Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miniminter
    • By Miniminter 20th Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 30Thanks
    Miniminter
    What is the longest you have walked in one go?
    • 20th Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    What is the longest you have walked in one go? 20th Mar 18 at 4:16 PM
    I would say on record about 6.2 miles from college to my home a few years ago now.
Page 2
    • HighamKneeDee
    • By HighamKneeDee 23rd Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    HighamKneeDee
    I don't think most of them on here appreciate the significance of ascent. I've done 30-35 miles on a few occasions, but I've also done shorter walks that are much bigger because of all the climbing.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    Would much rather ascend than descend.
    Audere est Facere
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 23rd Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 6,107 Posts
    • 20,098 Thanks
    indesisiv
    I don't think most of them on here appreciate the significance of ascent. I've done 30-35 miles on a few occasions, but I've also done shorter walks that are much bigger because of all the climbing.
    I find the ascent better than endless walking along the flat though. I'd rather be on the fells than anywhere else. But I agree with you a 30 mile walk is just boredom, at 15 mile walk in the mountains you feel the next day.

Originally posted by HighamKneeDee
    I love a good descent when running, but not so much when walking.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 23rd Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    10 miles from work to home in the snow one year when the buses went off mid-afternoon.
    * Xmas 2018 #8 £248 / £365 * (2017 £496.53; 2016 £424.32) * SPCNo.11 #66 * Clothes Challenge 2018 #13 *
    SPCNo.10 £682.31
    SPCNo.9 £442.64
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 23rd Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 2,729 Posts
    • 7,389 Thanks
    melanzana
    Probably 10k in the local park walk/run. I didn't run because I don't believe in masochism and knackered joints lol.

Walking is just great. But you have to get outside the door first, I'm talking about ME here of course. But I do walk every day. Sometimes just 20 minutes, other times longer.

Feel great when home again.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 24th Mar 18, 12:31 AM
    • 4,619 Posts
    • 5,972 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Originally posted by HighamKneeDee
    Steep descents are hard on the knees, but they don't contribute much to the overall fatigue. The workload walking on rough ground is easily underestimated too.

A big difference I noticed when I switched from fellwalking to cycle touring is that when you're descending at 30-40mph you get very little rest before you're climbing the next hill.
    Last edited by jack_pott; 24-03-2018 at 12:34 AM.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • HighamKneeDee
    • By HighamKneeDee 24th Mar 18, 6:03 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    HighamKneeDee
    Steep descents are hard on the knees, but they don't contribute much to the overall fatigue. The workload walking on rough ground is easily underestimated too.

A big difference I noticed when I switched from fellwalking to cycle touring is that when you're descending at 30-40mph you get very little rest before you're climbing the next hill.
    Absolutely. Noticed that doing my then standard 25 mile cycling routes when moving from a relatively flat area to a very hilly area. Vowed never to cycle again and I have not.
    Audere est Facere
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 3rd Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    23 mile sponsored walk twice. On one of them I doubled back to her up one of the stragglers of our group so I probably did 27-28 miles that day.

A lot of fun actually
    • tommix
    • By tommix 3rd Apr 18, 1:35 PM
    • 36,976 Posts
    • 146,212 Thanks
    tommix
    I hate walking..It's such a boring thing to do. The whole rigmarole of putting shoes on to go outside and walk..What's that all about?

If I had my way we'd have wheels instead of feet.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 3rd Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    dekaspace
    At least 50 when I was hitchhiking in my 20s, and that was with like 30 minutes sleep in the bushes and 30 degree weather!
    • trigger fish
    • By trigger fish 3rd Apr 18, 3:15 PM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 3,067 Thanks
    trigger fish
    To the fridge to get a beer and back.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 3rd Apr 18, 6:16 PM
    • 11,187 Posts
    • 29,890 Thanks
    suki1964
    From my bed to the sofa in the morning, then all the way back again in the evening

Kills me it does
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 3rd Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 10,863 Posts
    • 19,787 Thanks
    Sleazy
    From my bed to the sofa in the morning, then all the way back again in the evening

Kills me it does
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Via the kitchen to bake cookies?

Ultimus Romanorum
    Descendit Sed Ex
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 3rd Apr 18, 9:37 PM
    • 11,187 Posts
    • 29,890 Thanks
    suki1964
    Via the kitchen to bake cookies?
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    oh Lordy, don't even mention the kitchen

Thats a pure hike, down the stairs and along the hall

I have a seat at the half way mark
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 4th Apr 18, 5:40 PM
    • 10,699 Posts
    • 23,804 Thanks
    Tarry
    Not sure really. Nothing overly crazy but 2/3 times a week I walked 4km to work (My phone measures it in km).
    I also have greyhounds that I walk
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • z1a
    • By z1a 4th Apr 18, 10:26 PM
    • 1,432 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    z1a
    I walk 3 - 4 KM a day at work, my machine is at end of shop, toilets, inspection, stores, & brew machine are all at other end!
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 5th Apr 18, 3:55 PM
    • 10,699 Posts
    • 23,804 Thanks
    Tarry
    I also work on my feet and get home and walk the dogs
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 12th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    House Martin
    Pennine Way.270 miles in two weeks.did it twice.I had to do it that quickly to get back to sign on for my fortnightly dole.
    Longest stretch of the walk is the last day of around 35 miles which ends over the border just into Scotland at Kirk Yetholm where you get a free pint of beer if you have a copy of Alfred Wainwrights Pennine Way map book. Mr Wainwright pays for the free pint. We are going back into the 1970 s so this will not happen nowadays but the book is still vital for any walkers.
    I recommend anyone NOT to do the Pennine Way. Too boring. You soon get fed up of Red Grouse cackling at you all day.
    I m planning a jaunt very soon on one of the Caminos de Santiago in Spain. One of the quieter unpopular ones
    Last edited by House Martin; 12-04-2018 at 9:20 PM.
    • EasyAs123
    • By EasyAs123 12th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    EasyAs123
    I would say on record about 6.2 miles from college to my home a few years ago now.
    Originally posted by Miniminter
    About 17 miles following a very similar journey from university to home three months after a horrible bout of homesickness.

Left at around 2am, arrived in time for breakfast at around 8, parents dropped me back at uni for lectures at 10.

Oh to be young and able to go without sleep for 72 hours...
    • EasyAs123
    • By EasyAs123 12th Apr 18, 10:20 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    EasyAs123
    Assuming the love of their life is in Leith, where exactly do The Proclaimers live?
    Originally posted by bap98189
    Near a roundabout?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,026Posts Today

9,384Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin