Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 20th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 1,358Posts
    • 2,768Thanks
    Tygermoth
    Visiting tradesman -your responsibility?
    • 20th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    Visiting tradesman -your responsibility? 20th Mar 18 at 11:08 AM
    We had an issue with our boiler over last week. We have home emergency cover and they sent out a gentleman to fix it. Sadly it turned out to be pumping out carbon monoxide and was switched off by the engineer (moral of that little story get a carbon monoxide meter people!)

This necessitated several visits to fix the thing and on each occasion the engineer parking in the bay to the front of the house which has several marked spaces and a visitors spot. However on the last visit he arrived before us and for reasons known only to him he parked in the lane that runs along the side of our house that goes to two further houses instead.

Its seems that that the gentleman who lives in the house that owns the lane went out and asked him to move. By all accounts things escalated rapidly and each states the other threw a punch. No one saw this and a whole mess of he said she said was done. Police were called (did not arrive apparently) and drama ensued all over before we got home.

Totally clueless to what had been going on I wander up to my front door to find the lane owner camped out on our doorstep foaming at the mouth livid. We have had some mild run ins before regards a damp spot (which still remains) on a wall that can only be accessed from our garden and wanting comp for guttering he felt our tree contributed to falling off so he is rather rude to me as standard.

He was rather aggressive and did not react well when I advised that I was not aware anything had happened (he had assumed the plumber would have called me in the intervening time). He launched in to the fact that my employee had caused distress and assaulted him. I advised he was not my employee and was wholly instructed by my insurance company. At that point he accused me of flim- flamming him and I pay the insurer so to get my head out of my rear. (well, a less polite version)

This morning I have received a card through the door stating that the plumber was paid by me so therefore employed by me, he does not give two hoots what method that payment was made for example through an insurer. He is demanding several things but the main gist he is getting at is some form of compensation for the behaviour of my employee on his land.

I had provided him the complaints number for the insurer but he has decided that I am the quote ultimately responsible party unquote and refused to speak or deal with them. I have sent a copy of the card over to the insurer who seems to be rather casual regards the whole thing, which I can see why on a totally unwitnessed issue.

So my plan is a broken record approach of that I have passed everything along to the legal team at the insurer and not engage.

However my OH is working from home today and has spotted him coming round to the front of the house every time a car parks up in the bay so it looks like he is looking to catch me coming home.

I never want to make assumptions so I am just checking I am not going to get in trouble right?
    Last edited by Tygermoth; 20-03-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
Page 4
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 27th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 64,282 Posts
    • 377,386 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    From what we have read he aggravated or escalated the situation. Yes, I have no doubt it is extremely annoying ( we have a similar issue here) but you have to remain civil and non-confrontational.
    Who hit who first is a matter for the police and we don't know the truth of that bit, so we have to put that aside.

You have a man who has his life blighted, repeatedly, by many people, over and over again, who feels he is not being listened to.

He probably aggravated/escalated it because "nobody's listening, how can I get somebody's attention" and grabbed the phone in a pique of annoyance having been dismissed as irrelevant by the illegally parked tradesman who wasn't giving him the respect due.

When people, all sorts of people, repeatedly, do what they shouldn't do - and nobody is changing their behaviour, there comes a time when somebody might do something rash. He grabbed the phone, to get the tradesman's attention.

It escalated.... that's for the police to sort out.

But, in short, you have a neighbour who is having his rights and access perpetually eroded by a bunch of neighbours who don't seem to take this matter seriously.

I suggest you and your neighbours think this bit through and try to come to an outcome that works so that visitors don't keep parking where they shouldn't. Because ... it's annoying when visitors arbitrarily choose to do that.

You just see this one interaction, he's probably got 20x the trouble day in day out ... with others "worse than your house visitor", but he's not taking notes of who/where people are visiting .... and he's TIRED of it.

The escalation/thumping should be dealt with by the police, but, as adult neighbours you collectively need to understand that this is a man with rights who is being robbed of his rights ... and not being listened to. He feels that you don't think it's important - and it IS. So have a little think about it from his viewpoint.

I don't condone the way it's ended up with him and your tradesperson, but I can see how somebody would get to the stage where things got a little out of hand after many months of an assortment and escalation of annoyances committed against the neighbour who only wants "what he bought and paid for". No more... just that. All he wants is to stop continually being robbed and dismissed as irrelevant.

So separate the two:

Assault - police are dealing with. End of.

Neighbours' visitors being a nuisance to the houses at the end. That's you and your neighbours doing that to somebody else.... and bullying him because you are not taking on board the fact that he's "right about his rights" and yet you find them irrelevant/unimportant.

How would YOU feel?
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 27-03-2018 at 1:37 PM.
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 27th Mar 18, 1:43 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    Um, most cases its the mums/dads from out of town. As mentioned previously They park up and use the cut through to take the children to school. Trust me, its not worth our while to park in the lane we would never hear the end of it.

Occasionally a tradesperson, delivery driver or similar will park in there and the house owner they are visiting will make them move! that's what we have a visitors space in the bay for.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 27th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    If he has CCTV in the lane which is activated by motion surely if he is not at fault he would show you your supposedly aggressive trades person assault him and him acting exclusively in self defence?

Also, if I were you, I would advise him to put a bollard in. His neighbours right of access would not be impeded if he gave them a key for the padlock. Under no circumstance would I let this man erect any signs etc. on your property.

P.S. Ring police tell them about situation with him looking through windows etc, should it go any further it will certainly help...
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 27th Mar 18, 1:53 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    armchaireconomist - as mentioned before he states it doesn't record. It's a live feed that pops up on his monitor/tv when motion activated? (I don't quite know the set up i have never been in his house)

He's a canny man, he would have looked at having a bollard popped in and i'm sure there are reasons not to have done it. I can think of a few myself - The pita of taking it up and down every time or it being an issue on selling either of the houses? objection from his neighbour to the lack of quick access for an ambulance/friends/ relatives or the feeling that he shouldn't have to go to the expense or effort when common sense and courtesy would solve the matter
    Last edited by Tygermoth; 27-03-2018 at 2:09 PM.
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 27th Mar 18, 2:12 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    I have been waiting in all day for my district nurse and they have sent a new lady - guess what - she just parked in the lane.

For the love of all things :mad

(my normal DN knows better)

Sigh. typical. Theres me being all 'it's not us causing the issues'
    Last edited by Tygermoth; 27-03-2018 at 2:16 PM.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 27th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 25,784 Posts
    • 69,833 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    You might need the sign putting up again.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 27th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    which would be a reasonable thing to do. i agree... but..... sigh.

I wonder if i agree to put up a sign, of my choosing. if it vanishes then that's as far as i will go. What could possibly go wrong?
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 27th Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Does someone parking there obstruct his access? We regularly have people park across our garage as it abuts the road (opposite a school)and it is annoying.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 27th Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    • 26,167 Posts
    • 94,971 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I wonder if i agree to put up a sign, of my choosing. if it vanishes then that's as far as i will go. What could possibly go wrong?
    Originally posted by Tygermoth
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-A2-HEX-PIN-BUTTON-HEAD-10-WOOD-SCREWS-1-DRIVE-BIT-TAMPER-PROOF/302085417933?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CA SSINI%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20151005190540%26meid%3Da78 934526f364a7495da06c892ee288b%26pid%3D100505%26rk% 3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D302085417933&_trksid=p204 5573.c100505.m3226

A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 27th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    rtho782
    Does someone parking there obstruct his access? We regularly have people park across our garage as it abuts the road (opposite a school)and it is annoying.
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    I'd be willing you don't start fist fights about it or try to sue your neighbours if a plumber or DPD parks there without their knowledge while visiting their house though.

At that point, where the plumber was parked went out the window as an irrelevance.

OP, I would just tell him you do not recognise his claim against you and if he wishes to proceed further he should issue a county court claim. Any other further contact about this matter will be reported to the police as harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: 13,000 / 15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: 6,000 / 7,500
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 8th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    So today was interesting.

We were woken at 530 by hammering on the door. Rather than go down three flights of stairs i cracked open a window and asked who was calling.

Lane neighbour asked if we has parked in the lane. I said no, not us and closed the window.

He hammered on the door half an hour later. rinse and repeat.

The then leaned on the doorbell continuously at lunch time.

Late afternoon he started hammering on the door again. This time i opened it and he asked if we had parked in the lane. I advised him that, as said before, we haven't and we wouldn't so please stop ringing the bell or knocking.

He said eff you and stood with his finger on the bell. Looking him in the eye I picked up the bells mobile unit (we have three floors) and took the batteries out.

He then started to yell I said i had plans elsewhere so another time - just shut the door in his face.

I have been trying not to raise an official dispute but today took the biscuit and i have dropped an email to our local policing team.
    Last edited by Tygermoth; 09-04-2018 at 7:11 AM.
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 8th Apr 18, 7:59 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    AAAGH! i've been ignoring all the knocking this afternoon but my opposite neighbour managed to catch my eye while i was in the utility and motion to me to come out - she's been knocking to try and let me know he's only gone and spray painted no parking on my side wall!!
    Last edited by Tygermoth; 08-04-2018 at 8:08 PM. Reason: was due to go on the post above but got kicked out then it wouldn't let me edit the post
    • G_M
    • By G_M 8th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    • 45,332 Posts
    • 54,346 Thanks
    G_M
    Report vandalism / criminal damage to the police.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 8th Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    • 10,629 Posts
    • 12,178 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    AAAGH! i've been ignoring all the knocking this afternoon but my opposite neighbour managed to catch my eye while i was in the utility and motion to me to come out - she's been knocking to try and let me know he's only gone and spray painted no parking on my side wall!!
    Originally posted by Tygermoth
    I'd say that's a very clear cut case of graffiti for which he should be prosecuted. Call the police in the morning.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 8th Apr 18, 8:43 PM
    • 927 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    HampshireH
    I hope your call with the police was called ahead of him damaging your wall.

I think you should be suggesting the police take this seriously from know on.

Your neighbours have witnessed his repeated efforts to harass you.

Are you keeping a lot of dates, times and how many times he knocks etc?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Apr 18, 9:41 PM
    • 39,037 Posts
    • 35,916 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Couple of no parking cones should do the trick, surely?

I do hope neither you nor he are planning to sell any time soon, because this will have to be declared as a neighbour dispute.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Riggyman
    • By Riggyman 8th Apr 18, 11:26 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Riggyman
    Take out a contract on him. 500-1000. Job done.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 9th Apr 18, 1:05 AM
    • 548 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    ashe
    Well that escalated quickly! Did your neighbour witness it?
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 9th Apr 18, 6:46 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    The police refused to come out citing a 'civil dispute'

I argued that was not the case especially with the knocking and bell ringing when he knows it's not us. They still didn't come out but i did get a call back from one of the ladies as they had called and spoken to him.

Apparently he didn't spray paint my wall.

"It was a random act of kindness from someone how has obviously seen what's been going on with the parking in the lane" he doesn't condone it but can see why they might have done it.

*fuming*
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Apr 18, 7:48 AM
    • 26,167 Posts
    • 94,971 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Haven't you a phone or other device on which to to record the next bout of harrassment?

That's if you paint your wall to remove the graffiti, because he's bound to bounce back again if you do.
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,511Users online

Martin's Twitter