Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 27th Mar 18, 3:55 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 5Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    MMD Should I stop donating to disgraced charities?
    • 27th Mar 18, 3:55 PM
    MMD Should I stop donating to disgraced charities? 27th Mar 18 at 3:55 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I've always tried to give as much as I can to charity, but since the recent scandals I've been wondering whether I should boycott organisations that have admitted wrongdoing - or should I just carry on donating as the money will help people overall?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
Page 3
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 30th Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 26,290 Posts
    • 35,488 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    Considering that's from 2011 there are a lot of very wealthy people on there.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • crmism
    • By crmism 30th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    crmism
    Charity
    I think you should give the defaulting charities a wide berth for the time being. It will be an instructive lesson for them to get their house in order. Meanwhile, why not donate to small charities local to you? They are likely to make better use of the money than so many larger organizations, which spend a fair percentage on administration costs, including the salaries of highly-paid executives.

My only word of caution is that you satisfy yourself that the money is being spent properly and in accordance with the charity's rules - don't expect the Charity Commission to police all organizations, or right wrongs. One small charity I dealt with was using donations to line the pockets of the "volunteers" and only when I threatened to take the matter to my MP did the Charity Commission act.
    • shehen23
    • By shehen23 31st Mar 18, 11:55 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    shehen23
    All Depends
    If you're worried about the Charity because the people involved might have a different political view than you or there might be some general ethical concerns you have to ask yourself, will the money I donate go to the cause I support? If it does then you need to put aside your own personal feelings for the sake of the people/animals/ whatever you want to support.
    However, if there is a concern that the money that is donated is being subverted to something you don't support (like prostituting vulnerable women etc) then maybe you need to look around at an alternative Charity to donate to
    • KittyBear
    • By KittyBear 2nd Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KittyBear
    Don't be put of from helping, just do some research about your chosen charity. Last year I raised over £1,000 for a children's charity, I met with them to find out how the money will be spent. Or just stick to local fund raising or buying food and other supplies for homeless people in your area, so you know your money is helping.
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 2nd Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 8,204 Posts
    • 12,931 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    I've worked for a well known national charity and I've seen where spending and donations go. My mother volunteered at a well known animal charity at their head office and left after a few days.

I only give to small local charities which are run by volunteers so that I know that all of my donation goes directly to the cause.
    • LunaaLouuby
    • By LunaaLouuby 5th Apr 18, 5:18 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    LunaaLouuby
    We also generally stick with local charities, I find the money/donations go further and you can actually see the impact it has.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 5th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 11,203 Posts
    • 24,016 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    It does not sit well with me that many charities run like a profit making business.

Many of them are in lovely buildings in expensive areas, the staff are very well paid, some of which have credit cards, and money is wasted needlessly.

Why does a charity need to have a deep carpeted boardroom with custom made curtains and serve tea from a silver tea set for example as one I knew of.
    • john539
    • By john539 6th Apr 18, 12:22 AM
    • 14,761 Posts
    • 10,441 Thanks
    john539
    I've always tried to give as much as I can to charity, but since the recent scandals I've been wondering whether I should boycott organisations that have admitted wrongdoing - or should I just carry on donating as the money will help people overall?
    Originally posted by MSE Naomi
    Fake news, they are not scandals !

Funny how these "scandals" have disappeared off the news & news cycle has moved onto something else.
    • Topcat1982
    • By Topcat1982 12th Apr 18, 5:28 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    Topcat1982
    Fake news, they are not scandals !

Funny how these "scandals" have disappeared off the news & news cycle has moved onto something else.
    Originally posted by john539
    Are you being serious? Why would Oxfam admit to it and lose all their donations?
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 13th Apr 18, 1:02 AM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 2,708 Thanks
    badmemory
    Why would a charity admit to it and lose all their donations?
    Originally posted by Topcat1982
    Of course they wouldn't. They just hope that nothing even worse comes out of the woodwork.
    • DevilsAdvocate1
    • By DevilsAdvocate1 16th Apr 18, 8:59 AM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    DevilsAdvocate1
    I've started giving to very local situations where I know my will really help. For example, I gave to a woman called Melanie Hartshorn who needed life saving surgery that she could not get in this country. This way I know my money is really helping and also I'm not going to get cold calls asking for more and more money.
    • savvy
    • By savvy 16th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 29,869 Posts
    • 45,547 Thanks
    savvy
    Volunteering in animal rescue, I see a LOT of small rescues that are desperate for funds for operations, neutering, behavioural work and transportation for rehoming etc, etc. The small ones often get overlooked and in my mind work much harder to raise funds for themselves, so that's where my charity budget goes, and then a monthly docation to our local air ambulance. I keep well away from the larger ones that draw more attention and have CEO's (sorry just does not make sense to me!!).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,524Posts Today

8,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin