Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 28th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    • 8,964Posts
    • 21,690Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Forum updates
    • 28th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    Forum updates 28th Mar 18 at 9:45 AM
    Hi folks

We wanted to let you know about a few changes we’ll be making over the coming weeks to help keep the forum secure. Some of them may affect the way you use the Forum.

Switching the Forum to HTTPS (unsecure url message)

Some of you have noticed the phrase “unsecure url” in your address bar. We’re working now on switching the forum to HTTPS, which will mean that message will no longer show, and aiming to go live with it in April. This will involve turning the forum off for a few hours overnight while it’s set live. We’ll let you know closer to the time when this will be.

Turning off old forum versions

Work to switch the forum to HTTPS needs to be done on all versions (skins) of the forum. To reduce the time and resource it takes to make the switch we need to switch off some of those old forum skins and migrate the forum members who are on them to a newer skin (the one prior to the new blue skin). This will affect around 1,000 of you. You will still be on an old, green version of the Forum and will, of course, still be able to choose to switch to the newest, blue version if you decide to. We’re sorry this may affect your use of the Forum. Our priority, though, has to be the security of the site.

Facebook login

Facebook is making changes to the way Facebook log-in works in April. At this time we’ve taken the decision to remove the ability to log into the Forum via Facebook.

Let us know if you have any questions.

MSE Forum Team.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 12
    • Daydreamers
    • By Daydreamers 6th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    Daydreamers
    I use the green skin and would prefer to keep using it.
    Last edited by Daydreamers; 06-04-2018 at 6:42 PM. Reason: Apostrophes
    GC Challenge March £55.48/£200
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 6th Apr 18, 9:47 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 3,324 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    The blue version is simply unreadable by my eyes; like 10% of the male population I have colour-deficient eyesight. Unfortunately I don't believe it can be recognised as a disability otherwise we could use the disability discrimination act to get what we want and need.
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    As much as I dislike the blue skin, it is nonsense to think that the disability discrimination act could be used to get MSE to do anything. It simply would not apply to this site, or just about anything they do. If MSE wanted lime green text on a purple background, they could have it (not a design suggestion) all we could do is vote with our virtual feet and not visit the site again.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 6th Apr 18, 10:51 PM
    • 10,066 Posts
    • 7,552 Thanks
    GunJack
    Original green skin please, that blue/white one is carp, be it on a desktop, laptop, tablet or phone - it just doesn't work

If the MSE team values long-standing members being part of the community, it will find a way to keep the green skin, along with many, many highly respected members of the community.

Other forums I am a member of can keep up with security without messing with the layout/view/skins etc., so come on MSE, I rather like hanging around in here, so don't wreck it
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 9th Apr 18, 9:52 AM
    • 3,077 Posts
    • 1,591 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    I reverted back to the green skin as soon as possible after the silly change. The new version is obviously meant to favour mobile phones and tablets and only occupies the centre third of a p.c. monitor screen?
    The green skin and original version are far more user friendly (for me!) much more pleasing to the eye and fills the whole screen width.
    PLEASE don't remove the option.
    Will MSE ignore the views expressed on the now 12 pages? - probably.
    Last edited by oldagetraveller; 09-04-2018 at 9:54 AM.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Apr 18, 10:21 AM
    • 34,179 Posts
    • 126,861 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I reverted back to the green skin as soon as possible after the silly change. The new version is obviously meant to favour mobile phones and tablets and only occupies the centre third of a p.c. monitor screen?
    The green skin and original version are far more user friendly (for me!) much more pleasing to the eye and fills the whole screen width.
    PLEASE don't remove the option.
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    Don't worry...........
    The latest green skin is going to be kept. It's the older skins that are going.

There will then only be two skins available...... the new blue one and the latest green one (New Masthead, Fixed Width).

Re. the blue being suitable for mobiles/tables, I only use a tablet, and I find the blue one chops the right-hand side of posts off.

For that and other reasons, like you, I soon went back to the green. If some things are a bit small, it's easy enough to enlarge it with a two finger swipe.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • zolablue25
    • By zolablue25 9th Apr 18, 2:47 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    zolablue25
    Keep it green!
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 9th Apr 18, 3:15 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    And stretchy ....
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 10th Apr 18, 8:16 AM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 4,929 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    Given that MSE Andrea has already mentioned that there are 'only' about 1000 of us who still use the older skins (including stretchy), I don't think 12 pages (220+ posts) will make the slightest difference.

Newer users don't have the opportunity to use the older options, so don't know what they're missing, and those of us who can't adapt are of little use anyway.

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Apr 18, 1:03 PM
    • 24,771 Posts
    • 92,004 Thanks
    Davesnave

those of us who can't adapt are of little use anyway.
    Originally posted by VoucherMan
    T'was always thus.

Darwinism in action.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    • 34,179 Posts
    • 126,861 Thanks
    Pyxis
    T'was always thus.

Darwinism in action.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Well, maybe!

But sometimes some people knows what they likes, and they likes what they knows, and sometimes they're right!

Look at the way food advice goes around in circles, and education methods go around in circles!
    Sometimes new things are better, sometimes they ain't!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Apr 18, 5:41 PM
    • 24,771 Posts
    • 92,004 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Sometimes new things are better, sometimes they ain't!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Ah, well, I didn't make any judgements about 'better.' I'm on green too.

But even if the Forum changed to pink with yellow spots, like Mr Blobby, I'd adapt to it.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • SuperMoose
    • By SuperMoose 11th Apr 18, 10:51 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    SuperMoose
    But even if the Forum changed to pink with yellow spots, like Mr Blobby, I'd adapt to it.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Don't give them any ideas
    Please put out food and water for the birds
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 12th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 11,034 Thanks
    Frogletina
    My forum skin has now changed - I have the green with fixed width, but I am missing the stretchy one.

I had just 4 options to choose from when I checked earlier today (my preferred one has already gone), so I knew the change was imminent

frogletina

I now have 3 open tabs with 3 different forum styles, will not close them yet...
    Last edited by Frogletina; 12-04-2018 at 4:06 PM.
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64 SPC 10 #441 £1164.13
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 34,179 Posts
    • 126,861 Thanks
    Pyxis
    My forum skin has now changed - I have the green with fixed width, but I am missing the stretchy one.

I had just 4 options to choose from when I checked earlier today (my preferred one has already gone), so I knew the change was imminent

frogletina

I now have 3 open tabs with 3 different forum styles, will not close them yet...
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    That was probably why the forum was soooooo slooooooow yesterday.

Interesting that there are still 4 options, though... apart from the green fixed and the blue one, what are the other two?

I've only got three options in my user cp.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 12th Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 11,034 Thanks
    Frogletina
    That was probably why the forum was soooooo slooooooow yesterday.

Interesting that there are still 4 options, though... apart from the green fixed and the blue one, what are the other two?

I've only got three options in my user cp.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I only have two options now - green fixed width and blue.

The other ones I had earlier today were old style, fixed width - and new mast head, stretchy green.

I used to use the new masthead, stretchy green, less bright. That had gone this morning

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64 SPC 10 #441 £1164.13
    • By 2010 12th Apr 18, 4:53 PM
    • 4,187 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    Green and stretchy preferred.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 12th Apr 18, 5:12 PM
    • 22,640 Posts
    • 56,792 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    I now have half a page of white.

Oh well.

Bring back stretchy, bring back stretchy (I know they won't, I'm only saying it to stir up feeling and get MSE Andrea to respond!)
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real in 2018

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 12th Apr 18, 5:20 PM
    • 3,419 Posts
    • 13,120 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    I have gone up to 175% for the zoom level on my monitor to get rid of the white borders now that 'stretchy' has gone.

Who has a square screen these days anyway? surely they are all oblong.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 80.2
    Total so far - 1161.5
    • _shel
    • By _shel 12th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 1,182 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    _shel
    I only have 2 available, old and latest version. I'm on old and it's still the same
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 12th Apr 18, 6:16 PM
    • 22,640 Posts
    • 56,792 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Got rid of my white space courtesy of a Chrome extension mentioned on another thread
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real in 2018

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,014Posts Today

6,622Users online

Martin's Twitter