Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ryanturner21
    • By ryanturner21 27th Mar 18, 4:19 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ryanturner21
    Section 157, Right To Manage and buying Freehold
    • 27th Mar 18, 4:19 PM
    Section 157, Right To Manage and buying Freehold 27th Mar 18 at 4:19 PM
    I own a flat in Dorset which is leasehold. I am about to start the right to manage process with 2 other owners in my block of 4 flats with a RTM company. It is currently owned and run by Magna Housing Assosiation.

I may look to buying the freehold from magna housing to the block in the future.

The flats all have a section 157 imposed on them (can only sell to someone with connections to the area)

The descision is made by magna housing themselves.

Can I get rid of the section 157 myself if I eventually buy the freehold? And could I possibly get rid of any clauses on the lease when I buy the freehold?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 27th Mar 18, 5:05 PM
    • 44,124 Posts
    • 52,316 Thanks
    G_M
    • 27th Mar 18, 5:05 PM
    • 27th Mar 18, 5:05 PM

The flats all have a section 157 imposed on them (can only sell to someone with connections to the area)

The descision is made by magna housing themselves.

Can I get rid of the section 157 myself if I eventually buy the freehold? And could I possibly get rid of any clauses on the lease when I buy the freehold?
    Originally posted by ryanturner21
    1) Maybe. Was it imposed by the freeholder or the local authority?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/68/section/157

2) Yes. Provided all the leaseholders and freeholder, agree.
    • ryanturner21
    • By ryanturner21 17th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ryanturner21
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    Thanks
    • 17th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    Thanks for your response, the section 157 was imposed by the housing association and they have said they have coted on a few occasions wether to remove it and have voted not to.
    However, if we became freeholders could we vote to remove it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

3,426Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin