Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneycat
    • By Moneycat 21st Mar 18, 2:50 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 30Thanks
    Moneycat
    Vacuum cleaner recommendations?
    • 21st Mar 18, 2:50 PM
    Vacuum cleaner recommendations? 21st Mar 18 at 2:50 PM
    Hi...
    Looks as though our old Miele Cats & Dogs vacuum cleaner has had it. It was a good hoover, and we've had it many years. I'm considering Dyson - but would be interested in hearing which makes forum members would recommend. Posted this on the pet forum as would like something that is good for pet hair (cat). Thanks!
Page 2
    • Iamzee
    • By Iamzee 24th Mar 18, 11:07 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Iamzee
    We have a Shark Lift-Away vacuum and it's doing good but I'm still looking for a cordless one and thinking of a dyson v series.
    • riotlady
    • By riotlady 24th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    riotlady
    I have a Henry Hoover and love it. Fab suction, bags store loads and not a bad price at all. I!!!8217;ve heard they last forever too but I!!!8217;ve only had mine a year so far.
    (Plus I figure if they!!!8217;re tough enough to deal with all the rubbish you get in primary schools, they!!!8217;re more than enough match for my flat!)
    Make 2018 in 2018 challenge-
    626/2018
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 25th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Rodders53
    Looks as though our old Miele Cats & Dogs vacuum cleaner has had it.
    Originally posted by Moneycat
    What is wrong with it? It may be repairable: https://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/maintenance-and-service-480.htm

We have one and it's great. Bought a job lot of extra heads (parquet floor head and small turbo brush, plus crevice nozzles etc.,. off eBay to supplement the large turbo brush.

Moved to a house recently (from bungalow) and got a second Miele base unit that takes same filters and bags, to save dragging up and down the stairs. Uses less power but actually seems to suck better!

Also uses all the tools.
    • chou-chou
    • By chou-chou 30th Jul 18, 1:04 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    chou-chou
    What puts me off is I am used to an upright with a rotating brush, does the brush rotate on cylinder vacuums? (I am under the impression it doesn't) Also how long on average does the bag last, I have always had bagless before.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    I think the difference is that in an upright the rotating brush is driven by the motor but in a cylinder it's driven by the suction travelling down the head/hose. This means you get a stronger 'rotate' on an upright especially if the suction is in the cylinder model is reduced for any reason (blockage, etc.).

We've had both and I definitely prefer an upright even though they tend to be a bit heavier.
    • LoubyLoo
    • By LoubyLoo 30th Jul 18, 2:20 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    LoubyLoo
    so glad to see this thread as have been wanting recommendations myself. My Dyson DC01 is coming near to needing replacing. However, I also have an Dyson DC55 ball and absolutely hate the ball technology. It might be so called better for your back but after hoovering upstairs of a 4 bed house my wrist is absolutely killing me. Spoken to others who say the same about the ball. I have loved my original DC01 and wish all new Dysons weren't the ball technology. I have been looking at the make VAX particularly the Air. Has anyone used Vax uprights and can comment on their reliability as they are considerably cheaper than the Dyson.

Thanks.
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 3rd Aug 18, 3:03 PM
    • 6,293 Posts
    • 8,140 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    We have a Henry hoover and it's fab! Forget over-priced contraptions. Henry's are about 100, good on everything and last forever. Why do you think so many professional cleaners use them?
    • LilTerryWhite
    • By LilTerryWhite 7th Aug 18, 7:28 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    LilTerryWhite
    I also have Henry (very expensive but above expectations). Highly recommend.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 7th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 3,525 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    We bought the Miele C3 Cat and Dog from Amazon a few months ago, best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned.
    • Jacky12
    • By Jacky12 10th Sep 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jacky12
    i had also experience of seeking the answer of the same question.
    I would like to share my research with you I think the Electolux pure i9 Is the better Option.
    Some one may disagree with me but it's my personal recommendation.
    I am suggesting just because i had experience with that
    • AussieLovingLife
    • By AussieLovingLife 14th Oct 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AussieLovingLife
    This is honestly the best vacum cleaner I've ever had. http:// aussiedailies. com/best-vacuum- cleaner-australia-sells-suck -dirt-pet- hair-debris/
    • RosesInTheHospital
    • By RosesInTheHospital 15th Oct 18, 1:05 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    RosesInTheHospital
    I've just got the Dyson V10 and it's much easier than using the animal upright and picks up more than the V6. Able to clean a 4 bed (carpet and hard floor) house in one charge
    • Paparika
    • By Paparika 15th Oct 18, 1:41 PM
    • 2,360 Posts
    • 2,265 Thanks
    Paparika
    This is honestly the best vacum cleaner I've ever had. http:// aussiedailies. com/best-vacuum- cleaner-australia-sells-suck -dirt-pet- hair-debris/
    Originally posted by AussieLovingLife
    No good for anyone in the uk
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
    • dawnie1972
    • By dawnie1972 23rd Oct 18, 2:36 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    dawnie1972
    Appreciate this thread as I am also looking for a hoover - have had the hoover breeze for two years but the cannister has snapped where you open it to lift it off the hoover to empty it. I used to swear by Bissell pet Hoovers but they don't seem to do them anymore.
    A home is not a home ..... without a dog
    • PDC
    • By PDC 23rd Oct 18, 5:31 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    PDC
    We swore off getting another Dyson as we've had about four over the years and each one has been noisier and less easier to use than the previous.

We wanted something lighter and less noisy and went with a HOOVER Breeze pet verson which worked okay but wasn't very easy to manoeuvre, and having to disconnect everything in order to use the tools was also nuisance.

So eventually we bought... a Dyson. One of their cheaper, smaller lightball models and we've been really happy with that. Only complaint is it does feel a bit flimsy, but we've had it over a year now and nothings broken. Works well and gets up the pets hairs fine, also is a lot quieter than the last couple of Dysons we've had.
    • selement
    • By selement 30th Oct 18, 9:24 AM
    • 504 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    selement
    I have a hoover whirlwind small cylinder vacuum bought before we had pets and it isn't really up to the job.

Would love to get a robot vacuum but suspect it wouldn't be good enough on cat hair.

Leaning towards a shark for replacement. Keep hearing good things about henry but I really don't want to go back to bags. Don't want a Dyson too many stories of them being disappointing and theyre expensive .
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
    • Gordon_Gecko
    • By Gordon_Gecko 9th Nov 18, 12:44 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Gordon_Gecko
    Have you decided which one to buy yet? I'm looking around to replace my 10+ year old Dyson which is on its last legs, and need something that will cope with the hair from my two cats.

I found this comparison useful www.petmoneysaver.co.uk/blog/20-best-pet-vacuum-cleaners/
    but I'm still trying to choose between one of the Miele cleaners and the Dyson V10. The only thing that puts me off the Dyson is that I borrowed my Mum's Dyson stick cleaner (an older model - I think it was a V6?) and it was really loud - almost painfully so - as it's so much closer to your ears than the cylinder version which sits on the floor.
    • DD265
    • By DD265 9th Nov 18, 7:01 PM
    • 1,609 Posts
    • 3,665 Thanks
    DD265
    We got a refurbished Dyson DC14 3 years ago, and it's still going strong. I probably owe it a service actually!
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th Nov 18, 1:59 PM
    • 5,597 Posts
    • 4,248 Thanks
    sheramber
    We also replaced our old Dyson with a refurbished one. Much cheaper than new and better quality.
    • John Deer
    • By John Deer 19th Nov 18, 2:30 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    John Deer
    The most reliable hoover i find is the henry. It's the workhorse of the vacuum world , used by businesses up and down the country. Dysons, Mielle etc are all over engineered and lose power over time whereas I have never lost any suction with our Henry
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 19th Nov 18, 5:42 PM
    • 6,698 Posts
    • 4,631 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Ive got a Shark chorded Lift away, its so easy to clean the head and brushes. My neighbour has cats (i have 2) and the henry hoover struggles with hairs, she has already gone through pipes and handles because the plastic handle bit that mated with the pipe is under stress it actually cracks on a molding line. manufaturer has sent her out 3 this year alone. parts for my hoover are simple to buy and cheap online on the shark website, replaced a whole handle this year through my own failt and only cost 32.00 plus delivery. filters is very cheap to to replace. i like the fact i can turn the brush off to hoover vinyl floors or laminate and turn it on for carpets so you dont scratch up the floors.
    R.I.P Coco my boy 2/11/2018.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,389Posts Today

6,978Users online

Martin's Twitter