Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 26th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    • 278Posts
    • 532Thanks
    pidge04
    I want to believe I can do this!
    • 26th Mar 18, 6:18 PM
    I want to believe I can do this! 26th Mar 18 at 6:18 PM
    Is this how I start a diary? I don't know whether anyone would want to read it but I hope it will keep me focussed and on track to becoming debt free. I am inspired by the diaries I've read here and would welcome advice when I get started.
Page 10
    • raldo
    • By raldo 3rd Aug 18, 10:41 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    raldo
    You are doing really well... its a great feeling being able to change what you owe on here... cant wait to be able to do that one day!
    Try not to worry too much and if you are unsure about having enough to see you through to the end of the month could you not hold back on some of the wage you are getting and if you need it you have it and if its still there at the end of the month you can then pay it off the debt? x
    Total Debts Outstanding @ 14.07.18 35451
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 4th Aug 18, 8:08 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    pidge04
    Thank you Raldo. I could definitely do that and no doubt that is what I will end up doing. I had my heart set on paying off one debt but it probably will not be possible this month but hopefully next month. I need to be more patient with myself!
    CC1 2400/549 CC2 3000/2299 CC3 600/448 LOAN 13,000/5462
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 4th Aug 18, 10:14 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    Hey Pidge04, sorry to hear you're having a tough day.

Take a deep breathe, step back and look at how you've come-you're paying debt off every month-that is one amazing achievement! You are smashing this, even if it's not at the rate you want to see the number go down-you are doing this!

It's so frustrating when you want things paid off quicker, but can't. Although, you've got to remember it will be paid and every single 1p paid towards any debt is a huge achievement.

You are huge steps ahead of those who haven't even had their LBM yet...you are doing amazingly, you had your LBM and you're smashing this debt as much as possible without getting yourself into more debt-you really should be proud of yourself, We are proud of you!

Everyone has bad days (even when not paying debt) we are human and I'd actually be worried if you never had a bad day ;-)

What are your plans for today?

Can you do one job for me (if you can)? Take a step back and look at all the debt you've paid off, times that by 2 and put that next to the debt you've got left to pay and see what position you could of been in of you hadn't of starter your journey.

One penny at a time, one day at a time, one step at a time.

I really hope your day improves

Keep smiling-it's all we can do...this isn't forever (even though it may feel like it)

C x
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 5th Aug 18, 4:58 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    pidge04
    Thank you so much 'Debtnomoreplease' - that really helped a lot.

I am out of my slump today. I figure that I was in the very fortunate position on Friday to pay off in a week what I normally pay off in a month and so that I should be extremely grateful.

I will use my extra income to help through the month and I will be grateful that I am able to do that.

We swam in the sea today and it was joyous and it was free! I have a lot to be thankful for and I am going in the right direction.

I think it has been 7 or 8 months now that I have not used a credit card. I think I have between 3000-4000 less debt than I had at the start of the year.

Thank you for the wonderful support to be found here.
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 6th Aug 18, 11:04 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    Hey, thrilled to hear you're feeling brighter and had a lovely day in the sea-the free things in life truly are amazing!

See-fabulous progress-if you hadn't of had your LBM you could be looking at an extra 4000+ debt.

Keep you chin up and grab the free things in life with both hands-they are the things that count...they tend to become m memories in the heart for ever.
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 8th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    pidge04
    In a couple of months, I will hopefully be in a position to start to try and reduce my overdrafts (1 at 1000 and 2 at 750). I have always lived right up to my overdraft limit unfortunately. How have you tackled your overdrafts? I worry that if I say I will pay off 100 a month, for example, by the end of the month I will just dip into that 100. Hopefully not, hopefully I can be disciplined. Is it best to pay the 100 for example into a savings account and then pay it off the overdraft every month? Any tips or advice gratefully received.
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 8th Aug 18, 9:50 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    pidge04
    My original plan had been to start up a training side line and then hopefully I would be able to pay the overdrafts back in chunks at a time. So I need to get proactive on that front.
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 8th Aug 18, 11:26 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    Morning Pidge, how are you?

My overdraft was somewhat a nightmare which cost me MANY sleepless nights and ALOT of money! Thankfully I found this site or I'd of left it until last to deal with...which could of been a complete disaster!

What I didn't realise (because I took the money as 'mine' and didn't read anything about them!) was that the overdraft is repayable at any time with no or very little notice given.
    Mine was twice my wage, so if one day they decide to take it back (they have every right-wasn't my money) id of been in an even more dire situation.

I decided it had to be cleared ASAP with no excuses-I could not have risked it being taken away and me not having two months wages! I don't believe it happens often, but it has and does happen. So I left my credit cards to minimum payments etc and pushed every penny towards my overdraft, I reduced it monthly...trust me it's scary, but being scared is what pushed me to clear it! Worked so much overtime by body didn't feel like it belonged to me-ha ha! And just lived and bought the most basic things possible. Once I'd paid that off I could sleep a lot better at night, as the rest of my debt was on 0% credit cards etc.

It really is an amazing feeling clearing your overdraft.

Set yourself a realistic budget to pay it off, or you'll end up in more debt by borrowing more of you cant afford to live. If 100 feels too much, set it at 50.

I'm not saying all this to scare you, far from it-I'm so grateful to those people who told me on here about it being payable back at any time or I'd probably still have my overdraft and still be in it.

Do you mean you have one OD of 1000 and two seperate ones at 750 or your second one is 750?

Take Care
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 8th Aug 18, 11:29 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    P.S-training side line sounds a fabulous to boost your income...thats the only way to clear your overdraft...making as much extra money as possible, but remember it's not forever.
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 9th Aug 18, 9:14 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    pidge04
    Morning Pidge, how are you?

My overdraft was somewhat a nightmare which cost me MANY sleepless nights and ALOT of money! Thankfully I found this site or I'd of left it until last to deal with...which could of been a complete disaster!

What I didn't realise (because I took the money as 'mine' and didn't read anything about them!) was that the overdraft is repayable at any time with no or very little notice given.
    Mine was twice my wage, so if one day they decide to take it back (they have every right-wasn't my money) id of been in an even more dire situation.

I decided it had to be cleared ASAP with no excuses-I could not have risked it being taken away and me not having two months wages! I don't believe it happens often, but it has and does happen. So I left my credit cards to minimum payments etc and pushed every penny towards my overdraft, I reduced it monthly...trust me it's scary, but being scared is what pushed me to clear it! Worked so much overtime by body didn't feel like it belonged to me-ha ha! And just lived and bought the most basic things possible. Once I'd paid that off I could sleep a lot better at night, as the rest of my debt was on 0% credit cards etc.

It really is an amazing feeling clearing your overdraft.

Set yourself a realistic budget to pay it off, or you'll end up in more debt by borrowing more of you cant afford to live. If 100 feels too much, set it at 50.

I'm not saying all this to scare you, far from it-I'm so grateful to those people who told me on here about it being payable back at any time or I'd probably still have my overdraft and still be in it.

Do you mean you have one OD of 1000 and two seperate ones at 750 or your second one is 750?

Take Care
    Originally posted by Debtnomoreplease
    Thank you again! I have 2 bank accounts - one with a 1000 limit and one with a 750 limit. I did not know that about overdrafts scary stuff. I better tackle them next.
    • efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 9th Aug 18, 9:32 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    efes shareholder
    its quite a novel feeling , seeing your money in your account with - before it

Mine too was above my monthly wage , and I still have a 2k overdraft available to me ( only the first 250 is without fee)

I should really reduce this as I no longer use it but mentally its nice to know the facility is there , on another note though if my card got cloned there is also lots of spending power available too
    • ftbwannabe
    • By ftbwannabe 9th Aug 18, 11:16 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    ftbwannabe
    A few years back my bank made me reduce my overdraft, just when I was relying on it most (partner was out of work). They cut it by 75 a month until it was gone - better than having to pay it all in one go but still a nightmare. I ended up spending more on cards to cope - ugh.
    A couple of years later I applied for another overdraft, got it, & was always at the limit again. How did I not learn?
    I'd recommend including it alongside your credit cards in your plan to reduce debt, not necessarily as a priority, but remember you're probably paying interest on it, too.
    My bank let me reduce mine gradually, I rang them periodically & asked them to bring my limit down. I keep a small one in case I need cash not a credit card - but I don't use it and in the long term, once I've got rid of these cards & living in the black is normal (! imagine!) I will close it down.

Have a great day :-)
    Debt Free Wannabe since 1st August 18
    saving for deposit 202.78/5000
    CC1: 100.83/8,839.83 | CC2: 79.47/1079.23 | CC3: 182.92/182.92 | CC4 100/2446.33 CC5 0/4280
    Student Loan 1: 83.28/656.92 Student Loan 2: 25.51/808.60
    Total Repayments: 572.01/17,472 | Outstanding Debt: 1689.99
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 9th Aug 18, 10:19 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    pidge04
    Thank you so much for insights on overdrafts. Yes, it must be amazing to see + on your balance!
    I remembered today that I did pay off an overdraft when I left university by paying it back month after month. So I can do it again.
    I want to come up with my next plan and sharpen my focus seeing as one credit card will be paid off shortly.
    I need to get seriously proactive about looking for extra work/income in the coming months. Must do this.
    Saying that though, I had to give my work to someone else today. I had a bad headache and slept quite a bit of the day. Feel very weak. Hopefully back to business tomorrow after a good night!!!8217;s kip.
    I will be able to pay off 130 tomorrow. I love changing (lowering) the numbers on my signature! Find that quite addictive!
    All the best everyone.
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 9th Aug 18, 10:23 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    pidge04
    Yes ftbwannabe, I am paying 20 a month approximately for my overdrafts. Will be great to eliminate that every month from my outgoings.
    Thanks so much for the comments about overdrafts ... just what I needed to jolt me into action.
    This forum is a lifesaver to be honest.
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 9th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    pidge04
    Ah, forgot to say that I am a couple of hundred quid away from my debt being under 10,000. Still an enormous sum of money but better than it was at the start of this year.
    • ftbwannabe
    • By ftbwannabe 9th Aug 18, 11:43 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    ftbwannabe
    Nearly under 10k - that's fantastic! I can't wait to say the same (but I'll be a while). Good on you, keep going...
    Debt Free Wannabe since 1st August 18
    saving for deposit 202.78/5000
    CC1: 100.83/8,839.83 | CC2: 79.47/1079.23 | CC3: 182.92/182.92 | CC4 100/2446.33 CC5 0/4280
    Student Loan 1: 83.28/656.92 Student Loan 2: 25.51/808.60
    Total Repayments: 572.01/17,472 | Outstanding Debt: 1689.99
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 10th Aug 18, 7:53 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 608 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Re: overdrafts, what I did was to pay off the whole lot with a 0% credit card, which I then paid off by DD within the 0% period. Personally I am much better with set payments than a flexible OD - I tried paying it off monthly but any unexpected expenses would take me back to square one. However I don't overspend on CCs, just my current account, so it all depends on what works for you.

I think the money transfer fee was 4% but my OD was about 15% so a big saving on interest charges.

Another option would be to open a basic current account for spending and lock down your other accounts so the only money sitting there is OD repayments.
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 10th Aug 18, 9:16 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    pidge04
    Thank you GlendaSugarBean. I had no idea that could be done.

Just paid 123 off credit card so that makes it 599. Good to see it is in the 500s now!

Really want to find some time this weekend to read other diaries, to come up with a new plan and to apply for extra work for the Autumn.
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 10th Aug 18, 12:00 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    pidge04
    I had 10 mins to myself so I jotted down some plans in my money notebook. Felt better almost instantly!

Everything I have spare (ha, ha!) will go onto the 599 credit card and I will get that paid off ASAP.

As soon as that is done, I will transfer the 2299 credit card.

I will apply for weekend work in a shop hopefully, organise the training sideline business and advertise for babysitting work. I will use that money to pay off my credit card. Will take a year if I pay 200 a month.

I will do a new SOA for my projected outgoings for the Autumn months.

I will continue to pay 90 off the 3rd credit card (balance is 423 I think). That will be gone around November/December.

When I do my new SOA, I will look to see how much I can throw at my overdrafts every month.

When my 599 credit card is at zero, I will add my 2 overdraft figures to my signature here.

In December I will be able to reduce my car payment hopefully.
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 10th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    Working Mum
    Hi PIdge04,
    You are doing really well!

I had a really stubborn store-card which had a balance of around 600 for ages - I read on here about a "100 square" - where you divide your debt into 1% chunks and mark each one off as you make a payment - it is easier finding 6 here and there!! It helped me re-position the debt and I am now over 30% of this debt paid in a couple of months.

Good luck with your continued debt busting!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

7Posts Today

3,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin