Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 20th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 1,355Posts
    • 2,770Thanks
    Tygermoth
    Visiting tradesman -your responsibility?
    • 20th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    Visiting tradesman -your responsibility? 20th Mar 18 at 11:08 AM
    We had an issue with our boiler over last week. We have home emergency cover and they sent out a gentleman to fix it. Sadly it turned out to be pumping out carbon monoxide and was switched off by the engineer (moral of that little story get a carbon monoxide meter people!)

This necessitated several visits to fix the thing and on each occasion the engineer parking in the bay to the front of the house which has several marked spaces and a visitors spot. However on the last visit he arrived before us and for reasons known only to him he parked in the lane that runs along the side of our house that goes to two further houses instead.

Its seems that that the gentleman who lives in the house that owns the lane went out and asked him to move. By all accounts things escalated rapidly and each states the other threw a punch. No one saw this and a whole mess of he said she said was done. Police were called (did not arrive apparently) and drama ensued all over before we got home.

Totally clueless to what had been going on I wander up to my front door to find the lane owner camped out on our doorstep foaming at the mouth livid. We have had some mild run ins before regards a damp spot (which still remains) on a wall that can only be accessed from our garden and wanting comp for guttering he felt our tree contributed to falling off so he is rather rude to me as standard.

He was rather aggressive and did not react well when I advised that I was not aware anything had happened (he had assumed the plumber would have called me in the intervening time). He launched in to the fact that my employee had caused distress and assaulted him. I advised he was not my employee and was wholly instructed by my insurance company. At that point he accused me of flim- flamming him and I pay the insurer so to get my head out of my rear. (well, a less polite version)

This morning I have received a card through the door stating that the plumber was paid by me so therefore employed by me, he does not give two hoots what method that payment was made for example through an insurer. He is demanding several things but the main gist he is getting at is some form of compensation for the behaviour of my employee on his land.

I had provided him the complaints number for the insurer but he has decided that I am the quote ultimately responsible party unquote and refused to speak or deal with them. I have sent a copy of the card over to the insurer who seems to be rather casual regards the whole thing, which I can see why on a totally unwitnessed issue.

So my plan is a broken record approach of that I have passed everything along to the legal team at the insurer and not engage.

However my OH is working from home today and has spotted him coming round to the front of the house every time a car parks up in the bay so it looks like he is looking to catch me coming home.

I never want to make assumptions so I am just checking I am not going to get in trouble right?
    Last edited by Tygermoth; 20-03-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
Page 6
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Apr 18, 7:56 PM
    • 65,291 Posts
    • 383,194 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I still think this could be turned round if all the neighbours got together to make sure people/their visitors didn't park illegally as that is the catalyst of all this.

If nobody had ever parked illegally and annoyingly on his land, he'd have been as happy as Larry in his house and not out banging on doors.

Rather than all ganging up on him it might be a good idea to get together to fix it - because fixing it is what you all want. Nobody wants police, court cases, legals .... he wants people to stop parking illegally - and the residents are the ones whose visitors are doing the bad parking.

Don't work against him - work FOR him!

That saves any neighbour disputes and will transform the road - at the moment nobody is taking notice, nobody is taking him seriously. He is a man at the end of his tether .... who just wants you all to STOP with the bad parking. He is a man "in the right" who feels mocked, feels everybody's taking the pee.

That's the real elephant in the room here. The residents' visitors should not be parking there and they should come together to work out how to achieve it.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 09-04-2018 at 7:59 PM.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 9th Apr 18, 8:31 PM
    • 12,902 Posts
    • 222,692 Thanks
    greenbee
    The OP has already pointed out that residents have a visitor bay and instruct their visitors to park there - it appears to be school-run mums and random delivery people (who, no matter how much you tell them where to stop, will tend to stop where they feel like) who are using the lane. So all the residents can do is suggest solutions such as automated entry barriers. Or an updated CCTV system that records.

As for his behaviour, I agree that this is harrassment and I'm surprised that the police didn't take it more seriously. Ours certainly do - apparently they've been told to prioritise it as dealing with harrassment often reduces the likelihood of things escalating.
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 9th Apr 18, 9:05 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Lysimache
    Is this a Central London street mews?

Also, suggest he writes to his councillors asking them to introduce a controlled parking zone. That can then, possibly, be enforced by parking men giving out fines...
    Last edited by Lysimache; 09-04-2018 at 9:14 PM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Apr 18, 9:09 PM
    • 26,895 Posts
    • 96,688 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I do wish people would stop posting such childish and impetuous advice on this, and other threads, involving police response to serious matters!
    Originally posted by DaftyDuck
    rob's comments are usually funny, but that one wasn't.

It was particularly inappropriate in the light of a main news item today.
    Gardening is cheaper than psychotherapy.....and you get tomatoes.
    • Lysimache
    • By Lysimache 9th Apr 18, 9:12 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Lysimache
    Tell the police your neighbour is at your door banging on it and you believe he may have a weapon.

And get CCTV asap as the police, courts, and some on this forum won't believe you.
    Originally posted by robatwork
    Advice like that could result in armed officers coming who could then accidentally hurt innocent bystanders. Bad advice.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 9th Apr 18, 9:30 PM
    • 39,262 Posts
    • 36,226 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Actually, if it's parents parking for the school, then it would IMO definitely be worth those affected (and that's all of you, so any of you could do this!) getting in touch with the school and politely asking them to remind parents that there is no parking available in that lane as it is a private access road only, and there is no parking in your road, and that school drop-off parking is causing a serious nuisance to the school's neighbours.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Apr 18, 9:45 PM
    • 17,427 Posts
    • 48,420 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Actually, if it's parents parking for the school, then it would IMO definitely be worth those affected (and that's all of you, so any of you could do this!) getting in touch with the school and politely asking them to remind parents that there is no parking available in that lane as it is a private access road only, and there is no parking in your road, and that school drop-off parking is causing a serious nuisance to the school's neighbours.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Obviously including numberplates of culprit cars being passed on to the school. Though that is all rather dependant on how co-operative (or otherwise) the school would be...

I don't know whether I'd hold out much hope on that front - considering the number of tales we've seen in the papers recently to the effect that some people are selfish enough to park "wherever they think they will" even if it's blocking in an ambulance on duty.
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 9th Apr 18, 10:55 PM
    • 8,932 Posts
    • 16,302 Thanks
    calleyw
    Also keep a log of everything that happens.

So every time your neighbour rings the door bell etc. If you can record all interactions with him as well.

He can have installed a electric bollard that uses remote controls. So he and the other neighbour that needs access can do so.

https://www.expertsecurityuk.co.uk/product/bollards/driveway/
    http://www.edsuk.com/automatic_rising_bollards.html

or even automatic electric gate, so no need to get out the car to open

That would solve the problem and save everyone grief.

All the best I hope you get this sorted out very soon with the least amount of hassle.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 10th Apr 18, 9:00 PM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    I've just got home from a veeeeey long day at work to find a card and a bunch of flowers from the entire mews of neighbours.

They have all clubbed together and as a group apparently cleaned the writing off the wall over this afternoon - it's dark and late so i've not had a good look. Its gone but that's pretty much all i can make out after sticking my head out the door to have a gander.

The guy three doors up went and had a word with lane guy (no, not that type - the tea and cake type)

Everyone has received an invitation to a friendly 'get together' all all the houses to have a chat regarding some local issues, parking and our neighbourhood watch. Tea, biscuits and soft drinks provided.

Its very nicely done and its not actually mentioning the recent ruckus but it's an open door.... So lets see what happens.

Feeling hopeful
    Last edited by Tygermoth; 10-04-2018 at 9:06 PM.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Apr 18, 9:18 PM
    • 26,895 Posts
    • 96,688 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Sounds like a plan.

Hopefully, the guy will feel he's been heard and he'll have a chance to take a step into the community again.

It'll be interesting to see if he shows up.
    Gardening is cheaper than psychotherapy.....and you get tomatoes.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 10th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Looking forward to this beauty.....
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 17,427 Posts
    • 48,420 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Sounds very positive

Sometimes that's what is needed - ie a communal discussion of everyone on an equal basis.

At least it will have been tried at any rate - so time will tell.
    If you feel like you don't fit in in this world, it's because you are here to help create a new one.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 11th Apr 18, 1:16 AM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 8,035 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I wonder if it could be explained that most of the parking is done by people there is no control over, and it might be time to put a chain across the lane or a bolster there? This avoids the need for signs that no one is happy with and will stop the parking problem full stop. The bolster or chain can have a private sign on it that no one can miss and doesn't involve your wall.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 11th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 4,253 Posts
    • 14,543 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    Yes, the important point to reiterate is that the OP has no control over random people parking there, and is not responsible for their behaviour. If OP is amenable to a No Parking sign on the house wall, it must be of a type and size at their discretion.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    • 17,427 Posts
    • 48,420 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I don't think it's fair personally to put a sign on someone else's house.

At a very practical level - there are a lot of people that apparently can't read and are totally oblivious to the most obvious "shoulds/shouldnts" etc.

So a physical barrier that the "ignoramuses" can't breach must be the way to go on this one.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Apr 18, 11:45 AM
    • 46,222 Posts
    • 55,985 Thanks
    G_M
    Maybe the community could consider some group project to help bring them all together.

A pet cemetery for example so people did not have to bury their dogs pets in their gardens?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    • 11,886 Posts
    • 13,854 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Chain with a no parking sign is by far the best suggestion I've seen so far. Wrapped tightly around the neck of the bullying resident
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 11th Apr 18, 8:03 PM
    • 39,262 Posts
    • 36,226 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Chain with a no parking sign is by far the best suggestion I've seen so far.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Yes, but ... unless it's mounted on a couple of posts / bollards, the OP is going to have to agree to have one side mounted on her property, no?

You can get freestanding bollards, although there'd be a risk that they might 'walk' or just be moved. Although I think they would deter the casual school parkers ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 11th Apr 18, 8:10 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    HampshireH
    Would just be a hook though. Fair less intrusive than a sign.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 11th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 39,262 Posts
    • 36,226 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Would just be a hook though. Fair less intrusive than a sign.
    Originally posted by HampshireH
    Oh true, but if the neighbour remains as awkward as he's been so far, how much trouble with that be?
    Still knitting!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

785Posts Today

6,390Users online

Martin's Twitter