Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • undercoverirish
    • By undercoverirish 23rd Mar 18, 1:35 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 10Thanks
    undercoverirish
    Can we stop employees from having direct contact?
    • 23rd Mar 18, 1:35 PM
    Can we stop employees from having direct contact? 23rd Mar 18 at 1:35 PM
    We have an issue with an employee at work that I would like some advice on.

We have advised an employee that she can only have direct contact with her colleagues if they invite her to do so but she is claiming that this isn't fair. Can anyone advise if we can stop colleagues having direct contact?
Page 14
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 26th Mar 18, 10:48 PM
    • 2,271 Posts
    • 3,076 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Yea I agree but the HR company said we need to do this grievance meeting first before we decide next steps. They did suggest that she might be wanting to exit the company but to go in with an open mind.

I didn!!!8217;t ask them this, but should I give the woman the opportunity to select who she has her grievance meeting with?
    Originally posted by undercoverirish
    I'm with the others. This isn't real.

On the off chance it is speak only to the HR company and take their advice. That's what you (allegedly) pay them for. Ask them this question in the morning

And I'm out, now, too.
    Last edited by NeilCr; 26-03-2018 at 11:15 PM.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 26th Mar 18, 11:14 PM
    • 33,065 Posts
    • 19,936 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Your problem is her grievance is against YOU and the company for failing to follow any process.

Its not about any of the facts around the grievance brought by the male employee.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 27th Mar 18, 12:19 AM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 4,180 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Once again you miss the point. (Probably deliberately so I'm out after this post - there's no point helping someone that doesn't want to be helped),

Why would she complain about not having a FAIR hearing when she NEVER HAD a hearing.
    Originally posted by nicechap
    "Without a fair hearing" means "without any sort of hearing" in the vast majority of cases it gets used in, actually.
    • undercoverirish
    • By undercoverirish 27th Mar 18, 7:36 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    undercoverirish
    Right. Iíll speak to the HR company today again, I have plenty of time to check again with them. Iím pretty sure my bro can free himself up to do it.

I wish this was a joke. It might seem funny to you lot that I donít know this stuff but Iíve never had to deal with it before. Iím doing my best here, getting advice and also speak to hr people.

If I did do the grievance today instead of my brother, why would that make things worse? I know someone is going to give me a kicking for saying that but I am being genuine and I would like to understand it properly.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 27th Mar 18, 9:33 AM
    • 17,134 Posts
    • 43,205 Thanks
    elsien

If I did do the grievance today instead of my brother, why would that make things worse? I know someone is going to give me a kicking for saying that but I am being genuine and I would like to understand it properly.
    Put yourself in the position of your employee. The person investigating the grievance is the person who bolloxed it up in the first place. You then have to sit face to face with them (your boss, the one who pays your wages, holds the power and can sack you at any point) explaining to them that they've been an @rse.
    Still seem fair and transparent to you?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • undercoverirish
    • By undercoverirish 27th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    undercoverirish
    I guess I maybe wouldnít but she maybe doesnít feel like that as she hasnít asked to meet with anyone else?

The HR company are going to come and do it today with my brother. Theyíve said they will conduct any subsequent enquiries if we need to conduct a disciplinary investigation
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 27th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 6,666 Posts
    • 12,060 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Have you told HR the whole story?

I would be prepared for any eventuality up to and including your male employee being stupid enough to text your female employee something along the lines of "I've been working there longer, my wife wants you gone and I can get the boss to arrange it so walk or I'll make sure you'll be pushed".

I really don't envy you in your position. You really should have investigated before you sent her any sort of warning and it was stupid to say she couldn't communicate with anyone unless spoken to, how was that going to work in the real world? If she had a query was she supposed to set fire to her desk and hope someone gave her permission to speak?
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • undercoverirish
    • By undercoverirish 27th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    undercoverirish
    Yes Iíve told them the whole story, I think I had to otherwise they wouldnít have been able to help me
    • elsien
    • By elsien 27th Mar 18, 10:13 AM
    • 17,134 Posts
    • 43,205 Thanks
    elsien
    I guess I maybe wouldnít but she maybe doesnít feel like that as she hasnít asked to meet with anyone else?
    Power imbalance again. Does she know she can? Would she feel able to speak up and say that? Would she feel that doing so would jeopardise things even further for her? It takes a very confident and assertive person to be able to do that, not a comparative newcomer already potentially disadvantaged by being the only woman in an very male-oriented environment.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• undercoverirish
    • By undercoverirish 27th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    undercoverirish
    I donít know if she knew that, I assume people will just speak up. Iím not some kind of an ogre.

If this does end up with her looking to go legal, will all of that sort of stuff be looked at by the court?

Iíll let the HR company deal with it. Iíve already informed the woman so sheís aware and Iíve explained why. Iíve said that I want to make sure this is impartial. She hasnít responded yet but hopefully sheíll be fine
    • elsien
    • By elsien 27th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 17,134 Posts
    • 43,205 Thanks
    elsien
    I don!!!8217;t know if she knew that, I assume people will just speak up. I!!!8217;m not some kind of an ogre.
    You don't have to be an ogre. You could be a very nice person indeed. But you are the boss and I'm guessing have been your own boss for some time. You've forgotten what it's like to be a newish employee and to be answerable to other people. Don't assume that in that situation people will speak up - they often don't, for any number of reasons - they don't know their rights, they're not sure they'll be taken seriously, they lack confidence, no-one else has a problem so they think it must be them, they don't want to be seen as difficult, they don't want to lose their job. The list is endless.
    Bottom line - don't assume. That's why you have written policies. So everyone knows where they stand and what to do in any given situation.
    Last edited by elsien; 27-03-2018 at 11:08 AM.

• Wyndham
    • By Wyndham 28th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 2,032 Posts
    • 2,330 Thanks
    Wyndham
    Hmmm..... no more updates, so....
    1) It is a troll after all, and they got bored, or
    2) It's real, and he mentioned to HR that he'd been posting on the internet for advice. They reacted badly and told him to stop....
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 28th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 2,583 Thanks
    seashore22
    Hmmm..... no more updates, so....
    1) It is a troll after all, and they got bored, or
    2) It's real, and he mentioned to HR that he'd been posting on the internet for advice. They reacted badly and told him to stop....
    Originally posted by Wyndham
    Oh, oh, I know the answer to that one. It's the first isn't it.
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 28th Mar 18, 4:56 PM
    • 7,664 Posts
    • 8,553 Thanks
    pelirocco
    I'm calling troll
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 28th Mar 18, 4:58 PM
    • 33,065 Posts
    • 19,936 Thanks
    getmore4less
    last post 10:17
    last activity 10:18
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 28th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Troll or not, it's an excellent example of how wrong an overly pally boss can get things, and of how a seemingly simple situation can majorly escalate.

I hope they don't remove it, it is a good reference for others.
    • Fluffybunny80
    • By Fluffybunny80 3rd Apr 18, 3:07 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Fluffybunny80
    OP are you gonna come back with an update? Even to tell us you won't be posting anymore but just to tell us that's the case??
    I'm 50/50 on it being a troll post as it's a lot of hassle to make all this up! Lol
    • undercoverirish
    • By undercoverirish 9th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    undercoverirish
    Hi you lot. The troll is back! Seriously though, I might be ugly but I'm no troll.

Everything is sorted and things seem to be going well at work. HR got involved, I've been reprimanded and I'm going to be been doing a course about employment law and equality in the workplace. I also issued a written apology to the lady in question and spoke to the whole team about what is appropriate in the office.

I hope things will be fine moving forward
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th Apr 18, 5:32 PM
    • 11,283 Posts
    • 30,171 Thanks
    suki1964
    Thanks for coming back and updating us

Don't just hope things are going to be fine. Educate yourself on how to be a manager and read those policies and understand and implement them
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 9th Apr 18, 5:37 PM
    • 6,757 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    ohreally
    HR got involved, I've been reprimanded and I'm going to be been doing a course about employment law and equality in the workplace. I also issued a written apology to the lady in question and spoke to the whole team about what is appropriate in the office.
    So, was her grievance upheld and from there, you were taken into disciplinary the outcome being the above?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

64Posts Today

1,885Users online

Martin's Twitter