Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arthur715
    • By arthur715 20th Mar 18, 4:20 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 3Thanks
    arthur715
    Refused Limit Increase But Won't Say Why
    • 20th Mar 18, 4:20 PM
    Refused Limit Increase But Won't Say Why 20th Mar 18 at 4:20 PM
    I've had my current credit card for 2 years and want to book a holiday that would take me over my limit. Most of my monthly expenditure is by credit card and I pay off the balance every month by direct debit. I have never defaulted on a payment. My Experian credit score is 999 (the maximum possible).

I applied for a credit limit increase and was refused BUT my main issue is that they will not tell me WHY because of the "sensitive nature" blah, blah, blah.

What is so sensitive about telling ME why they won't increase MY credit limit?
Page 3
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    • 18,111 Posts
    • 19,316 Thanks
    zx81
    Not really.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 14th Apr 18, 8:51 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    I would have thought that with this sort of spending plans Amex gold travel card should be a good option?

If you are paying off every month in full any way?

It is a charge card so there is no limit. With their introduction offer you will grab enough points for a return European flight. You will get a very good travel insurance and on a top of that business lounge access which could be handy
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 14th Apr 18, 9:21 AM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    This is a good thing, you just avoided getting in more debt! If you have the money for the holiday then use a debit card to book it. Debit card purchases are still protected under the charge back scheme of that's what you were trying to achieve. If you don't have the money then wait till you do....
    Lending isn't all down to credit score anyway. Could be income to debt ratio. I doubt a call centre will know the answer anyway. I asked my bank something yesterday and the guy on the phone didn't know for sure what the situation was.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 14th Apr 18, 9:45 AM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,667 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    It is a charge card so there is no limit
    I'm not convinced AMEX will authorise a very large transaction in month one.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    • 18,111 Posts
    • 19,316 Thanks
    zx81

Lending isn't all down to credit score anyway.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Or at all, for that matter.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 14th Apr 18, 12:00 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Or at all, for that matter.
    Originally posted by zx81
    But..... In some way they are. If you have a low score it might well be because the lenders are showing you that you don't have a good financial history and therefore don't want to lend to you. Scores do reflect your history.

Yep, a very wealthy person might have a low score because they just don't have a credit history but that doesn't apply to the masses does it.

My scores are really low. That's because I have defaults and late payments and my card is maxed out. My husband has none of the above but a much better score. It does mean something.
    Last edited by Fireflyaway; 14-04-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: T
    • zx81
    • By zx81 14th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 18,111 Posts
    • 19,316 Thanks
    zx81
    But equally you can have a high score and be bankrupt and a low score because you have paid off debts.

The scores are too unreliable to have any meaning, which is why they are not used, except for entertainment purposes, much like horoscopes or a magic 8 ball.

They mean nothing.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 15th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    • 1,626 Posts
    • 881 Thanks
    nic_c
    True, which is why we get so many "my experian score is 999 why have I been rejected", or moaning that their score has dropped because they've cleared debt etc.

The "score" debate will be eternal though fueled by new members coming on to find out more and been met by tired commentators saying "ignore your score its meaningless" whilst others rebuff it pointing to those with poorer credit histories will generally have poorer scores, etc

Still it keeps me from doing chores around the house, until the missus gently reminds me I've been on my computer for the last few hours and X still hasn't been done.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 15th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    • 6,860 Posts
    • 3,724 Thanks
    chattychappy
    I'm not convinced AMEX will authorise a very large transaction in month one.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    No they won't. They used to say "we have no pre-set spending limit". I remember when I first got Amex Plat in the 90s, I had this oily chap phone me up to introduce himself as my account manager. He tried to winkle out of me how much I intended to spend over the next few weeks and was trying to warn me (in a roundabout sort of way) that I could spend no more than a certain amount, but at the same time wouldn't tell me what that amount was. They also I suggested I phoned them ahead of making any large or unusual transactions to ensure that things go "smoothly" at the point of sale.

Anyway, back to the OP. I have some sympathy. I don't buy the "commercial sensitivity" argument about revealing reasons for their decision in a one-off case such as this. We also know from other posts that CCs have, on occasion, told people why they were declined for credit. Happened to me many years ago too. I think they just don't want to get into debates or say something that will upset their customers or make it easier to bring allegations of ageism, unfair practices or whatever.

BTW under the exising DPA, you have the right to have an automated decision reconsidered manually.
    Last edited by chattychappy; 15-04-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,569Posts Today

9,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin