Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneycat
    • By Moneycat 21st Mar 18, 2:50 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Moneycat
    Vacuum cleaner recommendations?
    • 21st Mar 18, 2:50 PM
    Vacuum cleaner recommendations? 21st Mar 18 at 2:50 PM
    Hi...
    Looks as though our old Miele Cats & Dogs vacuum cleaner has had it. It was a good hoover, and we've had it many years. I'm considering Dyson - but would be interested in hearing which makes forum members would recommend. Posted this on the pet forum as would like something that is good for pet hair (cat). Thanks!
Page 2
    • Iamzee
    • By Iamzee 24th Mar 18, 11:07 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Iamzee
    We have a Shark Lift-Away vacuum and it's doing good but I'm still looking for a cordless one and thinking of a dyson v series.
    • riotlady
    • By riotlady 24th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    riotlady
    I have a Henry Hoover and love it. Fab suction, bags store loads and not a bad price at all. I!!!8217;ve heard they last forever too but I!!!8217;ve only had mine a year so far.
    (Plus I figure if they!!!8217;re tough enough to deal with all the rubbish you get in primary schools, they!!!8217;re more than enough match for my flat!)
    Make £2018 in 2018 challenge-
    £626/£2018
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 25th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 322 Thanks
    Rodders53
    Looks as though our old Miele Cats & Dogs vacuum cleaner has had it.
    Originally posted by Moneycat
    What is wrong with it? It may be repairable: https://www.miele.co.uk/domestic/maintenance-and-service-480.htm

We have one and it's great. Bought a job lot of extra heads (parquet floor head and small turbo brush, plus crevice nozzles etc.,. off eBay to supplement the large turbo brush.

Moved to a house recently (from bungalow) and got a second Miele base unit that takes same filters and bags, to save dragging up and down the stairs. Uses less power but actually seems to suck better!

Also uses all the tools.
    • edwardmorrison
    • By edwardmorrison 21st Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    edwardmorrison
    Best Vacuum Cleaners for Pet Hair
    As any pet owner (I have a cat) knows, even if you own a good vacuum (I have two of our picks, a Miele canister and a cordless Dyson V7), there still always seems to be some pet hair around. So instead of asking whatís the best vacuum for pet hair, we asked ourselves something more to the point: Whatís the best way to keep pet hair to a minimum in your home?
    • chou-chou
    • By chou-chou 30th Jul 18, 1:04 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    chou-chou
    What puts me off is I am used to an upright with a rotating brush, does the brush rotate on cylinder vacuums? (I am under the impression it doesn't) Also how long on average does the bag last, I have always had bagless before.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    I think the difference is that in an upright the rotating brush is driven by the motor but in a cylinder it's driven by the suction travelling down the head/hose. This means you get a stronger 'rotate' on an upright especially if the suction is in the cylinder model is reduced for any reason (blockage, etc.).

We've had both and I definitely prefer an upright even though they tend to be a bit heavier.
    • LoubyLoo
    • By LoubyLoo 30th Jul 18, 2:20 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    LoubyLoo
    so glad to see this thread as have been wanting recommendations myself. My Dyson DC01 is coming near to needing replacing. However, I also have an Dyson DC55 ball and absolutely hate the ball technology. It might be so called better for your back but after hoovering upstairs of a 4 bed house my wrist is absolutely killing me. Spoken to others who say the same about the ball. I have loved my original DC01 and wish all new Dysons weren't the ball technology. I have been looking at the make VAX particularly the Air. Has anyone used Vax uprights and can comment on their reliability as they are considerably cheaper than the Dyson.

Thanks.
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 3rd Aug 18, 3:03 PM
    • 6,199 Posts
    • 7,986 Thanks
    pinkteapot
    We have a Henry hoover and it's fab! Forget over-priced contraptions. Henry's are about £100, good on everything and last forever. Why do you think so many professional cleaners use them?
    • LilTerryWhite
    • By LilTerryWhite 7th Aug 18, 7:28 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    LilTerryWhite
    I also have Henry (very expensive but above expectations). Highly recommend.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 7th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    • 923 Posts
    • 2,220 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    We bought the Miele C3 Cat and Dog from Amazon a few months ago, best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

2,321Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin