Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 23rd Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    • 3,170Posts
    • 7,978Thanks
    tori.k
    Room For Two
    • 23rd Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    Room For Two 23rd Mar 18 at 7:38 AM
    Well after almost a year DH, me and halifax finally found a house we could all agree on.
    DH and halifax get on quite well, but i've decided there not room in this relationship for three, so someone has to go, lucky for DH i've decided that its halifax

We have a mortgage of 140000 over 25 on a 5 year fix of 2.51 moving to current VR 3.99 so today would owe 209,489.94
    That's not happening
    so we need to overpay right from the start, short term we are planning to get under 100k+ by the time the 5 year fix is up so a minimum 295 a month overpayment. first battle is to get moved and sorted with creating no additional debt
    Once the solicitor and costs have been sorted we are pretty much only left with our 1k emergency fund this has to be added to as we will be the very proud owners of a combi boiler ( anybody who lives without central heating will understand my joy) its a relatively new build at 10 years old so everything is serviceable even if not to taste. so least we have the time to save for improvements wanted rather than works needing to be done.
    Our possessions are a different matter everything been saved towards of deposit so we could do with a new sofa, have to purchase wardrobes and white goods as built in at the current home so things will be tight for a while, as we only 33k basic income between us.
    we've been in tighter spots and managed so don't expect any different this time round.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Mortgage Free (stage 3) 140000/ 870
    Save 12k in 2018 #76 3000/6000
Page 1
    • Tjh1412
    • By Tjh1412 23rd Mar 18, 7:46 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    Tjh1412
    • 23rd Mar 18, 7:46 AM
    • 23rd Mar 18, 7:46 AM
    Happy shiny new diary; hope all goes well with the move
    • pennystretcher
    • By pennystretcher 23rd Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    pennystretcher
    • 23rd Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 23rd Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    Had to lol at your decision on Halifax being the third wheel Good luck on your MFW journey!
    Mortgage free
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 23rd Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 16,589 Posts
    • 109,543 Thanks
    gallygirl
    • 23rd Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 23rd Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    Aw poor Halifax - do they know the house isn't big enough for the three of you? Once you start getting 10 page annual mortgage statements they will work it out .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 24th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 53,926 Posts
    • 213,579 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 24th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 24th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    Happy shiney new diary.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 26th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 7,978 Thanks
    tori.k
    • 26th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 26th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    Thanks for the welcome

Things are moving along quite quickly, had a stroke of luck with the vendors leaving a stated working washing machine and cooker, even if they only last a couple of months will help ease the immediate strain, money seems to be moving in one direction only as it does with moving.
    I did a SOA for the new house short term it looks like we will 104 a month worse off in the new house, as i have no idea how much a gas bill will be as never had mains gas before so ive over estimated and our life insurance is pretty hefty due to a few health issues. the the council tax is cheaper and fuel cost for work will go down so confident it will equal out pretty quickly.

DH & I made a gentleman's agreement not to pop our clogs before the mortgage is paid as I for one would be most peeved to over paid for years just for the decreasing life insurance to pay the mortgage off
    So in DH case as a diabetic it means green stuff for dinner

Think the biggest issue im having is getting my head around being in so much debt, im trying to think of it as the bank is my slum landlord, well he's not going to pay out for any repairs but don't think im going to have a good nights sleep this side of 15years I think once we are under the 100k mark I will feel more comfortable, DH just thinks im nuts but for my ease agreed to a slightly higher 5 year fix rather than the 2.
    Im not naturally an anxious person, but this has me physically quite jittery with stress. I probably should ease up on the coffee.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 29th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 7,978 Thanks
    tori.k
    • 29th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 29th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    we've been playing with the figures a little more, we will have 500 a month spare to overpay the mortgage and bits for the house.
    so decided to split this up with 300 to the overpayment, 100 for furniture and 100 for decorating for the moment. im very much determined that the credit card stays firmly in the wallet so its going to be a long old slog over the next couple of years.

The place desperately needs painting as I don't think its been done since the developer left the site, so it's still very much magnolia and cream carpet it was originally purchased as, it was a single older lady that owned the house so most of the carpets just need a clean and will more than do for the time being, but she liked her carpet so first off the bathroom, wc and kitchen has to be taken up and replaced with marmolum before we move in.
    we should complete next week after the bank holiday, and neither of us can get time of work until later in May so will be slow process but least better on the bank balance. I have split days off work in the week and DH has the weekends so I can get in and wash the carpets and they should be dry so DH can follow with a paintbrush we will have to move in slowly over the evenings, and will have 4 weeks in our current rental so plenty of time to get this done.

First job to just freshly magnolia the whole ground floor, clean all the carpets and lay the lino in Kitchen bathroom and WC

Then plan to get the lads bedroom done first, at 20 years old, home is very much a cheap hotel so used more a storage locker, between work, college and friends/girlfriends he's not here often its worth getting it done first to stop his junk from migrating over the rest of the house. its a bit like owning a cat he comes in looking to be fed and then gone again.
    Then we can finally move in.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 30th Mar 18, 6:39 AM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 7,978 Thanks
    tori.k
    • 30th Mar 18, 6:39 AM
    • 30th Mar 18, 6:39 AM
    The start of the expenses 20l of magnolia paint 10l of white and a tin of white satin for 41
    Ready for when we complete on Tuesday im determined to stick to budget as much for our own sanity as our wallets, we knew this was going to be a difficult year work wise to match up leave so sticking to budget has the added bonus of forcing us to stop at a point during each month allowing us to catch up with ourselves.
    This is the most complete building we've ever moved into,everything is just cosmetic so luxury compared to the half building projects we've lived in before.

Our project plan has raised an eyebrow with my Sister who helped me measure up for curtains as we wont deal with the main living area other than freshening it up until probably next year, working from top down, that is only because we need new sofa's and don't see the point of properly decorating until I have the funds in place to replace those. and would rather pay once for quality then twice to make do. Any overtime I do over the next year will be set aside to help pay for those.
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 30th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 777 Posts
    • 4,277 Thanks
    michelle09
    • 30th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    • 30th Mar 18, 9:15 AM
    Looks like you've got your work cut out for you, good luck!
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 2nd Apr 18, 9:04 AM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 7,978 Thanks
    tori.k
    Well good news and bad news on a Easter Sunday, we've signed all the paperwork ready for Tuesdays exchange ( A friend is also our solicitor) so also had the completion statement bill for the cash to be transferred as soon as the banks open to get the ball rolling.
    I also upset DH with the tenants in common vrs joint tenant. We both have grown children from our lives before so its practical that we are tenants in common with a beneficial life interest for their security, but I think I hurt his pride a little bit, that I would consider that he wouldn't take care of the lads he has raised and considers his own. Its not romantic but this side of buying a property shouldn't be anyway.

We are off flooring shopping today so hopefully getting back to the romance of creating a home he will forgive me. the fact im agreeing to go to Trago mills on a bank holiday weekend is more than punishment enough
    • try harder
    • By try harder 2nd Apr 18, 10:16 AM
    • 780 Posts
    • 3,002 Thanks
    try harder
    Yes good luck with the new move and welcome on board.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 4th Apr 18, 10:15 AM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 7,978 Thanks
    tori.k
    Transferred the deposit and fees and paid up for the buildings insurance, everything done our end just waiting on the vendors to sign there end now, I think its taken everyone by surprise how fast this has gone as we only first viewed the house on March 5th.

I'm feeling slightly better about such a hefty mortgage we know we can currently comfortably over pay 300 a month which is basically the monthly interest so effectively the 630 monthly mortgage payment will be coming off the capital.
    I had over estimated the fee's for the house so in a better position then I thought I we were going to be I was tempted to use this money to buy the bits like wardrobes that we can do with but decided to stick to plan and just be a little ahead of ourselves.

Another 48 on a couple rolls of wallpaper leaving me 11 in my decorating budget till the 25th but enough jobs to be getting on with, 100 spent at Ikea for a cheap sliding wardrobe, it has frosted plastic panels on the front so thought i'd cover those with the same wallpaper as the wall behind the bed a bit make do and mend but nobody but us is going to see them and they will do the job.

Current house is a pigsty, first of the dump runs has been done this morning. DH & DS promise to get all the charity shop bits gone on Saturday as im back to work tomorrow until next Monday and will honestly be quite glad to get out of the mess
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 15th Apr 18, 8:18 AM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 7,978 Thanks
    tori.k
    I'm currently in the I hate the new house phase of our move as the place turns up the niggles that are in part expected but hoped that stay hidden.
    its all cosmetic but just takes time we don't have.
    Everything is such a mess everywhere and we have a week left to get sorted as we have to officially move in next Saturday as DH is off for a works training course the week after.
    Money wise 40 over my 100 decorating budget but that resets on the 25th and have plenty (to many) jobs to before then that it will balance out.
    I was hoping DH would have managed to get some paint on the bedroom walls yesterday, that didn't happen but the woodwork been done in all bedrooms and I painted one of the ceilings after work last night so hopeful to them done today.
    • Lauralou79
    • By Lauralou79 15th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    Lauralou79
    Good luck with the big move.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Apr 18, 8:46 PM
    • 53,926 Posts
    • 213,579 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all goes well with the move.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 26th Apr 18, 7:22 AM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 7,978 Thanks
    tori.k
    Thank you both.
    We finally made the move out of the rental (just) will admit the air was blue at times.
    The budget temporarily headed straight out the window and we are going to need three months to properly square ourselves up, so will just round up the mortgage payment by 70 so I feel we are moving forward from the start but we are not to the point of eating beans on toast every night.
    There is enough DIY to keep us more than busy, so will give us chance for the accounts to catch up with the spending.
    Next biggest job is to get the loft boarded out to take the stuff that is moved from one attic to another that should be disposed but for some reason im still dragging from one house to another.
    as im at the point of now just moving things from one pile to another pile due to lack of storage its probably a good thing that im back on shift for the next four days and DH will have the weekend to get some jobs done without me moaning about the mess
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,590Posts Today

8,368Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin