSE and you're back to stretchy.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Thank you for that. It makes it more bearable.

The fixed width skins on an ultrawide monitor was only using 1/8th of the width. it was swamped with white area.

White area that actually increases your electricity usage.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 13th Apr 18, 12:28 AM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 57,117 Thanks
    SingleSue
    Any idea when they are going to put in a fix so that we can have the page back to normal instead of just the middle half of a screen with big white borders without having to download external things to do so? Or at least toning down the white?

So much white, it's killing my eyes!

I did try zooming but that too is a bit of a hassle for one site and it makes the writing far too big that I end up trying to type with my arms stretched out. Oh and I am not using a browser that is covered by the links to that external download.

To be clear, I don't mind the look of the site now, I just want it to fit my screen instead of a slender narrow column in the middle of it.

The alternative is to give up looking at the site on a laptop and just popping in from time to time on a mobile where it is as least bearable.
    We made it! One graduated, 2 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 13th Apr 18, 12:54 AM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 1,979 Thanks
    badmemory
    I guess the whole thing is designed for people who have nothing better to do in work than check out things on their very expensive mobile phone (not very MSE or hopefully for their job prospects). Total & literal waste of space on an actual computer.

Unfortunately we seem to have the spam button back in the same place as before so I suppose some threads will land up deleted without reason! Again!
    Last edited by badmemory; 13-04-2018 at 1:04 AM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Apr 18, 6:03 AM
    • 34,202 Posts
    • 126,950 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I guess the whole thing is designed for people who have nothing better to do in work than check out things on their very expensive mobile phone (not very MSE or hopefully for their job prospects). Total & literal waste of space on an actual computer.

Unfortunately we seem to have the spam button back in the same place as before so I suppose some threads will land up deleted without reason! Again!
    Originally posted by badmemory
    The spam button has been back for quite some time.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Apr 18, 6:09 AM
    • 34,202 Posts
    • 126,950 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Any idea when they are going to put in a fix so that we can have the page back to normal instead of just the middle half of a screen with big white borders without having to download external things to do so? Or at least toning down the white?

So much white, it's killing my eyes!
    Originally posted by SingleSue
    Sue, there are no plans to fix that. What's happened is that old skins, including your green stretchy one, have been taken off the system.

The only options now available are the green Fixed Width one that you are now seeing, or the 'new' blue one.

I've been on the green Fixed one since I joined MSE, and only use an iPad, so I don't see any difference, but lots of people like you are finding this non-stretchy one difficult.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Apr 18, 7:05 AM
    • 24,803 Posts
    • 92,089 Thanks
    Davesnave
    The main issue is excessive and unnecessary scrolling of the page .. the narrower the viewport then the longer the page length.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    I can see that would be more difficult for those with arthritis etc, but despite being old and a bit decrepit, my index finger still works OK, so again, I'd never have noticed this if you'd not mentioned it.

Anyway, it's good if there are some answers for Chrome users. I'm not one of them, so I'll just go blind and wear out my finger!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 13th Apr 18, 10:10 AM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 57,117 Thanks
    SingleSue
    Sue, there are no plans to fix that. What's happened is that old skins, including your green stretchy one, have been taken off the system.

The only options now available are the green Fixed Width one that you are now seeing, or the 'new' blue one.

I've been on the green Fixed one since I joined MSE, and only use an iPad, so I don't see any difference, but lots of people like you are finding this non-stretchy one difficult.
    I didn't like the look of the new one on my mobile or Ipad when not signed in and it was always a relief to sign in and get the old one (even if I had to do some expert side scrolling) but the green fixed width really does me in on a laptop. For the moment, I have switched to the new style rather than the green fixed width one as that is less eeky on my eyes and my fingers (yes, arthritic fingers are a feature here) and it at least fills the screen a little better on my laptop.

Thing is, it should be possible to tweak things so that a (possibly new) stretchy skin for the green version is available without downloading extensions from a third party or risking security issues for the site so that is suits both mobile devices and static ones rather than just the one medium, although I expect the reply to that will be just to use the new version that I am currently using as that is more suited for a desktop/laptop!
    We made it! One graduated, 2 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 13th Apr 18, 11:26 AM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 13,210 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    The spam button has been back for quite some time.
    not for everyone
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 76.4
    Total so far - 1237.9
    • john539
    • By john539 13th Apr 18, 4:19 PM
    • 15,536 Posts
    • 10,397 Thanks
    john539
    Dear oh dear !

5 steps backwards.

All that wasted space left & right !
    Last edited by john539; 13-04-2018 at 4:23 PM. Reason: 5 steps backwards
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

981Posts Today

8,200Users online

Martin's Twitter