Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 23rd Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 5,150Posts
    • 18,944Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Debt free living and looking to the future.
    • 23rd Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    Debt free living and looking to the future. 23rd Mar 18 at 12:35 PM
    Happy new diary.

I decided that my last diary had become depressing and negative, so here I am shiny new diary, positive outlook and ready to take on the world. I woke up this morning feeling good which is something that hasn't happened for a while, did 30 mins of yoga which left me feeling energised and ready for the day, I also took some time to think about what is good in life and all the positives.

So anyone reading my last diary will know i'm now debt free, not going into the details of how as its all in my last diary, but I do now want to focus on staying out of debt and saving for the future, being thrifty and enjoy my family before they grow and fly the nest. I did think of posting new diary on savings board, but I love the debt free board as everyone is so helpful and positive.

So this is the first day of the new positive me......
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
Page 25
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 2nd Jun 19, 10:42 AM
    • 5,150 Posts
    • 18,944 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning, £3 made overnight on £bay which has gone into savings, have a load of items to pack up but have listed 16 items over the weekend scheduled to go on tonight. Also have some bits ending tonight which currently have bids at £30.

DH has nipped out to get milk as we seem to have used loads since Friday, have asked him to put fuel in my car £25 which will save me a job in the morning on the way to work and give me 5 more minutes at home.

Grey rainy day so no washing out on the line, DD is busy revising and DH and DS are both out to work after lunch, so will just potter around this afternoon getting things in order as back to work tomorrow and its a 7 week term. I have already done 2 loads of washing 1 has been dried and put away, cleaned bathroom and bedroom, will hoover and mop once men have vacated the building as you can guarantee the minute I wash a floor they need something in that room and walk over it.

Meals all from stores -
    Breakfast - poached eggs, bacon, grilled mushrooms, tomatoes and toast.
    Light lunch - soup or salad.
    Dinner - sausage, new potatoes,green beans and cauliflower, fruit and icecream for pud.

Off to start ebay packing .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 2nd Jun 19, 11:48 AM
    • 10,614 Posts
    • 84,628 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Sorry about your banking, smoke alarm and rice disaster, awful how one thing can lead to another like dominos falling .

I hope you feel more cheerful today. We have rain and grey skies today too and back at school tomorrow. But it's good to have a job as that means money coming in .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £3,000/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £1,505/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £159.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £200. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £200
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 2nd Jun 19, 12:06 PM
    • 5,150 Posts
    • 18,944 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Sorry about your banking, smoke alarm and rice disaster, awful how one thing can lead to another like dominos falling .
    Thanks HHOD, at the time I just cried but now I can see the funny side, like you say it was a domino effect.
    I hope you feel more cheerful today. We have rain and grey skies today too and back at school tomorrow. But it's good to have a job as that means money coming in .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    I do love the children I work with and very fortunate that I do what I do and the holidays are fantastic to have, I know of so many people who have trained to be TAs and can't get a job as they are like hens teeth and when they do come up there can be hundreds of applicants for 1 post.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 4th Jun 19, 5:37 AM
    • 5,150 Posts
    • 18,944 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning,
    Back to work yesterday and it was lovely to see all the children, can't quite believe we are now into the last half term of the school year it seems to have flown by.

Yesterday the tumble dryer decided to die, Dh is all for going out and buying a new one but I've told him we should at least try and manage the summer without one, so will be keeping a close eye on the weather app on my phone and trying to keep on top of the washing, Kids have also been told that I can't wash and dry things with 5 minutes notice.

Did a small shop yesterday at MR T, they have new potatoes and apricots, peaches, vine tomatoes and mangoes on offer so stocked up on those which keep well in the fridge andalso got a few bits that were on offer and greenjinn had vouchers for, so total spend was £15 and I have claimed £3.80 back.

Busy day at work today and also have a doctors appointment after work, so tea is going to be a bitsa one as DS is out at cricket and DH is at sports club. Found a piece of salmon in the freezer which I've cooked for my lunch will have with some potato salad and tomatoes.

PWPS xx
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 8th Jun 19, 1:36 PM
    • 5,150 Posts
    • 18,944 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Afternoon, weather is totally pants and hasn't stopped raining the past few days which is typical when we have no TD. I have lit the woodburner today as the house was feeling cold and damp, at least I can hang some washing on the airer next to it and wood is free.
    DS was supposed to have a cricket match today but that's been cancelled so he has gone to the gym with mates, DD is busy revising and DH is snoozing on the sofa.

Family birthday party this evening, I have made the birthday cake as our contribution and bought a card (no presents wanted).

Finances are ticking along and trying to keep spends to a minimum, spent £29 in lidl on Thursday and £25 (mainly meat) in booths today. £20 fuel topup for my car which should cover me for next week.
    £5 paypal redeemed from swagbucks, stopped with the prepaid cards from them as everytime I order one I seem to have bother with them and they don't work. So currently waiting on £35 from various survey sites, also made £15 on ebay yesterday.

DD is still wading through her exams and thankfully next week is the final week, I think it is also starting to dawn on DS that his are only next year and he needs to pull his finger out.

PWPS xx
    • debtfreeoneday
    • By debtfreeoneday 9th Jun 19, 12:06 PM
    • 3,061 Posts
    • 10,594 Thanks
    debtfreeoneday
    We nearly lit our woodburner this weekend, it's been so damp and miserable!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone for good (02/19)
    MFW (01/15) £77,993.33
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 14th Jun 19, 8:21 AM
    • 5,150 Posts
    • 18,944 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    We nearly lit our woodburner this weekend, it's been so damp and miserable!
    Originally posted by debtfreeoneday
    Ours has been lit every day this week, at least we have free wood.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 14th Jun 19, 8:30 AM
    • 5,150 Posts
    • 18,944 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning, busy week this week and today I have quite a few errands to run.

Dropped DD off at school for her last GCSE , need to pick her up at 10.30 and then we are off to the dentist, then pick up her prom dress, collect DS new school trousers from M&S, go to lidl, then finally post office to send a late paying ebay parcel.

Totally sick of this weather, it is typical that when the TD has died and I need to get washing dried outside it pee's down continually, anyway we are managing with airer in the front room next to wood burner and hanging tshirts/shirts on hangers on curtain rail upstairs with the window open during the day as the breeze seems to be drying them.

Moneywise we are plodding along, received £25 back from DD tutor as I had paid for an extra session think I had counted a bank holiday (pay a term at a time) so that's going to pay for tonight's exams are over celebratory takeaway tonight, £5 received into paypal from swagbuck and £25 redeemed from a survey site. Also no more tutor payments unless DD fails maths which is not going to happen as she has worked so hard, so £100 a month saved .

Picked some rhubarb which needs to be stewed, theres not enough for a crumble so I will just use it with natural yoghurt for work lunches. Also have some hard apricots that are not ripening so may stew those up as well.

Have a great weekend xx
    Last edited by pennywisepoundstupid; 14-06-2019 at 8:33 AM.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Jun 19, 7:47 PM
    • 7,648 Posts
    • 56,983 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Weather is dire isn't it? Feels more like November than June I've had to put my heating back on

Hope DD enjoys her prom and she must be relieved her exams are done.

You have a good weekend too xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £514.51
    Emergency Fund £3300/£10,000
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 15th Jun 19, 9:00 AM
    • 9,925 Posts
    • 63,494 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Congratulations to DD on her exams being over Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 6th Aug 19, 8:55 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 3,043 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Just checking in to see if everything is ok?

H x
    Debt:Loan 2 £2200 now £1964.43 New credit card £2291.82 now £1990 Car - Purchased £11,518.40 now £4407.72 Barclays loan 3000 now £2030.64 Overdraft £1000
    PAID - Computer £646.52, Overdraft 1 £2200 Dad £300
    Emergency fund: £50 General savings: £1.11 Debt paid 2019 starting debt 13,111.79 current debt £11,401.94
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 29th Sep 19, 9:38 AM
    • 5,150 Posts
    • 18,944 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Creeps in.

Morning and sorry for the absent, life, health and money all seem to have got in the way. Have become very run down both physically and mentally and I needed to give myself a break and be kind to myself, but now I need to get back on the horse and take control again.
    CC has crept up again thanks to lots of things going wrong - car breakdown, household items breaking, vet bill for old poorly dog who we had to have put to sleep and other bits and pieces.
    But now its time to get it sorted and get back to debt freedom.

DD had a fantastic prom and looked stunning, she also got fantastic results in her GCSEs and is now studying for her Alevels.
    DS is in final year for GCSEs unfortunately not as focused as his sister .

So i'm back to meal planning, monthly budgets and frugaldom.
    Started this morning with a small sale of £6 on 3bay and have split it 4 ways between Mbna cc,christmas savings, holiday savings and dentist bill,Its not much but it is a start.

Only place i'm going today is to drop DS at work later, Dh and DD are both also at work so quiet afternoon to get some baking done and the ironing. Beef stirfry for tea tonight and have taken a spatchcock chicken out of the freezer for tomorrow nights tea.

Hope everyone reading is ok and I will try to catch up with diaries.
    • amber03
    • By amber03 29th Sep 19, 7:02 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 5,144 Thanks
    amber03
    PWPS think we all go through a period like this. Sometimes you need a break from social media. Prioritise and as they say refocus. I often have a break, trying to cram everything in can be overwhelming. Good to see you back.xx
    Debtfree and and staying that way.
    £1000 Emergency fund No.112 £572.00
    • scubaangel
    • By scubaangel 29th Sep 19, 10:47 PM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 10,446 Thanks
    scubaangel
    I'm glad you were able to take the break and refresh yourself. Sounds like you had a lot of expenses all at once which is so so frustrating!

Well done to DD on her results, hopefully DS will pull his socks up and focus at least on the things that matter most for whatever he wants to do next.
    Itís not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you werenít doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
    • jwil
    • By jwil 30th Sep 19, 4:37 PM
    • 11,094 Posts
    • 40,594 Thanks
    jwil
    Nice to 'see' you again. Sorry about your dog Congrats to DD though
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 1st Oct 19, 8:50 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 3,043 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    So good to hear from you but sorry you've had some difficult times, good news on dd GCSE results I'm sure ds will pull through too.

H x
    Debt:Loan 2 £2200 now £1964.43 New credit card £2291.82 now £1990 Car - Purchased £11,518.40 now £4407.72 Barclays loan 3000 now £2030.64 Overdraft £1000
    Emergency fund: £50 General savings: £1.11 Debt paid 2019 starting debt 13,111.79 current debt £11,401.94
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 2nd Oct 19, 4:16 PM
    • 7,648 Posts
    • 56,983 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Great to hear from you again, I hope the break has done you good and given you chance to regroup. Sorry to hear about your dog. Good news re DD though.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £514.51
    Emergency Fund £3300/£10,000
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 2nd Oct 19, 5:10 PM
    • 9,925 Posts
    • 63,494 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Great to hear from you again, I hope the break has done you good and given you chance to regroup. Sorry to hear about your dog. Good news re DD though.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    From me too Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 5th Oct 19, 11:59 AM
    • 5,150 Posts
    • 18,944 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Afternoon, thanks to everyone that has popped by with their kind words it means a lot,not much has been done this morning as we have been glued to the rugby.

So round up of the week -

Work has been up and down, but its only 2 weeks until half term and can have a week winding down.

Ebay and surveys have been ok, have redeemed a £5 M&S voucher from a survey site and sales this week on ebay have meant that I have been able to send £9 to each pot (holiday, Christmas, dentist and MBNA).

Treated myself this week using gift vouchers, bought myself some new Jeggings from M&S used a 20% off voucher and a £10 giftcard so only cost me £2 in cash and then bought a lovely candle and some new coasters from Laura Ashley they had 30% off and I also had £13 on a giftcard so only cost me £1.80 in cash. Felt good to treat myself to something and it not cost much.

DS has lost an evenings work as it is quiet, hopefully it will pick up again and he will get more hours.

To do list -
    Ebay listings
    wrap ebay parcels
    make leek& potato soup.
    ironing
    washing
    hoover through downstairs.

Have a good weekend.
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 5th Oct 19, 2:05 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 3,043 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Busy as always pwps! Glad you managed to treat yourself it feels so much nicer to use vouchers though.

I hope ds work picks up soon.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, H x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,666Users online

Martin's Twitter