Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 20th Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    • 26,105Posts
    • 55,671Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    One Shot
    • 20th Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    One Shot 20th Mar 18 at 1:02 PM

Has anyone used it? I'm confident that being 91% sulphuric acid it will dissolve anything stuck in my sewage pipe...but am very wary of causing other problems in the process, ie dissolving the pipe work. Although by the time I put it down the toilet, it will have been diluted somewhat.

Is it a MSE solution or give me a non-MSE headache? Sorry to be so thick.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 2
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 6th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 928 Thanks
    Ruski
    As per the previous post - just pretend it's clinical investigation and have a poke around - it is only clean water afterall!!

Plumber would charge in the region of half a days wages (75 - 200 - yes it does vary that much!) to disconnect the toilet and look at the outlet for you.

Have you tried plunging the toilet bowl??

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 6th Apr 18, 5:26 PM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Wonder if something like a flexible hose from a vacuum cleaner could be persuaded down the U-bend to chivvy the blockage..
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    • 26,105 Posts
    • 55,671 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    As per the previous post - just pretend it's clinical investigation and have a poke around - it is only clean water afterall!!

Plumber would charge in the region of half a days wages (75 - 200 - yes it does vary that much!) to disconnect the toilet and look at the outlet for you.

Have you tried plunging the toilet bowl??

HTH

Russ
    Originally posted by Ruski
    Honestly, I did consider it taking it apart myself, but if I can't put it back together I'll really be up sh*t creek .

I'm plunging it every week but whatever it is is becoming increasingly stubborn.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    • 26,105 Posts
    • 55,671 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Wonder if something like a flexible hose from a vacuum cleaner could be persuaded down the U-bend to chivvy the blockage..
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    Tried the wire hanger method w/o success

• shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 6th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 10,292 Posts
    • 11,573 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    How about something like this: (there are cheaper ones available)
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/drain-unblocker/11325?tc=DT1&ds_kid=92700022855719489&ds_rl=124979 6&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu7 f41cam2gIV77ftCh17wQvnEAQYASABEgIx_vD_BwE&gclsrc=a w.ds&dclid=CLW5vb7HptoCFdTjGwodUO8HwQ

It's not a recommendation as I've never used one but the reviews don't look too bad.
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 6th Apr 18, 10:33 PM
    • 2,823 Posts
    • 8,056 Thanks
    splishsplash
    Just double bag your arm with 2 heavy duty bin liners and get stuck in!

You will really have to stretch and contort to get round the ubend, so be careful not to push whatever it is further into the pipework. If the blockage is in the ubend you will be able to get it out... I've had to do it many times over the years thanks to kids getting all sorts stuck.
    I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 7th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 2,176 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    As recommended in post #3! I have one & it's very useful.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Apr 18, 9:55 AM
    • 26,105 Posts
    • 55,671 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I had a bit of a chuckle whilst listening to this (from 1:40:15) on catch-up.

I had psyched myself up for finally taking Russ' advice tomorrow, using leftover nappies to soak up any excess water but I'm now thinking an even bigger plunger might be the answer. Will investigate
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 18-04-2018 at 9:58 AM.

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 18th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • 11,298 Posts
    • 30,217 Thanks
    suki1964
    Did you open the manhole to check thats clear?
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 18th Apr 18, 4:56 PM
    • 26,105 Posts
    • 55,671 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Did you open the manhole to check thats clear?
    Originally posted by suki1964
    I haven't for a couple of reasons. Firstly I'm pretty certain the blockage is high up, but also because removing the manhole cover is a 2 man job (its buried under concrete bricks for aesthetic reasons).

We shall see....

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 18th Apr 18, 5:01 PM
    • 11,298 Posts
    • 30,217 Thanks
    suki1964
    Mine is as well and I near killed myself lifting it when DH was working away so don't blame you

However mine was full to the gills , the block was our soak away , tank wasn't draining so nowhere for anything to go.
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 6th Jul 18, 11:50 AM
    • 26,105 Posts
    • 55,671 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I thought I'd come back and update on progress here. I finally got fed up and had a professional in to have a look. He could tell me what the problem is as soon as he walked into the bathroom: an offset pipe with a narrow gauge has been installed because the toilet and soil pipe are at different heights. It's not a DIY job (even if I were capable!) and will require a professional to sort it out.

No amount of One Shot or routing around the siphon was gonna help, I'm now glad I didn't go down that route.

• VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Jul 18, 10:39 PM
    • 26,105 Posts
    • 55,671 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm going to need a bit more help here. How much should the plumbing work for a replacement toilet cost?

• TeamPlum
    • By TeamPlum 16th Jul 18, 11:45 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    TeamPlum
    When you say they're at different heights, which is higher, the soil pipe or the toilet? If it's the pipe, you'll need to either raise the toilet, or lower the connector into the soil pipe.

Are you replacing the toilet, or keeping the current one? Replacing the toilet in itself isn't a difficult job, it's dependent on the above question.

Where abouts are you based?

What's access to the soil pipe like?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th Jul 18, 10:45 PM
    • 26,105 Posts
    • 55,671 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The toilet appears to be higher than the soil pipe - which I guess is a good thing, at least gravity is on my side! I can't say the shape is either a P or an S though.

The soil pipe is accessible from inside and out.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,422Posts Today

8,306Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PheebsVyse: We had to watch @MartinSLewis instead of bake off tonight and mum and dad have gone and saved £662 + £200 off tax this yea?

• Hi folks. We've just left st George's hall. Am shattered. Hope you enjoyed the show. Martin And thanks Oli for twe? https://t.co/vpHEa53rug

• And that's a wrap! This is MSE Oli signing off - the next tweet will be from Martin. #MartinLewis

• Follow Martin