Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Angel_Jenny
    • By Angel_Jenny 22nd Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    • 2,767Posts
    • 9,054Thanks
    Angel_Jenny
    Old style as an escape from the world?
    • 22nd Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    Old style as an escape from the world? 22nd Mar 18 at 5:44 PM
    Everything seems to be driving me crazy right now - the house is cluttered and disorganised (too much stuff in a small house) so cleaning takes longer than it should and it never looks "done" plus so much in the house needs work that it way out of budget. Plus my job is getting more stressful (more responsibility, minimal pay, increasing violence) so I want to run and hide!

I would love to come home to a tidy house - not minimalist as I am a bit of an old lady in my tastes and like candles, cushions, flowers ....... doilies! And to actually have time to bake and sew and garden ...... things that I love but am terrible at.

Anyone turned their home into an old style retreat from the world?

I am working on minimising stuff around the house but I get twitchy if we have less than 16 loo rolls and I like to have plenty of tinned food in the cupboards ..... all organised and labels facing front. I blame that on my Gran ....... she always panicked about running out of stuff - must have been living through the war.

Any tips on decluttering and / or making a home cosy on a budget / or managing to fit old style in around general life?
    If you love life, life will love you back.
Page 5
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 10th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 6,268 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Good evening everyone,

Well the dining room fridge/freezer has been defrosted No input on my part, just unplugged, & tidied up as huge lumps of ice fell. Such a joy not to make a mess & not be in a hurry

Tomorrow I will scrub the outside & inside plus all the fittings & then it will be moved to garage (not being plugged in) until it can be returned to active service.

Will mean more space to put all my DSisís stuff

If the thread is still going when the three of us get back, I will start posting again. However I will be reading your posts

To a Simpler Life

MrsSD
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 11th Apr 18, 2:35 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    White_musk
    GQ I think I have a secret (or not so secret now) girl crush. Your writing always brightens my day. You have a wonderful way with words.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 13th Apr 18, 10:07 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 6,277 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    It's been a joy to find this thread.. Loved reading every post..
    I too have learned in the last few years that it is wonderful and very freeing to not give a hoot as to what others think of me, I also say NO where and when I deem necessary, have slowly cleared out the baggage, both physical and emotional.. This site and the fabulous peeps within it have provided solice and support whenever I have needed it, that or a jolly good kick up the behind!!
    Just wanted to questions where has 'A Simpler Life 2018' disappeared to? It says I have a notification for an unread post yet it says no thread when I click it? Anyone have a clue.. Or is it a malfunction?
    Living life happily! Debt Free date: 2018!!!
    Jan 18 GC Feb 18 GC Mar 18 GC Apr 18 GC: £281.35/£300
    Slinky C : 1/2lb/2st
    :
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Apr 18, 7:10 AM
    • 11,761 Posts
    • 226,993 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    GQ I think I have a secret (or not so secret now) girl crush. Your writing always brightens my day. You have a wonderful way with words.
    Originally posted by White_musk
    Aww, thank you! Your compliment had definately brightened my day.

I looked out my sitting-room window a few days ago and thought; Is it foggy or is this window really really dirty?!

I checked with the weather online - it's foggy, which is a relief or I might've had to spend five minutes outside with a soapy sponge doing something about it.

Actually, I should clean that window, but I will have to wait until the planets are in the correct alignment and Scorpio is rising in my Moon (whatever that might mean). Plus I need to hunt and tame a sponge beforehand, and we all know how dangerous and difficult Sponge Hunting can be.

The window-cleaning project is perhaps better left until rain gets driven onto the glass, then I can nip out with some ecover w.u.l, squirt it on the top of the pane and let gravity sort it out.

Mrs Salad Dodger, would it be possible to ask your sister for list of things she's bringing with her? Not a complete inventory, but an idea if she's intending to bring any furniture/ appliances/ items over and above apparel etc? So that you can mentally rehearse where things will go, to ease anxieties and make everything smoother on arrival day?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 14th Apr 18, 7:30 AM
    • 680 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Off to Primark this morning to get some replacement holiday clothes after my Easter clearout. Need 1 new Bikini, with matching beach-dress (if poss.), at least 1 t-shirt and a dress for work. Probably get the lot for £20!!
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • White_musk
    • By White_musk 14th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    White_musk
    Aww, thank you! Your compliment had definately brightened my day.

I looked out my sitting-room window a few days ago and thought; Is it foggy or is this window really really dirty?!

I checked with the weather online - it's foggy, which is a relief or I might've had to spend five minutes outside with a soapy sponge doing something about it.

Actually, I should clean that window, but I will have to wait until the planets are in the correct alignment and Scorpio is rising in my Moon (whatever that might mean). Plus I need to hunt and tame a sponge beforehand, and we all know how dangerous and difficult Sponge Hunting can be.

The window-cleaning project is perhaps better left until rain gets driven onto the glass, then I can nip out with some ecover w.u.l, squirt it on the top of the pane and let gravity sort it out.

Mrs Salad Dodger, would it be possible to ask your sister for list of things she's bringing with her? Not a complete inventory, but an idea if she's intending to bring any furniture/ appliances/ items over and above apparel etc? So that you can mentally rehearse where things will go, to ease anxieties and make everything smoother on arrival day?
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I live in a bungalow but the window cleaner came to do mine this morning.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Apr 18, 9:35 PM
    • 11,761 Posts
    • 226,993 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I live in a bungalow but the window cleaner came to do mine this morning.
    Originally posted by White_musk
    Redistribution of Wealth is an important principle of The Skiver's Charter.

I'm in a ground floor flat but too tight to pay someone to do what I could easily do myself with change from five minutes (I have four small windows, one for each of my four small rooms).

I say could, not would, of course. Gardening Season is officially open and people mostly find me on the allotments. Folks who want to see me tend to visit me there. Or ring me on my mobile and start the convo with an exasperated Are you on that bl00dy allotment?! The best of them have been trained to bring me cakes and the finest wines known to humanity.

OK, the wine was a fib* but I did share a mug of cider with a fellow plotholder the other week. Good job my gardening boots have steel toes, don't like to think to think of the potential for sharp implements plus inebriation.

Cake is always welcome. If not forthcoming, folk can bribe their way into my affections with biscuits; I'm easy.

* One summer's day we got the deckchairs out and made a jug of p1mms. Very nice. We even fitted a little bit of gardening that day.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 15th Apr 18, 6:47 AM
    • 680 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Mission accomplished on the Primark front. Got everything I wanted (plus a few extras) and a couple of things for DH, so £50 spent in total. That's fine, we don't buy clothes very often.

The weather was then SOOOO nice, that i sat and watched DH mow the lawn, and then we cracked open a beer on the patio. My idea of heaven.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Apr 18, 9:50 AM
    • 15,766 Posts
    • 133,947 Thanks
    JackieO
    back from my holiday and all the washing done and dried and very little needed to be ironed as I am getting more ruthless with the ironing now than I was No more ironing of keks for me (yes I actually used to iron everything ) life is far too short to waste ironing I find.I have more years behind me than in front so now unless its really drastically need an iron on it most things just get hung on a hanger so the creases 'drop' out

I am baking some biscuits this morning for my DGS but from start to finish it will only take half an hour 'melting moments are so quick to knock up and the boys love them. But they will clean my car for me so its quid pro quo

I did a very small and quick shop for fruit and veg yesterday so lots of NSD for me this week.I am eating from my freezer and cupboards at the moment in the hope of reducing my freezer down enough so I can remove the ice mountain in there Its been an ongoing thing for several months for me as my freezer was jam packed .I will have some 'interesting ' meals ahead I think as a lot of its unlabelled

Have a good and joyful week chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Three months totals £96.53 April,Last shop of April bringing my totals for April to £29.71 very pleased as I was away for a week on holidayRunning total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 17th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 6,268 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi all,

Very quick post

Two days of decluttering in France have so far yielded 3 Tip runs - car full each time. 2 Wheelie bins of recycling, 2 large bags of glass to bottle bank & DNeph taking at least 4 large cardboard boxes of his stuff Also have a mountain of stuff for sale

Please keep fingers & toes crossed that we can keep the decluttering mojo Give DSis her due - SHE IS BEING BRUTAL

MrsSD
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 17th Apr 18, 10:49 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 6,277 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Sounds like things are going well MrsSD, long may it continue for you all, large scale clear outs can be stressful yet also very rewarding.. Glad the weather is helping also!

Made a large order to 'The Amozon' of things I have been unable to find locally or are v expensive (& way cheaper with them).. It contains lots of my essential oils and Epsom salts etc, also a birthday gift from my DS1 at over half the price listed elsewhere!
    The quantities/packs are larger than normal so should last me over a longer period of time, also topped up on all my vitamins.

Had a carpet company come and give me a quote for most rooms in my rented property last week....
    I shall be sourcing the carpet, underlay n gripper elsewhere and then find a local tradesperson to do the job.. Think it's better to be looking after the local small businesses!!
    :
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 18th Apr 18, 6:48 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,980 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    Hi Madam

I find homebargain good on price for 1kg of Westlab Epsom Salts at £2.49, which is half the price of Amazon. Hope this helps
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • Sockfairy
    • By Sockfairy 18th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Sockfairy
    I love this thread and agree with so much of it. I'm quite os but mainly because I hate wasting money. especially on stuff that I'm told I "must have" by marketing people! not good at being told what to do....
    I don't do fashion, I still wear the suit I first bought when I started work 18 years ago it was good quality and still looks good now
    I will never spend time ironing, my other half nicked the plug off my iron 2 years ago. it can stay plugless.
    I never understand why people get so sucked in to following the crowd and worrying what they think. if they really care about you then there is no need to worry!
    I don't eat dinner (a diet that has kept me in the same suit for 18 years) except for meals out so I hate cooking and baking is just madness. pass me a glass of wine and a book please!
    £2018 in 2018 = £698.74
    £1319.26 to go!'
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 19th Apr 18, 10:05 AM
    • 509 Posts
    • 6,277 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Hi Madam

I find homebargain good on price for 1kg of Westlab Epsom Salts at £2.49, which is half the price of Amazon. Hope this helps
    Originally posted by CurlyTop
    Thanks, I shall keep that in mind If I'm after a top up.. I normally buy my Epsom salts in the 10kg tubs and most do not stock in that size, that's when Amzon becomes cheaper.
    :
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 22nd Apr 18, 7:53 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 6,268 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone,

Am enjoying reading posts on this & other threads as there are some lovely funny posts & some threads which get me thinking

MM2013, thanks for the encouragement

DSis has made 8 trips to the Tip - back seats laid flat & the car absolutely chocker
    Currently stacking up the next car load
    DH has made 4 trips to the Bottle Bank on his motorbike with a large bag for life full of glass jars & beer bottles
    There are 2 full recycling bins being emptied on Tuesday
    So far there are 8 crates/boxes packed with crockery, paperwork, ornaments etc, 1 set of garden furniture, G-Plan table, DMís sewing tin (at least 60 years old ), 2 bedside cabinets, 1 mirror & a TV cabinet & DSisís bed destined for the U.K. There WILL be many more boxes/crates/suitcases & there may be a couple of comfy swivel chairs so I am hoping that there will be enough space in the lorry & enough space at home

If I didnít keep the positives in mind I would be tearing my hair out as there is just so much stuff

Anyway onwards & upwards to a Simpler Life

MrsSD
    From a sunny & very warm France - spring has definitely sprung
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,107Posts Today

7,092Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes you would think in this electronic day and age. They could put digital ticket machines on trains https://t.co/RPo4XXvrwk

• RT @Mattallwright: Martin: supplementary: Does she know which platform the train is on, or is it Paddington with five minutes notice to cov?

• RT @KTMGordo: @MartinSLewis Imagine Jane is hungry and late for an urgent appointment & needs to buy a sandwich but the queue's huge. Is?

• Follow Martin