Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sv722
    • By sv722 24th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 8Thanks
    sv722
    Is buying a house a good idea?
    • 24th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    Is buying a house a good idea? 24th Mar 18 at 8:20 PM
    I've got about 4.5k saved up in my help to buy ISA and was considering a transfer into the Lifetime ISA to get the 1k annual bonus but i'm having doubts. This is because i won't be able to use that money to travel or get myself nice things. I get envious seeing my friends travelling the world.

I'm 27 and looking to get my own place by age 35 at the absolute latest. So is house ownership a goal to aspire to or am i better off closing my ISA withdrawing the money and using it for something else?

Thanks
Page 14
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 7th May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    But thats been the case for the last 10yrs yet house prices have continued to rise, we need to build more houses or/and reduce the population increase.
    Originally posted by buggy_boy

As prices rise though, more and more people struggle to sell, so the demand isn`t really there at higher prices.
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 7th May 18, 11:41 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 1,977 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    As prices rise though, more and more people struggle to sell, so the demand isn`t really there at higher prices.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    That is simply not true.

House prices have risen over the last 10 years and so has the number of properties sold so clearly the demand really is there (from 900,000 a year to 1.2 million a year according to the official stats.)

How desperate and deluded are you to keep trotting out the same old lies?
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 8th May 18, 1:40 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    https://static.halifax.co.uk/assets/pdf/mortgages/pdf/April-2018-House-Price-Index.pdf

Anybody got the latest transaction figures, would be nice to compare them with transactions before the banks and property market had to be put on life support.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 9th May 18, 2:40 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    i bought 18 months back, but prices are so high you really are buying at the top luckily i got good deal and did it up myself. This forum are a bit deluded and do not consider the dangers of borrowing x5/6 salary, higher rates due and lack of savings for cushion before buying
    Originally posted by cashbackproblems

Yep, sometimes the advice trotted out on here is optimistic to say the least, but with the bull run property has had can you really blame them? People buying now will need to tread very carefully though IMO.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 9th May 18, 3:18 PM
    • 3,809 Posts
    • 4,932 Thanks
    westernpromise
    Yep, sometimes the advice trotted out on here is optimistic to say the least, but with the bull run property has had can you really blame them? People buying now will need to tread very carefully though IMO.
    You've thought that since 1996 (when you sold to rent), you utter, utter mug
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 9th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    You've thought that since 1996 (when you sold to rent), you utter, utter mug
    Originally posted by westernpromise

I believe you started trawling internet property forums around 1996 from what you have said in other posts? Why, only you can answer I suppose I didn`t have any interest in property prices (or forums) back then, the interest started when it became obvious that a massive property bubble was being engineered to suit a political/banking agenda. Holding on to a property you bought in 1996 makes great sense if you want to live in the same house/area for decades, but not much otherwise, and without a buyer the "gains" are really just something to bray about on the internet
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 9th May 18, 5:09 PM
    • 3,809 Posts
    • 4,932 Thanks
    westernpromise
    I believe you started trawling internet property forums around 1996 from what you have said in other posts?
    No, I just searched Usenet a year or two ago for 'house prices' and found crashtrolls like you - exactly like you actually - advocating selling as far back as 1996 because the market had further to fall.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 9th May 18, 5:13 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    No, I just searched Usenet a year or two ago for 'house prices' and found crashtrolls like you - exactly like you actually - advocating selling as far back as 1996 because the market had further to fall.
    Originally posted by westernpromise

So you think buying a house now is a good idea?
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 9th May 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 1,977 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    So you think buying a house now is a good idea?
    For the majority of people who are buying a home then absolutely yes!

Why would any sensible person do what you did and pay off someone else's mortgage instead of their own for year after year?

Why would any sensible person put their life on hold for years and years waiting for a property Armageddon that will never come?

Why would any sensible person that could afford to buy and wanting to put down roots choose instead to rent when they could be asked to leave with just two month's notice?

Why would any sensible person that could afford to buy and wanting to settle down choose instead to rent meaning they probably need someone else's permission to paint the walls, change the carpet, hang pictures or have pets?
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

• buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 9th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    For the majority of people who are buying a home then absolutely yes!

Why would any sensible person do what you did and pay off someone else's mortgage instead of their own for year after year?

Why would any sensible person put their life on hold for years and years waiting for a property Armageddon that will never come?

Why would any sensible person that could afford to buy and wanting to put down roots choose instead to rent when they could be asked to leave with just two month's notice?

Why would any sensible person that could afford to buy and wanting to settle down choose instead to rent meaning they probably need someone else's permission to paint the walls, change the carpet, hang pictures or have pets?
    Originally posted by MobileSaver

Totally agree, the right time to buy a house is when it is the right time for you to buy a house, just make sure you are likely to stay in the house for a while and that you can afford it even if rates increase....

The fact that you ask that question means you are trying to gamble, yes you could win and win relatively big but you can also like you loose massively..

The risk of waiting for a crash is a fools bet, for every year you wait you could be spending 9k on rent, compared to buying where every year you would save 9k on rent and at the moment only pay say 3k on interest.

You were sure 10+yrs ago there would be a crash, are you honestly trying to tell us that was a good financial decision to wait?

Long term house prices have always risen, even if its just by inflation (BoE target 2%) so that could be 5k a year on a 250k house. The bet is stacked against you, so don't gamble.

This is what I hate about you and your friends at HPC, you made a poor decision to gamble which has not worked out yet you still try to get others to make that same decision and try to sell it as a dead cert. If a stranger told you a horse was a dead cert would you gamble all your money on it?
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 10th May 18, 11:06 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Looks like the media want to be HPC members now, the bleating of a few folk with big mortgages on the internet won`t change the prevailing sentiment now, everyone and their granny knows that property is too expensive.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/may/10/celebrate-house-prices-falling-britain-property-values
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 11th May 18, 12:57 AM
    • 409 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    Looks like the media want to be HPC members now, the bleating of a few folk with big mortgages on the internet won`t change the prevailing sentiment now, everyone and their granny knows that property is too expensive.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/may/10/celebrate-house-prices-falling-britain-property-values
    Just like when rates spike and you get some sensational headline what they miss in this is the fact that the Halifax say it shows the current volatility after a 1.6% rise in March.

We still see an annual rise of 2.2% and the Halifax are predicting a rise of 3% this year, personally I think this is optimistic. I can see a 1% rise but that meaning a fall in real terms.

But my point is as always you focus on anything that tried to prove your point that house prices are crashing or about to crash....

What happened to the interest rate rises that were going to cause a crash, remember a few weeks ago you were posting links to Carney saying May was likely going to be a rise, I told you that was rubbish, you poo poo'd me, what happened to your May rate rise?
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 11th May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 1,977 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    the bleating of a few folk with big mortgages on the internet won`t change the prevailing sentiment now
    You've been bleating on about "sentiment" for at least four years now, remind everyone again how your acute financial insights have worked out for you and your HPC buddies in that time?

everyone and their granny knows that property is too expensive.
    Clearly the well over one million people getting on with their lives and buying property every year don't think so. However I do believe that most people's grannies probably have a better understanding of the housing market than you and the HPC zealots ever will.

• badmemory
    • By badmemory 11th May 18, 6:06 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    badmemory
    I bought my house (with a mortgage) almost 30 years ago. In that time the area has neither risen nor fallen in "status". The local schools are still as good as they were etc etc. My biggest shock in years was to find how much a house just like mine would cost to rent. The rental cost has gone up way more than the house value & the interest rates are a fraction of what they were then.

Someone is making a lot of money out of other peoples unstable work contracts (don't get me started on "zero" hours) & agency employments - as in we don't actually employ anyone. We're moving back into the 1800s & no-one seems to care - sweat shops used to be in our history, we now give better protection to foreigners in their foreign sweat shops than we do to those in our own.

Renting should only be a lifestyle choice for those who move around the country with regularity & who actually chose a lack of stability.
    Last edited by badmemory; 11-05-2018 at 6:11 PM.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 11th May 18, 6:35 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Just like when rates spike and you get some sensational headline what they miss in this is the fact that the Halifax say it shows the current volatility after a 1.6% rise in March.

We still see an annual rise of 2.2% and the Halifax are predicting a rise of 3% this year, personally I think this is optimistic. I can see a 1% rise but that meaning a fall in real terms.

But my point is as always you focus on anything that tried to prove your point that house prices are crashing or about to crash....

What happened to the interest rate rises that were going to cause a crash, remember a few weeks ago you were posting links to Carney saying May was likely going to be a rise, I told you that was rubbish, you poo poo'd me, what happened to your May rate rise?

Most sensible people know that Carney doesn`t control global credit markets.
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 11th May 18, 9:42 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    Most sensible people know that Carney doesn`t control global credit markets.

No he is the head of the BoE, he has a huge influence on BoE rates which has a massive influence on mortgage rates. The May raise you creamed your pants about weeks ago and I said would not come about, you argued it would and a house price crash was then inevitable...

Come on how much rent have you spent since you sold? Do you regret that decision? Why are you so desperate to persuade others to be in the same boat as you...
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 12th May 18, 5:13 AM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 2,117 Thanks
    badmemory
    Ever hear the saying misery loves company?

I don't think owning your own home is about how much that home is worth. It is about no-one being able to tell you that you have to move as they want to sell the roof over your head, no-one saying you can't own a pet. I actually don't care if the value of my home plummets. It has happened before many years ago when I lived near London. As long as it doesn't go into negative equity (it can't now as I own every single brick) then the value is irrelevant.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th May 18, 2:20 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Ever hear the saying misery loves company?

I don't think owning your own home is about how much that home is worth. It is about no-one being able to tell you that you have to move as they want to sell the roof over your head, no-one saying you can't own a pet. I actually don't care if the value of my home plummets. It has happened before many years ago when I lived near London. As long as it doesn't go into negative equity (it can't now as I own every single brick) then the value is irrelevant.
    Originally posted by badmemory

You are in a tiny minority if you think that I`m afraid, many people are expecting to sell at a profit IMO. I think being stuck in a house you can`t sell would be worse than getting a couple of months to find another house to rent TBH, but in the real world many renters stay put for years, and I once got nearly two YEARS notice on a house I rented.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 14th May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 6,061 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    No he is the head of the BoE, he has a huge influence on BoE rates which has a massive influence on mortgage rates. The May raise you creamed your pants about weeks ago and I said would not come about, you argued it would and a house price crash was then inevitable...

Come on how much rent have you spent since you sold? Do you regret that decision? Why are you so desperate to persuade others to be in the same boat as you...

So we agree that he doesn`t control global credit markets?
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 14th May 18, 4:18 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    So we agree that he doesn`t control global credit markets?
    Im sorry but why do you come on here? All you seem to do is derail all threads to say house prices are crashing, trying to spout the same rubbish as the HPC loons do. Or you comment that someones house is too expensive even though you have not really read the thread and have no knowledge of the area. Or you post some obscure link totally unrelated to the OP question.

You made a huge financial gamble that turned out to be a huge mistake and now you think everyone should take that same gamble.

So the BoE dont up rates like you had creamed your pants about weeks ago and now apparently that does not matter its all about global credit markets... Residential mortgages and BTL mortgages are predominantly based on BoE rates not global credit rates...

It really is sad that you have spent so much time and energy on here trying to spout the same HPC rubbish. if you spent half the amount of time working you would not be in a rented bedsit..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

1,407Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin