Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cepheus
    • By cepheus 25th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 18,799Posts
    • 19,530Thanks
    cepheus
    0 WOW
    Looking for comfortable headphones
    • 25th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    0 WOW
    Looking for comfortable headphones 25th Mar 18 at 1:24 PM
    I expect to have to endure a great deal of noise over the coming months from an adjoined house. Could anyone could recommend a pair of earphones which is comfortable to wear for long periods that could block the noise?

I find that foam types that press lightly on the outside of the ear are far more comfortable than the ones that press harder and seal around the ear which I can't wear for long. Outgoing noise isn't a problem, but I guess the foam type would be least effective at stopping sound coming in? Perhaps these with a noise cancelling system might work?
    Fascism doesn't arrive in fancy dress worn by grotesques and monsters as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis. Fascism arrives as your friend, restore honour, make you proud, protect & clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you: Michael Rosen
Page 1
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 25th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 12,595 Posts
    • 219,846 Thanks
    greenbee
    • 25th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 25th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    I find the on-ear headphones more irritating than the over-ear ones, but have ended up getting in-ear headphones for travel because they take up less room and have been surprised by how comfortable they are. I don't always listen to anything through them, just switch on the active noise cancellation and enjoy the peace The active noise-cancelling headphones cut out significantly more sound than the passive ones, particularly the constant background noise on the plane, so if it's building work that you're going to have to deal with I'd go for those.. However, they're not cheap.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 25th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    • 922 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 25th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    • 25th Mar 18, 2:55 PM
    Are you intending to listen to something through the headphones or just use them to block noise? If the latter, have a look at earplugs or ear defenders. If the former, a pair of cordless Sennheisers should do the trick - good sound, not hugely expensive and if properly adjusted don't press on your ears.
    • cepheus
    • By cepheus 25th Mar 18, 8:05 PM
    • 18,799 Posts
    • 19,530 Thanks
    cepheus
    • 25th Mar 18, 8:05 PM
    • 25th Mar 18, 8:05 PM
    Are you intending to listen to something through the headphones or just use them to block noise? If the latter, have a look at earplugs or ear defenders. If the former, a pair of cordless Sennheisers should do the trick - good sound, not hugely expensive and if properly adjusted don't press on your ears.
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    Probably the former. I gave away an otherwise good pair of Sennheisers as a present because they were too tight on my ears.

I find that music can usually blot out the sound without the fancy sound cancelling technology, however it has to be turned up a bit which can get a bit exhausting. it's just the ear irritation that I find limiting if I had to wear them longer than a hour.

Are there any headphones in which the pressure can be adjusted?
    Fascism doesn't arrive in fancy dress worn by grotesques and monsters as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis. Fascism arrives as your friend, restore honour, make you proud, protect & clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you: Michael Rosen
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 26th Mar 18, 3:02 AM
    • 12,395 Posts
    • 11,624 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 26th Mar 18, 3:02 AM
    • 26th Mar 18, 3:02 AM
    I don't know how active noise cancellation (or ACN) would work with building work as I was under the impression that they worked for certain types of noise, I had been interested in the technology to block out noise on the London Underground (the sound overs on repeat are an irritating joke as well as people who shout on their mobile phones when the tube does hit higher ground or I am on the bus.) I was told they would not work for noise like this but would be perfect for things like engines of aeroplanes rumbling.

For that reason, I'd be looking to try brands which offered a money back option if they had any sort of guarantee which some brands do or at least used to do but to take these sorts of things up you'd need to go to the brand themselves rather than a third party seller such as Amazon or John Lewis or similar which can mean offers and discounts are not included. However if you did want to go down that route look for Bose, Sennheiser and other technology focused brands to see if they will offer a refund if their earphones are not comfortable to wear or don't do what you need (eg block out building noise).

But if it's anything, I really feel for you- I've lived in a block of flats with a big echoey central courtyard and when any of the flats does building work it doesn't matter how far their flat is from mine, the noise travels, it is odd that in a weekend I don't hear what sounds like a pneumatic drill from someone somewhere but this does seem only for a short amount of time and not every single day. I hope they finish the work where you are pretty quickly and that you don't go crazy with the noise!
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 26th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 2,227 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 26th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    • 26th Mar 18, 10:08 AM
    I suspect you'll be disappointed with relying on headphones alone; they won't block that much noise on their own. I have a good pair of enclosed over-ear headphones but can still hear some talking etc on the bus.

A combination that helped with a noisy neighbour was in-ear headphones with a pair of industrial ear defenders worn over the top. For the best noise blocking, ear plugs and ear defenders is the best you'll get. But unfortunately it sounds like you won't be comfortable with those.
    • cepheus
    • By cepheus 26th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 18,799 Posts
    • 19,530 Thanks
    cepheus
    • 26th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 26th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    As a general rule with headphones, playing music often blots out the sound even with cheap on ear types, the problem is always comfort and itchy ears over long periods. I tend to itch a lot due to irritable ears, and that limits the effectiveness of these devices.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,732Posts Today

8,045Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin