Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MisterPC
    • By MisterPC 21st Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MisterPC
    Three refuse to block future 3rd party payments
    • 21st Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    Three refuse to block future 3rd party payments 21st Mar 18 at 4:12 PM
    We have 4 Three mobile monthly contract phones 2 of those being for our kids. When I took out the contracts I explicitly asked for no charges to be allowed over the monthly payment as the internet and free texts/minutes/etc were more than sufficient and I didn't want any nasty surprises. This cap was put on each account.

Unfortunately I've learnt today that a mobile phone is also essentially also a credit card with an unlimited balance. My son spent a relatively small account (30) on the Xbox store (he thought the phone was linked to his bank account) which I didn't realise you could do just from a phone number. My son won't make any future payments but I don't want to leave this line of credit open. I phoned Three to try to stop future payments being made using this method but they are refusing to do this.

Surely this can't be legal? Is there anything I can do about this? I want my kids to have a phone but I don't want them to have an unlimited credit card. Three have also said that even a pay as you go phone (irregardless of the remaining contract period on our current phones) would not be a solution, as the credit balance would go negative and you would be liable for that balance.
Page 2
    • paulmu
    • By paulmu 11th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    paulmu
    It seems the only outcome of complaining to 3 and 'Gamazing' (who are the scammers) last month, is that Gamazing have upped the charges they want to apply to my account to 13.50 this month, an increase from the 5 they were previously applying.

This is a nightmare. 3 are still saying that they can't do anything, so they can't even stop the payments to Gamazing. Am going to look at Virgin mobile and EE instead if they have the technology to prevent this.
    Originally posted by firebubble
    Unfortunately, the way that this works at present, the consumer is expected to deal directly with the scammer. It is the same on all networks. I completely agree that this is wrong, but I do suggest that you follow these steps to deal with unsolicited payforit transactions. Once you are hooked by a payforit scam, none of the networks will help you.
    The steps you ought to be taking are (with links to detailed instructions):
    1. Stop further charges being made
    2. Get a refund of any charges already taken
    3. Complain to the Phone-paid Services Authority
    4. Protect yourself from further 'charge to bill' scams
    It is true that Three are unable (or unwilling) to block 'payforit' payments. Some other networks claim to be able to do this, but so far only O2 have given me an assurance that they have this ability.

In my view third party 'payforit' transactions should be barred unless the consumer asks for the bar to be removed. Most scammed consumers aren't even aware of 'payforit' until they fall victim.

Happy to help anyone who has a problem with a payforit scam. Contact me through http://payforitsucks.co.uk

Paul
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 11th Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    I have just spoken with Three following filling in their web feedback form, where I raised the issue of not being able to block chargeable text messages.

The lady who phoned from Three said they received a lot of calls about these text messages. I compared the situation with direct debits on your bank account, and suggested that Three could send a text which you have to reply with a YES before the payment is agreed to. She thought it was a good idea.

I also asked why the zero overspend cap on an account would not stop these chargeable text messages and she did not have an answer...

Perhaps if all Three customers raised the issue, they just might do something about it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,383Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin