Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miss.Fortune
    • By Miss.Fortune 24th Mar 18, 4:42 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 37Thanks
    Miss.Fortune
    Paid deposit on car - price discrepancy.
    • 24th Mar 18, 4:42 PM
    Paid deposit on car - price discrepancy. 24th Mar 18 at 4:42 PM
    Today we went down to a used car dealership (a Nationwide chain).

OH saw two cars that he liked so went away to think about it and check insurance and finances etc.

Having decided which of the two he would like to purchase, he phoned the site where the car is located to put a refundable deposit down on the car (to complete the sale tomorrow).

The only problem is, the car had a very clear price in the windscreen. We went online to have another look as he is excited and the price online is showing as 500 more than the sign in the window. We have a photo of the price plaque on the car.

The printed guide list of all the cars on the site that I grabbed on the way out of the show room, which I now notice was printed today shows at the higher price.

So what happens if they ask for the higher amount at the sale completion tomorrow?

Are they in any way obliged to sell at the amount displayed on the car itself? Does the fact that he has paid a deposit change things? Surely it is false advertising.

Obviously we dont want to pay more than was actually being advertised on the car. I might be worrying over nothing but want to be prepared.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 24th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    • 12,155 Posts
    • 9,523 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 24th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    • 24th Mar 18, 4:54 PM
    No, theres no obligation for them to sell it at the lower price.

As for the deposit etc.....the deposit itself has no bearing on whether a contract has been formed or not but what was discussed when it was paid might.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Miss.Fortune
    • By Miss.Fortune 24th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Miss.Fortune
    • 24th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    • 24th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    No, theres no obligation for them to sell it at the lower price.

As for the deposit etc.....the deposit itself has no bearing on whether a contract has been formed or not but what was discussed when it was paid might.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Thanks.

Nothing to do with the price was discussed on the phone whilst paying the deposit.

We stupidly thought the price advertised on the car was the actual cost!
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 24th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 12,155 Posts
    • 9,523 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 24th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 24th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    Thanks.

Nothing to do with the price was discussed on the phone whilst paying the deposit.

We stupidly thought the price advertised on the car was the actual cost!
    Originally posted by Miss.Fortune
    Then theres nothing agreed at this point other than they won't sell it to anyone else in the meantime.

Unless perhaps you said you had been there in person, had saw the car and would like to put a deposit on it. Then you could maybe argue you made an offer on the lower price and that they accepted this.

Wait and see what they say, but personally I'd be either insisting on the lower price or a return of all monies paid, rather than paying the higher price.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 24th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    bazzyb
    • 24th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    • 24th Mar 18, 6:28 PM
    It is the last full weekend of the financial year, it could well be that they have reduced the screen prices to try and get some final sales in and have not yet updated the website & printed stock list.

Insist on the screen price you saw, I'd say it's unlikely they would refuse to sell it at that price.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 25th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 4,682 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 25th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 25th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    Garage chains like EH get a revised price list every few days from head office and have to change the stickers in the cars before opening. Prices go up and down using information scraped from other dealers and selling sites.
    Would you have complained if the price had gone down?
    • bris
    • By bris 25th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 7,522 Posts
    • 6,534 Thanks
    bris
    • 25th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 25th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    You actually paid the sticker price on the car? Does anyone actually do that, they expect you to haggle you know, there's always wiggle room in a used car salesroom.
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 25th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 3,273 Thanks
    bazzyb
    • 25th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    • 25th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    they expect you to haggle you know, there's always wiggle room in a used car salesroom.
    Originally posted by bris
    Not always. Some price competitively low and make their profit in additional products rather than the car itself.
    • Miss.Fortune
    • By Miss.Fortune 12th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Miss.Fortune
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    Thanks for the advice all.

Just coming back to update on this.

They did try to charge the higher amount. When it was pointed out the salesman went and had a word with his manager.

He "managed" to do us a favour & get it at the price which we'd seen on the sticker (what a darling ) which annoyed me but I held my tongue!

You actually paid the sticker price on the car? Does anyone actually do that, they expect you to haggle you know, there's always wiggle room in a used car salesroom.
    Originally posted by bris
    Yes he did.

The car had only been onsite for 2 days and had already had quite a lot of interest (as shown on their website not just the word of a dodgy salesman).

It had all the bells & whistles OH was looking for at a cost he was happy with (and reasonable price having compared) so he went for it.

He'd have been more upset to lose "the one" over missing out on saving 500.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

382Posts Today

4,638Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin