Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • yeke
    • By yeke 26th Mar 18, 11:13 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 1Thanks
    yeke
    Equita and Take formal notice
    • 26th Mar 18, 11:13 PM
    Equita and Take formal notice 26th Mar 18 at 11:13 PM
    I am worried about giving too much detail about my situation ( because I think they are not many people in my situation) and because of the warning that Equita people are reading the posts here as well. The details below is a short and incomplete summary of my case.

I have received from Equita a Take formal notice letter for unpaid parking charge from ParkingEye. I don't remember any unpaid parking charge ( I would normally pay them). The letter is not telling me where and when the unpaid charge come from.
    My question is should I do something or ignore it? Is this letter to be taken as first notice and should I enquire about the charges? Am I going to awake a sleeping dog?

In the last years I have changed my address many times ( and have only recently updated DVLA). So probably that is the reason that I have not received anything previously.

Anyway could I ask some help in private? I am not sure if that is possible in a forum environment.
    So all help is appreciated.
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 26th Mar 18, 11:25 PM
    • 4,486 Posts
    • 5,871 Thanks
    waamo
    • 26th Mar 18, 11:25 PM
    Equita are the bully boys of Parking Eye. They tend to step in when PE have a really weak case that is unlikely to be taken to court.

We see this a lot. Equita seem to huff and puff and not do much else.
    This space for hire.
    • yeke
    • By yeke 26th Mar 18, 11:25 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    yeke
    Just to be clear. In the last week I have read many threads here and the website where referrals are made to.
    My question is not previously discussed, because all other people know from where and when they have a dispute with PE. So how and when should I try to find out about the reason for the claim made on me?
    Thanks for reading the post.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 26th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    • 9,983 Posts
    • 10,282 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 26th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 11:27 PM
    Sorry, you won't always get good help 'in private'.

Now that you have asked for private help, be wary of anyone that offers it.

As you almost said, the private parking companies trawl these forums, and you may well get a PM from someone who doesn't have your best interests at heart.

I would guess that your situation is nowhere near as unique as you are making out.

Tell us more. As long as you do not tell us exact times, names or give clues to the driver's identity, you should be alright.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 26th Mar 18, 11:28 PM
    • 4,486 Posts
    • 5,871 Thanks
    waamo
    • 26th Mar 18, 11:28 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 11:28 PM
    Personally I would ignore it. Unless you get a letter before claim I wouldn't bother responding. As I said Equita step in when PE are uncertain of their case.
    This space for hire.
    • yeke
    • By yeke 26th Mar 18, 11:41 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    yeke
    • 26th Mar 18, 11:41 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 11:41 PM
    Thanks Waamo and KeithP.

I have received multiple letters on the same day and with different references.I don't know from/for which year and which place they are claiming. So I have no idea if I can defend myself against the claims without knowing the details.This is bothering me more: where did I get all these fines?
    Should I see this letter as a first notice and engage ( which I am not planning to do after reading your posts) or wait and see for a follow up letter?

For private help I wanted to email a copy of one of the letters.but only to a few people with a good track record on this website.

In conclusion: I will ignore the letters and come back if I receive further correspondence.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 26th Mar 18, 11:48 PM
    • 19,726 Posts
    • 24,991 Thanks
    Redx
    • 26th Mar 18, 11:48 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 11:48 PM
    its a formal LBC for each matter that will give you the historical details you seek (under the new PaP rules)

if an MCOL was to arrive, the same applies, it should have the Particulars Of Claim on there including historical information

as mentioned above, treat them as simply a debt collector working for PE and IGNORE, come nack if you get an LBC or an MCOL in the post

the statute of 6 years applies here , so they "time out" at that point as an MCOL is not possible after 6 years
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 27th Mar 18, 12:32 AM
    • 62,736 Posts
    • 75,681 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 27th Mar 18, 12:32 AM
    • 27th Mar 18, 12:32 AM
    Anyway could I ask some help in private? I am not sure if that is possible in a forum environment.
    If anyone now sends you a pm offering to help, decline it. Newbies do not realise you could open yourself up to trusting a person whose agenda is a million miles away from ours.

Are you in Scotland?

Do the letters say which locations they are talking about, maybe Aldi (PE never sue re Aldi sites).
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 27th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 10,254 Posts
    • 10,145 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 27th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 27th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Computersaysno
    • By Computersaysno 27th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    Computersaysno
    WTF is a Take Formal notice letter...never heard of such a thing....
    Welcome to the world of 'Protect the brand at the cost of free speech'
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 27th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 3,245 Posts
    • 5,007 Thanks
    fisherjim
    WTF is a Take Formal notice letter...never heard of such a thing....
    Originally posted by Computersaysno
    It's Muppet speak for "be afraid be very afraid"!
    • yeke
    • By yeke 27th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    yeke
    Thanks everybody.

Coupon-mad: No, I am in England, and I don't know which dates and which places the events have occurred.

The Deep: I can't complain to any MP, as I don't know which town we are talking ( I moved quite often in England in the last 6 years)

The letter starts with : TAKE FORMAL NOTICE
    • The Slithy Tove
    • By The Slithy Tove 27th Mar 18, 8:44 PM
    • 3,430 Posts
    • 5,034 Thanks
    The Slithy Tove
    The letter starts with : TAKE FORMAL NOTICE
    Originally posted by yeke
    ...which has no meaning whatsoever. Just scare tactics.

As previously stated, PE tend to use Equita (another company of Capita's) when they can't/won't take it to court. Meaning, ignore them all, and you're probably safe.
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 27th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 3,559 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    " I can't complain to any MP, as I don't know which town we are talking ( I moved quite often in England in the last 6 years)"

pick 3/4 and / or complain to them all

Ralph
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 27th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 7,690 Posts
    • 6,243 Thanks
    daveyjp
    You always contact your local MP, regardless of where an event took place.
    • yeke
    • By yeke 27th Mar 18, 11:05 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    yeke
    Okey, write an email to my local MP is on my to do list. Thanks for the reminder.

Ignore is the consensus advice as I can see. Also thanks to all the different people who have responded. I will ignore and keep you updated after .? weeks.

New question: how many weeks later would you expect to receive a follow up writing from PE/Equita? So after how many weeks it is safe to assume that ignoring was a good decision.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 27th Mar 18, 11:07 PM
    • 62,736 Posts
    • 75,681 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Six years is how long anyone (individual or company) has to take someone to small claims. This is nothing special for parking firms, it's the limitation time for all civil claims in England.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 27th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 9,983 Posts
    • 10,282 Thanks
    KeithP
    Only after 312 weeks from the incident date is it safe to assume that you are untouchable.
    Last edited by KeithP; 27-03-2018 at 11:42 PM.
    • yeke
    • By yeke 10th Apr 18, 5:07 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    yeke
    To update the people who are giving me advice.

I have received another Take Formal Notice letter from Equita. I presume similar advice (ignore) is still the case?
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 10th Apr 18, 5:12 PM
    • 3,767 Posts
    • 4,568 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Yes, of course.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

81Posts Today

1,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm v moved by many of ur comments on #10Things tonight. Very thankful it was seen in the spirit it was meant. I'm? https://t.co/JaeoPqIczM

• RT @MartinSLewis: Many asking about the free finanacial education textbook for schools - it's out in a couple of weeks - here's info https:?

• RT @psychotherapyMM: @MartinSLewis ?there?s a sacrifice? Most valuable point tonight. Success (however that looks) does not come easy. Nobo?

• Follow Martin