Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Angel_Jenny
    • By Angel_Jenny 22nd Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    • 2,771Posts
    • 9,092Thanks
    Angel_Jenny
    Old style as an escape from the world?
    • 22nd Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    Old style as an escape from the world? 22nd Mar 18 at 5:44 PM
    Everything seems to be driving me crazy right now - the house is cluttered and disorganised (too much stuff in a small house) so cleaning takes longer than it should and it never looks "done" plus so much in the house needs work that it way out of budget. Plus my job is getting more stressful (more responsibility, minimal pay, increasing violence) so I want to run and hide!

I would love to come home to a tidy house - not minimalist as I am a bit of an old lady in my tastes and like candles, cushions, flowers ....... doilies! And to actually have time to bake and sew and garden ...... things that I love but am terrible at.

Anyone turned their home into an old style retreat from the world?

I am working on minimising stuff around the house but I get twitchy if we have less than 16 loo rolls and I like to have plenty of tinned food in the cupboards ..... all organised and labels facing front. I blame that on my Gran ....... she always panicked about running out of stuff - must have been living through the war.

Any tips on decluttering and / or making a home cosy on a budget / or managing to fit old style in around general life?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 17-05-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    If you love life, life will love you back.
Page 6
    • Angel_Jenny
    • By Angel_Jenny 8th May 18, 7:55 AM
    • 2,771 Posts
    • 9,092 Thanks
    Angel_Jenny
    Family have taken another emotional chunk out of me this week...not good. Offloading all their problems onto me, as if I have a magic wand to sort everything out. I'm not even the one that their decisions are going to effect!!! - and as far as I can tell, they haven't spoken to them!!
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    It is a difficult role isn't it!! I end up in the counselor role even at work. Somehow everyone seems to tell me everything and I am such a worrier. x
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 8th May 18, 11:42 AM
    • 629 Posts
    • 7,322 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    I am not doing too badly! The house ......... well still plenty of decluttering to do there but I have a cleaning routine that I am trying to stick to. Plus I am working on not feeling guilty for having a 30 minute sit down to read a book as I LOVE to read! I also treated myself to some baking equipment that I can't wait to use and am also working on sorting the garden! x
    Originally posted by Angel_Jenny
    Angel_Jenny, Ďnot doing too badí - I would say you are doing extremely well You MUST never feel guilty doing something you love I would bet that you feel recharged I look forward to reading about your baking exploits - you might manage to instil in me a desire to bake fancy decorated cakes again

Keep up the good work & I hope you post a little more often

MrsSD
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 9th May 18, 6:53 PM
    • 14,812 Posts
    • 141,307 Thanks
    mardatha
    Just found this thread in the middle of a bad week. Magic thank you all!! When severely stressed or miserable I definitely retreat into the year 1881. I do things they did then, like do a menu plan . Do proper real old fashioned meals; bake a cake and/or make pudding; and visualise meself as the Lady of the House.. the Heart of the Home.
    Instead of a wee ratty hassled tired old bat
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th May 18, 8:27 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 7,322 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    mardatha, I laughed so much I fell off my chair reading those last two sentences

Thank you for brightening up my day

MrsSD
    • Angel_Jenny
    • By Angel_Jenny 15th May 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,771 Posts
    • 9,092 Thanks
    Angel_Jenny
    Just found this thread in the middle of a bad week. Magic thank you all!! When severely stressed or miserable I definitely retreat into the year 1881. I do things they did then, like do a menu plan . Do proper real old fashioned meals; bake a cake and/or make pudding; and visualise meself as the Lady of the House.. the Heart of the Home.
    Instead of a wee ratty hassled tired old bat
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I baked a cake yesterday as I was stressing myself out. Normally when I get stressed and in an over thinking / worrying mood I just sit and get deeper into it. I am working on better ways to deal with it as worrying constantly is so draining x
    • maryb
    • By maryb 15th May 18, 10:09 AM
    • 3,713 Posts
    • 45,616 Thanks
    maryb
    I also bake cakes when stressed. Back in the day, when I was working and hated my job I would occasionally, when things were particularly bad, bake bread. It was the only bit of my giving-up-work-and-staying-home fantasy that I could actually put into practice. Dh always knew things were particularly bad when he saw me baking bread!! Now we have a breadmaker I have had to find other ways of letting him know I am stressed. I manage!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 15th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 14,812 Posts
    • 141,307 Thanks
    mardatha
    I don't tend to be stressy for long- very rarely. But I do get ratty lol, usually at my own health stopping me doing what I want to. But it doesn't last long - because stress uses up energy and I haven't got any to spare!
    Had a great day yesterday in the garden, awful one today, so tomorrow I'm going to do a big pot of stew for the freezer, an Eve's pudding, and a sultana cake - for a household that eats low-carb that's quite enough
    Currently reading the wartime diary of a Mrs Miles and realising how lucky we are- they were struggling to find even boring food back then ..
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 18th May 18, 12:51 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 7,322 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone,

Hope you are doing well and that the bakers among you are having lots of de-stressing time in the kitchen

DB & DH are off in the hired van taking DSisís furniture & belongings to my house. DH returning by plane on Monday, last of the cleaning & tidying & sorting out of officialdom on Tuesday & setting off on Wednesday to be back in London Thursday evening

Looking forward to feeding the birds, seeing the squirrels & being able to pop out for milk 24/7

MrsSD
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 20th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 7,322 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    I forgot something - I am really looking forward to using my kitchen - it might be small but I wonít need my hiking boots to get from one end to the other and once the oven is on it gets nice & warm!

MrsSD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,131Posts Today

8,004Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin