PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is buying a house a good idea?

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    Annual rise of 4.4%?

There have been a few small drops over the years, its better to look at the annual rate as this gives a clearer picture. a 0.1% drop in one month does not make a crash.

Sales volumes are getting lower, didn`t you read the report? High prices on smaller and smaller transactions are meaningless for the wider market.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-house-prices-fall-for-first-time-since-2009-recession-a3817051.html
  • Crashy_Time
    51mm5 wrote: »
    Boom. Game over Crashy.

Indeed.

"The most up-to-date HM Land Registry sales figures available for England show the number of completed house sales in December 2017 fell by 21.2% to 62,697 compared with 79,605 in December 2016."
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Indeed.

"The most up-to-date HM Land Registry sales figures available for England show the number of completed house sales in December 2017 fell by 21.2% to 62,697 compared with 79,605 in December 2016."

I do apologise Crashy, all this time I thought you were predicting a house price crash but no turns out you were predicting a house sales volume crash.... Where will you have moved the goal posts to next month?
  • Crashy_Time
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    I do apologise Crashy, all this time I thought you were predicting a house price crash but no turns out you were predicting a house sales volume crash.... Where will you have moved the goal posts to next month?

:rotfl: Good try. :T
  • Crashy_Time
    Mobile Saver will be along in a minute to tell us that the "Market is healthy" and there is "Lots of demand" as transactions chug along at...well...cough cough...a lot less than they used to ....:)
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Try reading the stats going back 5-10 years for a clearer picture

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! That would be the official Land Registry stats showing transaction volumes are UP around 33% from 5 to 10 years ago? (Approx 900,000 a year between 2008 and 2013 and 1.2m a year for the last 4 years.) :rotfl:
    Sales volumes are getting lower, didn`t you read the report?

Some of us prefer to read the actual official stats rather than clickbait headlines...
    High prices on smaller and smaller transactions are meaningless for the wider market.

There's nothing meaningless for the millions of people who have got on with their lives over the last ten years while a few hundred HPC fanatics have put their lives on hold, consistently called the UK property market wrong and made the biggest financial mistake of a generation.
    Mobile Saver will be along in a minute to tell us that the "Market is healthy" and there is "Lots of demand" as transactions chug along at...well...cough cough...a lot less than they used to ....

I don't need to, the official stats do the job much better than I ever could:

2008 - 2012 Land Registry Stats

2013 - 2017 Land Registry Stats

Of course sales volumes are lower than the peak of 2007 but if you want to spend your life basing decisions on what was meaningful over a decade ago then there really is no hope for you.
    • Your predictions of prices crashing was completely wrong.
    • Your suggestion that volumes have crashed has also now been proven to be totally untrue.
    • For years you banged on about "sentiment" while year after year prices went up and up...
    So as buggy_boy asked, what next in your misguided attempts to talk the market down?
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • Morata_
    Morata_ Posts: 182 Forumite
    Go for it. Save as much as you can. If you don't end up buying, you will be able to afford nice holidays and cars.

If you save hard, depending on area you could well own a place well before you are 35. Sacrifice but not the quality of your life. If you are currently going out 4/5 times a month, adjust to 2/3 times. Quit the gym and road run/long walks. Cut out takeways etc, 1 a week not 2/3...

Good luck...
  • MiserlyMartin
    MiserlyMartin Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    London is still falling and that rippled out to the commuter towns NOV/DEC, but this months LR figures show a recovery in the commuter towns to previous highs. Looks like a pause rather than a crash. Unless you are in London
  • MiserlyMartin
    MiserlyMartin Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hang on a minute. I thought that the debate house prices had a different section. I came here to see if anyone had any tips for picking a cheap but good conveyancer. Am I wise to avoid anyone with LLP after the firm?
  • Crashy_Time
    Mickygg wrote: »
    Return to a thread and see yet again crashy has ruined it.

If everyone ignored or blocked him he would go back to his lonely one bed rented bed sit and post his nonsense somewhere else.

Crashy you didn't reply do you want the number of someone who works at my place he is just like you and posts rubbish as he has nothing else to do or concentrate on and is so bitter he hasnt bought a place by late forties?

I don't know why I'm asking as I know I'll see a post from crashy in the form of a link to a house price crash website instead.

Does your pal tell everyone on his forums that he is ignoring someone and then troll all their posts? :rotfl: I`m afraid you are further gone than your (imaginary) pal mate :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure