Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 23rd Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 5,061Posts
    • 18,336Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Debt free living and looking to the future.
    • 23rd Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    Debt free living and looking to the future. 23rd Mar 18 at 12:35 PM
    Happy new diary.

I decided that my last diary had become depressing and negative, so here I am shiny new diary, positive outlook and ready to take on the world. I woke up this morning feeling good which is something that hasn't happened for a while, did 30 mins of yoga which left me feeling energised and ready for the day, I also took some time to think about what is good in life and all the positives.

So anyone reading my last diary will know i'm now debt free, not going into the details of how as its all in my last diary, but I do now want to focus on staying out of debt and saving for the future, being thrifty and enjoy my family before they grow and fly the nest. I did think of posting new diary on savings board, but I love the debt free board as everyone is so helpful and positive.

So this is the first day of the new positive me......
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
Page 21
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 9th Apr 19, 8:54 AM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Thanks guys for popping by, life has been super hectic the last few weeks.

So quick update and confession , we are hoping to complete on house next week, there has been a couple of glitches but everything seems to be sorted now, we had also overlooked how much stamp duty would be for a 2nd home or buried are head in the sand , so we have had to borrow off the CC, we have managed to transfer it on 0% for 12 months but this now means we are back in debt by approx 4K. So no longer debt free but hopefully the house will rent out quickly and we can then get it paid off.

Frugality continues and with being off for school hols i'm trying to eat up out of stores as much as possible, yesterday I made a lovely cream of vegetable soup using odds and ends out of the fridge and freezer which we had for lunch with crumpets, there is enough left for DH/DS lunch today. Also made a batch of rocky road up again using bits out of the baking cupboard. Chickens are laying eggs for England so made a cheese quiche for last nights tea which we had with some new pots and salad.
    This morning I have used up some greek yoghurt BB date yesterday with an overripe banana and some honey fro breakfast. Lunch will be soup or salad and quiche, need to turn yesterdays left over potatoes into potato salad. Taken fish out of the freezer for a fish pie tonight which we will have with let over veggies from sunday (leeks in cheese sauce, carrot and swedeand green beans). Also have half a pot of double cream which needs using up so will make some scones and we can have a cream scone with a cup of tea this afternoon. So not really sticking to a meal plan as such this week just kinda going with the flow and using up what needs eating and it seems to be working.

Surveys and ebay continues and have redeemed a £5 pre paid mastercard this morning which has gone straight onto DS school lunch account. I also have a couple of things to list on ebay today.

Weather is bright and sunny here but quite a blustery cool wind so washing is out on the line and 2nd load is in the machine, very much a housework day today, both DS and DD are revising for exams so the Ester hols are going to be quite low key.

Hope all is well with everyone xx
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 9th Apr 19, 9:46 AM
    • 580 Posts
    • 2,646 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Hi Penny so glad everything is ok and wow you have been busy. Hope all goes through with the house, I'm sure you'll pay off the credit card a s quickly as possible.

Food sounds delicious as always, I need to do a menu today but can't go shopping yet as waiting for a delivery!

I love seeing the washing out on the line, my folks think I'm sad for liking to watch it blowing in the wind.

Glad you're back, H x
    Debt:Overdraft 2 £2400 now £2200 Credit card £2200 now £1990 Car - Purchased £11,518.40 now £5557.56 Barclays loan 3000 now £2403.11 Dad £300 now £100
    PAID - Computer £646.52, Overdraft 1 £2200
    Emergency fund: £0 General savings: £0 Debt paid 2019 6.57% current debt £12,250.67
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 10th Apr 19, 8:37 AM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Hi Penny so glad everything is ok and wow you have been busy. Hope all goes through with the house, I'm sure you'll pay off the credit card a s quickly as possible.

Food sounds delicious as always, I need to do a menu today but can't go shopping yet as waiting for a delivery!

I love seeing the washing out on the line, my folks think I'm sad for liking to watch it blowing in the wind.

Glad you're back, H x
    Originally posted by hugglemonster
    Thanks Huggle, I actually feel quite anxious about the CC shows how far I have come about having debt, hopefully it will be paid off quickly.
    I also love watching the washing blowing on the line.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 10th Apr 19, 8:44 AM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning.

Not much planned for today, DS wants dropping in the village later to meet up with friends and have a kickabout. I will need to pick up some milk as we are low.

Last nights fish pie was a hit and there is about 3 portions left so we will have it tonight eeked out with plenty of veg and some bread rolls, which will save the pasta dish for tomorrow night. Breakfast for me was more out of date yogs, manky bananas and honey, tastes better than it sounds honest. Lunch will be either egg sandwiches and fruit or cheese toasties and fruit.
    Must try and do some baking today even if its just rock buns or fairy cakes.

Nothing happening on ebay or with surveys.

Very boring post sorry.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 11th Apr 19, 7:45 AM
    • 10,256 Posts
    • 35,516 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope the completion goes through ok.

Have a good day
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 11th Apr 19, 9:51 AM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning.
    Thanks JWIL me 2.

Quick dash into town first thing to drop a form at the solicitors and pick up a couple of small birthday presents for DS. We were supposed to be going out Saturday night for his birthday meal but he has been asked to work and he has said yes so we have rearranged and are going tonight, quite proud of DS, shows he has a good work ethic as he could have said no as it isn't his regular shift and gone out.

So nothing out of the freezer for tea tonight, although I have taken put hot cross buns to snack on and some jam, ate up last 2 rashers of bacon this morning in a butty nom nom. lunch is either poached eggs on toast or cheese toasties with fruit and yoghurt.

Surveys and ebay are painfully slow at the minute and I need to make £200 this month to break even otherwise I will be borrowing from holiday account which I don't want to do. I will keep plodding as it all adds up slowly.

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine xx
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 11th Apr 19, 11:47 AM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    £5.50 received from greenjinn and receipts from this mornings shopping trip added to receipt hog netting me 25 points.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 15th Apr 19, 2:07 PM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning.

Seem to have picked up a virus and have been feeling bleurgh but brighter than yesterday and I managed to get to the shops this morning.
    Frugality continues and thanks to some grocery apps I've managed to save a few quid on grocery shopping

£4 on 2 tubs of Fage total greek yoghurt in Sainsburys got £2.80 back from checkoutsmart so worked out at 60p a tub.

£1.60 on quorn pieces got back 50p, so cost £1.10.
    50p muller light yoghurt got back 35p, so cost 15p
    £1.20 on new York bagels got back 40p, so cost 80p
    £1.20 on Nature valley crunchy cereal bars got back 70p, so cost 50p
    £1.00 on kallo rice cakes got back 35p, so cost 65p
    £1.40 on princes tinned mackerel got back 50p, so cost 90p
    Saint agur blue cheese £1.75 got back 70p, so cost £1.05
    £1.25 onken natural yoghurt got back 50p,so cost 75p
    £1.00 large mango got back 35p. so cost 65p
    All bought at Sainsburys and cashback redeemed through greenjinn, there is loads of other offer but I only go for items we usually buy anyway. spent £14.90 and redeemed back £7.15.
    Most of these items were on offer before the cashback and also uploaded receipts to receipt hog for points.

Quorn pieces I will use tonight in fake chicken fried rice with curry sauce. I will use the tinned mackerel up and make mackerel pate for lunch one day next week with the rice cakes, DH has already had some of the blue cheese in a cheese panini for lunch, bagels,yoghurt and mango will get used up for breakfasts, cereal bars I will take to work for when i'm on duty.

I have also managed to redeem £12 M&S voucher from a survey site, might use this next week to top up milk/bread supplies. Listed 20 items on ebay yesterday so hopefully they will make a few pounds next week, although this needs to go towards car tyres.

Still looking to complete on house on Thursday, have everything crossed it goes through ok.
    Last edited by pennywisepoundstupid; 15-04-2019 at 3:51 PM.
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 15th Apr 19, 3:54 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 2,646 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    Hi P, great savings on the shopping and voucher!

Hope you feel a bit better and the completion goes through without any hassle.

H x
    Debt:Overdraft 2 £2400 now £2200 Credit card £2200 now £1990 Car - Purchased £11,518.40 now £5557.56 Barclays loan 3000 now £2403.11 Dad £300 now £100
    Emergency fund: £0 General savings: £0 Debt paid 2019 6.57% current debt £12,250.67
    • jwil
    • By jwil 16th Apr 19, 8:46 AM
    • 10,256 Posts
    • 35,516 Thanks
    jwil
    Great savings on the shopping!

Hope you are feeling better now x
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 16th Apr 19, 8:57 AM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Hi P, great savings on the shopping and voucher!

Hope you feel a bit better and the completion goes through without any hassle.

H x
    Great savings on the shopping!

Hope you are feeling better now x
    Originally posted by jwil
    Thanks ladies, I must be feeling better as I've been ironing and cleaning.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 16th Apr 19, 9:03 AM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Just having 5 mins before I go and sweep and mop the kitchen floor.

Everything seems to be ticking along, CB has gone into bank account today so that's looking a bit healthier. I have also listed 1 item on ebay this morning, need to wrap 2 up and get them to the PO which I will do shortly before taking DD into town, will need to get some fuel and pick up some milk whilst out.
    Breakfast for me has been yoghurt with oats, fruit and honey, DD has had a toasted bagel and DS isn't up yet.
    Lunch will be either poached eggs on toast or cheese and crackers.
    Tea tonight i'm going to make some sort of enchilada will have with salad and garlic bread.
    Off to clean kitchen floor, have a great day xx
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 16th Apr 19, 9:47 AM
    • 9,642 Posts
    • 60,190 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Thanks for the heads up re GreenJinn. Hadnít heard of that one.

Hope all going well with the house sale.

Love the sound of all your baking. Puts me to shame Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 16th Apr 19, 10:04 AM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Hi PLMBL.

I really like Greenjinn, you get a new set of offers every Monday and they are on for a week, I check prices online before to see if the products are cheaper/on offer in Sainsburys and Tesco, other supermarket is waitrose but don't have one near me.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 16th Apr 19, 7:57 PM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Evening.

Quiet night as DD is at work, DH is at sports club and DS is sat upstairs watching Man U match.

After dropping DD in town I popped into Booths for milk, managed to pick up 2 packs of warburtons crumpets for 22p, punnet of grapes 60p and a huge bunch of 8 bananas for 62p, so that's snacks sorted for the next couple of days.
    DS was at the Docs earlier had to have some jabs for Africa trip, he could be poorly over the next few days from the jabs,he also really hates needles and wasn't happy about having needles stuck in him. Made me smile on the way home when he asked if we could stop for some chocolate, when they were little I always got them a bag of choccie buttons when they had had jabs or been to the Dr as a little reward for being brave, I wondered if it was a comfort thing but didn't say anything, he might be 6 foot and built like a brick lav but he will always be my little boy .
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 17th Apr 19, 7:04 AM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Anyone that does swagbucks check out the link below to enrol for extra points.

https://www.swagbucks.com/g/l/jo7zbj
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 17th Apr 19, 8:51 AM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning.

Thanks to the link above I've manage to hit my swagbucks target today, 2 surveys worth 75 points doubled up. need another 150 points and I can redeem a £10 voucher that I want. I have also downloaded the boots app on my phone to get 200 free points next time i'm in store.
    DD went to Mcdonalds yesterday and won a voucher for a months film pass on Now tv. I had cancelled our account months ago so now we have lots of great films to cram in over the next month, looks like we are going to have loads of movie nights.
    Beautiful day and first load of washing is on the line and next load is in the machine.
    Frugal breakfast of fruit, yoghurt and honey, lunch will be crumpets and fruit, tea is pie, mash and veg.

Going out for coffee and cake this afternoon as an early birthday treat, as my actual birthday will be busy and DS is at work, so decided to have some time together today.

Off to start hoovering which might wake the kids up whoops!!
    Last edited by pennywisepoundstupid; 17-04-2019 at 8:54 AM.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 17th Apr 19, 3:38 PM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Lovely afternoon with DH and the cream tea was delish.

Just managed to redeem a £10 mastercard from swagbucks and got a rebate of 100 points thanks to the link above.
    • hugglemonster
    • By hugglemonster 17th Apr 19, 7:56 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 2,646 Thanks
    hugglemonster
    I do think we have parallel lives, when's your birthday? Mine is next Wednesday! Glad you enjoyed your afternoon, I'm hoping that we have enough pennies for a little meal at the pub on my birthday but if not it will be the next evening.

Love that ds needed chocolate, mine love Chocolate Buttons too although they were called 'butts' as they couldn't say chocolate when they were little!

Great news on the film pass, and all the points adding up.

H x
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 17th Apr 19, 8:00 PM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,336 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    I do think we have parallel lives, when's your birthday? Mine is next Wednesday! Glad you enjoyed your afternoon, I'm hoping that we have enough pennies for a little meal at the pub on my birthday but if not it will be the next evening.

Love that ds needed chocolate, mine love Chocolate Buttons too although they were called 'butts' as they couldn't say chocolate when they were little!

Great news on the film pass, and all the points adding up.

H x
    Birthday is Friday, not going out I've requested steak and homemade chips for tea .

Butt butts in the PWPS household as well , DD still calls them choccy butt butts at 16.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

1,089Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin