Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 20th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    • 8,730Posts
    • 2,124Thanks
    50Twuncle
    NI Credits problem
    • 20th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    NI Credits problem 20th Mar 18 at 10:17 AM
    I am missing out on 8 years NI contributions and have discovered that I may be entitled to claim them from DWP....
    I am 54 years old

I am receiving a small Ill Health Pension from former employer.

I am disabled and working 10 hours a week (so not entitled to Tax Credits) - yet due to my payrate, I am earning under the NI rate !!

I have savings - so not entitled to ESA (in any case - have no recent NI credits for contribution based)

I see https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-credits/eligibility says "You're not on Employment and Support Allowance but you satisfy the conditions for it"

But selecting conditions - does not tell me what the specific conditions are.....
    Anyone offer me any help ??

Thanks
Page 3
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th Aug 18, 1:01 PM
    • 8,730 Posts
    • 2,124 Thanks
    50Twuncle

Sorry - its not an editable PDF......
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 9th Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Sorry - its not an editable PDF......
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    It is.

I dont know of your software compatability, but it is.

All of these roadblocks wont get you an award. Just sayin...
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Aug 18, 1:12 PM
    • 5,592 Posts
    • 4,244 Thanks
    sheramber
    from the link given

Only fill in this capability for work questionnaire (UC50) if you’re asked to do so, this is not a claim form.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Aug 18, 1:13 PM
    • 3,962 Posts
    • 3,785 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Your wife? Your family? Someone at your local council. All you need to do is sign.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    Great advice here, asking someone to fill the form in for you.

If you want to claim the NI credits you have to go through the process, the same for everyone.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 3,962 Posts
    • 3,785 Thanks
    poppy12345
    They will eventually send you one
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Which i why i stated this in post #39.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    • 8,730 Posts
    • 2,124 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    It is.

I dont know of your software compatability, but it is.

All of these roadblocks wont get you an award. Just sayin...

No it is not - They tell you to download it and fill it in using a black pen !
    • w06
    • By w06 9th Aug 18, 1:25 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    w06
    that's why i posted the parent page and not the direct link Sheramber.

I've just saved it, typed into it, and resaved it. it is an interactive form as its web address states. In fact if you scroll down the page at that link it ttells you so.

Whatever way you go about it you are going to have to complete the process the same as everyone else has to, no amount of 'yes but' answers will result in you not having to jump through exactly the same hoops as we all did.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 9th Aug 18, 1:28 PM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    No it is not - They tell you to download it and fill it in using a black pen !
    And IMMEDIATELY after:

Write in black ink and use CAPITAL LETTERS. If you want to, you can download a copy of the questionnaire to your computer and fill it in. Go to www.gov.uk and search for UC5

And OH LOOK

Fill in this form only if you!!!8217;ve been asked to do a Work Capability Assessment.

You can either print the form and complete using a pen or you can:

Save a copy of the form
    Open it in Adobe Acrobat Reader version 11 or later
    Fill it in on screen
    Print it and sign it
    The form explains where to send it. If you have any questions, please contact the office that asked you to fill it in.

Like I said, being awkward and pretending there is no way in the world you can fill in a simple form is not going to get you an award.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 10th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    • 8,730 Posts
    • 2,124 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    And IMMEDIATELY after:

Write in black ink and use CAPITAL LETTERS. If you want to, you can download a copy of the questionnaire to your computer and fill it in. Go to www.gov.uk and search for UC5

And OH LOOK

Fill in this form only if you!!!8217;ve been asked to do a Work Capability Assessment.

You can either print the form and complete using a pen or you can:

Save a copy of the form
    Open it in Adobe Acrobat Reader version 11 or later
    Fill it in on screen
    Print it and sign it
    The form explains where to send it. If you have any questions, please contact the office that asked you to fill it in.

Like I said, being awkward and pretending there is no way in the world you can fill in a simple form is not going to get you an award.

Sorry - but Adobe Acrobat does not let you edit a form - you need Acrobat pro for that....
    Anyway - I have an appointment at the JCP with the DEA - which should help !
    • molerat
    • By molerat 10th Aug 18, 11:52 AM
    • 19,734 Posts
    • 13,955 Thanks
    molerat
    Sorry - but Adobe Acrobat does not let you edit a form - you need Acrobat pro for that....
    Works fine for me in Adobe reader, it is an interactive form like most on the .gov domain. Fill in and print.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Aug 18, 11:57 AM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Works fine for me in Adobe reader, it is an interactive form like most on the .gov domain. Fill in and print.
    Originally posted by molerat
    I don't think you understand. There is no physical, technological or literal problem. He just doesn't want to do anything and expects things to either be done for him or done by him just saying how it is and everyone just accepting that.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Anyway - I have an appointment at the JCP with the DEA - which should help !
    Honestly there is no helping some people. As I have said already, throwing up pretend roadblocks and inventing imaginary issues will not get you an ESA award.

Ignoring all the help here will not get you an ESA award.

Telling everyone forms cant be filled in online will not you an ESA award.
    • w06
    • By w06 10th Aug 18, 12:57 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    w06
    yes but...

yes but...

yes but...

strangely I, also with illegible hand writing and unable to use the phone, managed to make a credits only ESA claim, which was ported to UC without really any difficulty at all. There are hoops, we all have to jump through the same ones.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 10th Aug 18, 1:46 PM
    • 2,625 Posts
    • 3,047 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    If completing an ESA form, and entering the ESA process, is too arduous for the OP, he could always purchase voluntary NI contributions. (Post 2016 under the nSP)
    https://www.royallondon.com/global/documents/goodwithyourmoney/topping-up-your-state-pension-guide.pdf

But, I expect there may be forms to complete........
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 11th Aug 18, 10:35 AM
    • 8,730 Posts
    • 2,124 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Update - (for anyone still interested)
    I have heard from JCP with instructions to fill in a UC claim on-line

The link requires me to create a UC account - done
    .....And to answer the questions - including under HEALTH :
    Does your condition restrict your ability to work or look for work?

"YES"

Do you have a fit note ? - I said "NO"

I was told that I could put NO until I had got one from my GP and carry on with the rest of the form

then......

"From which date have you been unable to work?"

But I AM able to work - just not full time

What do I put down here ?
    It won't let me proceed any further until this bit is completed.
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 11-08-2018 at 10:42 AM.
    • w06
    • By w06 11th Aug 18, 11:05 AM
    • 763 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    w06
    I had a similar issue, the software is written in a way that, as I think you said previously, it doesn't permit you to say that you're both disabled and able to work - the opposite of what inclusive employment strategies are supposed to do.

I can't recall for certain what I ticked but I think at that questions I added that day's date and then later on it offers you free text options and asks what work you could do. I made it clear there that I am disabled but consider myself fit for work and outlined what I could do, and also explained that there wasn't an option for disabled but fit to work.

When I had my job centre appointment I'd already been put in the not fit to look for work group, because I'd been assessed as that on ESA (which was credits only whilst I was a student) and I was a bit worried that I was contradicting this by logging job seeking activities. i didn't want to be claiming erroneously, the work coach went through all of my answers on the bit that you're doing now and said it was all fine and reflected reality.

So in summary, I'd add todays date, or if there's a specific date when you became disabled that date, and at the next free text opportunity (which will appear a few questions along) write a paragraph explaining that you put todays date and why. It's a poorly written application process
    Last edited by w06; 11-08-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 11th Aug 18, 11:11 AM
    • 12,071 Posts
    • 13,909 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Having done a bit of googling I am not totally sure that there is an option to have a NI credits claim only for UC in your circumstances.

I would give the Universal Credit helpline a call on Monday to check:

Universal Credit helpline (full service)
    Telephone: 0800 328 5644
    Textphone: 0800 328 1344
    Telephone (Welsh language): 0800 012 1888
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
    Calls to this number are free.

I wouldn't want you to go through the whole process of applying (as you know you are not entitled to any UC) to find out that your NI credits will not be paid.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 11th Aug 18, 11:16 AM
    • 8,730 Posts
    • 2,124 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I had a similar issue, the software is written in a way that, as I think you said previously, it doesn't permit you to say that you're both disabled and able to work - the opposite of what inclusive employment strategies are supposed to do.

I can't recall for certain what I ticked but I think at that questions I added that day's date and then later on it offers you free text options and asks what work you could do. I made it clear there that I am disabled but consider myself fit for work and outlined what I could do, and also explained that there wasn't an option for disabled but fit to work.

When I had my job centre appointment I'd already been put in the not fit to look for work group, because I'd been assessed as that on ESA (which was credits only whilst I was a student) and I was a bit worried that I was contradicting this by logging job seeking activities. i didn't want to be claiming erroneously, the work coach went through all of my answers on the bit that you're doing now and said it was all fine and reflected reality.

So in summary, I'd add todays date, or if there's a specific date when you became disabled that date, and at the next free text opportunity (which will appear a few questions along) write a paragraph explaining that you put todays date and why. It's a poorly written application process
    Originally posted by w06

Thanks - I'll confuse them by putting the date that I became disabled - 04/09/1990 - no idea whether it will be accepted though !
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 11th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    • 8,730 Posts
    • 2,124 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    What does it mean by "You can't add an entry to your journal until you've made a claim"
    on the webpage ?

I have been told that I can claim NI CREDITS based on my circumstances
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 11th Aug 18, 11:56 AM
    • 2,625 Posts
    • 3,047 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Having done a bit of googling I am not totally sure that there is an option to have a NI credits claim only for UC in your circumstances.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    I'd been wondering that.
    If no UC is payable (because of excess income / capital, etc) I seem to recall that the claim is eventually closed. I'm not sure it's possible to maintain a UC claim just for NI credits (without any UC payments being made). I suspect the computer is likely to say NO.

The OP may wish to look at this F of I question:
    "Please could you provide the regulations and/or guidance that describe the process for making a "credits only" claim for Universal Credit, when someone in a Full service UC area doesn't meet the NI contributions conditions for new style ESA or JSA, but also has too much income/savings for Universal Credit. "

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/claiming_new_style_esa_or_jsa_wh

If I read the response correctly, the process is that they are directed to claim JSA via a "JSANC1 form to complete and [an] .... interview" by a work coach. Then "The Work Coach will assess their entitlement to an NI credit, based upon the evidence in the form, inform them of what they need to do or keep on doing, and set them a fortnightly day of attendance."

How this works in practice is anyone's guess.
    I would be surprised if a UC call-handler or a JC work coach would have the faintest clue of this procedure.
    I suspect it was overlooked in the glorious design of UC thence the "There is no internal guidance for Decision Makers" comment. (And no provision in the way the UC computer was programmed to allow for this eventuality).

I'd be very interested to here how he gets on. Perhaps he could get a sensible family member to assist him through this process.
    If he meets a DWP brick wall, the OP may want to get his MP involved in this process.

Given the overwhelming financial benefit of voluntary class 3 NI contributions -
    c.£740 buys c.£245 per year of increased index linked SP entitlement; a payback period of 3 years.
    - the OP may just decide to purchase additional (post 2016) years now before the cost increases in April 2019.

If he's struggling with putting dates on forms and is asking "What does it mean by "You can't add an entry to your journal until you've made a claim", then I'm afraid I can't see the OP successfully negotiating this particular UC / legacy benefits minefield.
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 11-08-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,163Posts Today

6,792Users online

Martin's Twitter