Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 28th Mar 18, 1:37 AM
    • 2,446Posts
    • 1,625Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    Anyone take their bikes onto trains for travelling
    • 28th Mar 18, 1:37 AM
    Anyone take their bikes onto trains for travelling 28th Mar 18 at 1:37 AM
    I'm curious about people's experience taking their bikes on the train which seems a perfect topic for a forum section on public transport and cycling.

I've been trying to get my bike booked on a train today but had to give up and I find it very difficult to even check for free bike slots specifically with Scotrail and Virgin East Coast. The Scotrail site does seem to show availability but only when you go all the way through to seat reservations and even then I'm not sure that information is correct.

Virgin East Coast don't seem to show any information at all about bike availability so I got in touch with them and they claimed every train I asked about in May and July was fully booked for bikes which I also find hard to believe.

I did also try the Trainline which I know isn't recommended to use in general to see if they'd perhaps show more information about bike availability but they don't seem to show anything.

I'm wondering if there's a better way to do it or if going through the operator's website is as good as it gets.

John
Page 2
    • gazzak
    • By gazzak 10th Apr 18, 2:48 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    gazzak
    Are you going via London? The Underground is another kettle of fish, there's no booking, but bikes are not allowed on the deep tunnels, and not allowed during the rush hour.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    As quoted, bikes are not allowed on rush hour trains, (fold ups are fine). However I used to take my mountain bike from North Harrow to Watford on the Metropolitan line during rush hour which is basically the opposite way to all rush hour traffic in the morning. There used to be the odd person on my rush hour train but it was basically empty. The staff let me on to the platform every day as they knew there would be nobody on it.

This all ended one day when a different member of staff decided they were sticking to the rules no matter what!
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 10th Apr 18, 6:56 PM
    • 8,151 Posts
    • 5,901 Thanks
    esuhl
    If they want to use public transport why can t they be sensible and get the suitable machine for loading on trains..
    Originally posted by House Martin
    The thing about public transport is... you have to share your space with other people, their bikes, their luggage, their screaming babies, buggies, wheelchairs, dogs and the great unwashed.

If you want to travel in your own private space, why can't you be sensible and get a suitable machine: a car.

Don't be that grumpy tutting person that gives all train passengers a bad name.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,895Posts Today

4,459Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin