Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MarkW1986
    • By MarkW1986 26th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MarkW1986
    Help? VWFS incorrect excess mileage fee
    • 26th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    Help? VWFS incorrect excess mileage fee 26th Mar 18 at 6:07 PM
    Hi,

I recently VTíd a PCP which I had through VWFS. I was in the final year so went ahead, filled out and emailed the template across to go ahead with VT.

BCA agents came to my home address, inspected and collected the car. I received a BCA report which stated no damage and a note of mileage on collection.

I have since received an end of contract invoice from VWFS claiming an excess mileage fee of nearly £3k. The mileage they are claiming I had done is roughly 30,000 miles more than the car had on the clock. I have complained to VWFS and have went to citizens advice/ waiting for a solicitor to contact me.

Has anybody had similar experiences of this and is it possible for me to take this further as this is not only immoral, but also illegal?

Thanks in advance
    MarkW1986
Page 1
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 26th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 26th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    If the mileage on the collection sheet was correct can you not photo-copy your copy of the paperwork and take it from there,i presume you checked that the person collecting the car had the right mileage on the sheet.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 26th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 11,607 Posts
    • 8,393 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 26th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    Do you have proof of the mileage of the car when it was collected. It sounds to me like a simple admin mistake to me so instead of claiming illegality why not speak to the finance company about it first. In fact this would've been the first thing most people would've done before posting on an online forum.
    • MarkW1986
    • By MarkW1986 26th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarkW1986
    • 26th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Yes I have evidence of the mileage at collection. I made the complaint over a week ago to VWFS. They!!!8217;re stating it is 30,000 mile more than what is reported.

I!!!8217;m hoping it is a clerical error and I!!!8217;m waiting on clarification from VWFS.

I!!!8217;ve came to this forum in the event that they were to pursue, to see if it!!!8217;s occurred before.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 26th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    • 18,361 Posts
    • 16,588 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 26th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 9:43 PM
    I wonder...

What mileage had you done, and what mileage are they claiming?

Was it, by any chance, about 50,000 and they're saying 80,000? If so, then does the odometer switch between miles and km at the touch of a button?
    • MarkW1986
    • By MarkW1986 28th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarkW1986
    • 28th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 28th Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    It appears they have pro-rata!!!8217;d the invoice based on when I VT!!!8217;d and that is how they have calculated the excess mileage
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 28th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 4,714 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 28th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    • 28th Mar 18, 2:02 PM
    And that's utter BS ... what matters is the mileage when you VTd, not what they think it would have been if you'd gone full term. For all they know you could have parked up the car and not used it anymore.

What mileage did you do, and what was the contractual mileage?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • MarkW1986
    • By MarkW1986 28th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarkW1986
    • 28th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    • 28th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    I done roughly 55k (I have an email from BCA of the exact figure somewhere) Contracted was 47k.

I VT!!!8217;d as early as I could. I!!!8217;m presuming from what I!!!8217;ve read on the forums (although I!!!8217;m not taking it as gospel), they are trying to claw back what they are due to miss out on - payments per year were close to £3k and I was in my final year.

What I wouldn!!!8217;t mind knowing, is if they are taking the p***, then I will too - do I have to legally pay any excess mileage at all?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 28th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 5,214 Posts
    • 3,892 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 28th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 28th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    What does it say in the Terms and Conditions for your agreement.

Sometimes the excess mileage is claimed as having caused excess wear and tear on the car.

Ombudsman seems to agree with the charge.

http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=53103

http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=12006

A Google search for 'car finance excess mileage' will bring up several hits where people have been advised to dispute the charge but none have coma back to report whether they succeeded or not.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 28th Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 4,714 Thanks
    DoaM
    There have been recent court cases about this (from what I've read here) ... one was won by the motorist and one was won by the finance company. As both were in the County Court (small claims) then neither sets a precedent so we still don't know either way.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • molerat
    • By molerat 28th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    • 19,309 Posts
    • 13,520 Thanks
    molerat
    What was your contract period in months and how many months was the VT at ?
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 28th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    Pro rata mileage is standard procedure with VWFS, so it make sense that they charged you for excess. Did you sign any documents before returning the car, that you are responsible for any excess miles charges, etc?

• CazzeG
    • By CazzeG 11th Apr 18, 4:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CazzeG
    Excess mileage
    I too have VT my car, VW finance state I owe them £1250 due to agreement on purchase was 41000 I had done 51247 on return of car, had paid over 50% of the car, car returned in good condition. They state if I donít pay within 14 days they will take it out of my direct debit. Can they demand the excess payment?
    Any advice appreciated plz.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 11th Apr 18, 4:40 PM
    • 2,371 Posts
    • 3,926 Thanks
    k3lvc
    I too have VT my car, VW finance state I owe them £1250 due to agreement on purchase was 41000 I had done 51247 on return of car, had paid over 50% of the car, car returned in good condition. They state if I donít pay within 14 days they will take it out of my direct debit. Can they demand the excess payment?
    Originally posted by CazzeG

What does your contract say ??

Given that you have genuinely exceeded the mileage rather than just pro-rata I'm not seeing an easy get out for you but good luck
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Apr 18, 6:08 PM
    • 18,361 Posts
    • 16,588 Thanks
    AdrianC
    They state if I donít pay within 14 days they will take it out of my direct debit. Can they demand the excess payment?
    They can demand it.
    They can take it from your account via DD.

The question is whether your bank will then reverse the payment via the DD guarantee, and whether - ultimately - a court will agree the payment should be made or not. Cancelling the DD will merely change whether the money goes in the short term or not. It won't ultimately change whether you end up paying.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 11th Apr 18, 7:41 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    Ectophile
    You can go to your bank and cancel the direct debit.

Of course, that won't make the bill go away - that's another matter entirely.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • MarkW1986
    • By MarkW1986 19th Apr 18, 9:57 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarkW1986
    ** UPDATE

I have seen a solicitor for legal advice so to see where I stand. It can normally take 8 weeks before the complaint is dealt with.

I have been handed a case handler by VWFS who has emailed to say it is !!!8216;being investigated!!!8217;

Ironically, I received another letter from Audi Finance today. Irked off, I rang the case handler who advised the call is recorded and they will put a note on the account so Audi stop sending demanding letters.

I asked the case handler how did they come about the 85k mileage. They said BCA sent the report with mileage of 85k, biting (lol) I said the report I got from BCA was 55k. They replied, that is okay, I will amend the mileage to 55k and pro-rata it to send a new invoice out.

I said, okay you have a BCA report of 85k, I have a BCA report of 55k... what is to say the BCA report of 55k is right? The case handler said they have a photo in front of them showing the mileage of 55k.

YET THEY HAVE TRIED TO GET NEARLY 3K OUT OF ME. THERE WE HAVE IT, CAR FINANCE COMPANIES ARE BENT C***S!!!

I have contacted the Financial Ombudsman Service to complain about Audi Finance. The advisor explained because I have VT so early, VWFS are trying to claw back the 3K they have lost in payments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,269Posts Today

7,787Users online

Martin's Twitter