Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrsyardbroom
    • By mrsyardbroom 27th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 1,647Posts
    • 2,778Thanks
    mrsyardbroom
    Jury service
    • 27th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    Jury service 27th Mar 18 at 8:46 PM
    I'm not sure where to post this thread but this seems to be the best place. I have been called for jury service but I don't know where to turn to for help with my disabled husband. He is physically disabled and he has aspergers syndrome. I normally care for him 24/7. I have asked to be excused the jury service but I don't know what to do if they refuse. My husband won't have a carer in the house as he can't cope with strangers coming in so what on earth do I do? We also have two dogs which he won't be able to cope with on his own so I will have to pay for someone to look after them. There was no mention of helping out with this kind of expense. Has anyone had any experience of jury service and what help they give? It's not just the money it's getting counselling to try and help my husband come to terms with having a carer and where to actually find a carer at short notice. Also what happens if you arrange a carer and then you don't have to attend the court. Presumably you would still have to pay out for the care but the court wouldn't pay you. It seems we may find ourselves paying out a lot of money and not getting anything back.
Page 2
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 9th Apr 18, 3:15 PM
    • 8,894 Posts
    • 25,437 Thanks
    CKhalvashi
    He said they were given a voucher , which could be spent on a daily coffee or a meal of your choice, but the travel allowance was just the price of a return bus ticket, so you used the bus and walked (ok in nice weather) or parked nearby and put the money towards parking, which you couldn't predict as there was no way of knowing whether you would be staying for one or several hours. (It was summer so he used the bus.)
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I bought lunch in a small cafe owned by a French guy when I was on jury service a few years ago.

I had to pay it from my own pocket, but had no problems getting the costs back from the court. Lunch at a smaller, locally owned business, even in a city centre came up to about a fiver a day.

I also car shared with someone going in a similar direction at similar times. Apparently I could have claimed the full payment, but only asked for half then split it depending on whose fuel had been used as it seemed a much fairer use of the courts money.

I served IIRC 4 days over the 2 weeks and not sitting on a trial.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 12th Apr 18, 12:45 AM
    • 9,134 Posts
    • 5,450 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I've only ever been to a court when our teenage son was asked to be a police witness for their trying to stop a stolen car and the son needed a chaperone.

In the waiting area I was approached by a man awaiting his court hearing, who told me how to con Social Services into refurnishing your downstairs rooms by hiding things upstairs or providing new beds by hiding theirs at a friend's house. I hope they have become wise to this ploy, but think freebies have now stopped, nyway.
    • HellsGranny
    • By HellsGranny 3rd May 18, 5:48 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    HellsGranny
    I have been. called twice for JS. First time I was excused as it would have interfered with my Nursing Finals (pre University) and second time as I am now disabled. My son was called lastyear and was excused due to his Caring commitments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,620Posts Today

4,828Users online

Martin's Twitter